MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Verbos Buchla 258/ LPG
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Verbos Buchla 258/ LPG
Roycie Roller
Has anyone had a go at either the 258 or LPG on his site-
http://www.simple-answer.com/DIY.html
If so, what were the results?
Luka
i haven't built either but was close to doing so for both

There are lpg designs out now with refined and extra features so i passed on that and the 258 apparently needs some value tweaks to get decent waveshapes. There is a bit of hooha about VCO using a 3080 to replace the original obsolete components, and just incase you want a perfect clone you should probably be aware it is a bit of a bastard child of 258 and electronotes V2 origins. i personally don't really care and will try build it both versions one day but i think my next vcos will be T-Zs so it is in the far distant backlog

if you do go for it check your pnp layout against pin and transistor pin outs to make sure it is the correct orientation as some are layouts have mixed up aspects.
Roycie Roller
Well, i've managed to pick up one of each & an sn-voice pcb & chip, so i guess i'll have a bit of a poke around on it. I'm not really expecting greatness as i'm just new to DIY, however the 258 might be cool to copy to breadboard & try developing other aspects to the circuit. I know there's an additional waveshaper circuit for it, and i'll probably try it with the cgs wave circuits. At this stage, it's experiment time...good to learn how oscillators are built & work!
Luka
well let me know how you go
im keen to hear it in action

if you need help with it give andrewf on electro-music a nudge about as he has built the 258
Roycie Roller
Will do! Andrewf- that dude's synth-in-a-stiff, aka 'Pinky' is mad! Dr. WHO meets Barbarella!
Just out of curiosity, is there that much difference between Verbos, Fonik & upcoming 292c LPG's? As far as i can tell, resonance varies slightly between circuits, but not much else.
Luka
probably little difference maybe a few resistor changes
that circuit has been published around the net for some time
im actually surprised it took this long for someone to do a run of pcbs
fonik
Luka wrote:

peter grenader is still making money from it. i was asked several times to do a PCB but have not had the guts to ask DonB for permission. thomas had (and he even was so kind to ask me before doing so!).

i'd say go for the djthomas PCB. it's authorized, it features the resonance modification in the technical best way. offering two independend on-board mixers you have many options...

BTW DonB gave his permission for a one shot PCB run. so don't miss it!
dkcg
fonik wrote:
Luka wrote:

peter grenader is still making money from it. i was asked several times to do a PCB but have not had the guts to ask DonB for permission. thomas had (and he even was so kind to ask me before doing so!).

i'd say go for the djthomas PCB. it's authorized, it features the resonance modification in the technical best way. offering two independend on-board mixers you have many options...

BTW DonB gave his permission for a one shot PCB run. so don't miss it!

The new youtube videos of DJThomasWhite's 292 clone is awesome, the resonance is really nice, very different than the M13. Makes me wish the M13 was self oscillating and more resonant.
Luka
if you already have an etched pcb i would go with it RR

you can always change the values of the resistors, hack a regen mod and add a bypass cap. they also added summing lines for the inputs and cv i think so that is a simple perf board job.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1