MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What's your all hardware setup?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author What's your all hardware setup?
Raytracer
I've always made music using computers. Never hardware. I'm over it and am considering trying an all hardware setup. There's lots of gear out there that looks interesting but I'm struggling to picture a complete setup. So I've come to Muffs for inspiration.

What's your all hardware setup? What kind of music do you make? Would you recommend your setup to someone else?
CoreInside
Roland TR 808
Roland TB 303
Roland SH 101
Teisco 60f
Fenix II

The tr808 clocks everything and triggers the inbuilt sequencers on the 101 and the fenixII. The sh101 triggers and sequences the Teisco 60f (layering two monos for one thicker sound). It's really easy to build up loops with this method.
DiscoDevil
I use Zaquencers for sequencing and various analog/digital synths and drum machines. For samples I use the Pioneer SP-16.

I make electronic stuff. Haha. The guitars were recorded in an earlier session on this one. I did the rest live, in one take with Akai Tomcat for drums and "FM" percussion noises, Roland SH2 and DSI OB6 for synths, Zaquencer sequencing, TC Nova Delay and Reverb pedals.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/discodevils/confidential[/s]
Hainbach
I am all hardware, with aSquarp Pyramid as the sequencing core, record to 1/4" tape, use digital for editing/uploading.

AdamJay
It changes every few months, but currently:

Analog Rytm
Analog Keys
Roland TM-2
Allen & Heath Qu-Pac

Will add a mono synth for the AK CV track later this summer. But can't decide.
In the lead for consideration is the Minitaur w/ Tech21 MIDImouse, or TherapsidMk2, or some kind of CV-centric semi modular synth voice.
Also considering the forthcoming Kenton Pro CV-to-MIDI, which would open up a few more options for AK CV track (Monologue, JP-08, JU-06)
booger
@Hainbach thumbs up
Scories
@Hainbach : What's that nice flutey sound in the beginning of the composition?
Richie Witch
My studio is all hardware now. I still use a DAW as a multi-track recorder, but I can run everything without the computer at all.

Lead synth - Korg MS2000R
Analog bass synth - Novation Bass Station Rack
Drum machine - Korg Electribe ER-1 (classic version)
FM synth/MIDI controller - Yamaha DX7-s
Wavetable synth/chaos generator - Eurorack
Scrathpad - Novation Circuit
Hainbach
Scories wrote:
@Hainbach : What's that nice flutey sound in the beginning of the composition?

That's a melange of sounds from the Emu Proteus 1+2 and guitar looped and pitched around into a Cocoquantus.

@booger: thx! :-)
soundinett
I´m hardware-only.
My setup changes all the time

right now:

Plague bearer quad
Jealouse heart
Flame clockwork
EHX Random tone generator
Korg Kaosspad quad
Ibanez baritone guitar

the sound:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/325657263" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /][/img]
chrisdermo
soundinett wrote:
I´m hardware-only.
My setup changes all the time

right now:

Plague bearer quad
Jealouse heart
Flame clockwork
EHX Random tone generator
Korg Kaosspad quad

the sound:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/325657263" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /][/img]

Anywhere I can download this? The 3 excerpts are amazing.
Xmit
mine tends to change over time, but I'm hoping I've finally nailed it down for the forseeable :

2 x Moog M-32 in 2 tier rack
Korg MS-20M (kit) + SQ-1
T.O SEM Pro
Studiologic Sledge 2 Black
Roland TR-09
GRP R24 sequencer ( v recent replacement for Doepfer Dark Time )
Eventide Space
Strymon TimeLine
Lexicon LXP-1
Boss RE-20
Boss TE-2 Terraecho
Boss DS-1
Yamaha MG102C mixer
ERM-Multiclock *

* the latter is for tracking to my DAW (which I still do, though I can record
straight to a Tascam digital field recorder thing too in stereo ) & being able to edit dead 'on the bar / beat' afterwards. The ERM syncs all the hardware perfectly to DAW.

oh - just remembered I have a SOMA Lyra-4 on order...mind you I've been on the list since last July, so F knows if I'll ever actually get the thing.... hihi
Grumble
Strictly DIY Hardware modular synthesizer (but with an Arduino in the modules)
chrisdermo
Currently I'm using this but setup is always in flux, and has portable versions etc. Will probably ditch the volcas in favour of some more interesting stuff soon:

Ciat Lonbarde Tetrax
Bugbrand Boardweevil 2012
Bugbrand Travel Weevil
Volca Bass
Volca Keys

LEP Multicassa
EHX Crash Pad x2
Tecbug Coron DS-8 Clone (doubles as a melodic synth)
Akai Tom Cat

Beatstep Pro
Keystep
Meng Qi Voltage Memory
Delptronics Bender sequencer x2
EHX 8 Step

Low Gain UTL 1/2 banana/3.5/6.3 converter box

Lots of fx pedals!

Sansui MX12 mixer
Rolls MX44s mixer
FMR Really Nice Compressor

Fostex x28h cassette 4 track recorder
Olympus SR-11 stereo microcassette recorder
Some crappy Alesis 8ch audio interface used for editing and basic mix operations only
Bodo1967
Monosynths:
Arturia Minibrute
(DIY) MFOS Sound Lab Mini (the one in my avatar pic)
(DIY) TTSH
Korg Volca Bass
(DIY, not yet finished) Jasper
(DIY, not yet finished) MFOS Sound Lab Ultimate & Expander

Polysynths:
Yamaha DX7IID
Yamaha DX21
Kawai K1
microKorg
Roland JX-03
(needs repair) modded Korg Poly-800

Drum machines:
Korg Volca Beats
Boss DR 550 mkII
(DIY, not yet finished) Um-Tss

Sampler:
Korg microSampler (mostly, but not exclusively used for Mellotron)

Sequencers:
Korg SQ-1
Kawai Q-80
Brother PDC 100
Yamaha QX5 and QY10
Zaquencer
Arturia Keystep
Arturia Beatstep Pro
(DIY, not yet finished) ARP 1601 clone

Other stuff:
(DIY, finished except for calibration and - hopefully not required - troubleshooting) MFOS 12 channel vocoder
(DIY, finished except for troubleshooting) self-designed custom keyboard for the TTSH and the MFOS Ultimate

Recording:
Tascam DP24 mkI

And that's just the more or less synth related stuff, and I didn't even list the FX pedals Dead Banana oops oops oops ...
soundinett
chrisdermo wrote:

Anywhere I can download this? The 3 excerpts are amazing.

Thank you, chrisdermo

I am working on a forth excerpt. So it will be an EP.
Which will be downloadable at Bandcamp when finished.
verstaerker
I planned my setup so I can play one whole track at once - so no multi tracking is needed
therefore i have enough sequencers and synths and enough channels on my mixer

I always only record a sum .. sometimes , for example if I want vocals , I record another layer
but I try to keep the work in the daw to minimum, as it happened to often that you loose the idea and the energy of a track if you spend to much time on finalizing it and always try to be able to edit all elements at any time

my studio looked half a year ago like this

how's the embedding of images handled here?
corpusjonsey
Mono keys: sh-101
Poly rack: MWXT
Sampler/MIDI Sequencer: Octatrack
MIDI interface
Midi controllers: QuNexus, Touche
Pedals: Delays, reverb, fuzz
9U Eurorack
Extras: OP-1, PO-32
Mixer: Onyx 820i
Digital recorder: PCM M10
Dual Tape deck
Bodo1967
verstaerker wrote:
how's the embedding of images handled here?

There's an 'Upload picture' button:

Clicking it displays a picture selection menu. After you sent and uploaded it, there'll be an "insert picture: standard" line. If you click 'standard', the image tag will be added to your post.

And here's at least one half of the stuff I mentioned above:

verstaerker
Bodo1967 wrote:

There's an 'Upload picture' button:

Clicking it displays a picture selection menu. After you sent and uploaded it, there'll be an "insert picture: standard" line. If you click 'standard', the image tag will be added to your post.

thanks!
slicetwo
I'm still learning how to go all hardware, but it's mostly elektron devices for me (OT, MD, MM) with a volca beats, fatman, 0coast, and virus c. I also have a few FX pedals and a kaoss pad. I'm still learning how to use all the gear together.
xthrasherx
I'm all hardware, but I'm still working out some trouble spots in my workflow (a combination of learning curves on newer equipment and physical arrangement in the studio) that prevent me from doing "one take" recordings cleanly. I still use the computer for mixing and occasionally arranging stems, depending on the project. I mostly make (well attempt anyway) industrial metal, ambient / drone, and noise tracks with a limited foray into more standard edm stuff. I'm very much a complete n00b though for that style having spent most of my musical life in punk, hardcore, and metal.

Gear:
Sequencer: Social Entropy Engine, Ensoniq SQ-1, built-in sequencers on other gear as well
Drum Machine: Analog Rytm, circuit bent SR-16
Poly Synth: Virus A
Sampler: Gotharman Little Deformer 2
Noise / Drone / Occasional Mono Synth: 12u Eurorack
Guitar / Bass: Kemper Profiling Amp
Fx: Pedals, effects in various other units such as the LD2, rytm, or eurorack
Mixer / Interface: Behringer XR18

Sample (industrial metal):
[s]https://soundcloud.com/weston-woodward/dark-rituals-1/s-OFrvV[/s]
Yeggman
When I'm making house music, I'm mostly all hardware, and I'm ironing out a process/workflow for doing things in one take, with a bit of editing afterwords. Like a few other folks mentioned, my main challenge is physical layout / size of the space.

I use the computer for multi-tracking, and I do mixing in a DAW - although these days mixing for me is usually just setting levels & doing automation, unless there's some issue that needs fixing. I try to get everything sitting together right through sound design & arrangement, so that when it's recorded it's basically already mixed. Ideally the computer is basically a tape machine, and after I record a take it's "done". Just need to practice!

Drum machine:
Machinedrum UW mkII. Also usually sequence everything else with the Machinedrum

Monos:
DSI Mopho SE
Atlantis i& uMidi n an m32 case

Poly:
Prophet 600 gligli

Motu midi express XT to connect em all together.

Audio goes into a Motu 828mkII then to my mac mini.

Monitors are focal CMS65

Also various acoustic percussion that I'll record w/ microphones, either multitracking the DAW or to make into loops for the Machinedrum.

I'd like an old FM synth - a DX7-IID or something - and maybe a more robust sequencer. I have an Isla Kordbot on the way when they start shipping out, so I'll see how that interacts with the Machinedrum sequencer, might be all I need. Another dedicated sampler might be nice, too.

When I'm making art music / academic music / experimental music / sound art, or writing music for a modern dance group, I use the computer much more. In particular, I use Max/MSP with a midi fighter Twister as a controller. Still don't use VSTs in those situations, roll my own with Max, and rarely do anything like conventional "mixing" in that context.
rhythmdial
I use a MIDIhub for my main clock as it can send the same tempo to 6 machines, and if any of those have MIDI thru it is easy to add another into the setup.
Also frees up MIDI info to each machine, lets them all stay in time and some of them spit out analog/sync clocks for modular (or SH-101 etc.)

I am a big fan of the TR-626 for drum sequencing, its not in the picture but that's my main drum brain since it does so much, so easily and not hard to navigate.

I have some other hardware too but this kind of setup in the photo is a typical rig for me, plus a 104HP skiff of eurorack for more drums, a synth voice and then filters for any of these machines audio and some delay modules too.

I prefer hardware FX too so I have a few cheap racks like the RFX-1000, plus a DP/4 and a Multivox MX-201 tape echo, all run thru an A&H MixWizard 20:8:2

I make all kinds of techno, slow, fast, soft, hard, cheap, thoughtful, anything is fair game.
I love this kind of a setup! Where almost each machine has its own sequencer. that lets me combine patterns from each to mix until I find something I really like, then I can build more on top of that recipe.
Also not expensive here, but also I have no keyboard synths, I am a very step sequencer minded person.

CoreInside
@hainbach, is that pas spectrum analyzer on your lappy?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5