MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Korg Monologue thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Korg Monologue thread
AdamJay
Surprised there is not a dedicated thread for the Monologue here.

What are you doing with your Monologue? I love to hear how deep and far people are going with this synth. Either by discussing creative process or posting videos.

Bring 'em on!

With Kenton's Pro CV-to-MIDI coming to market later this month, I could use my Analog Keys' CV track to sequence it (64 steps, conditional trigs!) and send 2 CV LFOs (converted to MIDI CC#s), plus the onboard Monologue LFO, plus Monologue's 4 motion sequence lanes as pseudo LFO = 7 LFOs!
And until the Kenton is available, I'm getting by with the onboard sequencer.
GovernorSilver
I'll probably get one very soon, thanks to Perfect Circuit Audio's sale. My plans for it though are not so ambitious -yet.

From what I can gather in the user manual, sequence data is stored as part of a patch. MIDI Program Change can be used to change patches. But what I can't find is whether the onboard sequencer can be started/stopped by MIDI message as well. Would you happen to know?
GovernorSilver
GovernorSilver wrote:

From what I can gather in the user manual, sequence data is stored as part of a patch. MIDI Program Change can be used to change patches. But what I can't find is whether the onboard sequencer can be started/stopped by MIDI message as well. Would you happen to know?

Ok I ordered one. Maybe I'm the only person left who's still interested, lol.

Looks like the Monologue can be configured so that a key press will start the sequencer. So maybe a Program Change followed by a MIDI Note On will start the sequencer, and a Note Off to stop it. Will experiment of course.
djshiva
GovernorSilver wrote:
I'll probably get one very soon, thanks to Perfect Circuit Audio's sale. My plans for it though are not so ambitious -yet.

I have it responding to MIDI. Starts sequencer perfectly. Not sure if you were looking for anything more complicated than start/stop along with everything else.
GovernorSilver
djshiva wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

I have it responding to MIDI. Starts sequencer perfectly. Not sure if you were looking for anything more complicated than start/stop along with everything else.

What MIDI command did you use to start/stop the sequencer?

I just couldn't find start/stop in the MIDI implementation chart in the manual.
AdamJay
GovernorSilver wrote:
djshiva wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

What MIDI command did you use to start/stop the sequencer?

I just couldn't find start/stop in the MIDI implementation chart in the manual.

From the manual.

GovernorSilver
Here is where I really give away my lack of MIDI knowledge, particularly in the area of MIDI clock. I hope y'all will bear with my questions that follow...

So what you're saying is that if I make my Monologue a MIDI clock slave to my Octatrack, starting the Octatrack sequencer will automatically start the Monologue sequencer?

I thought MIDI clock is only for making two sequencers play at the same tempo - start and stop not included.
AdamJay
My Monologue review after a couple weeks of ownership:

Monologue has a vast, wide range for a synth with such a simple architecture.
The wave shaping creates wonderful overtones, and the drive changes the character of the synth entirely. Plenty of interesting sweet spots for imperfection, and getting beyond the bread and butter.

Like Elektrons, its onboard sequencer should be considered a part of the whole.
Having note, slide, and the (4) motion sequence paths on three separate mutable lines makes it a true "axe."
It has to be played to be truly enjoyed and understood.
Like the Warwick Thumb Bass I heard in high school, once I actually played it, it made sense as an instrument in a way that could never be imagined indirectly.

I bought it with the idea of spending another $175 on the Kenton Pro CV to MIDI converter so that I could sequence it with my AK.
It's onboard sequencer, 16 step limitation not withstanding, is so effective as a part of the instrument that I didn't bother with AK sequencing.

That sequencer has everything I wish the BS2 had. And makes the overall synth more appealing to me. That is to say the sequencer (+ clever architecture of the synth) makes up for Monologue having half the LFOs, half the envelopes, far fewer filter options, smaller keys, and no sub oscillator.

$299 is a steal. $449 would have been more than fair.
AdamJay
GovernorSilver wrote:

So what you're saying is that if I make my Monologue a MIDI clock slave to my Octatrack, starting the Octatrack sequencer will automatically start the Monologue sequencer?

I thought MIDI clock is only for making two sequencers play at the same tempo - start and stop not included.

So long as OT is sending midi start/stop, Monologue is listening for it when Monologue's Clock Source is "Auto (MIDI)"
GovernorSilver
AdamJay wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

So long as OT is sending midi start/stop, Monologue is listening for it when Monologue's Clock Source is "Auto (MIDI)"

Thanks. Now I feel kinda dumb for manually pressing play on my TT-303 when I had it set to MIDI clock slave from the OT... after pressing play on the OT.

I guess if I want the OT to play a pattern with only internal samples for a few bars, then kick in the Monologue sequencer, this will not be possible if the Monologue is the MIDI clock slave to the OT. I'll have to turn the Monologue audio output all the way down and fade it in. Now that I think about it, that's what I did with the TT-303.
lordymosh
I have had the Monologue for 5 months now. Its my first synth and I love it.

Here's a live take of a dark ambient track I did on the Monologue (delay and reverb from Ableton).

https://soundcloud.com/user-387339959/170710-drone
TheRosskonian
lordymosh wrote:

Here's a live take of a dark ambient track I did on the Monologue (delay and reverb from Ableton).

Nice work! Was that the Monologue's built-in distortion in there as well? Sounds pretty nice.
lordymosh
TheRosskonian wrote:
lordymosh wrote:

Nice work! Was that the Monologue's built-in distortion in there as well? Sounds pretty nice.

Yeah I had the drive knob at about 50%. The drive knob is very good to use to beef up the sound!
GovernorSilver
lordymosh wrote:
TheRosskonian wrote:
lordymosh wrote:

Yeah I had the drive knob at about 50%. The drive knob is very good to use to beef up the sound!

Good work! SlayerBadger!
GovernorSilver
Aphex Twin interviews ex-Korg engineer Tats - lots of talk about the Monologue and microtuning. Also some Soundcloud tracks.

http://item.warp.net/interview/aphex-twin-speaks-to-tatsuya-takahashi/
lootacow
I want one, but I keep buying euro confused
AdamJay
I'm considering buying a second Monologue.

Such a great axe for the $.
GovernorSilver
Who wouldn't want to buy a 2nd or 3rd after hearing Aphex Twin's "Korg funk 5" track w/ 3 Monologues, among other synths.
mafouka
Can a monologue owner be a saint and upload the afx scales off the editor n post the Scala files up ??? That'd be super awesome.
jshell
I just have so much fun playing on the thing and jamming on it but haven't recorded much of the Monologue.. Although I'm noticing it in the background already of some earlier experiments I did this year..

Anyways, I did manage to record a quick jam one day with the Monologue and the PO-32 Tonic Pocket Operator. Hell of a combination, those two.

That Aphex song/interview has me excited about returning to one of this years many abandoned ideas (abandoned primarily due to laziness) where I want to do a Monologue + Volca song using the OT as sequencer. I think if I'm clever enough I can sequence at least three such things at once through my mIO4 (may be able to get a 4th item in), and then route them all into OT's inputs for fx... Hmmm.

But the Monologue - love it. So much fun to just plug in and play.
IanEye
can the monologue do anything that the minilogue can't do?

sorry if that is a silly question.

edit: i found some video reviews online.
so, to answer my own question, it does look like it does some different things. thanks.
SPIKE the Percussionist
i just ordered a red one today!

had it sent to a guy that is going to rip the keys off and turn it into a desktop noiz box.
jshell
SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:

had it sent to a guy that is going to rip the keys off and turn it into a desktop noiz box.

Should've just got a Monotribe! wink that's a killer little noise box (and still has an even faster LFO than the Monologue and its MS-20 based internals just pulsate and scream).

I really love this whole family of instruments. Such great little noise makers across the board from that original Monotron to today's Monologue. I'd love to see the post-conversion pictures of your unit!
AdamJay
SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:

Great! nanners hyper

My only wish for the Monologue was that it had a smaller, Volca style KB, to get it down to module size but still have a few octaves (I reckon you could fit 4 or 5 if volca sized) for note input on that sequencer. I'd trade velocity for those few inches of reduced footprint.

Korg, please give us a module version!
hinterlands303
Can the Monologue transmit microtunings over midi? My guess is no but I thought I'd check.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4