MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Korg Monologue thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Author Korg Monologue thread
softroom
For those who are interested in envelopes, a wonderful resource has just come back online. Well worth browsing through the whole thing at leisure but this link is pertinent.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/envelopes-gates-triggers

Check out figure 14.
estin
does anyone own two? They go so cheap used I'm tempted to snag another for 4 vco's or even a stereo monologue.
j_dowe
any tips on getting a bell-like sound out of a monologue? i know that is typically done with fm synths, but anything in the ballpark would be cool.

i'm asking for a 7-year old, who wants something christmas-y sounding ...
GovernorSilver
j_dowe wrote:
any tips on getting a bell-like sound out of a monologue? i know that is typically done with fm synths, but anything in the ballpark would be cool.

i'm asking for a 7-year old, who wants something christmas-y sounding ...

Try the ring modulator. You also want the shortest possible attack and long decay time. Also, play with the Shape knobs.
j_dowe
GovernorSilver wrote:

Try the ring modulator. You also want the shortest possible attack and long decay time. Also, play with the Shape knobs.

Tried it, but couldn't get anywhere near a bell sound. I guess it's not really practical to get there w/ a subtractive synth.

In any event, I still love the monologue. I've been trying to find something my kids could get into.. and it's perfect.
sizone
I got a pretty decent one going. you can use it as long as you promise to start planning for halloween patches now.

start with vco1 and 2 set to tri.

vco2 on top octave.

turn ring mod on. turn vco1 all the way down and vco2 all the way up in the mixer.

cut off and resonance both at about 12 o'clock.

a/d eg. 0 attack, 12 o'clock for the decay.

finally, where you get most of the enharmonic metalness, set the lfo to tri. turn it to fast, rate at 3 o'clock, play with the int until it sounds like a bell.

then go back through the rest of the parameters until it sounds like the bell you want it to sound like.
dj2sday
how are the envelopes/VCA? I could not get over them in the minilouge. Clicks and pops all over the place even after all the regular " Fixes". I liked the overall sound so I would love the mono to be better.
GovernorSilver
sizone wrote:
I got a pretty decent one going. you can use it as long as you promise to start planning for halloween patches now.

vco2 on top octave.

turn ring mod on. turn vco1 all the way down and vco2 all the way up in the mixer.

finally, where you get most of the enharmonic metalness, set the lfo to tri. turn it to fast, rate at 3 o'clock, play with the int until it sounds like a bell.

then go back through the rest of the parameters until it sounds like the bell you want it to sound like.

Excellent advice!

Some hints can also be found in this vid around the 13 min. mark and later:
GovernorSilver
dj2sday wrote:
how are the envelopes/VCA? I could not get over them in the minilouge. Clicks and pops all over the place even after all the regular " Fixes". I liked the overall sound so I would love the mono to be better.

You mean can you dial out the attack on the envelope? Sure, no prob.

j_dowe
sizone wrote:

vco2 on top octave.

this is closest i've heard yet!

we're not worthy
dj2sday
GovernorSilver wrote:
dj2sday wrote:

Have you ever used a minilogue? If you have you would know what I mean. This video is what the mini does well too. Thank you though.
GovernorSilver
dj2sday wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
dj2sday wrote:

Have you ever used a minilogue? If you have you would know what I mean. This video is what the mini does well too. Thank you though.

Nope, I just have a Monologue. Do you hear a pop in the above video? If so, can you tell us at what timestamp?

I have read about click/pop issues on the Minilogue in the past - there was a specific combination of filter cutoff and envelope settings to get it? It's been a couple of years, so I can't remember the voodoo required to make it click/pop.

I have not heard any similar complaints about the Monologue, nor have I noticed it myself. Don't forget there are significant differences in the synth architecture - the Monologue is not one voice of the Minilogue.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Page 4 of 4