MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Korg Monologue thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Korg Monologue thread
AdamJay
Surprised there is not a dedicated thread for the Monologue here.

What are you doing with your Monologue? I love to hear how deep and far people are going with this synth. Either by discussing creative process or posting videos.

Bring 'em on!


With Kenton's Pro CV-to-MIDI coming to market later this month, I could use my Analog Keys' CV track to sequence it (64 steps, conditional trigs!) and send 2 CV LFOs (converted to MIDI CC#s), plus the onboard Monologue LFO, plus Monologue's 4 motion sequence lanes as pseudo LFO = 7 LFOs!
And until the Kenton is available, I'm getting by with the onboard sequencer.
GovernorSilver
I'll probably get one very soon, thanks to Perfect Circuit Audio's sale. My plans for it though are not so ambitious -yet.

From what I can gather in the user manual, sequence data is stored as part of a patch. MIDI Program Change can be used to change patches. But what I can't find is whether the onboard sequencer can be started/stopped by MIDI message as well. Would you happen to know?
GovernorSilver
GovernorSilver wrote:

From what I can gather in the user manual, sequence data is stored as part of a patch. MIDI Program Change can be used to change patches. But what I can't find is whether the onboard sequencer can be started/stopped by MIDI message as well. Would you happen to know?


Ok I ordered one. Maybe I'm the only person left who's still interested, lol.

Looks like the Monologue can be configured so that a key press will start the sequencer. So maybe a Program Change followed by a MIDI Note On will start the sequencer, and a Note Off to stop it. Will experiment of course.
djshiva
GovernorSilver wrote:
I'll probably get one very soon, thanks to Perfect Circuit Audio's sale. My plans for it though are not so ambitious -yet.

From what I can gather in the user manual, sequence data is stored as part of a patch. MIDI Program Change can be used to change patches. But what I can't find is whether the onboard sequencer can be started/stopped by MIDI message as well. Would you happen to know?


I have it responding to MIDI. Starts sequencer perfectly. Not sure if you were looking for anything more complicated than start/stop along with everything else.
GovernorSilver
djshiva wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
I'll probably get one very soon, thanks to Perfect Circuit Audio's sale. My plans for it though are not so ambitious -yet.

From what I can gather in the user manual, sequence data is stored as part of a patch. MIDI Program Change can be used to change patches. But what I can't find is whether the onboard sequencer can be started/stopped by MIDI message as well. Would you happen to know?


I have it responding to MIDI. Starts sequencer perfectly. Not sure if you were looking for anything more complicated than start/stop along with everything else.


What MIDI command did you use to start/stop the sequencer?

I just couldn't find start/stop in the MIDI implementation chart in the manual.
AdamJay
GovernorSilver wrote:
djshiva wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
I'll probably get one very soon, thanks to Perfect Circuit Audio's sale. My plans for it though are not so ambitious -yet.

From what I can gather in the user manual, sequence data is stored as part of a patch. MIDI Program Change can be used to change patches. But what I can't find is whether the onboard sequencer can be started/stopped by MIDI message as well. Would you happen to know?


I have it responding to MIDI. Starts sequencer perfectly. Not sure if you were looking for anything more complicated than start/stop along with everything else.


What MIDI command did you use to start/stop the sequencer?

I just couldn't find start/stop in the MIDI implementation chart in the manual.


From the manual.

GovernorSilver
Here is where I really give away my lack of MIDI knowledge, particularly in the area of MIDI clock. I hope y'all will bear with my questions that follow...

So what you're saying is that if I make my Monologue a MIDI clock slave to my Octatrack, starting the Octatrack sequencer will automatically start the Monologue sequencer?

I thought MIDI clock is only for making two sequencers play at the same tempo - start and stop not included.
AdamJay
My Monologue review after a couple weeks of ownership:

Monologue has a vast, wide range for a synth with such a simple architecture.
The wave shaping creates wonderful overtones, and the drive changes the character of the synth entirely. Plenty of interesting sweet spots for imperfection, and getting beyond the bread and butter.

Like Elektrons, its onboard sequencer should be considered a part of the whole.
Having note, slide, and the (4) motion sequence paths on three separate mutable lines makes it a true "axe."
It has to be played to be truly enjoyed and understood.
Like the Warwick Thumb Bass I heard in high school, once I actually played it, it made sense as an instrument in a way that could never be imagined indirectly.

I bought it with the idea of spending another $175 on the Kenton Pro CV to MIDI converter so that I could sequence it with my AK.
It's onboard sequencer, 16 step limitation not withstanding, is so effective as a part of the instrument that I didn't bother with AK sequencing.

That sequencer has everything I wish the BS2 had. And makes the overall synth more appealing to me. That is to say the sequencer (+ clever architecture of the synth) makes up for Monologue having half the LFOs, half the envelopes, far fewer filter options, smaller keys, and no sub oscillator.


$299 is a steal. $449 would have been more than fair.
AdamJay
GovernorSilver wrote:

So what you're saying is that if I make my Monologue a MIDI clock slave to my Octatrack, starting the Octatrack sequencer will automatically start the Monologue sequencer?

I thought MIDI clock is only for making two sequencers play at the same tempo - start and stop not included.


So long as OT is sending midi start/stop, Monologue is listening for it when Monologue's Clock Source is "Auto (MIDI)"
GovernorSilver
AdamJay wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

So what you're saying is that if I make my Monologue a MIDI clock slave to my Octatrack, starting the Octatrack sequencer will automatically start the Monologue sequencer?

I thought MIDI clock is only for making two sequencers play at the same tempo - start and stop not included.


So long as OT is sending midi start/stop, Monologue is listening for it when Monologue's Clock Source is "Auto (MIDI)"


Thanks. Now I feel kinda dumb for manually pressing play on my TT-303 when I had it set to MIDI clock slave from the OT... after pressing play on the OT.

I guess if I want the OT to play a pattern with only internal samples for a few bars, then kick in the Monologue sequencer, this will not be possible if the Monologue is the MIDI clock slave to the OT. I'll have to turn the Monologue audio output all the way down and fade it in. Now that I think about it, that's what I did with the TT-303.
lordymosh
I have had the Monologue for 5 months now. Its my first synth and I love it.

Here's a live take of a dark ambient track I did on the Monologue (delay and reverb from Ableton).

https://soundcloud.com/user-387339959/170710-drone
TheRosskonian
lordymosh wrote:
I have had the Monologue for 5 months now. Its my first synth and I love it.

Here's a live take of a dark ambient track I did on the Monologue (delay and reverb from Ableton).

https://soundcloud.com/user-387339959/170710-drone


Nice work! Was that the Monologue's built-in distortion in there as well? Sounds pretty nice.
lordymosh
TheRosskonian wrote:
lordymosh wrote:
I have had the Monologue for 5 months now. Its my first synth and I love it.

Here's a live take of a dark ambient track I did on the Monologue (delay and reverb from Ableton).

https://soundcloud.com/user-387339959/170710-drone


Nice work! Was that the Monologue's built-in distortion in there as well? Sounds pretty nice.


Yeah I had the drive knob at about 50%. The drive knob is very good to use to beef up the sound!
GovernorSilver
lordymosh wrote:
TheRosskonian wrote:
lordymosh wrote:
I have had the Monologue for 5 months now. Its my first synth and I love it.

Here's a live take of a dark ambient track I did on the Monologue (delay and reverb from Ableton).

https://soundcloud.com/user-387339959/170710-drone


Nice work! Was that the Monologue's built-in distortion in there as well? Sounds pretty nice.


Yeah I had the drive knob at about 50%. The drive knob is very good to use to beef up the sound!


Good work! SlayerBadger!
GovernorSilver
Aphex Twin interviews ex-Korg engineer Tats - lots of talk about the Monologue and microtuning. Also some Soundcloud tracks.

http://item.warp.net/interview/aphex-twin-speaks-to-tatsuya-takahashi/
lootacow
I want one, but I keep buying euro confused
AdamJay
I'm considering buying a second Monologue.

Such a great axe for the $.
GovernorSilver
Who wouldn't want to buy a 2nd or 3rd after hearing Aphex Twin's "Korg funk 5" track w/ 3 Monologues, among other synths.
mafouka
Can a monologue owner be a saint and upload the afx scales off the editor n post the Scala files up ??? That'd be super awesome.
jshell
I just have so much fun playing on the thing and jamming on it but haven't recorded much of the Monologue.. Although I'm noticing it in the background already of some earlier experiments I did this year..

Anyways, I did manage to record a quick jam one day with the Monologue and the PO-32 Tonic Pocket Operator. Hell of a combination, those two.



That Aphex song/interview has me excited about returning to one of this years many abandoned ideas (abandoned primarily due to laziness) where I want to do a Monologue + Volca song using the OT as sequencer. I think if I'm clever enough I can sequence at least three such things at once through my mIO4 (may be able to get a 4th item in), and then route them all into OT's inputs for fx... Hmmm.

But the Monologue - love it. So much fun to just plug in and play.
IanEye
can the monologue do anything that the minilogue can't do?

sorry if that is a silly question.

edit: i found some video reviews online.
so, to answer my own question, it does look like it does some different things. thanks.
SPIKE the Percussionist
i just ordered a red one today!

had it sent to a guy that is going to rip the keys off and turn it into a desktop noiz box.
jshell
SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
i just ordered a red one today!

had it sent to a guy that is going to rip the keys off and turn it into a desktop noiz box.


Should've just got a Monotribe! wink that's a killer little noise box (and still has an even faster LFO than the Monologue and its MS-20 based internals just pulsate and scream).

I really love this whole family of instruments. Such great little noise makers across the board from that original Monotron to today's Monologue. I'd love to see the post-conversion pictures of your unit!
AdamJay
SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
i just ordered a red one today!

had it sent to a guy that is going to rip the keys off and turn it into a desktop noiz box.


Great! nanners hyper

My only wish for the Monologue was that it had a smaller, Volca style KB, to get it down to module size but still have a few octaves (I reckon you could fit 4 or 5 if volca sized) for note input on that sequencer. I'd trade velocity for those few inches of reduced footprint.

Korg, please give us a module version!
hinterlands303
Can the Monologue transmit microtunings over midi? My guess is no but I thought I'd check.
cscairney
mafouka wrote:
Can a monologue owner be a saint and upload the afx scales off the editor n post the Scala files up ??? That'd be super awesome.


Check out the WATMM (we are the music makers) apex twin forums
GovernorSilver
Received my Monologue. Damn, it looks better than expected in blue w/ the wood trim. Sounds great too.

Next step is to order an AC power supply and daisy chain cable (to power my Volcas) from here: http://kvgear.com/products
cscairney
cscairney wrote:
mafouka wrote:
Can a monologue owner be a saint and upload the afx scales off the editor n post the Scala files up ??? That'd be super awesome.


Check out the WATMM (we are the music makers) apex twin forums


"Download the monologue librarian and you can extract the scala files from there buuuuuuud" from that forum
mafouka
cscairney wrote:
cscairney wrote:
mafouka wrote:
Can a monologue owner be a saint and upload the afx scales off the editor n post the Scala files up ??? That'd be super awesome.


Check out the WATMM (we are the music makers) apex twin forums


"Download the monologue librarian and you can extract the scala files from there buuuuuuud" from that forum


Lovely! This is indeed the digital reniscance.



Thanx buuuuuud *high five* SlayerBadger!
GovernorSilver
hinterlands303 wrote:
Can the Monologue transmit microtunings over midi? My guess is no but I thought I'd check.


The product page says this:

"The monologue has a set of factory tunings and well as 12 user slots and is compatible with MIDI Tuning Standard 3Byte messages. "

Unfortunately, the manual does not have any info on the Monologue's MTS (MIDI Tuning Standard) implementation. It just says, at the bottom of the MIDI implementation chart, "Consult your local Korg distributor for more information on MIDI implementation". So I guess I"lll have to bug Perfect Circuit Audio about it, because I bought my Monologue from them.

This website says both bulk tuning dumps (non-realtime) and real-time tuning messages are part of MTS:
http://www.microtonal-synthesis.com/MIDItuning.html

That doesn't mean the Monologue fully implements everything in MTS. I guess the quickest way to find out is to download the Monologue Librarian software and play with it. The website says "In addition to managing your programs, the librarian allows the editing, importing and exporting of microtuned user scales."
SPIKE the Percussionist
desktop version of the noiz weapon arrived...
really neat with the keys ripped off...
more info about it here: https://ask.audio/articles/check-out-this-red-korg-monologue-desktop-s ynth

barely_human
Bassist (former useless piano player), long-time synth sound lover here. Aside from some toying in my DAW I've never really been a synth player until I traded in an old trustworthy camcorder for a friend's MFB Nanozwerg.

I've recently started to have a real blast doing things OTB with the Nanozwerg (+a 25 SL MkII), a delay pedal, and a Volca Beats. Would there be too much overlap between the Monologue and what I already have, or can my desire to get this cool, battery-powered thingie be somewhat justified?

I'm in no rush to explore new and different things just for the sake of doing it, so I wouldn't mind having kind of the same flavor but now getting the chance to have bass or leads running with that 16-step sequencer while I play the other part live. And a synth to throw in the backpack with some headphones to fool around anywhere. Maybe adding the delay + Volca + my Zoom H4n if I'm in the mood for some painful tracking.

Also had a look at Novation BS II, Microbrute and some polyphonic virtual analogs in that price range, but the Monologue keeps calling me. Got big fingers but I kinda believe in strength thru pain, so you won't hear me complain about the small keys.

So cute and self-contained.
GovernorSilver
barely_human wrote:

I've recently started to have a real blast doing things OTB with the Nanozwerg (+a 25 SL MkII), a delay pedal, and a Volca Beats. Would there be too much overlap between the Monologue and what I already have, or can my desire to get this cool, battery-powered thingie be somewhat justified?


I don't think there would be much overlap. You can get some Buchla-like metallic stuff quite easily with the Shape control on each oscillator. You also get microtuning, up to 4 "tracks" of motion sequencing, a sequencer, etc.
GovernorSilver
Wanted to see if I could make a drone with the little guy. Found out how to get the sequencer tempo lower than 56 BPM - had to do a wee bit of menu-diving to do it - nothing like my Korg M3 though! Drone achieved with 15 BPM, and long attack and decay times, with some help from a delay pedal.
AdamJay
Anyone else using Monologue as a DAW VST controller?
I love its compact size for this. SlayerBadger!
Had the knobs and sequencer controlling Monark the other day, recorded that sequencer note data into a MIDI clip in Ableton Live so that I could then use the keys for live playing of AD Phosphor 2 additive synth chords while still tweaking Monark with the knobs. Now I am happy it has the slim keybed and isn't a module

Bummer that the sequencer doesn't send MIDI CC#s from motion lanes, but you can't have it all for $299.

Cured my gas for the SE-02 too!
Rex Coil 7
AdamJay wrote:
Anyone else using Monologue as a DAW VST controller?
I love its compact size for this. SlayerBadger!
Had the knobs and sequencer controlling Monark the other day, recorded that sequencer note data into a MIDI clip in Ableton Live so that I could then use the keys for live playing of AD Phosphor 2 additive synth chords while still tweaking Monark with the knobs. Now I am happy it has the slim keybed and isn't a module

Bummer that the sequencer doesn't send MIDI CC#s from motion lanes, but you can't have it all for $299.

Cured my gas for the SE-02 too!
I've got two of them (red and blue). Together they can make a HELL of a fat ... FAT .. assed four VCO unison sound. It takes some detuning to get the beating effect going that I'm fond of, but once it's done these things simply sing.

Working as solo but sync'd devices they really compliment each other.

I tempo sync to an Alesis SR16 (I love those sampled ROM drum sounds, I guess playing with a live drummer for years created a solid bias). Using one of the Monologues as a sortof beat machine in sync with the drum machine, with the way individual steps of the sequencer may be muted allows me to really find some happy-assed beats as the SR16 and the Monologue do their interplay. Hit play on the SR16 and they both start up in sync together.

Yes, there's minimal features ... the single EG and the single LFO present challenges, but as been said many times here in Muffwigglers, those limits create opportunities.

"Chopping" a Monologue is intriguing (removing the keybed). As long as NONE of the features or capabilities are lost it seems like a really nice idea. It would go along with my chopped Minibrute nicely ....



Not sure if I'm keeping both Monologues (space issues) but I can say that if you really dig these things and are considering a 2nd one ... go for it! They're going for around $250 used, go that route. They play nicey-nice together, as well as separately.

Korg knocked it out of the park with this one. So glad it isn't built like the Volca toys, too. My brother has the Volca Bass and the Volca Sampl and to be honest I'm so not impressed. For all I know the only difference may be the aluminum panel on the Monologue (vs the Volcas) when it comes to construction, but it feels more convincing.

Happy. nanners
windspirit
Hey so I am loving my monologue but I noticed that when using the internal clock the tempo changes whenever you change a sequence. Is there an option to turn this off? I havent found anything in the manual.
Rex Coil 7
windspirit wrote:
Hey so I am loving my monologue but I noticed that when using the internal clock the tempo changes whenever you change a sequence. Is there an option to turn this off? I havent found anything in the manual.
Tempo is saved per-preset. Change the tempo in a given preset to suit your needs, save the preset. Done.

There is no "master tempo" that I am aware of.

It's a $299 synth, so....... yea.
GovernorSilver
windspirit wrote:
Hey so I am loving my monologue but I noticed that when using the internal clock the tempo changes whenever you change a sequence. Is there an option to turn this off? I havent found anything in the manual.


Like the other person I haven't found a master tempo setting either.

So you will have to edit the tempo of both sequence patterns, so that they have the same value.
windspirit
Seems like a pretty big oversight since it has enough room for a tempo knob and a menu, its not like its a volca or something (even though the volca loads its memory slots at the current tempo and not at the tempo that the preset was saved as.)
GovernorSilver
I'd rather be able to control tempo at the pattern level, if I had to choose between tempo control at the global level and pattern level tempo control.

It's nice to be able to play some faster patterns, then switch to a pattern already preset at a slower tempo - without having to change tempo at the global level - because that's what the song called for.

You could try syncing the Monologue to external clock and see if that gets you what you want. But really the easiest is just set all your programs to the same tempo. If you're going to be programming your own sequences anyway, setting the tempo is quick and painless.
GovernorSilver
AdamJay wrote:
Anyone else using Monologue as a DAW VST controller?
I love its compact size for this. SlayerBadger!


Finally tried it in this role for the first time last night - in my case, controlling Cubasis 2 on iPad. Didn't bother using the onboard knobs, but good to know....

Anyway, it's part of a challenge to demonstrate if one could record a MIDI sequence into Cubasis 2 with swing feel, despite the 48ppq or whatever resolution.
jabberwalky
windspirit wrote:
Hey so I am loving my monologue but I noticed that when using the internal clock the tempo changes whenever you change a sequence. Is there an option to turn this off? I havent found anything in the manual.


Sync it from the inputs with a trigger. I have clock coming from a volca. This also improves the sequencer because it waits for the beat, rather than resetting the sequence on key-down.
windspirit
Ok so I am having more difficulties with the monologue. I feel like I am getting to know this thing really well and unfortunately that means I am learning everything that doesnt work on it.

A) Seems like there is a bug that when I save a sequence and there is a step that is off, when I reload the sequence I can no longer turn the step back on. This seems like a straight up bug so Im wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

B) My girlfriend has been enjoying the monologue so much that she got a minilogue to compliment it. We were envisioning using one synth to sequence the other so that they were sort of tied together but and maybe the monologue could turn the minilogue sequence info chords or arpeggiate it or something.

This worked famously but the monologue sends out CC messages for every single parameter that you change (including the mod wheel and bank changes) so literally every single knob you turn on your monologue changes the same parameter on the minilogue. There is no way to turn this off. Me and the gf had a kind of facepalm moment when we realized this. Its like buying two synths to have one big synth. Were they expecting people to buy 4 of these to have 4 voice polyphony? I cant really understand the rationale behind this decision. I love korg and I live the sound of these synths but every single thing that I buy from them seems to have some glaring achiles heel that makes them completely unusable for the purpose that I bought them for. Im planning on building a MIDIbud to be able to filter out the CC messages but as far as Im concerned I shouldnt have to, especially since there are so many unused slots for the global menu. Seriously disappointed. Dead Banana
jshell
There are a lot of synths that don't expect to be used as controllers for other synths. I usually advice people against doing such a thing anyways. Most synths expect their MIDI Out to be recorded by a DAW or other sequencer (ie, I can record the MIDI data and CC messages into my Octatrack).

The Novation Circuit did this for a long time and only recently got the feature to "transmit only notes, not CC messages".

I'd love to see this option added to the Monologue especially. It's fun to play the Monologue and a Volca Bass and route the Volca Bass's audio through the Monologue for a super-stack of oscillators. But then one knob turn on the Monologue and the Volca goes off in a funny direction.

Best way to pair them is probably just to use the simple sync cable. Keep their tempos locked, use their sequencers and strengths independently.
/\/\/\/\/\/
Does the monologue transmit its custom scales? i.e. if you did use it as a basic controller keyboard, just notes not parameters, can you play another module/synth in the custom scale loaded on the monologue?
jshell
/\/\/\/\/\/ wrote:
Does the monologue transmit its custom scales? i.e. if you did use it as a basic controller keyboard, just notes not parameters, can you play another module/synth in the custom scale loaded on the monologue?


I don't believe so. Certainly not in the micro-tuning. MIDI just sends note numbers, not pitches. I know on the Monologue you can also do whole note mapping, like C4 to E5, but I don't know if pressing C4 would then transmit E5 over midi.

I would love to see Korg release some more utility modules like the SQ-1. I know that Tatsuya and Richard D James worked together on a MIDI hacker that would host custom scales (maybe from Scala files?) and add pitch bend messages so that they could be played on synths that didn't allow them. The pitch bend would allow for the micro-tuning.
/\/\/\/\/\/
jshell wrote:
/\/\/\/\/\/ wrote:
Does the monologue transmit its custom scales? i.e. if you did use it as a basic controller keyboard, just notes not parameters, can you play another module/synth in the custom scale loaded on the monologue?


I don't believe so. Certainly not in the micro-tuning. MIDI just sends note numbers, not pitches.


Yeah i'd just seen some unclear references to it maybe doing this, and I know it would be doable as you say with offset pitch bend info, so wondered if they'd implemented it that way... Like you say, a little utility to do that easily accesibly like the SQ1 would be great (altho I think there are a couple of stand alone things that do a similar thing, albeit either DIY or on the pricey side). If it was a built in feature of a small and relatively affordable synth like the monologue that'd make it an instant buy for me.
jshell
First - I'll say I'm completely talking out of my ass here and going under an assumption as I've never tested recording MIDI out of a patch with a custom scale on Monologue. But this is my expectations:

I would expect the note information sent out by the Monologue to just be the MIDI standard (0-127). Going on the assumption that the MIDI out is best used to record and playback MIDI from another sequencer, the scale information is part of the patch. So playing back note 40 (I think that's middle C) would play C according to the scale of the patch.

So let's say you tuned middle C up two steps to note D, and shifted its tuning +14 cents.

If Monologue sends out note 42 and some pitch bend as part of the MIDI recording, then that's what the external sequencer has in it.

Play the external sequencer back to the Monologue, and the sequencer would send '42' and pitch bend to the Monologue - which might then shift your note another two steps and another 14 cents! Or, at the very least, shift your note by 14 cents.

So if the Monologue transmits this information, it would have to then filter it out upon reception to not appear to be suddenly transposing data. If you changed the scale settings on the patch, that MIDI playback would be even further offset. And if the Monologue did filter out this information, then you wouldn't be able to play your custom Monologue scales on an external keyboard controller or sequencer.

So no, I do not expect the Monologue itself to transmit whole or microtonal scale settings on a per-note basis through MIDI.
Unborn Gore
"Transmit"?

I just love what this thing does all by itself. Maybe sync up some drums, and destroy with that thing.
Phil999
there's often a bit of confusion about microtuning. Generally it is better to have a sound generator that does microtuning, not the note generator.

The Monologue does exactly this, it outputs standard notes from keyboard or sequencer, and applies the microtonal scales in the synthesiser. Therefore it is not possible to use Monologue's microtuning in external gear.

For Eurorack there are a couple of solutions. With Tubbutec's uTune module for example it is simple to load the same .scl file as in Monologue.
/\/\/\/\/\/
jshell wrote:
So no, I do not expect the Monologue itself to transmit whole or microtonal scale settings on a per-note basis through MIDI.


No, I don't expect it will either - fortunately I guess there are other things will do that, although possibly a little less satisfyingly with no bonus monosynth attached - it would have been pretty nice, though!

Phil999 wrote:
Tubbutec's uTune
Yep I saw the thread here when they were developing it, looks a fun module. Midi to mirotonal midi is only planned though, not currently something it can do, from the notes on the site unfortunately. Looks super useful anyway, for those with Eurorack.

Will probably end up picking up a monologue up at some point.
Phil999
for MIDI to microtonal MIDI there are some software solutions like Scala with its built-in Relayer.

The Monologue is a very good piece of gear in every aspect. Very good editor software that allows quick arrangment of presets and scales.
GovernorSilver
windspirit wrote:

B) My girlfriend has been enjoying the monologue so much that she got a minilogue to compliment it. We were envisioning using one synth to sequence the other so that they were sort of tied together but and maybe the monologue could turn the minilogue sequence info chords or arpeggiate it or something.


I suspect all these low-cost Korg analogs that have built-in sequencers were designed with the idea is you run each sequencer independently and use a sync cable to sync them up. None of them were designed to be a "master" to any of the others.

So just use the Minilogue's own sequencer to sequence itself and the Monologue's for the Monologue. Connect the two with a sync cable. Now both should be in sync.
GovernorSilver
/\/\/\/\/\/ wrote:
Does the monologue transmit its custom scales? i.e. if you did use it as a basic controller keyboard, just notes not parameters, can you play another module/synth in the custom scale loaded on the monologue?


Somebody asked the same question earlier in the thread, but I haven't gotten around to testing the Monologue's MTS implementation (see earlier posts).

Of course, even if it does transmit tunings via MTS, the receiver must also understand MTS. Very few synths have any MTS implementation at all. This article lists some: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_tuning_standard
/\/\/\/\/\/
GovernorSilver wrote:
MTS


Ah, that was what I'd seen referred to, couldn't remember the acronym or where it was. Thanks!
Phil999
didn't know about MTS.
windspirit
GovernorSilver wrote:
windspirit wrote:

B) My girlfriend has been enjoying the monologue so much that she got a minilogue to compliment it. We were envisioning using one synth to sequence the other so that they were sort of tied together but and maybe the monologue could turn the minilogue sequence info chords or arpeggiate it or something.


I suspect all these low-cost Korg analogs that have built-in sequencers were designed with the idea is you run each sequencer independently and use a sync cable to sync them up. None of them were designed to be a "master" to any of the others.

So just use the Minilogue's own sequencer to sequence itself and the Monologue's for the Monologue. Connect the two with a sync cable. Now both should be in sync.


My point is that they included this feature which could have easily had an option to turn it off. The monologue sequencer is moderately unique in that it has an actual keyboard and the 16 step sequencer so its great for playing live or could be great for layering/ sequencing other synths. It sucks that they crippled a unique feature in case someone wanted to do what, record their knob turns into a DAW? Seems short sighted to me.
chvad
operative word is budget. kind of goes hand in hand with "less" and or short sighted. sometimes it's intentional. the Elektron A4 AK for examples. Great sequencers. Won't sequence external (midi) gear. Why compete with their own products? Case in point... Korg have the electribes. They'll sequence external gear all day. im sure its not an oversight on korgs behalf. They just want you to buy more gear.
GovernorSilver
windspirit wrote:


My point is that they included this feature which could have easily had an option to turn it off. The monologue sequencer is moderately unique in that it has an actual keyboard and the 16 step sequencer so its great for playing live or could be great for layering/ sequencing other synths. It sucks that they crippled a unique feature in case someone wanted to do what, record their knob turns into a DAW? Seems short sighted to me.


The Minilogue also has a keyboard and 16-step sequencer, so I'm still unclear as to why you feel a need to sequence it from the Monologue, instead of having the Minilogue run its own sequencer, with a sync cable connecting the two (assuming you want both sequencers to be in sync).

Why don't you want to use the Minilogue sequencer to sequence... the Minilogue? Why does it have to be the Monologue?
GovernorSilver
chvad wrote:
operative word is budget. kind of goes hand in hand with "less" and or short sighted. sometimes it's intentional. the Elektron A4 AK for examples. Great sequencers. Won't sequence external (midi) gear. Why compete with their own products? Case in point... Korg have the electribes. They'll sequence external gear all day. im sure its not an oversight on korgs behalf. They just want you to buy more gear.


The Monologue and Minilogue were designed by Tatsuya "Tats" Takahashi, while the Electribes were not.

Tats has admitted in interviews to designing synths primarily for himself - minimal techno seems to be his thing. There's definitely something minimalist in all his designs.

As to why there are quirks like MIDI CC messages that can't be turned off, who knows... I didn't buy my Monologue thinking it'd be my master sequencer for all my Volcas and whatnot, thats for sure.
windspirit
We do it both ways, minilogue sequencing monologue as well as monologue sequencing minilogue. The monologue is more immediate since recording in new notes replaces them instead of overdubbing and all 16 steps are available at once. Technically wouldnt adding the cc transmit feature require more work than just leaving it alone?
GovernorSilver
windspirit wrote:
We do it both ways, minilogue sequencing monologue as well as monologue sequencing minilogue. The monologue is more immediate since recording in new notes replaces them instead of overdubbing and all 16 steps are available at once. Technically wouldnt adding the cc transmit feature require more work than just leaving it alone?


woah

That's a very different way of thinking. I prefer to keep things simple, until I'm forced to try something harder. Good luck with that.

I plan to use an external sequencer for my Monologue and Volcas when the time comes, as the Monologue's internal sequencer can also act as a "super LFO/modulator" instead of the traditional step sequencing role.
dubonaire
I have to say that when I considered paying only $300 for a monosynth with a keyboard I didn't get too hung up on what external sequencing features it didn't have. I never saw it as a master device but definitely something to be played. It's cheaper than many Euro oscillators alone.
GovernorSilver
The Monologue sequencer is pretty coupled to the internal synth engine. With only 16-steps, you can at best sketch out a musical idea, or use it for very repetitive music, if you want to use it the traditional way. The real power is in the 4 parameter automation lanes - thus using the sequencer as a super-LFO to add a lot of movement/life to your sound.

I think the MIDI CC send is intended to be recorded into a DAW or other master MIDI sequencer, so that when you hit play on the master sequencer, the MIDI CCs reproduce the intended performances of the envelope, filter, etc.

Thus you can hit play on your Pyramid/Cirklon/Ableton Live-loaded laptop, then wave your hands in the air to exhort your gyrating dance crowd, while Pyramid/Cirklon/Ableton plays your hott beatz and does all your filter sweeps, wobbles, and whatever on your Monologue for you.
jabberwalky
One of my biggest issues with the Monologue is the envelope behavior.

I don't like how it resets to zero on every key press. It should behave more like older envelopes and continue at the level it was on last key press.
windspirit
dubonaire wrote:
I have to say that when I considered paying only $300 for a monosynth with a keyboard I didn't get too hung up on what external sequencing features it didn't have. I never saw it as a master device but definitely something to be played. It's cheaper than many Euro oscillators alone.


Im trying to use it like a groove box away from the computer. We liked it enough to get a minilogue and a totally arbitrary feature made it so that we couldn't use both synths together unless we wanted to only use analog sync. Just seems short sighted to me.

Even stuff like the keystep doesn't really have the same kind of sequencing features as the monologue where there is a combo of an actual keyboard and 16 step x0x style sequencer combined. Im sure there are other similar options out there but off the top of my head I can't think of anything, especially not in the price range.
GovernorSilver
windspirit wrote:

Im trying to use it like a groove box away from the computer. We liked it enough to get a minilogue and a totally arbitrary feature made it so that we couldn't use both synths together unless we wanted to only use analog sync. Just seems short sighted to me.


Oh man... If you wanted a groovebox, you should have just gotten a groove box.

With your Monologue-Minilogue setup you're making your life harder than it needs to be. The sequencers on both synths are poorly suited to constructing and playing whole songs, unless your music is very simple and repetitive.

Since you sound unhappy w/ the Monologue, you should sell it and get an Electribe instead. Heck, sell the Minilogue too. A current model Electribe runs about $400 new. The Novation Circuit might be worth checking out too - there's the regular version and the one that comes with built-in analog monosynth for more money.
windspirit
I actually have a circuit already. Im part of the electribe group on facebook and have done a fair bit of research, it is largely people complaining about bugs and features that are poorly implemented. Ive messed with one in person and it just doesn't sound that interesting to me.

I feel like you folks are missing the point here. The minilogue has the feature that I am talking about built in (turning off MIDI CC messages for the knobs). The monologue doesn't. The monologue came out after the minilogue. Who decided that this wasn't an important feature?

Again, Im building the external gear to filter out the MIDI CC messages, again I love just about everything else about the monologue (except for the bug that I mentioned earlier). Again I feel like the omission of this (already implemented in the sister synth) feature is just bone headed design.
GovernorSilver
windspirit wrote:


I feel like you folks are missing the point here. The minilogue has the feature that I am talking about built in (turning off MIDI CC messages for the knobs). The monologue doesn't. The monologue came out after the minilogue. Who decided that this wasn't an important feature?

Again, Im building the external gear to filter out the MIDI CC messages, again I love just about everything else about the monologue (except for the bug that I mentioned earlier). Again I feel like the omission of this (already implemented in the sister synth) feature is just bone headed design.


Well, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I still don't get why you really would choose the Monologue's sequencer, over that of the Circuit's or Minilogue to sequence the Minilogue. It seems like you're doing things the hard way. BTW, if you don't use the Minilogue's own sequencer, you give up the 4 lanes of parameter automation.

OTOH, it's not my intention to put you on the spot about your choice. I'm sure you have your reasons for doing what you do. Good luck with your MIDI CC filter project.
estin
Still really digging my monologue. Most fun, and best sounding mono I have owned. I'd love to see a monologue + with 37-44 korg slim keys, 3 vco's, 2 full ADSR's plus a multimode filter. Would buy instantly. I'm tempted to snag the KARP oddy and MS20 mini due to similar form factor.
ziggomatic
Agree, I am still absolutely loving the Monologue, and also finding myself lusting after an MS20. Cirklon + Monologue has been endless amounts of fun.

Also even considering getting the Minilogue at some point because of how much fun i've been having with the Mono. Great job on these Korg.
softroom
jabberwalky wrote:
One of my biggest issues with the Monologue is the envelope behavior.

I don't like how it resets to zero on every key press. It should behave more like older envelopes and continue at the level it was on last key press.


You and I must be in a very small minority of people who notice/care about this. Someone in Korg does know how to code superb envelopes though as those of the Radias are particularly good. But this rtz behaviour has cropped up here and there since the Prophecy; it even appeared in the MonoPoly VST. When I pointed out that isn't how a real MonoPoly behaves, the guys at Korg essentially replied 'tough titty'.
Panason
It's not the same company that made serious synths like the MS series, the Wavestation, Prophecy, Wavedrum, Radias....
Rex Coil 7
softroom wrote:
jabberwalky wrote:
One of my biggest issues with the Monologue is the envelope behavior.

I don't like how it resets to zero on every key press. It should behave more like older envelopes and continue at the level it was on last key press.


You and I must be in a very small minority of people who notice/care about this. Someone in Korg does know how to code superb envelopes though as those of the Radias are particularly good. But this rtz behaviour has cropped up here and there since the Prophecy; it even appeared in the MonoPoly VST. When I pointed out that isn't how a real MonoPoly behaves, the guys at Korg essentially replied 'tough titty'.
Using the "TIE" (and/or perhaps the "REST") feature within the sequencer provides a sorta-kinda facsimile to that affect.

Realtime? Dunno. I don't use my Monologue as a realtime keyboard (per se). The keyboard is nothing more than a means of entering sequencer notes as well as the occassional edit or transposing a sequence on the fly. After that, the keyboard may as well be little buttons that are painted like keys.

I use mine to sync-up with my drum machines. As a part of a groove ensemble (Monologue plus SR-16) with the way the notes on the Monologue are switchable on and off, in combination with the drummer, it creates a very nice, BEASTY, groove ensemble. It's so simple to include/drop out a note/beat on the monologue, and with a running drum groove it works out to be tons of fun.

If one wishes for more features (such as switchable multi/single triggering) then you're going to have to spend more money. I feel as though the Monologue is ridiculously low priced for the contents within it's box! But it was never meant to be a realtime performance synth with a feature laden keybed that permits expressive playing. Set your sights (much!) higher if that's your intention.

Start looking at man sized keyboards and synths if that's your end goal.

To me, a performance synth keyboard has 61 keys, with full-on velocity (both attack velocity and release velocity) and well executed after touch. This describes most any synth outfitted with a FATAR keybed (one of their better "synth touch" models such as the TP-9). It should be noted that the Minimoog D reissue is outfitted with a TP-9, as are the 61 note Kurzweil synths, the Dot Com QKB61, and a few others that escape me at this instant. None of those listed synthesizers are $300 bucks. The bare bones Dot Com 61 note keybed is $475.00 .... and that's for just a keybed with MIDI I/O. No wheels, no buttons, no wooden sides, no power supply, no LCD screen. That should give folks an idea of what it costs to have full featured realtime playing ability. The 37 key version of the Dot Com is still $375.00

I'm just attempting to make a point here.

So if you're wanting Minimoog quality performance features (like having the ability to switch between multiple triggering and single triggering), you're going to have to spend more money than $300.00. Features like that come standard on synths designed for actually playing them with their keyboards. "Mini keys" or "slim keys" are not keyboards, Those are on/off switches that happen to appear like little keyboards.

Sorry for all of the tough love, but let's be honest with ourselves. Instruments and devices such as the Monologue, Minibrute, and so on are designed down to a cost. To me, the Monologue is an outstanding little synth, I dig the modern sounds it creates, with a ton of live performance features. But playing live with one, using the supplied keyboard, isn't it's sword arm. Use a (far) better keyboard/synth that was designed for that, MIDI them together, go like hell! You still won't have single triggering, unless you use the "TIE" feature in a prepared sequence.

If you want "it all", you're gonna have to spend "it all" to get there. These are simply facts.

(not subbed, btw).

cool
softroom
For those who are interested in envelopes, a wonderful resource has just come back online. Well worth browsing through the whole thing at leisure but this link is pertinent.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/envelopes-gates-triggers

Check out figure 14.
estin
does anyone own two? They go so cheap used I'm tempted to snag another for 4 vco's or even a stereo monologue.
j_dowe
any tips on getting a bell-like sound out of a monologue? i know that is typically done with fm synths, but anything in the ballpark would be cool.

i'm asking for a 7-year old, who wants something christmas-y sounding ...
GovernorSilver
j_dowe wrote:
any tips on getting a bell-like sound out of a monologue? i know that is typically done with fm synths, but anything in the ballpark would be cool.

i'm asking for a 7-year old, who wants something christmas-y sounding ...


Try the ring modulator. You also want the shortest possible attack and long decay time. Also, play with the Shape knobs.
j_dowe
GovernorSilver wrote:

Try the ring modulator. You also want the shortest possible attack and long decay time. Also, play with the Shape knobs.


Tried it, but couldn't get anywhere near a bell sound. I guess it's not really practical to get there w/ a subtractive synth.

In any event, I still love the monologue. I've been trying to find something my kids could get into.. and it's perfect.
sizone
I got a pretty decent one going. you can use it as long as you promise to start planning for halloween patches now.

start with vco1 and 2 set to tri.

vco2 on top octave.

turn ring mod on. turn vco1 all the way down and vco2 all the way up in the mixer.

cut off and resonance both at about 12 o'clock.

a/d eg. 0 attack, 12 o'clock for the decay.

finally, where you get most of the enharmonic metalness, set the lfo to tri. turn it to fast, rate at 3 o'clock, play with the int until it sounds like a bell.

then go back through the rest of the parameters until it sounds like the bell you want it to sound like.
dj2sday
how are the envelopes/VCA? I could not get over them in the minilouge. Clicks and pops all over the place even after all the regular " Fixes". I liked the overall sound so I would love the mono to be better.
GovernorSilver
sizone wrote:
I got a pretty decent one going. you can use it as long as you promise to start planning for halloween patches now.

start with vco1 and 2 set to tri.

vco2 on top octave.

turn ring mod on. turn vco1 all the way down and vco2 all the way up in the mixer.

cut off and resonance both at about 12 o'clock.

a/d eg. 0 attack, 12 o'clock for the decay.

finally, where you get most of the enharmonic metalness, set the lfo to tri. turn it to fast, rate at 3 o'clock, play with the int until it sounds like a bell.

then go back through the rest of the parameters until it sounds like the bell you want it to sound like.


Excellent advice!

Some hints can also be found in this vid around the 13 min. mark and later:
GovernorSilver
dj2sday wrote:
how are the envelopes/VCA? I could not get over them in the minilouge. Clicks and pops all over the place even after all the regular " Fixes". I liked the overall sound so I would love the mono to be better.


You mean can you dial out the attack on the envelope? Sure, no prob.

j_dowe
sizone wrote:
I got a pretty decent one going. you can use it as long as you promise to start planning for halloween patches now.

start with vco1 and 2 set to tri.

vco2 on top octave.

turn ring mod on. turn vco1 all the way down and vco2 all the way up in the mixer.

cut off and resonance both at about 12 o'clock.

a/d eg. 0 attack, 12 o'clock for the decay.

finally, where you get most of the enharmonic metalness, set the lfo to tri. turn it to fast, rate at 3 o'clock, play with the int until it sounds like a bell.

then go back through the rest of the parameters until it sounds like the bell you want it to sound like.


this is closest i've heard yet!

we're not worthy
dj2sday
GovernorSilver wrote:
dj2sday wrote:
how are the envelopes/VCA? I could not get over them in the minilouge. Clicks and pops all over the place even after all the regular " Fixes". I liked the overall sound so I would love the mono to be better.


You mean can you dial out the attack on the envelope? Sure, no prob.




Have you ever used a minilogue? If you have you would know what I mean. This video is what the mini does well too. Thank you though.
GovernorSilver
dj2sday wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
dj2sday wrote:
how are the envelopes/VCA? I could not get over them in the minilouge. Clicks and pops all over the place even after all the regular " Fixes". I liked the overall sound so I would love the mono to be better.


You mean can you dial out the attack on the envelope? Sure, no prob.




Have you ever used a minilogue? If you have you would know what I mean. This video is what the mini does well too. Thank you though.


Nope, I just have a Monologue. Do you hear a pop in the above video? If so, can you tell us at what timestamp?

I have read about click/pop issues on the Minilogue in the past - there was a specific combination of filter cutoff and envelope settings to get it? It's been a couple of years, so I can't remember the voodoo required to make it click/pop.

I have not heard any similar complaints about the Monologue, nor have I noticed it myself. Don't forget there are significant differences in the synth architecture - the Monologue is not one voice of the Minilogue.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 4
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group