MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Using Compression in live modular settings
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Using Compression in live modular settings
RGB
Is anyone using compression in live eurorack settings? I was side chaining the bass drum in my set up for a while and then moved over to a more stereo oriented work flow and was wondering if anyone thinks it is worthwhile and HP to use stereo mix bus compression or any other suggestions someone might have in getting the drums to punch through the mix
ersatzplanet
For me, and for the type of music I typically make, the main use of compression is with very high ratios settings, used as a hard limiter. This is mainly to act as a "speaker saver" for the PA I will be using.
notmiserlouagain
ersatzplanet wrote:
For me, and for the type of music I typically make, the main use of compression is with very high ratios settings, used as a hard limiter. This is mainly to act as a "speaker saver" for the PA I will be using.

Yes, I have used simple RNLA for that with good results.

Much more important to get the sound ok via PA and speakers.

If you play stuff like this, a compressor might come in handy too:
felixer
ersatzplanet wrote:

this is a good reason ... getting a pa with mucho reserve is even better.
ster
Instead of compression, I've always tended to use just a slight bit of saturation on the amplitude peaks, also functioning as a "speaker saver" to tame the transients. I feel that compressors on certain synthesizer signal types make it a bit too "grabby".
snakejaw
I often use a compressor before and after my Sherman Filterbank. Before to even out the incoming signal when I want the FB to be more "controlled". After to save my ears, headphones, speakers when I inadvertently turn a knob and it creates and explosion (!)
Hainbach
I use the Bugbrand Stereo compress to both save speakers and shape the sound. For the powwow live streams I organize in Berlin we have one on the mixer to protect from clipping. I found the Bugbrand so essential that I won't play without it.
mt3
Two compressors: fast for transients and slow opticalesque for smoothing.
Mindset to have is you're in a pseudo-mastering environment while working on a mix live in real-time.
durwin
I like two styles: one for hard popping drums (alla Idioteque) and one to just gently squeeze the whole mix in to place.
The Grump
I slap a dbx 166 into the master insert as a speaker saver. Makes the house engineers breathe easier.
slumberjack
i take a alesis nanocomp used for 40$ with me to the gigs and use it as a limiter, so that i don't have to worry about going wild on the cutoff. actually i like to take the fmr rnc with me too to gompress the master out befor the limiter, it's nice on high transients i think, but try to keep my live setup as small as possible.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1