New Modular Noises

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: ignatius, Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

New Modular Noises

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat May 19, 2007 12:31 am

Check this out, I'm CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY sleep deprived and quite unsane at the moment, and i did something stupid

i got the idea to totally waste a shitload of time instead of sleeping, and patch up my modular so that every LED was lit, to take some pictures. pictures coming soon.

but to get all the LEDs to light, of course I had to patch many modules. so i patched them just however i could to make them light up

by the time they were all lit, there were a lot of patchcords out.

so i figured i should hear it. but most of the modules weren't connect together, it was all just like an lfo to something to make it light up, over and over, etc.

so i figured i would make a big semi-random audio and cv routing out of the mess. the only criteria was that every module that had lights must be participating in the patch. also i didn't want to re-do everything, since it actually took a while just patching to make the lights all lit up. so i wanted as few cable changes as possible, but EVERYTHING that was lit up needed to be in the patch. it was actually a bit of a challenge.

anyway, i got it all styled out. using tons of mixers and signal routing. i hadn't heard it yet though, i wanted to just make the patch according to the above criteria and listen to it afterwards. so i did

i expected pretty much garbage. white noise or screeching or whatever. i had my final filtres and my time machines and my klang werk all just on full clipping, so i could light their 'clipping' led :lol: so i really expected pure shit

and......well it wasn't at all what i expected. i mean, it's still kinda shitty, but way, way, way cooler than i thought. rhythmic and kinda mellow.

i basically finished the patch, turned the volume on the output vca to nothing, and turned on my speakers, and fired up my PC and hit record, not knowing what to expect.

i raised the volume on the output vca slowly, and i've got the recording right here for you to check out

this was all generated by blind patching for light

there's some lfos that are slowly sweeping things around, and some faster ones that are generating the rhythmic pulse that you hear. this was all just the patch. in the last 60 seconds of the recording, i start playing with a couple of modules, the main filter (boogie) near the end of the patch, and the delay and regen times on the time machine that ended up a bit more 'downstream' in the patch

but everything up to the last 60 seconds is the patch on it's own. i was really really surprised at how cool it turned out. also i'm really really freakin' tired, red-eye home from san fran last night and i haven't slept today and it's 1:27am and i'm feeling like a monster. so probably tomorrow i'll wake up and this totally sucks and i'm embarrassed that i put it up there on the internet, but there you have it, let insanity prevail. in any case, I DIDN'T MAKE THIS. the patch cords and the leds conspired with each other and ended up calling all the shots.

pics soon

www.muffwiggler.com/music/lights.mp3

about 5.3mb

also if you are adventurous and want a 16bit wav to play with in your editor, there's

www.muffwiggler.com/music/lights.wav

about 14.somecrap MBs

did i say pics soon yet? pray i don't fall asleep first

oh yeah

it took exactly 55 patch cords
Last edited by Muff Wiggler on Sat May 19, 2007 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sat May 19, 2007 11:21 am

You gotta love capturing these moments! Seriously, very cool :)
Totally random robot speaking conversations, its great seeing what happens when you dont know what will happen.

also if you are adventurous and want a 16bit wav to play with in your editor, there's

www.muffwiggler.com/music/lights.wav
:D :wink:

Cool post

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat May 19, 2007 5:27 pm

Now that I hear this again today after some rest, I have to say the influence of the noise ring is very very apparent. Those loud high pitched bursts are SO noise ring

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sat May 19, 2007 9:50 pm

Send more Muff 8)
I so want to do more noises with your templates :) really :)

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sat May 19, 2007 10:01 pm

I have to say the influence of the noise ring is very very apparent.
I thought the "influence" was blinky lights.......?
Blindly patching for blinky lights.....
How can the noise ring play an influence here :)
Defend your case!

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Sat May 19, 2007 10:33 pm

no i mean that it has an strong influence in the sound of that patch - i.e. when listning to the resultant patch, it's quite apparent that there's a noise ring somewhere in the sound. there's no other single modules that really seem to 'out' themselves blatently in what i'm hearing with that mp3, but that can't be said of the noise ring.

but things were patched for blinkiness only.

hmm, interesting observation here:

the noise ring is the blinkiest of modules, by far. best light show of any single unit. so obviously it went into the patch first

and in the resultant 'sound of blinky', it kinda sounds like a noise ring

funny, that

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Mon May 21, 2007 11:34 pm

Zerosum likes working with Muff 8)
Mufflights
Theres the cut short messy version

Now Im gonna be sleep deprived :lol:
Gonna be a long day tomorrow

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Tue May 22, 2007 7:06 pm

holy crap dude!!! 8)

thanks! this is awesome

i mean AWESOME! i really dig it, so dark and brooding, and i really like where it goes a lot more than where it started

i do indeed hear that virus in there hehehe, man i gotta get one of those some day, just the basic one even

man

super super cool

thanks...i need to add some drums or something, i'm so tight for time right now it sucks. just found out i gotta go to vegas thursday :(

also, damn i'm sorry i haven't gotten those knobs in the mail yet. :cry: they are on my desk, and i've been to the office literally 2 entire days since i originally said i'd send them, bah so busy i need a new job

i'll try to get them out tomorrow for you for sure dude

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Tue May 22, 2007 9:06 pm

i'll try to get them out tomorrow for you for sure dude
No worries :)
i do indeed hear that virus in there hehehe, man i gotta get one of those some day, just the basic one even
Go for the C, I wish I had the C but dont really care to put my money towards getting one, there are more effects,moog filter emulations,WAY BETTER flexible routing configurations for the LFOs and mod matrix.

yeah its a good swiss army knife.
just found out i gotta go to vegas thursday
Hows the coffee situation? :lol:

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

more update

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Wed May 23, 2007 8:11 am

disregard...
Last edited by Chuck E. Jesus on Wed May 23, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muff Wiggler
wait, what?

Post by Muff Wiggler » Wed May 23, 2007 10:47 am

nice man, i'm jealous

that thing is gonna rock :)

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Wed May 23, 2007 12:28 pm

Muff Wiggler wrote:nice man, i'm jealous

that thing is gonna rock :)
shit, that was supposed to be a pm to zerosum...i was wondering where i sent that :oops:

:lol:

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Wed May 23, 2007 6:07 pm

:lol:

Return to “Your Tunes Here”