MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best Eurorack Filters Today (2017)?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author Best Eurorack Filters Today (2017)?
puggle
A lot of the threads I found on this topic are outdated by several years, sometimes full of modules that aren't even made any more. So, time to update!

Fwiw, I'm a modular noob, just picked up a Makenoise powered skiff, mostly to process hardware synths. So I just got a blue lantern diode ladder synthacon filter (didn't know about their sketchy practices at the time), a happy nerding FM unit, and an STG wavefolder.

Put my minimoog through the Blue Lanter Synthacon Filter, wasn't thrilled, but when I put my Prophet 600 through it, WOW, it all of a almost become a paraphonic Xpander (and I've got an Xpander, which I'm now thinking of selling!). (and happy nerding, while not a filter, what a great unit! stg is cool but fussier).

So what filters or filter-like stuff like lpgs really do it for you today? What do you think is the best for each "type" (ie: MS-20 clone, SSM, 12db state variable, cascaded ota, many poles, many slope types, etc.?) Which are the grungiest and dirtiest (I'm honestly less interested in these), and which are the smoothest and sweetest?
puggle
oh, and if you can say WHY you like a particular filter, that would be great. The screechiest, the roundest, best formants, etc.
shreeswifty
my favorite one so far is hands down the XOAC Devices Belgrad. I have gone through quite a few LPGs and MMFs over the past two years and have finally kept a 3 Sisters, a XOAC Belgrad and an Epoch Modular Twin Peaks but as for 2017: Belgrab.

One: it has a big knob and an old fashioned looking selector knob which i love..i actually enjoy the entire XOAC devices aesthetic ad would dig an entire 6U of their stuff. IF i ever get my hand on a Sewatapol that is...
starthief
I seem to recall several "favorite filter" threads just from this year.

But anyway, I love my Three Sisters for conventional duties, as a great source of three sines for FM, for pinging, and for weird self-patched mayhem. It's flexible and it sounds lovely.

I also love the Synchrodyne & Expand, which isn't a "filter" so much as a laboratory of sonic weirdness based on an unusual filter design. Two VCOs, two PLLs, a multimode switched-capacitor filter, a lowpass switched-capacitor filter, a VCA, two wavefolders, and a compressor. You can make it behave relatively normally (whether for filtering, oscillating, wavefolding etc) or go completely nuts. It'll alias, it'll modulate itself in surprising ways, it can be a bizarre CV source for other things, it's a kick-ass drone machine, a clock mangler, and much more.

...and I also really like the filter in my Microbrute, but generally find attempting to patch it as if it were fully modular is a bit annoying. One of these days I might DIY a breakout panel for the back of the Microbrute to help with that. Or I might just get a Eurorack Steiner-Parker filter.
puggle
Not looking here for best filter MADE in 2017, but best filters AVAILABLE today, in 2017. Sorry if that was confusing.
puggle
I hear sooooo much love for Three Sisters lately. It is analog, right? Seems a little clinical sounding. How does it compare to more directly formanty stuff like the Grendel Formant, or Doepfer Triple Resonant?
puggle
Also wondering if Cwejman is still spoken about with such awed reverence as was the case in many earlier threads.
Muse FTW
I'm quite partial to the VCF-74 from Vintage Synth Lab. It's a cascading filter (HP->LP), which according to their website is "inspired by the 1970s Univox Mini-Korg synthesizer's 'Traveler' filter section".

It can go from smooth to pretty gritty. I think it's great.
chvad
Cwejman DMF-2. Solid sounding. Flexible. Overdrives well.
WMD UHC. Sound awesome. Super flexible. Unstable as hell if you need it to be.

I've got plenty of others but I always go back to these two.
puggle
Interesting. I thought Synchrodyne was a vco and vcf combo unit. Didn't realize it was anything near that strange.
coolshirtdotjpg
puggle wrote:
I hear sooooo much love for Three Sisters lately. It is analog, right? Seems a little clinical sounding. How does it compare to more directly formanty stuff like the Grendel Formant, or Doepfer Triple Resonant?

No clue how it compares to the others. It definitely isn't clinical. Surprisingly, I don't like it as much with the mangrove, I feel like it works better with another more standard osc, and can turn a standard osc into something that sounds similar to the mangrove. To me it isn't really an instant gratification filter, like my verbos A&T or my uHC, but there is a ton of depth. The Q has a lot to do with the three sisters sounding clean or not.
tthogs
The Synth tech e440 is my fav. I thought i didnt even like resonant filters anymore and when i got that thing i about died. Its drive circuit is fantastic too. Sometimes i just use it with no resonance and add drive and FM stuff. Incredible device and does more than just filtering.
Joe.
Xaoc Belgrad looks rad.

I havent used one yet so can't really endorse it, but it does look like it ticks all the right boxs, and the youtube demos of it all sound cool.

durwin
Keen to hear Belgrad, but for stability and flex, my vote is for the Rossum Evolution.
GryphonP3
Manhattan Analog SVVCF. Have many many filters including Cwejmans and I always end up recording with this. Three Sisters gets honourable mention for doing things other filters dont, and quite nicely at that.

That Belgrad looks amazing though.. yet to try one.
puggle
tthogs wrote:
The Synth tech e440 is my fav. I thought i didnt even like resonant filters anymore and when i got that thing i about died. Its drive circuit is fantastic too. Sometimes i just use it with no resonance and add drive and FM stuff. Incredible device and does more than just filtering.

I've heard a lot of raves about this one. Any reason why go for this SSM clone than any of other others, like doepfer or tiptop?
starthief
puggle wrote:

Yep, it's definitely analog. It's on the smooth side, though not as much as Ripples or Sara perhaps, and the All output has some extra drive to it.

I usually keep mine in crossover mode unless I've got it self-oscillating (or close to it). I got some vocal-like sounds out of it when I was messing around with it but it's not something I've really focused on much.

puggle wrote:
Interesting. I thought Synchrodyne was a vco and vcf combo unit. Didn't realize it was anything near that strange.

Ignoring the expander for the moment: it's an analog filter design that, instead of variable resistance setting the cutoff frequency, it requires a clock that runs at 100x the cutoff frequency, switching capacitors in and out of the circuit. A couple of other modules (Bi-N-Tic, Bionic Lester) solve this by including specialized oscillators that run at those rates.

Instead, Synchrodyne has a wide-range VCO that can run anywhere from LFO rates to a couple octaves above audio, and an analog PLL to raise the frequency. The pulse output from the VCO is normalled to the PLL, and the saw output is normalled to the filter audio input so it's effectively a keyboard tracking filter smile It also has a VCA and a couple of wavefolder stages, so it's a complete voice minus an envelope. But you can also provide a different clock and/or a different audio input to the filter. The PLL's tracking errors and the nature of the filter design give it a lot of character.

The expander adds more patch points and controls to that, plus another VCO, a less stable PLL with many more patch points, PLL selection/mixing for the main filter, a second and simpler filter (which self-oscillates easily or can be used to roll off aliasing from the main one, or other things), and a compressor. It really opens up the experimental possibilities, but also allows a bit more control over using the Synchrodyne conventionally.
puggle
Quote:
Ignoring the expander for the moment: it's an analog filter design that, instead of variable resistance setting the cutoff frequency, it requires a clock that runs at 100x the cutoff frequency, switching capacitors in and out of the circuit. A couple of other modules (Bi-N-Tic, Bionic Lester) solve this by including specialized oscillators that run at those rates.

Instead, Synchrodyne has a wide-range VCO that can run anywhere from LFO rates to a couple octaves above audio, and an analog PLL to raise the frequency. The pulse output from the VCO is normalled to the PLL, and the saw output is normalled to the filter audio input so it's effectively a keyboard tracking filter smile It also has a VCA and a couple of wavefolder stages, so it's a complete voice minus an envelope. But you can also provide a different clock and/or a different audio input to the filter. The PLL's tracking errors and the nature of the filter design give it a lot of character.

The expander adds more patch points and controls to that, plus another VCO, a less stable PLL with many more patch points, PLL selection/mixing for the main filter, a second and simpler filter (which self-oscillates easily or can be used to roll off aliasing from the main one, or other things), and a compressor. It really opens up the experimental possibilities, but also allows a bit more control over using the Synchrodyne conventionally.

Wow. Well now that I'm listening, the demos are def cool. But it's expensive, and with expander, damn, that's pricey. If it's two PLLs, those are cheap (doepfer), aren't there less costly ways to get there?
InnnerSight
For me the Verbos Bark is the filter of the moment. So many ways to use it, sweep it, ping it, play it, vocode it, high pass, low pass, band pass, mix sounds, sequence with it.

Its the potato of filters.
Daisuk
I've probably said the same in the 27+ other threads about the best filters, but what the hey, it's still Whimsical Rap's Three Sisters for me! Mr. Green
High Wolf
I have lots including three sisters but my favorite would be R*S Serge VQVCF and Moog Mother 32...and Sherman Filterbank but it's not Euro.

Also have lots of love for "overlooked" cheap Doepfer filter (Wasp and SEM clones). They are really good I think. Maybe if they were more expensive people would like them more smile
jjh
For more conventional filters, I have at the moment in my case 3 Sisters and Intellijel Polaris. I like both since they provide reasonably wide sound palette to my taste in relatively compact hp (10 each).

I also have Synchrodyne + Expander discussed above but I really don't count them as filters despite they contain that functionality too, but a complete experiment unit.
geremyf
I was ready to purchase the Belgrad but some posts on the thread about the mode switch sorta threw me off.

Instead I got the Cwejman MMF-6 which was in stock (and with Memorial Day discounts!) and it has really spoiled me. I have a few other filters (Atlantis, Tidal Wave and Streams) but there is just something so right about Cwejman. It always sounds good, no matter how you twist the knobs. Like really good. I didn't appreciate it until I spent a couple of days with it, but it is almost impossible to make it sound bad. The module functions are super well thought out, there are attenuators on all inputs, 2 audio inputs and 2 1V/oct CV inputs. Both audio inputs offer a lot of drive. 2 saturation modes sound really really good, and I don't normally like hard clipping at all! The symmetry control is its own thing, and I haven't used it much when filtering but when using it in oscillator mode really allows some interesting waveshaping, especially at audio rates.

Overall I can say the initial impressions were as expected with superb build quality and great sound but only after a few days of actual usage did I actually understand the purpose of spending soo much on a simple filter module. The only disappointment now is that I only have one. I will absolutely be buying more in the future.
Bachelard
+1 for Belgrad. It's an incredible soundshaper.

The Sea Devils sounds great to me as well.

The System80 Jove (Jupiter-6 emulation) is also fat as hell.
BlueWolfSe7en
Bang for buck it's still the Humpback, filthy little thing n cheap as chips!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 1 of 11