MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Q148
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Q148
Ockeghem
srsly never

Hmm, this may be useful...thoughts?
ranix
I'll appreciate having an easy headphone out module I can put wherever I want. It's hard to resist shaking my fist at the offset knob that turns into an attenuator control though
Ockeghem
You can use one row of your sequencer for notes and another for stereo panning of those notes...use envelopes to control panning...stuff that wasn't so easy before without external mixer channels.
ranix
I was just checking out the datasheet and I really like the WARNING printed next to the headphone jack, a good reminder to take hearing safety seriously

Synth Con Meo
This looks pretty interesting. I really like the VC controlled panning which is the biggest draw for me. Then the tuning comes in as a pretty nice feature. I've jumped on the latest modules Roger has released so chances are I'll probably be springing for at least one of these. thumbs up
bwhittington
Interesting. It seems to be a final output module, but for me that has always been a mixer. I guess I'd be thrilled with a VC mixer with panning per channel, a tuner, and headphone out, but I don't quite get why I'd want a single VCA with all of those features. It might be neat in a tiny modular with just one voice, but I'm not quite getting how I would really use it in a larger system.

On the other hand, if a chainable companion module was released with just the panning VCA so that users could construct their own VC output mixer, that would be the bee's knees . . . and would encourage the purchase of multiple modules. Doesn't seem like the plan, but that's something I've always thought would be cool.
Huba-Swift
I find it a bit odd that while it is called the VCA++, it's actual functionality as a VCA has been stripped away in order to add other utilities. The panning seems pretty nice though, and I'm glad they added that. Right now I'm using two VCAs, and a 180 degree phase shifted lfo to get stereo panning and tremolos, but this seems like a much easier solution. Personally I would have liked it if they focused on the VCA and panning alone, but maybe this is what others want hmmm.....
XXXEsq
If you want just a VC panner, look at the Q111. This module combines a minimised VCA, VC panner and a HP amp in a single space. Nice!
Zodanga
Quote:
On the other hand, if a chainable companion module was released with just the panning VCA so that users could construct their own VC output mixer, that would be the bee's knees . . . and would encourage the purchase of multiple modules. Doesn't seem like the plan, but that's something I've always thought would be cool.

This was the first thing that occurred to me when I started watching the video. Something like this, where the VCAs could act independently but also be added together.

gregae
XXXEsq wrote:
If you want just a VC panner, look at the Q111.

Indeed, but the outputs are out of phase with each other (one is reversed). This is easily solved, but requires another module to flip the phase. Hopefully the phase issue was designed out of the Q148A.

XXXEsq wrote:
This module combines a minimised VCA, VC panner and a HP amp in a single space. Nice!

An HP amp? I hadn't noticed. hmmm.....
Flareless
Zodanga wrote:
Quote:

This was the first thing that occurred to me when I started watching the video. Something like this, where the VCAs could act independently but also be added together....

Looks like you just described this module

Zodanga
Yeah, I really like that. It's only available as DIY, I think.
Bowman
Zodanga wrote:
Yeah, I really like that. It's only available as DIY, I think.

But if you ask Flareless nicely, he will build you one. He is currently building me a stripped down version with the 4 input CV controlled panner and stereo outputs. Of course, that idea of LEDs instead of the Yusynth's meters has given me some thought.
Dave Peck
gregae wrote:
XXXEsq wrote:

Indeed, but the outputs are out of phase with each other (one is reversed). This is easily solved, but requires another module to flip the phase. Hopefully the phase issue was designed out of the Q148A.

You can permanently fix the polarity error on the Dotcom Q111 output by cutting two PCB traces on the bottom side of the board and adding two small jumper wires, which swaps the routing of these two traces. Like so:

The red " = " marks indicate where you cut the two traces. The curved red lines are the two added jumper wires. Best if you use tiny jumper wires, like 28AWG, adn even better if these are monofilament rather than many stranded conductors.

I have four of these modules in my system and did this fix to all of them. Works great!

CAVEAT: I know this fix can be applied to the REV A Q111 board but I don't know about how this fix would be done to any subsequent revs - or if newer revs would even need it (Roger may have fixed this in current production versions, I don't know). But you can easily test your Q111 to see if it has this problem - put it in PAN mode and send the two outputs to a mixer module. If the signal cancels when you set the two mixer input levels the same, your module is inverting the polarity of one output.
bwhittington
Yes, thank you! Great mock up! Simerhing like this is what I imagine whenever there are threads about outputs modules.

Zodanga wrote:
Quote:

This was the first thing that occurred to me when I started watching the video. Something like this, where the VCAs could act independently but also be added together.

robotmakers
Gert at Moon has been promising the M543 CP for some time now. Check it out on page 17 of the 2017 catalog over at the Moon site. Many of these features. If you look at the picture of my synth on page 18 of that catalog you can see the blank CP panel at the lower right still waiting for one of these 543 CP modules!

Cheers,
Roger
Eric the Red
[quote=]
Looks like you just described this module

[/quote]

Visually, this is such a good looking Module - and it looks like something that will be a great fit in my monster DIY system.

Synthcube has the VC Panner, but not the Output and Monitor Module with the VU meters. Any idea where to find one of those? Etching my own boards is a skill set that I do not have...
JohnLRice
Eric the Red wrote:
Synthcube has the VC Panner, but not the Output and Monitor Module with the VU meters. Any idea where to find one of those?
They often have stuff not listed on their site so if you haven't yet, try writing to Synthcube and ask if they have it? thumbs up
bandwidth
@ Eric The Red: Soundtronics in the UK has a pcb, electronics kit (including vu meters), jacks and knobs. Resynthesis makes a panel for this module and has vu's and knobs.
Eric the Red
Thanks guys!
Mirolab
[quote="Dave Peck"]
gregae wrote:
XXXEsq wrote:

You can permanently fix the polarity error on the Dotcom Q111 output by cutting two PCB traces on the bottom side of the board and adding two small jumper wires, which swaps the routing of these two traces. Like so:

Slight off topic... but thanks for this mod tip!! I have the Q111 panner, and I hardly use it simply because the out of phase nature of it never made sense to me.... This is great.... adding it to my hot mod list.
Dave Peck
Mirolab wrote:

Slight off topic... but thanks for this mod tip!! I have the Q111 panner, and I hardly use it simply because the out of phase nature of it never made sense to me.... This is great.... adding it to my hot mod list.

Apparently, this issue of one panner output being inverted was an unintended side effect caused by the fact that the same PCB is used for other Dotcom modules (mixer & ring modulator). The trace routing works correctly in those other applications, just not when the PCB is used in the panner module.
kindredlost
Yes a big THANKS! from me too Dave. I built an inverter circuit board and piggybacked it on the Q111 years ago. I have little to no skill at finding workarounds like you did here. This makes me want to pick up a few more Q111's now.
coyoteous
Interesting new module, but having all that fixed in series makes it do more with less flexibility, which is "less" in most cases (har) for me... kind of an OK voice output module, I guess.

Similarly, "tuner" is overstating a pitch reference... but, overall probably a good module to have for a mini or micro MU "boxX" system, or maybe one for any system as a utility.

For really small and portable systems, I'd still go with a smaller format over these high-density MU modules... good that Roger is keeping a flow of them coming out, though.

Added: actually could be interesting to take, say, the right out back into the first VCA for voltage-controlled minimoog distortion trick possibilities (or one side of the HP out?).

Dave Peck
kindredlost wrote:
Yes a big THANKS! from me too Dave. I built an inverter circuit board and piggybacked it on the Q111 years ago. I have little to no skill at finding workarounds like you did here. This makes me want to pick up a few more Q111's now.

Your'e welcome! And as a follow up, there is a second option for how to do this modification:

The mod is essentially swapping pins 2 & 3 at the 8-pin CA3080 IC located closest to the six pin power header at the bottom edge of the PCB. So if you prefer, you can remove that IC from it's socket, carefully bend those two IC legs outward, and solder two small jumper wires to them to 'extend' these legs and them plug the IC back into the socket, and plug the jumper wires into socket pins 2 & 3, with the ends of those small jumper wires crossing to swap the pins as they go into the socket. If you do the mod this way, you MUST use solid-core jumper wire instead of stranded wire, so the socket wipers make proper contact with the jumper wires.

Personally, I found the trace cutting method much easier. The IC legs can be somewhat fragile and plugging the jumper wires into the IC socket can be finicky.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2