MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert Sleepers ES-8
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Expert Sleepers ES-8
apcuddling
Super interested in one of these.

Anybody used one? Thoughts?
ccastellanossf
You may want to check the Expert Sleepers forum. That said, I have one and I am very happy with it.
Muse FTW
I don't use the ES-8 but I do use the combo of ES-3/6 instead (lightpipe through the audio interface instead of through USB) so it's a little different, but it serves its purpose well.

I haven't tried the software (Silent Way) but I mostly use the output for sending audio loops through to the Eurorack via Ableton. I use the input for recording my whole system in different in ports, allowing me to get the levels just right when mastering tracks afterwards and stay in the moment when creating.
cryptogreen
I bought two and think they have really improved the quality of my sleeping. Dead Banana Seriously though, I find being able to design modulation on the computer for given patch has really changed my module make-up and being able to record directly to the DAW is obviously really nice. The only case I have heard against it is that you need to buy software to generate cv in order to get the most out of it.
Xtheunknown
Love my ES-8! I use it with Reaktor Blocks, mostly for outbound control voltages, sequences and digital oscillator out to the modular. Planning for an ES-3 expansion soon as well.
Jtalton
i was wondering, i have a apollo 16 which handles all my audio I/O needs but i would love to add this to handle my reaktor / maxmsp CV i/o in live. Would i be able to set up both the apollo and the ES-8 at the same time in my daw (live / reaper).

Are any of you using a audio interface and ES-8 in one DAW at the sametime?
mattb
I have got one.
Using it as soundcard (USB) with an IPad Pro and an iMac.
I use it also as an optical ADAT interface to extend the number of I/O on a Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt.

Works great both ways.
dumbledog
Absolutely indispensable.
Unifono0815
I have one too. Works flawlessly.
Use it with Reaktor Blocks for seqencing and modulation and to get the rack sound back in the computer, using effects.
Xtheunknown
Jtalton wrote:
i was wondering, i have a apollo 16 which handles all my audio I/O needs but i would love to add this to handle my reaktor / maxmsp CV i/o in live. Would i be able to set up both the apollo and the ES-8 at the same time in my daw (live / reaper).

Yes - I'm using my ES-8 with an M-Audio interface as a Mac aggregate device in Cubase. No issues.
Unifono0815
Xtheunknown wrote:
Jtalton wrote:

Yes - I'm using my ES-8 with an M-Audio interface as a Mac aggregate device in Cubase. No issues.

Me too. ES-8 and NI Komplete Audio in Ableton (or Reaktor) as mac aggregate device.
apcuddling
I guess I was mostly concerned with how well it worked. If it was easy as it seems it would be.

Alright, guess I gotta get one now.

Thanks everybody!
Funky40
Unifono0815 wrote:

Me too. ES-8 and NI Komplete Audio in Ableton (or Reaktor) as mac aggregate device.

is it as simple to create a agrregate device as described here ?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000
.../utilities/audio-midi/...create
or can it be stressy ?

still waiting for the new batch to come in to get mine wink
( i have also a NI komplete kore6 )
tommygee
Funky40 wrote:
Unifono0815 wrote:

or can it be stressy ?

It's super easy to set up the aggregate device razz mine has worked perfectly. Using mine for audio/CV back and fourth between my modular and daw.
stjohn909
ES3/Silent Way user here. It's a little weird at first, thinking of voltage while looking at a DAW screen, but it really is a super-useful tool. I went with the lightpipe version because the price was right and I didn't have to worry about making 2 audio interfaces work together in ASIO on Windows.

Mostly what I love about it is the way it bridges the gap between DAW and modular so seamlessly. Sync/clocks are the immediate, obvious benefit.

There is some fiddling (but not much) to tune and calibrate your VCO, but once that's done, you can sequence notes with impunity. But I think where it's helped me most is I can use it to paper over the fact that I'm missing some basic, necessary modules for modulation, triggers, and gates, and the way I use the Silent Way plugins is helping me to determine which modules I need to concentrate on purchasing next. It also helps me get more of of my Maths than I would be able to with the tiny collection of modules I currently own.
dumbledog
Funky40 wrote:

or can it be stressy ?

Yep. I have it set up as an aggregate with my MOTU, and the ports I don't use (ADAT etc) are hidden. The modular is usually turned off. When I want to make music I just turn on the modular, start up Logic and Everything Just Works. I have a template in Logic with the inputs assigned to channel strips (1, 2 and 3-4 as a stereo pair).

About the only sticky point is latency, which while not terrible is enough so that you can't do ridiculous stuff like modular oscillator --> ES-8 --> software filter --> ES8 --> Modular VCA without running into timing issues, but oh well.
Funky40
Thanks for the feedback dumbledog and tommygee !
Moon Indigo
Have one, it's working great, using it to send CV from blocks to hardware (sequencing, modulation), and to send audio to hardware (e.g. additional osc on Mother 32.

It's working GREAT with my Mother 32, System 1m, and 0 Coast.

I am running is as an aggregate device in El Capitain together with Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. No issues.

I have sequenced using CV pitch / gate from both Numerology (has to calibrate first using Silent Way) and from Reaktor (calibrated using the Pitch/CV Block).

Sequencing is flawless (except if I sequence all my 3 semi modular it eats up 6 of the 8 outs of the ES-8, so have tended to use some midi).

Happy customer. Happy to answer any questions.
dr33m3r
Hi,

I have had an ES-8 for a couple of days and have to say that using it to integrate my hardware rack and my VCV Rack software modular is truly amazing. It just works, as they say. CV in and out gives me a truly hybrid system with real and virtual modules working together beautifully.

I have noticed one thing that is potentially problematic, though, in the area of audio quality. It seems that audio out of a VCV Rack patch via ES-8 is noticeably lacking high end when compared to the same output patched directly into my Universal Audio interface, with both going to the exact same studio monitors.

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I just noticing that my Universal Audio DAC is really good?

Don’t get me wrong, I am not getting rid of my ES-8. It is worth the price of admission even if only used for CV. I’m just curious if anyone else has any thoughts on the ES audio quality.

Thanks!
J_Behan
How many channels of audio can I record from my modular to my DAW simultaneously with the ES-8? I had presumed 8, but is it only 4?

Maybe I'm a bit dense, but I'm struggling to understand the in/out signal flow. The website manual says it has '12 in, 16 out' but I'm not sure if they mean 'in' from the DAW or the modular.
Say I've got 6 mono oscillators and a stereo sampler in my modular and I want to record them simultaneously to my DAW, which sockets do I plug into on the ES-8? I get that I can then send 8 channels via the ADAT, but I only see 4 sockets (the four on the left) that I can plug modules into. seriously, i just don't get it
mdoudoroff
J_Behan: confusion is far too common on this stuff. I’m only just getting my feet wet.

With an ES-8 on its own, you can record 4 simultaneous audio channels. Supposedly, if you connect an ES-6 (ribbon cable + optical cable) then you’re up to 10 total. It may be possible to connect an ES-7 to the ES-6 and reach 12. I haven’t tried the expanders yet.

I can confirm that the ES-8 itself “just works” with OS X, and that the Core Audio Aggregate Device system is stupid-easy to set up and use (I currently have my ES-8 aggregated with an iConnectAudio4, for a total of eight simultaneous inputs and a slew of outs).
Ears
J_Behan wrote:
How many channels of audio can I record from my modular to my DAW simultaneously with the ES-8? I had presumed 8, but is it only 4?

Maybe I'm a bit dense, but I'm struggling to understand the in/out signal flow. The website manual says it has '12 in, 16 out' but I'm not sure if they mean 'in' from the DAW or the modular.
Say I've got 6 mono oscillators and a stereo sampler in my modular and I want to record them simultaneously to my DAW, which sockets do I plug into on the ES-8? I get that I can then send 8 channels via the ADAT, but I only see 4 sockets (the four on the left) that I can plug modules into. seriously, i just don't get it

There is an ADAT in and out and it's included in the channel count. I use it to extend the UMC1820 USB audio interface rack on my PC (it has ADAT in/out which I patch to the es8) rather than use the USB input on the ES8. The ES-8 shines for non audio signals i.e. Control voltages. Programs like Audulus, Reaktor, Silent Way and VCV can allow you to drastically extend your eurorack if you have a ES8 to pass control voltages in and out.

If you need more than 4 ins and you're just recording audio (not CV) you can go to the ins on your ordinary USB audio interface as long as you attenuate the signal - else your signal will probably be distorted. Some audio interfaces have controls to attenuate but if yours doesn't run it thru a vca or mixer first. You'll also need cables that take you from 1/8 to 1/4" plugs.
J_Behan
Thanks folks, that's most helpful. I'm looking to be able to record ideally 10-16 tracks at time. At the moment I can manage 4, just going through a small mixer into a Focusrite Pro 24 which just has 4 inputs.

I'm looking at the Cymatic Audio UTrack24 recorder/interface which can record up to 24 tracks via DSub inputs. Maybe buy a couple of those nw2s::io modules to go with it.
The ES-8/ES-6 or ES-8/UMC1820 look like solid options too.

I'm not sure I need to send/receive CV from my PC and I was trying to avoid going down that rabbit hole, though I'm sure it offers huge potential. I took a few years off music as I was weary of working ITB for years, it's why I got into modular. I find the reduction in decision making very liberating.
I mean I'm tempted, but I'd worry for my sanity. Being able to automate my modular from the PC while integrating it with VCV rack, sounds like a recipe for madness. Mr. Green
I guess I have some thinking to do.
Ears
J_Behan wrote:
I took a few years off music as I was weary of working ITB for years, it's why I got into modular. I find the reduction in decision making very liberating.
I mean I'm tempted, but I'd worry for my sanity. Being able to automate my modular from the PC while integrating it with VCV rack, sounds like a recipe for madness. Mr. Green
I guess I have some thinking to do.

I'm on a similar path though I'm solidly hybrid. Part of my simplification meant making more mix decisions in tracking like in the old days where infinite tracks weren't a thing. Might not be for you (no idea what your project is) but I've found it valuable to commit instead of leaving every decision to mixdown when they really start to pile up.
Ears
J_Behan wrote:

There is an ADAT in and out and it's included in the channel count. I use it to extend the UMC1820 USB audio interface rack on my PC (it has ADAT in/out which I patch to the es8) rather than use the USB input on the ES8. The ES-8 shines for non audio signals i.e. Control voltages. Programs like Audulus, Reaktor, Silent Way and VCV can allow you to drastically extend your eurorack if you have a ES8 to pass control voltages in and out.

If you need more than 4 ins and you're just recording audio (not CV) you can go to the ins on your ordinary USB audio interface as long as you attenuate the signal - else your signal will probably be distorted. Some audio interfaces have controls to attenuate but if yours doesn't run it thru a vca or mixer first. You'll also need cables that take you from 1/8 to 1/4" plugs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2