MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SSL "FX Capacitor" - Finally going to happen
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author SSL "FX Capacitor" - Finally going to happen
dslocum
-- EDIT 6/25/2017:
Now that SEARCH is working again, here's a link to the original thread.
SSL Multi Effects
-- end EDIT ---

Since search is down, I haven't been able to find the original thread about the FX Capacitor, so at risk of being beheaded I'll start a new one.

The FX Capacitor 2 MU width effects unit is starting to get into production. Panels are ordered and should be here mid July. After checking that all the holes line up with the prototype PCBs, those will go to production and we can then schedule our assembly house.

The unit is based on the Spin Semi FV1 chip which has 7 nice, but not terribly exciting effects. I'm adding an additional 8 effects and I'm still working out the final roster. Should be some crazy shit though.

If anyone has a suggestion for an effect, I'd be more than happy to consider it, but I would need the FV1 source code and the license to use it if it's not already public domain.

Price $399

tehfizzle
What are the seven built in effects?
dslocum
tehfizzle wrote:
What are the seven built in effects?

coyoteous
dslocum: Get some Sean Costello / valhalladsp in there for even more winning! (seem to recall his spin expertise... I know him more on the plug-in side).

Looks great, congratulations!
dslocum
The additional programs will definitely include Shimmer, a crazy WIDE pitch changer, and a cool deep CV controllable flanger.
ualslosar
Very good. I'll buy one for sure. Thanks for offering this, Doug.

Regards
Larry
Jturbide
Cool smile Maybe some kind of distortion/fuzz would be nice or something like the zvex lo-fi junky This is fun!
dslocum
What do you guys think about some sort of compressor / limiter with a side chain I/O?
DJFonzi
That's pretty neat. I'll be saving pennies for one. It's going to be a while before I'm setup again. Is this a limited run?
coyoteous
dslocum wrote:
What do you guys think about some sort of compressor / limiter with a side chain I/O?

That it probably wouldn't be very good because of the chip limitations, but that not very good might be great! (as an effect)
tehfizzle
Based on what I've heard so far, I will be purchasing at least one, probably two. This looks awesome. Thanks Doug.
DJFonzi
OK, I've spent some time watching FV1 videos on youtube. This IS pretty neat.
josaka
granular/formant/randomiser stuff would make it a killer app for me
ualslosar
Doug,

There was talk of a possible updated Samplecorder module from SSL a while back.

- Is this still in the works, please?

Thanks
Larry
PrimateSynthesis
dslocum wrote:

It doesn't have enough controls to replace a typical studio compressor.

It also looks like it doesn't have input levels.

Anyway, if the software allows, perhaps add effects that aren't widely available such as spectral inversion, non-linear delay, etc.
cornutt
PrimateSynthesis wrote:

It also looks like it doesn't have input levels.

What does everyone think of the idea of replacing the mix controls with input level controls, and having the output be 100% wet? You'd have to use a mixer to mix it with dry signal, but basic mixers are pretty cheap. And doing it this way, you could run the outputs through VCAs to make the effects level voltage controllable.
biosynth
pbear :(
dslocum
Here's a link to the original thread:

SSL Multi Effects

Guinness ftw!
dslocum
Here's an update guys!

Panels are in and looking great. PCBs and other parts are ordered and my assembly house is primed and ready to start working. Should only be about 6 weeks until I'm ready to ship.

JohnLRice
Nice work, Doug! thumbs up
cornutt
I am definitely on for one of these as soon as it's available.
tobias
Count me in as well
DrReverendSeance
What is the status on this project? I am looking for something like this - but in MOTM format if possible?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1