MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

If you could build a custom module, what would it be?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author If you could build a custom module, what would it be?
patchnerd
Out of curiosity, if you could build any sort of module you desire (Eurorack or otherwise) with custom capabilities, faceplate, I/Os, controls, etc... what would you build and why? What is missing in the modular world?
bryanvick
I would build a waveform generator that generates waves similar to how a Turing Machine generates melodies. The module would generate waveforms in a semi-random manner, with inputs controlling the algorithm, and then you'd be able to "lock" a waveform if you like what you hear. You could also allow some random variation of the waveform over time like some Turing Machine modules allow random changes to the melodies over time.
Just me
I would make a through zero oscillator with a pair of DCO's and a pair of DCA's built in. Then it might be controllable over more than 6 semitones.
Reckless_Experimenter
A module with the Yamaha YMF262 FM Synth chip. With the ability to control all the parameters simultaneously through CV and MIDI.
Jefro
^^ OMG that would be nice!
in_sherman
a device that would punch me in the dick every time i read a muff's thread about a new module
Richjk7
A chord generator!

Incoming audio is split, then sent to pitch shifters then to an output.

Cv control over chord type and inversion.

I'm sure the audio would be somewhat degraded from the pitch shifters but that would be part of the charm.
tony d
in_sherman wrote:
a device that would punch me in the dick every time i read a muff's thread about a new module

I'd buy it!
KSS
Reckless_Experimenter wrote:
A module with the Yamaha YMF262 FM Synth chip. With the ability to control all the parameters simultaneously through CV and MIDI.
Jefro wrote:
^^ OMG that would be nice!

This might be a good start. http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_fm.html
Futuresound
I have ideas for a voltage-controlled trigger delay / gate-length modifier thingy that I think are pretty novel.
bwhittington
in_sherman wrote:

This gave me a nice laugh. Thanks for that. thumbs up
patchnerd
in_sherman wrote:

It shall be called the 'monophonic erectile attenuator'
bryanvick
Richjk7 wrote:
A chord generator!

Incoming audio is split, then sent to pitch shifters then to an output.

Cv control over chord type and inversion.

I'm sure the audio would be somewhat degraded from the pitch shifters but that would be part of the charm.

Check out the Qu-Bit Chord, sounds close to what you describe: http://www.qubitelectronix.com/modules/chord
ranix

It's doable but it's kind of a pain in the butt to program a 4 op fm synth via midi, especially when it's in a modular synthesizer. The last thing you want to do with a modular is sit there programming stuff.

To date nobody has designed a good interface for programming an FM synthesizer. I gave it a shot myself and gave up
PrimateSynthesis
patchnerd wrote:
What is missing in the modular world?

A pitch to CV converter? It seems like a basic function that few manufacturers have ever made. Then again, I don't follow the over 9,000 companies making Eurorack...

Although the best way now to do it would be digital, so that's not something I would DIY.
porphyrion
_ Erbe-Verb with upper Eventide-class-delay (no glitches if you don't want them).
_ or a Pitch-Factor in eurorack.
_ non-bitcrunch, non-distortion lofi modules (ala instant lofi junkie, but in different flavors)
moremagic
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
patchnerd wrote:
What is missing in the modular world?

A pitch to CV converter?
you can do this with a PLL, used to use my wogglebug for this
witchbutter
in_sherman wrote:
My bank account could really use this type of module.

Practically speaking, it seems there are a truckload of gate and trigger sequencers out there but basically none for pitch (ie 1v/octave) that aren't 12HP or more. I'm a huge fan of Erica Pico if not just for simplicity. I wish there was a Pico SEQ that was 8 pitches you could web program like the Trigger, and then 8 tiny switches on the front for note mutes.

It would also be nice if a 3-4HP DSP that accepted programmable fx cards existed as well that included a LP filter on it's output.
witchbutter

ALM Akemie's Castle?
"Akemie’s Castle uses a vintage ‘new old stock’ Yamaha YMF262 (aka OPL3) chip as a sound source and exposes all operator parameters to both voltage and direct control."

You can CV everything on it, and pair that with MIDI to CV like the FM-1 and you should be good to go.
Clement
I'dl love to see more stereo filters

I'm talking filters of various types that, while maintaining the flexibility of some individual control, are mainly intended to be used as a stereo pair with linked cutoff controls and mod inputs. In similar fashion to the happy needing MMM filter.

Also I would kill for qubit to release the original version of the chord oscillator that had all the individual controls for each oscillator. Instant korg monopoly setup.
wsy

An FM Ogre is pretty close to one slice of that. Intentionally.

- Bill
wsy
Something like the monome teletype but more set up for realtime composition rather than as a trigger / CV processor.

- Bill
Dave Peck
ranix wrote:

To date nobody has designed a good interface for programming an FM synthesizer. I gave it a shot myself and gave up

Behold the Nord Modular G2's DX Router and FM op modules. I know, it's not a hardware modular, so sorry for the OT, but it IS a really good FM patch programming interface.

witchbutter
Clement wrote:
Also I would kill for qubit to release the original version of the chord oscillator that had all the individual controls for each oscillator

Oh? Link? Chord seems really lacking in controls, I also wish it would have a separate 1v/octave CV out in addition to the audio out for the root third and fifth note. And why is that thing so big?
Homepage Englisch
1) 4 channel cv offset mixer, with quantized knobs (selectors) where increase in voltage per step is entirely programmable, with values of anything between 0.001V and 2V. That way you could make octave switch, semitone switch, or anything else. With an mix out you could even make musical scales by simply turning the knobs.

2) Yamaha VL1.

3) More advanced multimode filters, like frequency knob moving like "clasping movement" of a caterpillar, basically variable with bandpass traveling through the freq range.

4) EHX pog/hog.

5)...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3