MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Qu-bit Pulsar could be fun
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Qu-bit Pulsar could be fun
digidandy
Video a bit short and hectic, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMHpuDlLeZw

Coming very soon, it seems:

https://www.pyramidsounds.com/products/pulsar
REVIVER
Uh....hope there's gonna be a silver panel version? hmmm.....
mdoudoroff
This could be really useful, although it’s a bit hard to tell, yet, what it actually does and does not.

Aside: these sorts of teaser videos annoy me because they’re a lot of work to put together and they seem pretty dubious as an effective marketing tool in a market this small. That effort would be better put toward customer education (video or otherwise).
digidandy
Agree completely. Still amazed that eurorack manufacturers don't put more effort into videos that educate/demonstrate, for some of us that is all we have access to before buying (or not buying).

Qu-bit Chance, for instance ... still not one decent video out there.
strawberry
For Chance I found this really helpful

http://youtu.be/HriutQv9pGg?list=PLDi8jQz3Hx_HuU-v7Gg_KCKo327MNy088
Muse FTW
Interesting they're going with a black panel.
dash80
“Pulsar is a burst generator inspired by stars that output beams of electromagnetic radiation in space.”

ben_hex
My take on what we've seen so far - http://divkidmodular.com/what-is-it-qu-bit-electronix-pulsar/

and a new videos series which will be short news items WHAT IS IT!?! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Z2g2Xdz70

dinosaurs
ben_hex wrote:
My take on what we've seen so far - http://divkidmodular.com/what-is-it-qu-bit-electronix-pulsar/

and a new videos series which will be short news items WHAT IS IT!?! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Z2g2Xdz70

I dont understand the point of this video other than to get clicks. this adds no new information.
mdoudoroff
Yeah, ben_hex, I don’t think that kind of thing is worth your while. Now, if you want to ring up Qu-bit and get an actual scoop, that’s a little different.
RGB
mdoudoroff wrote:
This could be really useful, although it’s a bit hard to tell, yet, what it actually does and does not.

Aside: these sorts of teaser videos annoy me because they’re a lot of work to put together and they seem pretty dubious as an effective marketing tool in a market this small. That effort would be better put toward customer education (video or otherwise).

Well said. Chugging Beers

I am interested though!
ignatius
looks rad. good fun. useful weirdness and musical integration. i really love their new designs and ergonomics.
ben_hex
dinosaurs & mdoudoroff appreciate the feedback.

Clicks buy me nothing so that wasn't the intention.

The idea has been in my head for a while to have a sort of quick video news item type thing. I've thought about building up my site etc but everyone is engaging and the audience is on my YouTube channel. Note a lot of that audience isn't on Muffs (from what a good few tell me). So I thought when there's something to share make a quick 1 or 2 minute video to highlight a new product etc and give a little bit of my take on it and the information that's known at the time. I've got my monthly magazine for a big round up but I thought sharing videos might be good too. It's not much effort, so if it doesn't work for people it's not a lot of time wasted.

I'll see how it goes. I appreciate posting it here where information is already posted doesn't make much sense.
AMillionMonkeys
REVIVER wrote:
Uh....hope there's gonna be a silver panel version? hmmm.....

This decision is a perplexing to me as well since all their other modules have a simple, consistent design. Although I'm the kind of guy who wishes every module had a silver panel option for consistency purposes.
BillyB909
A bit off topic but fair play to Ben Hex for the video. Strikes me he's put a considerable amount of time and effort supporting the community and is more than entitled to try and work out ways to monetise this. I've learnt a load from what he's done.
damase
Qbit kills it here... very interested.

Those short videos are called vignettes... Very useful for marketing in the social media world. Kudos to them for a wonderful presentation, and i find the video relatively informing for the short timeframe.
dash80
The black panel does look awesome...but...just cause...outer space?

For consistency's sake, it bugs the hell out of me.

That said, I'm still interested! hihi
Eurocat
Love Qu-Bit!!!
Robothottdog
Muse FTW wrote:
Interesting they're going with a black panel.

their nebulae module was black too. maybe its a play on space? cool
Zymos
Nano Rand came in both black and silver.
Kinda funny that panel color is about all there is to talk about at this point...
anosou
I can't help but also be a bit sad about the black panel. screaming goo yo

Looking forward to learning more about this, Qu-Bit's been doing some great stuff lately and the teaser tickles me in all the right ways. This is fun!
anosou
The first demo video just surfaced: https://twitter.com/qubitelectronix/status/879083465945169920

Just demos single channel bursts. Looks smart so far, and gravity is a nifty control.
hybernaut
I think I saw this from Qu-Bit yesterday, and I really loved the video. Not just a bullet list of features (tho I love those videos too) but calm and deep exploration of the concepts and some techniques.

strawberry wrote:

anosou
Qu-Bit has confirmed on Facebook that Pulsar will also be available with a normal aluminum panel. No more details yet.
REVIVER
Ah, so those are push encoders above the attenuverters.

Nice.

screaming goo yo
Paranormal Patroler
anosou wrote:
The first demo video just surfaced: https://twitter.com/qubitelectronix/status/879083465945169920

Just demos single channel bursts. Looks smart so far, and gravity is a nifty control.

Thanks for the video, I think it's easy to grasp what it does based on that. Now we need to figure out the Mode button.
ben_hex
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
anosou wrote:

Thanks for the video, I think it's easy to grasp what it does based on that. Now we need to figure out the Mode button.

Mode button is euclidean, random, binary or fractal modes mentioned at the launch right? hmmm.....
cane creek
anosou wrote:

That video reminded me of the Audio Damage Replicant software plugin.
loydb
I'm interested in the module.

Ben, I say this with love, but you just basically made a video of you reading a web page out loud... applause

In this case, I think you would have been better served talking about the history (burst generator in Nanorand), and coming up with three good examples of how a burst generator can be useful (not to demo, just to talk about).
ben_hex
loydb wrote:
Ben, I say this with love, but you just basically made a video of you reading a web page out loud... applause

In this case, I think you would have been better served talking about the history (burst generator in Nanorand), and coming up with three good examples of how a burst generator can be useful (not to demo, just to talk about).

I'm nothing if not open to criticism and feedback. It's been how everything I've every done has grown and progressed so I appreciate the honesty. The video I really don't think was for the Muff Wiggler crowd at all. Silly for me to post it here. It is me reading information I was sent with a sentence or two added on my part. The odd bit I guess is the views were fairly good and quick and the "YouTube crowd" shall I say seem to like it. Short news thing gives them something and that's it in a minute or two. Maybe casually flicking through YouTube grabs more attention than forums / web pages for some. Well it does that's fairly obvious as most content is quick and non-digested online.

You're right about some added history and patch idea or two it would make it much better for everyone as those that do pay more attention and already no about can grab a quick fact or idea maybe. That also touches on a series of videos I've been thinking about for a while and might not get round to.

Moving forward with these I'll do a couple more with a bit more history and some personal patch ideas thrown in and see how they go.

Thanks again!

and on topic for this module ... it's shaping up to look great! w00t
Hirsbro
ben_hex wrote:
loydb wrote:

I'm nothing if not open to criticism and feedback. It's been how everything I've every done has grown and progressed so I appreciate the honesty. The video I really don't think was for the Muff Wiggler crowd at all. Silly for me to post it here. It is me reading information I was sent with a sentence or two added on my part. The odd bit I guess is the views were fairly good and quick and the "YouTube crowd" shall I say seem to like it. Short news thing gives them something and that's it in a minute or two. Maybe casually flicking through YouTube grabs more attention than forums / web pages for some. Well it does that's fairly obvious as most content is quick and non-digested online.

You're right about some added history and patch idea or two it would make it much better for everyone as those that do pay more attention and already no about can grab a quick fact or idea maybe. That also touches on a series of videos I've been thinking about for a while and might not get round to.

Moving forward with these I'll do a couple more with a bit more history and some personal patch ideas thrown in and see how they go.

Thanks again!

and on topic for this module ... it's shaping up to look great! w00t

Nothing "wrong" in making a quick and informative vid like you did thats how I got the news. I dont care if it was word by word what a homepage says or what. Like I said thats how I got the news.
Chugging Beers keep up the good work
ben_hex
Cheers Hirsbro that's the idea but I do think just a little more to them as mentioned above (bit more of a personal touch or patch idea that came to mind when I saw it and maybe a bit of history) will make them even more worthwhile.
Qu-Bit Electronix
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that we have the Pulsar in silver available on our site.
www.qubitelectronix.com/modules/pulsar

Pulsar is shipping today!

-Andrew
Ras Thavas
Qu-Bit Electronix wrote:
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that we have the Pulsar in silver available on our site.

Pulsar is shipping today!

-Andrew

Will we see a manual or more full description of what Pulsar actually does soon?
mats_j
Looking forward to learning more about Pulsar. I've been close to getting Variatic Erumption in the past, but I've got a feeling this is "the one", as far as burst generators go. cool
Qu-Bit Electronix
Manual is up and demos are on their way!

Flohr
Qu-Bit Electronix

I just read the manual and have to say thumbs up

This and Chance seem like real winners. Y'all are implementing some really good design choices. I love that Pulsar saves its settings by default but then can be manually reset, also the software attenuation is a great feature. Def plan on picking up these two new gems in the near future.
windspirit
Lookin good wink

Quick question I couldnt get from just a quick read of the manual: is it possible to have all 4 outputs have different modes/ settings or are they all tied to one main burst generator but the outputs are distributed by the distribution mode?
Qu-Bit Electronix
windspirit wrote:
Lookin good wink

Quick question I couldnt get from just a quick read of the manual: is it possible to have all 4 outputs have different modes/ settings or are they all tied to one main burst generator but the outputs are distributed by the distribution mode?

All the individual outputs can have their own settings regardless of the other channels settings. However, the output dispersion modes have an effect on all channels at once.
mats_j
https://instagram.com/p/BWOenldgPJ8/

More demos please! Rockin' Banana!
ianross
Um, does this have a quantized burst output mode for making melodies and what not or do you have to use an external quantizer?

A bit confused about what you can do with these bursts when you use an external clock. If using an external clock are the bursts always on a grid or can you offset them off the grid?

If I'm using the gravity feature for example, would the initial bursts be on a grid and then because of "gravity" would the next bursts in line be off the grid?
dash80
ianross wrote:
Um, does this have a quantized burst output mode for making melodies and what not or do you have to use an external quantizer?

A bit confused about what you can do with these bursts when you use an external clock. If using an external clock are the bursts always on a grid or can you offset them off the grid?

If I'm using the gravity feature for example, would the initial bursts be on a grid and then because of "gravity" would the next bursts in line be off the grid?

This is kinda my misunderstanding as well...

I know it's fun for making crazy swirls of noise, but in use, I think I'd find it underutilized in my patches. Looks like fun though!
Ras Thavas
Really impressed with the number of features contained in this module, much deeper than I'd guessed from the tease videos and panel. 4 tracks of various styles of gate sequencing, output spreading, smearing and general smashing, very nice.

Only two things make me hold off, at least for right now, from an instant buy-

1) There appear to be a LOT of "hold this button first then press this one" combinations. Unless you work on a regular basis with this sort of module, you need to keep a cheat sheet around. I've lately been trying to avoid these wherever possible.

2) This module screams for being able to save more than one state. An expander that allowed saving presets would be most welcome.

If I can resist temptation, I'll wait and watch a few demos and videos, and see what users think after they've had it awhile.
GNE
I have a question.
Say you have it set to do 16 steps after a gate or trigger is sent to the burst input.
If another gate or trigger is received at the burst input before all 16 steps are completed, does it
A. immediately re-trigger the steps from the beginning.
B. ignore the burst input until the steps are completed.
White Noises
hybernaut wrote:
I think I saw this from Qu-Bit yesterday, and I really loved the video. Not just a bullet list of features (tho I love those videos too) but calm and deep exploration of the concepts and some techniques.

strawberry wrote:

Hey, that's me! Glad you guys found it useful - I'm planning on making more videos like this in the near future.
Carci
Looks fun and deep !
I get that it's a burst generator and it's primary purpose is not sequencing.

But could I use Pulsar as a 4 tracks 16 step trigger sequencer ?

Also, is there a way to reverse the gravity (accelerates towards the end of the burst) ?
boboter
I'd be super interested to see/hear how Pulsar behaves when fed with slow clocks. So that the bursts are spread across a few bars.
ben_hex
Carci wrote:
Looks fun and deep !

Just been doing that today. Slow clock and then going in and writing out a 16 part sequence for the four parts independently then just hitting burst to make it feel like it's looping but with breaks (depending on how frequently I'm hitting burst of the regularity of what I send into that.
MARK27
Just FYI, the Qu-Bit people seem to most always be open to accommodating alternate panels.

Being one of the Black Panel Minority (BPM), I have frequently asked them for alternate black panels for a number of their products, and they have always helped me out, even with discontinued models.

My guess is that they were showing the Pulsar in black just so people would know the option was there.

Drink the black!
Guinness ftw!
Carci
ben_hex wrote:
Carci wrote:
Looks fun and deep !

Just been doing that today. Slow clock and then going in and writing out a 16 part sequence for the four parts independently then just hitting burst to make it feel like it's looping but with breaks (depending on how frequently I'm hitting burst of the regularity of what I send into that.

Awesome, thank you.
7C
boboter wrote:
I'd be super interested to see/hear how Pulsar behaves when fed with slow clocks. So that the bursts are spread across a few bars.

this! anyone tried already?
adh82
This looks amazing. Hoping it can be as rhythmic as my zularic repetitor but also completely spacey!
ben_hex
Modular Podcast did a feature on Chance with Andrew from Qu-Bit (we chat about Pulsar too). Here's the interview/show and patch examples below too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4keYwkUuHNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dssLChLXlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P2gbC193kE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC5z9UTjmIA

digidandy
Are there any more videos of the Pulsar? Trying to find something other than the promo, but that's proving difficult.
dmod
digidandy wrote:
Are there any more videos of the Pulsar? Trying to find something other than the promo, but that's proving difficult.
Same here. What the hell? I thought there would be some vids by now. I am starting o have my doubts because when a really good module comes out it is usually proceeded by a storm of videos.
Kingnimrod
I think qu-bit is working on some tutorial videos.

When I have a chance I'll post some more videos to Instagram. I've posted a few showing beat generation and driving separate sequencers.

So far I think it's a great module - goes far beyond the usual burst generators available. It's a little tricky to remember the different hidden encoder functions but once you get the hang of it, it's fun.
digidandy
This one helped me ever so slightly, even if it's short. First demo of the gravity button, I think.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWL7mfggXjo/?hl=en
grape tony
Yeah really wondering about this / hard to find much.
Interested in its sequencing / Euclidean / clock dividing/ multi abilities ...
modmac
They are offering the choice of silver or black for all modules from their store, so everyone can be happy! I'm keen to get a few black versions of their modules.
MarcelP
Had the Pulsar for a week or so - only scratched the surface at this point (came with a bunch of other exciting modules that are being explored at the same time).

So far I have been making rhythms (a newish activity for me). The interface is not executed in my favourite way: multiple button presses, combination button pressing, holding buttons for over a second to access different parameters modes, etc. That said, the manual is comprehensible and I seem to be learning from my semi random groping and am getting more comfortable with it. LED colour changes to indicate mode/channel works well.

Best result has been feeding all four outs into one side of a Confundo Funkitus, other side fed from a Zularic Repetitor. Modulating the Pulsar can achieve quite "wonky" rhythms which can be more or less straightened up by cross fading with the Zularic inputs.

Definitely a module with much potential, a bit of a learning curve but multiple applications should be achievable with a bit of imagination/thought. I am happy with it.
mantid
My Pulsar arrived yesterday, and it seems the Mode encoder push doesn't work. For example, in Sequence mode, I can rotate it and see the cursor moving, but clicking it won't toggle a step.

In Euclidean mode, twisting it will add divisions, but pressing and twisting does not rotate the offset, it just does the same thing as not-pressing.

Is it possible I got it into some weird mode?

I am struggling with the manual, which mentions Global Page etc but not how to get into it or how to tell if you are. I _think_ I am figuring out how to navigate but am coming to the conclusion that my unit is broken.

Thanks for any insight or suggestions (I have reset it - got the white lamp indication - to no avail).
McRINdk
mantid wrote:
My Pulsar arrived yesterday, and it seems the Mode encoder push doesn't work. For example, in Sequence mode, I can rotate it and see the cursor moving, but clicking it won't toggle a step.

In Euclidean mode, twisting it will add divisions, but pressing and twisting does not rotate the offset, it just does the same thing as not-pressing.

Is it possible I got it into some weird mode?

I am struggling with the manual, which mentions Global Page etc but not how to get into it or how to tell if you are. I _think_ I am figuring out how to navigate but am coming to the conclusion that my unit is broken.

Thanks for any insight or suggestions (I have reset it - got the white lamp indication - to no avail).

I love mine. Something about the interface just works and takes me away from a grid mindset. I must admit it works as described now, but when I was randomly exploring in the beginning I did end up down dead ends where I had no idea where I was. I’ll,have a look tonight and see if anything comes to me.
Mirrorad
ianross wrote:

I just read the manual for the Pulsar, and someone please correct me if I've misunderstood, but it seems that this module only sends triggers for rhythms, but not dynamic CV values?

If my understanding is correct, I would love it if Qu-Bit made a Pulsar V2 that outputs both triggers and dynamic CV values (I'm fine with using an external quantizer). I really love the interface of the Pulsar, and the stellar electro-magnetic emissions concept. It's a really sexy design, with a great light display, and fun interactive controls. I would've picked one up by now for those reasons alone, but the absence of CV out would mean that I wouldn't use it as much. I'm really hoping someone will chime in and say I've just misunderstood.
MarcelP
Mirrorad wrote:
ianross wrote:

I just read the manual for the Pulsar, and someone please correct me if I've misunderstood, but it seems that this module only sends triggers for rhythms, but not dynamic CV values?

Yes, thats what it does - pulses. Really nice pulses in a multitude of rhythms and lengths and patterns and stuff with CV inputs. But "just" pulses! thumbs up
Mirrorad
MarcelP wrote:
Mirrorad wrote:
ianross wrote:

Yes, thats what it does - pulses. Really nice pulses in a multitude of rhythms and lengths and patterns and stuff with CV inputs. But "just" pulses! thumbs up

Thanks for confirming.
Please Qu-Bit, a Pulsar V2 with added random CV outputs would be absolutely irresistible.
mattsb
I'm considering a Pulsar but I can't figure out what is CV able and what isn't, and I can't find any videos that showcase the CV capabilities. I've read the manual a couple of times but find it quite dense especially when I can't actually try things out.

Can someone summarize what is CVable on a per track basis ? (I'm not super interested in CVing Global settings unless there is something super cool you can do that way).

Can someone explain how one triggers an asynchronous burst ? (If I read the manual right an async burst is one that isn't triggered by the clock, but by some external event or a button press?)

Are any of the functions on the main encoder CVable ? (e.g. Euclidean density or offset )
digidandy
I am confused by the behaviour on one of the channels of my Pulsar. On channel two, the first light in the burst sequence is coloured blue - while the rest of the pulses are, of course, purple, like they should be on channel two. What does this blue light mean? I have tried to find this in the manual, but no luck ... not sure what to search for.

Here is an image of the module, demonstrating what I mean:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nk5zybwhi11o4c8/IMG_7445.jpg?dl=0
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 3