USAMO start issue with Cirklon, Ableton Live and MOTU 24I/O

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, os

goldplate
Common Wiggler

USAMO start issue with Cirklon, Ableton Live and MOTU 24I/O

Post by goldplate » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:52 pm

Hi,

I have a weird issue with the USAMO. I've been able to use it pretty flawlessly for a long time. Unfortunately it showed some issues lately.

So, in a blank set in Ableton Live, the Cirklon is starting and syncing perfectly each time I press play. But as soon as I have recorded some tracks, it begins to not start each time. With about 20 tracks of audio and a few MIDI recorded, it just works like 1/30 times. I tried to turn off every track except USAMO and this is the same. Just after experimenting this I save and go to a blank set and it works everytime, then go back to the previous saved project and the issue is still the same. The MOTU 24I/O well sends the audio to the USAMO and this last well shows that it receives it on its LED, but the Cirklon doesn't start.

I tried the setting "delay start" on the USAMO controls and this helped to reach a somewhat 1/15 probability.

This is very annoying... Anybody did ever experiment this ?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:46 am

The fact that 'delay start' improves things points to this being the same long-standing bug in Live that that control is designed to cope with. It's worse with complex projects, which is probably why you don't see it until you have a full song going.

Are you using the 'external audio effect' device to send out the USAMO's audio?

It would be great if Ableton would actually fix this. If you'd like to email their support, refer them to my case ableton1401056 about this bug.

goldplate
Common Wiggler

Post by goldplate » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:14 pm

os wrote: Are you using the 'external audio effect' device to send out the USAMO's audio?
No, should I ?
It would be great if Ableton would actually fix this. If you'd like to email their support, refer them to my case ableton1401056 about this bug.
I wasn't expecting to contact the Ableton support as I don't know what's going on and produce the issue. :despair:
It's worse with complex projects, which is probably why you don't see it until you have a full song
So it's not possible to use the USAMO flawlessly with Live ?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:49 am

No, should I ?
It's an option. Some people find it helps their workflow.
I wasn't expecting to contact the Ableton support as I don't know what's going on and produce the issue.
You know that when a set becomes complex one of your plug-ins stops behaving correctly, because of a bug in Live. If nothing else, just email them and say "this is affecting me". The more people tell them a bug is affecting them, the more seriously they'll take it.
So it's not possible to use the USAMO flawlessly with Live ?
It's working flawlessly for many people. It's not entirely clear why some people run into this issue.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”