MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Metasonix wild speculation thread!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author New Metasonix wild speculation thread!
Yes Powder

Can we talk about this? It was posted on the Metasonix Facebook page with little information, but I'm already climbing the walls waiting for more info on it.
New oscillator? Filter? Waveshaper/Distortion? Perhaps that self-contained mixer-channel Eric was talking about? Something else entirely?
snakejaw
THREE tubes! Very curious. Eric, please spill the beans!
ritchiedrums
Looks like there will be 4 tubes when it is complete!! woah
Yes Powder
It looks like "Tune" is etched in the board under where "CV IN" is written in marker, and it obviously says "Level" near the center. I can't make out the work to the left of the leftmost knob though...
metasonix
tell you what---now that the recordbreaking heat wave is over here and as soon as i get rid of this horrible vascular headache and get some time to do a few experiments, you will know more. how's that.

yeah I know you guys love new shiny toys and love to speculate about them. There's only me to design a thing, lay out a PC board, lay out a front panel, get boards and panels made, order parts, etc. and only then can someone else help out by stuffing boards. After that I have to devise packaging, test and do final assembly, write a user manual (which is more than some outfits bother to do!!!) and update the website, box the toys up and beg a dealer to buy some. There's really no one else here to help smooth the process. Which is why we don't grind out new gadgets every month like some mfrs. in the Euro or pedal worlds.....sorry....

That pic we posted on FB is just a breadboard for an experiment. It is NOT what the final thing will be like. I've still got a LOT of work ahead.
snakejaw
Thank you for your work, Eric. To me your stuff is like the taste of straight strychnine, to misquote The Sonics. It's very much valued and appreciated. Best way I can show my support and appreciation is to buy some of the stuff you currently make. I try to do that when I can. Just, and only, my two cents.
sizone
pony tulpa generator
mt3
metasonix
Occurred to me that I've never seen a tube lowpass gate. Does anyone know if such a thing was ever built? I also wonder how many Buchla fanboys use an LPG instead of a regular VCA.
mt3
Some banter here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107006&highlight=
acgenerator
ElectricNoises wrote:

Can we talk about this? It was posted on the Metasonix Facebook page with little information, but I'm already climbing the walls waiting for more info on it.
New oscillator? Filter? Waveshaper/Distortion? Perhaps that self-contained mixer-channel Eric was talking about? Something else entirely?

Clearly this new module should be called "the Shocker" also known colloquially as "two in the pink, one in the stink".
mt3
Doesn't Vactrol stand for Vacuum Tube Trololol? Why reinvent the modular wheel?
Robscorch
mt3 wrote:
Doesn't Vactrol stand for Vacuum Tube Trololol? Why reinvent the modular wheel?

Never maintain cash savings again

WELL isn't most of this eurorack shit copied and sorta reinvented anyway... Tube oscillators are about the most unique thing we have aside from our new computer and control thingies.
mt3
I thought it was all about one meta level higher: tube emulations of digital reenactments of vintage new old stock circuitry.
Robscorch
mt3 wrote:
I thought it was all about one meta level higher: tube emulations of digital reenactments of vintage new old stock circuitry.

lol

We are so getting there. w00t
metasonix
mt3 wrote:

FWIW that's not why I do it. This is my perverse rewrite of 1950s history....I have to keep things workable with other devices (and put up with occasional idiots claiming "it's broken" because they don't understand it) and so forth, but the whole concept is to more-or-less make a synth the way it would have been done in 1958, before cheap and good transistors were available.

We still get the "dood i thot it would sound Moogy but it's broken" type of idiots occasionally. Not so much of them anymore.

So I'm taking it that no one ever made a tube LPG before? Right....thats the next breadboard....
Robscorch
metasonix wrote:

So I'm taking it that no one ever made a tube LPG before? Right....thats the next breadboard....

Go for the gold a tube no pass filter and it should have a butt mud button. Rasta-nana
Yes Powder
metasonix wrote:

AWESOME! Can't wait SlayerBadger!
sizone
wretchmachine replaced by the pukela music asshole.
Bambou
ElectricNoises wrote:
metasonix wrote:

AWESOME! Can't wait SlayerBadger!

+1 Can't wait too !! screaming goo yo
mt3
Free bad ideas:
* Tube passive multiple
* Fast Fourier Tube Transform
* Wavetuble oscillator
* Tube PSU

Should keep R&D busy for a few days.
numan7
SlayerBadger! a quad-tube-lpg module that could function as a basic voltage-controlled mixer, among other patches, would be wicked-wicked awesome and make me dance with joy in the streets - however something tells me such a thing would be too large in size, current consumption and cost to be practical as a module (but please-please tell me if otherwise)... Metasonix!

:edit: i also like FatRocky's suggestion below - imagining a DUAL tube-lpg will be utter sonic splendor! The Agonizer!

cheers
FatRocky
metasonix wrote:
mt3 wrote:

FWIW that's not why I do it. This is my perverse rewrite of 1950s history....I have to keep things workable with other devices (and put up with occasional idiots claiming "it's broken" because they don't understand it) and so forth, but the whole concept is to more-or-less make a synth the way it would have been done in 1958, before cheap and good transistors were available.

We still get the "dood i thot it would sound Moogy but it's broken" type of idiots occasionally. Not so much of them anymore.

please make it a DUAL one
metasonix
A quad one is of course possible; the question is, are you willing to pay $1200 for it? And even more for one with resonance capability, because it DOUBLES the number of tubes needed.

I THINK we can cram a single simple one into 8hp. Experimenting now.
Robscorch
metasonix wrote:
A quad one is of course possible; the question is, are you willing to pay $1200 for it? And even more for one with resonance capability, because it DOUBLES the number of tubes needed.

I THINK we can cram a single simple one into 8hp. Experimenting now.

Why does everything need to be "complex" or "dual" or "quad" ...? I thought we choose modular so we can fuck with the routing a bit? hmmm..... This is such a better idea and keep it around $250-320 bucks and you'll have a weiner.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3