MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

"Same sound enough" guilty or okay?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author "Same sound enough" guilty or okay?
rec.Koner
Question mostly about times when you make tonal/melodic albums... Did you ever went through "same sound for each instruments on album" route? I mean, having same patches for bass/lead/drum/etc during the whole release.

I know that sounds like... killing the purpose of using synth (especially modular), but Dead Banana

sometimes you just wanna treat synth like an instrument like guitar, piano etc. that sounds good enough without all those sound editing things. Up to "hey it's just pure sine with some reverb and that's it".

Also sometimes i was moving into such mood when i was disappointed with all those presets in digital synths where, imho, oscillator itself sounds meh. Personally, if i dislike sound of "nude", "pure" oscillator without all that wizardry layered, then most likely i dislike that synth.

So i was thinking is it ashaming to make "primitive use" of synth like that?

seriously, i just don't get it

Sometimes. And after that go back to modulating madness twisted
lasesentaysiete
Quote:
if i dislike sound of "nude", "pure" oscillator without all that wizardry layered, then most likely i dislike that synth.

I'd say that if your aesthetic goals are met--regardless of the process--then you're good. IE, if it works, it works.

I love the sound of raw oscillators. It may seem silly just listening to the output of a 258 when the surrounding synth is a power house, but its not.
TS
It can really help unify a body of work, I'm not against it.
The Grump
My $.02: Compose and track your ideas ASAP using sounds you are comfortable with, then modify or swap out the sounds later, as appropriate for each piece. Time is your enemy.
snes
I tend to make new patches with every song i make...i don't like repetition on each and every track, it just gets dull and unimaginative very quickly for me. To say that it kills the vibe and creativity isn't a stretch either.

I purposely built my modular with various vco's and filters and modulation sources and also a 84hp rack that is only for effects, just so i can treat it like 5-6 complete voices to use in my tracks.
stk
The Grump wrote:
My $.02: Compose and track your ideas ASAP using sounds you are comfortable with, then modify or swap out the sounds later, as appropriate for each piece. Time is your enemy.

This works for me. The most important thing is getting the idea down.
slowpilgrim
For me it's the opposite way round. I make patches on Reaktor/Diva and come up with riffs and melodies which transpire from those sounds. These then form the basis of tracks. Hence I don't use the same patch twice.

I don't really visualise a track beforehand. Hence I can't compose first then choose sounds.

Both are completely viable!
BLX
For me also, an idea/track stems from a patch or idea usually created from mucking about. That spark is critical to drive me on. Ive had moments where an idea pops into my mind but these are rarely while im actually in the studio (frustratingly) , and even if i can hold onto to it long enough to get to sound source its usually lost in the process of getting my sounds togeather

Perhaps this is a question thats determined by what genre your composing in.

It may also be a reflection of my attention span to sounds. I kind of like changing it up and even though much of my music does clearly exhibit recurring ideas and sounds, at the point of composition, im sure i felt i was doing something different.
Scories
rec.Koner wrote:
sometimes you just wanna treat synth like an instrument like guitar, piano etc. that sounds good enough without all those sound editing things. Up to "hey it's just pure sine with some reverb and that's it".

This seems to be perfectly legit.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1