MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Disting Wavetable VCO. I'm excited
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Disting Wavetable VCO. I'm excited
lessavyfav
My mk4 is is in the mail to be my mk3's buddy and I'm so excited about the wavetable VCO mode!

I've got all these neat wavetables from the soft synth Serum. They are set up for that each wave is 2047 samples long. How does that convert to the wavelength setting? The default is 600 frames. I don't know what frames v samples are.

Serum exports it's waveTables at 2047 samples per wave multiplied by however many waves there are in the table... Does this make sense? How does that get reflected in playlist-wavetable.txt

For example: here are 11 wavetable and a playlist set up to me best understanding: https://we.tl/5uORDQ48Ey

As you can tell I'm eager for this! It'd be killer to have the files set up and ready to go when the module arrives!
os
That looks fine. You could save yourself some typing by putting the wavelength once at the top as a default:
Code:

disting playlist v1
-wavelength=2047
4088.wav
alloPhones.wav
etc.

Just tried the files in the module and they work fine. They won't all fit though - the disting only has about 60kB of RAM to work with, so if you have too many waveforms in the table it will only load some of them.
adam
has this got a phase modulation input by any chance?
os
No. What would that do exactly?
adam
modulate the phase of the waveform, starting point in the table i suppose, and produce fm-like or filtered style sounds
adam
casio style https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_distortion_synthesis

and straight pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_modulation
os
I'll add it to the wishlist!
adam
thanks smile
cryptogreen
lessavyfav wrote:
My mk4 is is in the mail to be my mk3's buddy and I'm so excited about the wavetable VCO mode!

I've got all these neat wavetables from the soft synth Serum. They are set up for that each wave is 2047 samples long. How does that convert to the wavelength setting? The default is 600 frames. I don't know what frames v samples are.

Serum exports it's waveTables at 2047 samples per wave multiplied by however many waves there are in the table... Does this make sense? How does that get reflected in playlist-wavetable.txt

For example: here are 11 wavetable and a playlist set up to me best understanding: https://we.tl/5uORDQ48Ey

As you can tell I'm eager for this! It'd be killer to have the files set up and ready to go when the module arrives!

Thanks for posting this! I tried loading some wavetables and failed utterly, despite attempting most earnestly to follow the instructions. At least I can use the mode now razz
mwgilbert
Where are code examples or docs for Disting patches to be found?

Thanks, -MWG

--
mwg@mwgilbert.com
www.mwgilbert.com
derpy
If anyone is interested in converting Waldorf NW1 wavetables (ie files exported from the NW1 editor software) You could try this via commandline to convert them to wav for use with Disting.

Quote:

dd if=YourWavetable.wtrs of=Trimmed.raw skip=88 bs=1

sox -r 44100 -c 1 -L -b 32 -e floating-point Trimmed.raw -r 44100 -c 1 -b 16 -e signed-integer Converted.wav
AndiSt
I have a disting mk4 and would love to use the wavetable functionality. I have tried various files, but I am only able to produce distortions or noise sounds. Are there example wav files available that work?
os
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2592793#2592793
AndiSt
os wrote:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2592793#2592793

I am using the wav files from www.adventurekid.se, and I am not getting results: disting mk4 keeps on rebooting, sound output is always noise and distortions. All other algorithms that I have tried out are working properly. Also the sample player and audio recording work, but the wavetable VCO is buggy. I am somewhat disappointed, as the wavetable VCO was my main motivation to purchase a disting mk4. Would be nice to have an official zip file containing example playlists and wavetables, as we have it with the sample player.
os
The forum post I linked to contains the AK waveforms with the playlist files already set up, which may be where you're going wrong.

Did you install the 4.2.2 update with the bugfixes?
AndiSt
I did install 4.2.2

When I copy this on an SD card which seems to be compatible (because other audio files work and I was able to install the latest firmware)...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u95846n5dtmq2kh/AKWF-disting.zip?dl=0

I only get noise and distortions, not a single useable sound. The only parameter that works is number 1 (octave shift). Parameter 0 (choosing wavetables) does not work. There seems to be a parameter 2 (offset), which is undocumented and which does not impact the sound in any way.

I don't think I made mistakes putting together the txt files and a tried with different aw files, also much less; I was not able to get a single useable sound out of the Wavetable VCO so far. A zip file containing some wavetables and playlist files which produces useable sounds would demonstrate that algorithm K1 works.
os
I do believe those files work. Could you post a video of the disting booting up, entering mode K1 and attempting to switch wavetables?
AndiSt
os wrote:
I do believe those files work. Could you post a video of the disting booting up, entering mode K1 and attempting to switch wavetables?

No time for that, unfortunately. Two more observations: 1) I am able to change folders, but turning the S knob only allows me to select the first and last folder specified in the playlist. 2) The data from the link above contains dozens / hundreds WAV files in each folder. But Disting Mk4 only makes use of maybe a handful of files. It seems that there exist undocumented limits regarding file size / number of files. I can imagine that the large number of folders is responsible for the problems described in 1).
Occasionally, I am able to get musical results from WAV files in the first folder (the results sound similar like in your YouTube video). But most of the time, all I get is noise. I think there are some unresolved memory management problems in addition to the number of files/folders problems described in 1) and 2) that need to be addressed in a forthcoming firmware update.
os
I just downloaded AKWF-disting.zip from the link above and unzipped it onto an SD card, which I put into a disting running firmware 4.2.2. It works perfectly. I can select all the wavetables, and they all sound good.

My conclusion is that there's something odd about your setup which is causing problems.

A picture speaks a thousand words; a video speaks a thousand words 30 times a second.
AndiSt
os wrote:
I just downloaded AKWF-disting.zip from the link above and unzipped it onto an SD card, which I put into a disting running firmware 4.2.2. It works perfectly. I can select all the wavetables, and they all sound good.

My conclusion is that there's something odd about your setup which is causing problems.

A picture speaks a thousand words; a video speaks a thousand words 30 times a second.

All my issues have resolved after installing firmware version 4.3
midilifestyle
lessavyfav wrote:

I was stoked to find this, as my attempts with the adventure kid vcos are working, but they're noisy. The link isn't working anymore.

The youtube vid where I found this link sounds sooo much better than my attempts. Any chance you could re-upload this treat?
blaerg
I'm having an issue with K1 mode.

Yesterday I tried it for the first time withe AKWF files, which had the playlists all set up. Worked as expected.

Made some waveforms with the SynthTech application, changed the playlist file to accord with the new files. These played as single waveform VCO but wouldn't interpolate between waveforms (I could select them individually only). I figured I missed something with the playlist file and after making some (probably incorrect) adjustments I couldn't even get the previous results.

At this point (despite trying the same exact AKWF files again) the K1 mode is not outputting any audio, does not show the options for octave, offset or table when I press the Z encoder and doesn't list any of the files. I tried re-installing the 4.3 firmware but everything remains the same. All attempts were made using the same OSX computer, with multiple SD cards.

I'm not sure what to do next.
os
Have you tried reformatting the card completely, and then putting back the working AKWF files?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1