MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Reaktor Blocks routing questions and suggestions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Reaktor Blocks routing questions and suggestions
TommyRaddcliff
starting this thread as i was deviating from the topic in the Kodiak Blocks thread.

thread for asking questions or offer suggestions/solutions for signal routing for Reaktor Blocks.

im gonna open with a question.
trying to get a a GATE from QCD into Blocks, convert to MIDI trig out to Machinedrum.

QCD going into ES-8, into Logic/Blocks, out to Machinedrum.
i see/hear the incoming signal in Logic coming from QCD. i dont see it in Blocks. so this is where i get stuck.
ill just take the signal from INPUT 1 [audio coming from IN 1 of ES-8] in Reaktor to the scope to see if anything is actually making its way into Blocks...i get nothing. confused
listentoaheartbeat
This is more a Logic routing question than it is a Blocks routing question, and I don't use Logic, but I will try to point you in the right direction.

Create an audio channel, set its inputs to where the QCD is coming in on the ES-8. Set audio channel to monitoring/record-enable or whatever it is called in Logic, so the signals come through. Insert Reaktor 6 FX into the audio channel, open the Blocks New Ensemble. The In Modules in the structure will carry your input signals from the audio channel, and you can use them as gate signals in Blocks.
TommyRaddcliff
listentoaheartbeat wrote:
This is more a Logic routing question than it is a Blocks routing question, and I don't use Logic, but I will try to point you in the right direction.

Create an audio channel, set its inputs to where the QCD is coming in on the ES-8. Set audio channel to monitoring/record-enable or whatever it is called in Logic, so the signals come through. Insert Reaktor 6 FX into the audio channel, open the Blocks New Ensemble. The In Modules in the structure will carry your input signals from the audio channel, and you can use them as gate signals in Blocks.

ive done this...i now get the QCD signal into Blocks.
but id like to take that and send it out to MIDI back to Machinedrum.
i was told this is doable...i cant seem to figure it out.

can i convert that incoming GATE to a MIDI trigger and output that? i see the MIDI meter in the upper right responding, but i cant figure what channel its on and how to get that to where i want it to go

i dont see an option for Reaktor FX, just Reaktor MFX...i assume that is the same?

[2 hours later...]

i think its boiling down to me not being able to get MIDI to transmit from Blocks in Logic. i can get MIDI and Audio in. i can send audio out....but no MIDI.

[one more hour]....werks in standalone. easy enough. cant sort it in Logic yet. i dont think the Reaktor virtual MIDI out werks in Logic.

[damn this was something doable with silentway]
listentoaheartbeat
I am using the VST plug-in, it's called Reaktor 6 FX. The AU plug-in is indeed called Reaktor 6 MFX. AU does not support MIDI output from plug-ins.

Maybe consider Ableton Live? Its audio and MIDI routing is much more flexible and capable than Logic's, and it supports VST.
TommyRaddcliff
ya thats what i was reading. bummer.
i dont like ableton :( . oh well. ill just use it in standalone synced to logic for that then.
listentoaheartbeat
To be honest, I really like running Reaktor stand-alone, even with Ableton Live. I somehow end up with the more interesting patches if I treat it like an external modular system, and being able to use the full screen is a plus with Blocks specifically (Split View ftw). Ableton Link is fantastic, too bad Logic lacks in this department as well.
Entrainer
To be honest, I really like running Reaktor stand-alone, even with Ableton Live. I somehow end up with the more interesting patches if I treat it like an external modular system, and being able to use the full screen is a plus with Blocks specifically (Split View ftw). Ableton Link is fantastic, too bad Logic lacks in this department as well.

I've been thinking of going this stand-alone way. I want Reaktor to control my modular and mutitrack channels of the modular back into Ableton.

How are you locking Reaktor to Ableton? Are you using an IAC/Virtual Midibus, or are you using Link? Link doesn't control the start/stop, and since I'm tracking, that way be an issue.
listentoaheartbeat
I am using Link. I cannot be bothered with MIDI Clock any more, it's just too unreliable. The Util Clock Block sends a reset event when started, so I manually start Reaktor to match Ableton's timeline if needed. Most of the time I just keep things running all the time, so it's not really a big deal for me anyway. I can think of a few workarounds for flexible reset events though, using audio signals / gates or OSC. Never tried either, but should be possible.
TommyRaddcliff
in Logic i can set a MIDI destination to Reaktor 6 Virtual Input. that keeps the standalone Reaktor in perfect sync with Logic. i was KINDA hoping that i could use it in Logic to take advantage of the automation, but not a deal breaker.

i think since i got Reaktor at a discount, i may take those bucks saved and get Silentway, it can send MIDI as an AU plug.
listentoaheartbeat
TommyRaddcliff wrote:
in Logic i can set a MIDI destination to Reaktor 6 Virtual Input. that keeps the standalone Reaktor in perfect sync with Logic. i was KINDA hoping that i could use it in Logic to take advantage of the automation, but not a deal breaker.

As a workaround, you could open the Reaktor plug-in in Logic, create some knobs controlled by automation, and send their output data to Reaktor stand-alone via OSC.

Actually, this would also be a good way to reset Reaktor stand-alone at specific points in the timeline and solve the problem discussed with Entrainer. Will try this later today.
TommyRaddcliff
RIGHT!...i always forget about that.
thanks man.
oisin
To be honest, I really like running Reaktor stand-alone, even with Ableton Live. ... being able to use the full screen is a plus with Blocks specifically (Split View ftw).

is this really the case that you cant resize the window (or expand it to a reasonable size for blocks)? im just getting into blocks and was surprised by this.. thought i was missing something..
listentoaheartbeat
oisin wrote:
To be honest, I really like running Reaktor stand-alone, even with Ableton Live. ... being able to use the full screen is a plus with Blocks specifically (Split View ftw).

is this really the case that you cant resize the window (or expand it to a reasonable size for blocks)? im just getting into blocks and was surprised by this.. thought i was missing something..

You can resize the plug-in window (drag bottom-right corner), it's fine. Nevertheless, I prefer Reaktor stand-alone running in full screen mode, and being able to switch to it at any time using key commands. Minor things really, it's just a different workflow.
oisin
for some reason i can only resize it a bit; but im happy running it in standalone with IAC midi and soundflowering the audio back to ableton SlayerBadger!
TommyRaddcliff
oisin wrote:

You can resize the plug-in window (drag bottom-right corner), it's fine. Nevertheless, I prefer Reaktor stand-alone running in full screen mode, and being able to switch to it at any time using key commands. Minor things really, it's just a different workflow.

i WOULD be nice if you could change the scaling though. the blocks are so small....for my failing eyes...it would be nice if it had an option to make the blocks bigger. [or maybe it does and i haven't found it wink ]
wallyp
Try Reaper. The routing is extremely flexible. And load up a Logic skin.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1