MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Screws
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Screws
johny_gtr
Hi all!
I'm going to re-configure one of my MU case and I've understand how I have these small black screws that I used before. Could you share with me please which screws do you use in your modular cases. Links will be the best.
Mark11Audio
johny_gtr wrote:
Hi all!
I'm going to re-configure one of my MU case and I've understand how I have these small black screws that I used before. Could you share with me please which screws do you use in your modular cases. Links will be the best.

For wood cases and screwing directly into the wood rails, I used these... a little bit longer than what other use, but in my opinion much more secure for heavier 6-8 wide modules.

Wood Screws Link

...and for "machined threaded" rail type rack frames etc etc... I liked a little something different, so I used hexagon socket button heads...

Hexagon Socket Button Head Link

which I just happen to have a few hundred for sale... applause
unrecordings
Fibre or nylon washers are a good idea too - saves the paintwork on those lovely panels
Gizmo
unrecordings wrote:
Fibre or nylon washers are a good idea too - saves the paintwork on those lovely panels

Fiber washers from Kadee work nicely with #6 (U.S. size) wood screws or machine screws. Package of 4 dozen #209 Gray Insulating Fiber Washers, 0.010in thick.

See kadee.com. (This is not an advertisement - these are simply a great solution.)
josaka
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Nails-Screws-Fasteners/Fastadrive-Black-Jap anned-Pan-Head-Wood-Screw/B00JJRLFDQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1498867766 &sr=8-4&keywords=%236++black+screws
Synthoholic
Mark11Audio wrote:
johny_gtr wrote:
Hi all!

For wood cases and screwing directly into the wood rails, I used these... a little bit longer than what other use, but in my opinion much more secure for heavier 6-8 wide modules.

Wood Screws Link

...and for "machined threaded" rail type rack frames etc etc... I liked a little something different, so I used hexagon socket button heads...

Those wood screws...will they easily grind down in harder woods? Roger's cabinet is quite hard to screw the supplied screws into. The screwdriver slips and before you know it, the screw is close to being done for.
johny_gtr
Thank you all!

Quote:
"machined threaded" rail type
it's interesting variant. I have an eurorack case (plywood+tolex+metal rails) and really like how solid euro modules mounted in rails. Maybe it's a time to do the same for 5U cases.
unrecordings
johny_gtr wrote:
I have an eurorack case (plywood+tolex+metal rails) and really like how solid euro modules mounted in rails. Maybe it's a time to do the same for 5U cases.

Ta Da !

Mark11Audio
Synthoholic wrote:
Mark11Audio wrote:
johny_gtr wrote:
Hi all!

Wood Screws Link

Those wood screws...will they easily grind down in harder woods? Roger's cabinet is quite hard to screw the supplied screws into. The screwdriver slips and before you know it, the screw is close to being done for.

I'm using Birch, very hard wood... key is to line up where you want the screw, and "pre-drill" I've been very successful. No breakage yet. thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Mark11Audio
unrecordings wrote:
johny_gtr wrote:
I have an eurorack case (plywood+tolex+metal rails) and really like how solid euro modules mounted in rails. Maybe it's a time to do the same for 5U cases.

Ta Da !

I love the "idea" but in my experience, until we can get ALL manufactures to accurately measure their panels and hole size AND placement... it will be "off" just enough that it wont always work...

Now if you're using just ONE manufactures modules... you may be in luck. But when I had several full cabinets of Mos-Lab, Moon, STG, COTK, SSL, and Oakley Krisp1's... I didn't have "consistency" across the board for hole placement... even though they all claim they do, in reality... they just didn't. YMMV waah waah waah
unrecordings
Already got that covered - the pitch of this stuff doesn't fit MOTM anyway so I cut the tapped strip into individual pieces so that anything will fit in it so long as the vertical measurement is around 6mm. The sides are just stock 3mm aluminium so you can put the chassis together however you want (or not bother with sides at all and just screw the rails into the top/bottom panels of your case)
Rex Coil 7
SCREWS .... aluminum, stainless, carbon steel, nylon, everwhat!

http://www.fastener-express.com/

Anodized aluminum allen head machine screws, pan head phillip's screws ... good prices .. good people.

http://www.fastener-express.com/socket-head-cap-screws-aluminum.aspx

They even carry allen head sheet metal screws which may be used as woodscrews ....

http://www.fastener-express.com/socket-head-sheet-metal-screws-alloy-s teel.aspx

I've used their services for years. If you do not know what type of screw to ask for (eg; what thread pitch you require to match existing gear needs) just send them a single screw you already have and they gladly match it up to what they carry, and they will even politely send your one little screw back to you at no charge even if you do not decide to place an order.

hihi
wsy
If you're using birch as rails, that's part of the problem. None of my cases have a problem with standard McMaster-Carr #6 1/2" long
sheet metal screws in black oxide with black nylon washers.

Birch is hard, but it's also stiff. Hard to put a screw into unless you liberally drill a full-size core hole (which you should be doing anyway).

Try red oak rails instead. It's less stiff, but a "tougher" wood; where other woods will split and break, red oak will just
bend and spring back. It's downside is that it has continuous pores, so if one end of a piece of red oak gets wet,
the water will wick right up the grain at an inch a minute or faster! Amazing to watch if you don't care that the wood
will swell.

On the other hand, the porous end grain means it end-glues _really_ well, and red oak takes an amazing pattern on
when you apply a mahogany stain.

- Bill
Sideshow
I've used black screws and washers that I bought from AliExpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100pcs-8-8-grade-steel-with-black-zinc -m4-12-hex-socket-cap-head-sound-model/32308187538.html?spm=a2g0s.9042 311.0.0.QRfPPe

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/80pcs-M4-8-1mm-Black-Plastic-Nylon-Was her-Plated-Flat-Spacer-Washer-Gasket-Ring-nl13/32707588773.html?spm=a2 g0s.9042311.0.0.QRfPPe
wsy
Sideshow wrote:
I've used black screws and washers that I bought from AliExpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100pcs-8-8-grade-steel-with-black-zinc -m4-12-hex-socket-cap-head-sound-model/32308187538.html?spm=a2g0s.9042 311.0.0.QRfPPe

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/80pcs-M4-8-1mm-Black-Plastic-Nylon-Was her-Plated-Flat-Spacer-Washer-Gasket-Ring-nl13/32707588773.html?spm=a2 g0s.9042311.0.0.QRfPPe

I once bought screws from China (AliExpress? Flea-bay? Amazon?).

They were utter and unmitigated crap.

They wobbled as you screwed them in, the heads stripped out easily (brought new meaning to the
term "cheese-head screw"), they were under-length (8mm measured out at just over 7mm actual bottom-of-head
to end of thread) and the threads were so undersize that a couple "popped a thread" when I tried to
tighten them into Z-rail.

Utter, unmitigated crap.

A co-worker from China expressed it this way: "You got what you paid for. What did you expect? Factory has to
make a profit, no matter where it is."

Wicked true....

- Bill
Sideshow
wsy wrote:

I believe you! I've also bought the cheapest out of the cheapest 1/4 jacks.
They where as you would call it utter and unmitigated crap!

However you can get lucky aswell, buying from China is a bit hit-or-miss.
The screws I recommended do their job to my fully satisfaction. I wouldn't reccomend them if they didn't...
eewee
I bought a box of 200 like these at the local hardware store (6mm M3). They look great, more like rivets:
johny_gtr
wsy wrote:

Almost all the stuff are from China in the markets nowadays. Some of them are sold as 'Made in PRC', some are debranded. But Chinese factories quality are very different. In 90% cases I move to trash stock screws and bolts from kits like guitar hanger or Ikea village house furniture.
cornutt
I'm one of those who likes the screw heads black. I get a bottle of gloss black modeling paint and dip the screw heads in it.
unrecordings
In the UK...

If you want reasonable cheap screws for construction then Screwfix

If you want something that's visible like brass woodscrews then Kay's Fasteners (who also operate on eBay) - Kay's also sell machine screws & washers, so you could get most of your hardware from there
Zodanga
For threaded rails (e.g., Dot Com Box 11 cabinets), I'm using these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009XSYI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailp age?ie=UTF8&psc=1
johny_gtr
Chinese screws that were recommended by Sideshow are great! I have installed two new modules into my system and find these screws pretty good and solid. Recommended.

If you buy these screws - check shipping costs. It can differ from mobile app to web view 10(ten!) times. I don't know why seriously, i just don't get it
megaohm
Black #6 3/8" wood screws:
McMaster Carr part number - 90935A146
100 for $3.50

Thin black plastic washer:
McMaster Carr part number - 90295A380
100 for $5.18
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1