MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Distortion and graininess
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Distortion and graininess
theantiroman
Looking for a distortion (I use the term generally here with out regard to guitar ideas surrounding OD, fuzz...) where the graininess/ texture/ quality of the sound of the distortion is variable. So not just a grainy distortion but a system where the exact kind of graininess can be adjusted.

I think I'm somewhat thinking of a fuzz or overblown amp sound where you get a lot of square wave-ish clipping vs a smoother sounding kind of distortion. Not sure if my question makes sense. I can try to elaborate.

I've had luck getting vastly different textures of distortion with a wmd acoustic trauma, but that pedal is still just one kind of gain/very saturated but modified via the e.q.
gentle_attack
Without sound examples or anything...

Smallsound/Bigsound Buzzz is every fuzz pedal (I've used) in one. I'm sure the more specified high end stuff like AM/DAM/Pigdog are all 'sweet spots' but between the Starve knob//Germ+Si //'B' seetings, you get so many textures. It sounds awesome on Bass, Guitar, and Synth. Haven't tried it with a drum machine, maybe I'll get the PO-12 out tonight.

I love the F_CK overdrive too but the BUZZZ is probably more of what you're describing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaqT2GpqY5E
tesserack
I just purchased one of these pedals a while back and it's a hex analogue distortion guitar synthesizer pedal complete with two low-frequency oscillators, 2 filters, assignable adsr envelope that is triggered via a midi note on message, and a complex modulation Matrix.

It also functions as a breakout box with quarter inch outputs for each guitar string.( 1 stereo output for each two strings)

It works best with a 13 pin hex pickup like a Roland gk 3 or a cycfi Hexaphonic pickup however it does except a standard quarter inch mono input.

https://www.spicetone.com/products/6appeal-guitar-distortion-pedal-fre e-shipping

It lists for a $500 but can be purchased for $425 on sale at perfect circuit, generally during a holiday sale and includes a 20-foot 13 Pin cable in a 1-foot 13 Pin cable that is used for the 13 pin output.

More information here.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16226.msg122099#msg12 2099
sduck
There are some 9,874 distortion pedals on the market. Give or take a few. Not to mention the 7,665 fuzz pedals, and 11,732 overdrive pedals. And quite a few (a lot, actually) combo pedals. Probably a significant subset of these will get close to what you're looking for. Rather than recommending what seems to work for me, I'd suggest finding someone who has that "sound" that's close to what you're looking for, and find out what they use.

BTW using words to describe the qualities of a distortion/fuzz/overdrive pedal is an exercise in futility - there's so much more to the sound than can be adequately verbalized.
tesserack
sduck wrote:
There are some 9,874 distortion pedals on the market. Give or take a few. Not to mention the 7,665 fuzz pedals, and 11,732 overdrive pedals. And quite a few (a lot, actually) combo pedals. .
and every one of those pedals sound like mud,imo, when you play chords due to harmonic interference between notes. A hex distortion pedal solves that problem because each string gets it's own Distortion circuit.

I tended to always play clean tones because I never found any Distortion unit that sounded good to my ears, until I discovered what hexaphonic pickups sent to an analog hex Distortion unit could do.
controlFreak
tesserack wrote:
and every one of those pedals sound like mud,imo, when you play chords due to harmonic interference between notes. A hex distortion pedal solves that problem because each string gets it's own Distortion circuit.

I tended to always play clean tones because I never found any Distortion unit that sounded good to my ears, until I discovered what hexaphonic pickups sent to an analog hex Distortion unit could do.

interested to hear what this sounds like.

I am also into doing this kind of thing, but with normal pickups, parallel signal paths and lots of pre filtering into lots of different fuzz effects.

Your way might be simpler... but i don't have hex pickups sad banana

...yet
smetak
controlFreak wrote:
tesserack wrote:

I am also into doing this kind of thing, but with normal pickups, parallel signal paths and lots of pre filtering into lots of different fuzz effects.

...yet

I second that! Really would like to hear this, especially if using standard pickups (nope, don't have hexaphonic either).

As for different textures/grainyness, I would go after a bitcrusher instead of a fuzz, OD or distortion - normally, a Geiger Counter - seems to fit the bill for what you are after. Been using the Meris bitcrusher (https://www.meris.us/product/ottobit-jr/) - way more tamer than the famed yellow brick of doom, but you can get some incredible fuzz-like tones from it - and the filter! Man, oh man!
tesserack
controlFreak wrote:
tesserack wrote:

...yet
here's a link to a SoundCloud example. As soon as I get some of my own examples recorded I'll post it. The SoundCloud links are from the guy who turned me on to this pedal over at vguitarforums.

I came over here because I believe modular holds the key to realize the dream of a analog signal path,hex guitar synthesizer without having to convert pitch to MIDI or convert pitch to cv in order to trigger a synthesizer. Those two conversion methods, As We Know, bring about tracking errors.

I also learned the ethic here of supporting small manufacturers who are doing innovative electronic design
Work. That particular spicetone pedal is made in Estonia by a small company who pledges to develop further hex processors if they can find some success with this product.

So far they've only sold about a hundred pedals and a
I'm trying to get the word out because I'd really like to see more hex processors. It'd be cool if they produced something similar to the old analog Roland gr 300.

https://soundcloud.com/chlorinemist/sketch-52517/s-ozOZq

https://soundcloud.com/chlorinemist/envlfos/s-tOA9F
MindMachine
MATHS.

edit - wrong neighborhood.
mrcharles
Two devices come to mind... and I have both..

Have a look at the Rockett WTF pedal. I love the sound... it has both overdrive and fuzz stages... and the fuzz circuit is adjustable and incorporates a circuit by Paul Trombetta.

The other is Elektron's Analog Heat. Very flexible with a wonderful range of sonic coloration with envelope follower, LFO, MIDI, and multi-filter...
mrcharles
Oops... double post...
oscillateur
You might be looking for a pedal with a bias/starve control.

Two excellent examples are the Smallsound/Bigsound Mini (from boost to overdrive to fuzz, sounds wonderful with low bias) and the Smallsound/Bigsound Buzzz (less clean but more fuzz options).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1