MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Digitakt/Euro Integration
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Digitakt/Euro Integration
Funky40
thelizard wrote:
I picked up a CV OCD, which is a standalone $100 box that does midi-to-CV conversion:
https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/cvocd-a-super-flexible-midi- to-cv-box/

this box looks great. I was on the fence to get one.
.........just that it misses a Midi thru port. ( what a waist to not implement one )

i´ve used my FH-1 with the DT.
so far it "was" not possible to connect over DT USB out ( but Os sayed he will get a DT to look into this )(not shure if anything has changed allready)
used my FH-1 + 1x FH1-X so far only for test purposes to sequence some Drum modules. The conditional Triggs are awesome.

right now do i think i will get me a shuttle control vs. using my FH-1 "alone".
the FH-1 programming is not my thing, and *i think* it is quite limited in regards to do complex setups with running 2-3 expanders and "do everything in one".

so far i use my DT mainly with modular FX without any CV control
Thats also VERY great !

in fact is my DT sitting in a combined DT/Euro skiff. DT plus 6U Euro, octatrack width and a little (36cm)
tinkering right now another row euro on top of it to get 9U

thelizard
Funky40 wrote:
thelizard wrote:
I picked up a CV OCD, which is a standalone $100 box that does midi-to-CV conversion:
https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/cvocd-a-super-flexible-midi- to-cv-box/

this box looks great. I was on the fence to get one.
.........just that it misses a Midi thru port. ( what a waist to not implement one )

Same seller has a $60 MIDI splitter/thru box:
https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/banana-split-6-way-midi-spli tterthru-box/

But yeah, then you have three boxes that need power!
suboptimal
A baby has interrupted my DT integration plans, but I'm going to control things via a Kilpatrick K1600. I've wired things up so a pair of aux sends on my main mixer will feed the DT inputs, so I can send whatever is worth sampling through that. Will probably also sometimes run the DT back to the modular (Intellijel Audio Interface) for processing. (Don't need an Analog Heat if you have a wall o' modular, right?)
InnnerSight
I sequence directly from my modular so I use the Erica Synth MIDI to Trigger module to provide a clock, or a funky clock if I want to output triggers from a midi track. Its simple but provides some cool sequence rhythms.
shellfritsch
looking for confirmation that folks have have success using DT midi usb out to a host module. i tried connecting it to a monome ansible module and an op-lab and neither would respond to incoming midi notes.

both of these hosts work fine with an op-1.

just to be sure i connected the DT to ableton via usb and midi was being transmitted.
thelizard
shellfritsch wrote:
looking for confirmation that folks have have success using DT midi usb out to a host module. i tried connecting it to a monome ansible module and an op-lab and neither would respond to incoming midi notes.

just to be sure i connected the DT to ableton via usb and midi was being transmitted.

Still waiting on mine to ship >_<

The only thing I could think of:
-Go to the Ports menu under Setup.
-Make sure OUTPUT TO is set to MIDI+USB (sounds like this is the case, though)
-Try turning off TURBO SPEED if it's on. My off-the-cuff guess it that it might confuse the Ansible when attempting to negotiate the Turbo request.
-Don't connect it to Ansible until those settings have been confirmed.

If that doesn't work, you could post on Lines and I'll bump it once I get mine.
shellfritsch
yeah i've tried all that with no luck. ansible responds fine to the op-1 so it must have something to do with the DT usb midi. i'll try routing midi din thru the op-lab for now
dmod
thelizard wrote:
I'm waiting for my Digitakt to ship. In the meantime, I picked up a CV OCD, which is a standalone $100 box that does midi-to-CV conversion:

I haven't used it yet, but it has extremely good feedback here in the General Gear section. Plus, it's low-cost and doesn't take up case space or power.
I like it! Thanks for the heads up on that unit.
d0ug6raham
I like the fh1 but it doesnt have the midi 5 pin, so i was looking into the befaco midi thing because it has a 5 pin in and is 6hp. Has anyone tested this module and set up?
behndy
thelizard wrote:
shellfritsch wrote:

Still waiting on mine to ship >_<

The only thing I could think of:
-Go to the Ports menu under Setup.
-Make sure OUTPUT TO is set to MIDI+USB (sounds like this is the case, though)
-Try turning off TURBO SPEED if it's on. My off-the-cuff guess it that it might confuse the Ansible when attempting to negotiate the Turbo request.
-Don't connect it to Ansible until those settings have been confirmed.

If that doesn't work, you could post on Lines and I'll bump it once I get mine.

i've only used my DT with a Shuttle Control, works flawlessly. sitting down today to work on more complex control thingers.
Multi Grooves
Sorry to piggy back this thread but I just want to ask:

Assuming you have a eurorack module that can take midi and derive a clk signal, so you're clocking from the digitakt.

And then say you have some tracks programmed on the Elektron box, am I right in guessing that unless you time the moment of pressing play, perfect, the modules being clocked (via midi) will be out of sync with the sounds programmed on the drum machine?

There is no way to force them to sync?
behndy
if you're playing samples with the top 8 pads then it's not going to send any MIDI, so no. won't sync with modular stuff. the bottom 8 send MIDI data.

but you could copy the pattern from whichever of the top 8 you're trying to sync to a MIDI pad abd then the modules should be receiving MIDI data at the same time the pad you copied from is triggering.

at least, i believe that would work.
novotnik
Multi Grooves wrote:

Assuming you have a eurorack module that can take midi and derive a clk signal, so you're clocking from the digitakt.

And then say you have some tracks programmed on the Elektron box, am I right in guessing that unless you time the moment of pressing play, perfect, the modules being clocked (via midi) will be out of sync with the sounds programmed on the drum machine?

i am not sure i understand the question, but : if you use one of digitakts midi tracks and send for example continuos 16th notes to your midi-to-cv module and take that as a master clock for your modular, then of course everything is in sync as long as the digitakt is running because midi and audio tracks on DT share the same timing of course...
neversleepforever
jambirn wrote:
Hi guys,
For those of you with the Digitakt, can you tell me how you've integrated it into your eurorack rig for performance purposes? I'd like to expand my drum palette with the Digitakt.
Thank you--
Jim

Currently hooked up a digitakt to yarns to metropolis to acid stepper, seems to be working fine.
Multi Grooves
novotnik wrote:
Multi Grooves wrote:

i am not sure i understand the question, but : if you use one of digitakts midi tracks and send for example continuos 16th notes to your midi-to-cv module and take that as a master clock for your modular, then of course everything is in sync as long as the digitakt is running because midi and audio tracks on DT share the same timing of course...

When I take the midi out from the Machine Drum, plug it into the ADDAC402 expander midi in, it generates a trigger out from the bpm on the Elektron. All good so far.
Problem arises when I press play on the Elektron; unless the timing is absolutely spot on, the sequenced beats there do not seem in time with trigger being generated on the ADDAC 402.

To make matters worse, the trigger [when plugged into a percussion sound] the tempo is fucked, like all over the place while the sequenced track on the machine drum is as expected. So there are two things: the seeming lack of sync and possibly ergo wonky trigger.

What I don't get, is assuming you had the digitakt with an internal bpm of 115 and you plugged it in to a midi to cv module [thus generating a trigger], BUT you had not pressed play on the transport control. If you then pressed play on the transport but out of sync with the generated trigger from the mdi to cv module, would the digital sound out of sync with the euro?

Hope this makes sense?
behndy
i sync by sending out the MIDI out from the Pam's New Workout expander into my DT. when i hit play on Pam's, my DT starts, stay in sync and on beat.
Tonemod
Digitakt USB out -> Endorphin.es Shuttle Control (host port)

Then I send a clock (PPQN) to Pam's New Workout and use the Digitakt transport controls.

With 16 configurable outs on the Shuttle Control and 8 on Pam's, the possibilities are thumbs up
bougie
got a little setup with the digitakt in a midi thru box into a pittsburgh midi2 and 0-coast, this gives me 3 CV-Gate channels to play with in eurorack + the 0-coast voice.

Wish it was a bit more focused (like using a single midi cable in a yarns/cv ocd) but it works for now.
behndy
Tonemod wrote:
Digitakt USB out -> Endorphin.es Shuttle Control (host port)

Then I send a clock (PPQN) to Pam's New Workout and use the Digitakt transport controls.

With 16 configurable outs on the Shuttle Control and 8 on Pam's, the possibilities are thumbs up

interessssting. i have them wired sort of the opposite, but same components? DT into Shuttle Control to send 16 cv outs, Pam's MIDI out into DT, hit play on Pam's and DT patterns start up.
Tonemod
behndy wrote:
interessssting. i have them wired sort of the opposite, but same components? DT into Shuttle Control to send 16 cv outs, Pam's MIDI out into DT, hit play on Pam's and DT patterns start up.

Yeah, I've thought about going that way too but I haven't added a Pexp-1 (not much room in my little case). Pam warns of an "unstable clock" depending on the shuttle firmware version. Pam might skip a beat here or there but I work around it.

I wonder if the din sync from digitakt to pam is more stable. Using one of the expert sleepers DJ-1200 (or homemade) cables is something I'd like to try.
teafela
Ive been using Digitakt w/ FH-1 as my core sequencer since the Digitakt came out (and the FH-1 firmware got sorted). Ive played a 2 shows with this rig so far...

I would definitely recommend this rig for sequencing percussion and most loopy house/techno things.

It is a programmer's machine. Expect to spend time arranging and preparing samples and kits beforehand. Internally, using anything new or changing things more significantly in a live situation can be quite challenging due to a lack of cue output and the lack of dedicated mixer controls.

If you happen to stray into live noodling/gridless territory, don't expect the digitakt to accurately record your midi performances. It is quite rigid. I find the pattern length limiting for melodic purposes. Trig conditions are fantastic, but I think your limited attention is better spent elsewhere when playing live. P-locking is great internaly, but I haven't had much success taking it into my modular.

Overall, The Digitakt is a fantastic drum sequencer and sampler. Its a fantastic value for the price and I consider it the most immediate of Elektron's workflows. Paired with an FH-1 it is a one stop shop for your drums.

Side note: This may be fixed soon but, the current firmware (1.04) often freezes and sometimes audibly clicks when Digitakt is a Midi slave (others have had this problem on the Digi fb group aswell). This has made me wary of using this machine in live situations.
Artaos
Has anyone considered getting a Polyend Poly midi-to-CV module to pair with their Digitakt? Since it offers 8 tracks of gate + 3 CVs per track, it could be the perfect module to bring the Digitakt 8-track MIDI sequencing into the modular. (It's not out yet as of now, however.)

http://polyend.com/poly/

[/list]
nihilicious
I don't know about pairing with the Digitakt, but I have the Poly -- it's been out for many months and is great.

Artaos wrote:
Has anyone considered getting a Polyend Poly midi-to-CV
module to pair with their Digitakt? Since it offers 8 tracks of gate + 3 CVs per track, it could be the perfect module to bring the Digitakt 8-track MIDI sequencing into the modular. (It's not out yet as of now, however.)

[/list]
Artaos
nihilicious wrote:
I don't know about pairing with the Digitakt, but I have the Poly -- it's been out for many months and is great.

Artaos wrote:
Has anyone considered getting a Polyend Poly midi-to-CV
module to pair with their Digitakt? Since it offers 8 tracks of gate + 3 CVs per track, it could be the perfect module to bring the Digitakt 8-track MIDI sequencing into the modular. (It's not out yet as of now, however.)

[/list]

Ah, that's good to know! I got confused because their website says it won't ship until next month. I guess they were out of stock for a while.
Funky40
Artaos wrote:
it could be the perfect module to bring the Digitakt 8-track MIDI sequencing into the modular.

]

from the description:
Quote:
or Notes C-G that are directed to corresponding CV voices.

this is a cool feature.
i found 4 CVs for drummodules sufficient for alots, but not everything.
Rings works great with 4 CVs. BI gladly eats up more......
But 4 such controlled modules do allready ALOTS. (who wants to control 8 ?)
beside that what i want to have, at first place, one or two voices to be fed with up to 8CVs...or more ! ( which is not as plenty as you might think when you p-lock from a Digitakt)

from the specs:
Quote:
8x Modulation (0-12V, selectable CC message 0-127 using DIP switch on the back panel)

DIP switches on the back to select my single choosable CC ?
dealbreaker for me. we have 2017. looks in the whole not thought out enough
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 2 of 6