MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Digitakt/Euro Integration
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Digitakt/Euro Integration
jambirn
Hi guys,
For those of you with the Digitakt, can you tell me how you've integrated it into your eurorack rig for performance purposes? I'd like to expand my drum palette with the Digitakt.
Thank you--
Jim
Alume
You could convert its midi sequencing to pitch, gate etc

Or you could convert midi messages to triggers to trigger drums and other nonsense.

Other than that it depends on your setup and what you'd like to use for, specifically.
Ceri JC
I have just bought an Intellijel MuMidi for this purpose. I will probably stick to using my Analogue 4's CV out for notes, but intend to use the Digitakt for transport (Run, Reset) and Clock duties.

I have one of the FX sends of my mixer (that the Digitakt goes into) rigged up to an input into the Eurorack, so I can also use Eurorack modules for an FX chain that puts the Digitakt's onboard effects to shame.

I will eventually build a Eurorack case for drums, but even then, my live setup will likely still use a Digitakt for triggering drums and samples. Small size/low cost/UI is very hard to beat.

Like Jambirn, I would be interested to hear how others are using theirs.
tauburn
I have digitakt connected to yarns so theres up to four tracks of cv and gate.
jimi23
I'm waiting on the Digitakt to come back into stock near me, but the plan is to use my Shuttle Control. 16 flexible CV outs, should be able to parameter lock control voltages, output drum triggers, cv/gate, envelopes, LFOs. Quantised and fluctuating random voltages. Looks like it has a built in arpeggiator now as well. All parameters are set by midi CCs so should interface nicely with the Digitakt
billyk419
Been thinking about getting a Digitakt for a while now. I'm planning on using my FH-1 and one or two of the FHX-1 expanders to get all kinds of MIDI info from the Digitakt into my case w00t
theflyingfridge
billyk419 wrote:
Been thinking about getting a Digitakt for a while now. I'm planning on using my FH-1 and one or two of the FHX-1 expanders to get all kinds of MIDI info from the Digitakt into my case w00t

I do this with my Octatrack. It's pretty mad what you can do with this combo...

Rockin' Banana!
billyk419
theflyingfridge wrote:

I do this with my Octatrack. It's pretty mad what you can do with this combo...

Rockin' Banana!

I got all kinds of ideas in my head but I'm sure it'll just explode when I actually get my hands on it nanners
jambirn
Hey Billy/Fridge or anyone else --- tell me, how would you use the FH-1 with the Digitakt or Octatrack? I'm interested in its onboard LFOs and etc...
Jim
billyk419
You could easily have all 8 channels of CV (with or without velocity and after touch), multiple ways of having LFO's and CC P-Locks, clock, etc...

Definitely not the easiest module to wrap your head around at first, but with some RTFM and experimentation, I haven't seen much that comes close to sending as much information.

These two charts are particularly helpful:

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1CCs.html

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1notes.html
limpmeat
I love the Vermona QMI with my OT.

4 voices of cv gate with 2 extra assignable cvs per voice. Also 3 different clock outs and a reset out.
adh82
Shuttle control hands down!
mattsb
Digitakt and some kind of "MIDI/CV" module are getting near the top of my shopping list so I am in the same boat. I have waffled back and forth between USB Midi (FH-1 being the leading contender in this category) and MIDI Classic (Yarns or Befaco's MIDI Thing being the contenders here). I had almost settled on classic MIDI for the sheer simplicity of the thing, but I am intrigued by "CC Plocks".

Could you expand on what that would enable ??

And does the Digitakt plug straight into the FH-1 or do I need some kind of iConnectivity box ?
thelizard
I'm waiting for my Digitakt to ship. In the meantime, I picked up a CV OCD, which is a standalone $100 box that does midi-to-CV conversion:
https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/cvocd-a-super-flexible-midi- to-cv-box/

I haven't used it yet, but it has extremely good feedback here in the General Gear section. Plus, it's low-cost and doesn't take up case space or power.
jtregoat
jimi23 wrote:
I'm waiting on the Digitakt to come back into stock near me, but the plan is to use my Shuttle Control. 16 flexible CV outs, should be able to parameter lock control voltages, output drum triggers, cv/gate, envelopes, LFOs. Quantised and fluctuating random voltages. Looks like it has a built in arpeggiator now as well. All parameters are set by midi CCs so should interface nicely with the Digitakt

Wait wait, I was looking at it online but didn't get this functionality... PLock CVs?!? that's wild. I have an LXR so was thinking that could clock both euro and digitakt.

the only thing holding me back is the fact that it only has one stereo pair out. I'm wondering - since I saw this was an overbridge feature - if there could be some sort of raspberry pi based breakout box to get individual outs.. just a thought I had!
jambirn
Can anyone explain what PLock CVs will do? What's that all about?
Jim
thelizard
jambirn wrote:
Jim

A PLock is a "Parameter Lock". On Elektron sequencers, you can hold down a trigger and turn a knob to change the parameter for that step only. Using the MIDI sequencers, you can P-Lock a CC value. You can also attach trig conditions (i.e. probability, fill mode, other logic) to create generative behavior.
mattsb
thelizard wrote:
jambirn wrote:
Jim

A PLock is a "Parameter Lock". On Elektron sequencers, you can hold down a trigger and turn a knob to change the parameter for that step only. Using the MIDI sequencers, you can P-Lock a CC value. You can also attach trig conditions (i.e. probability, fill mode, other logic) to create generative behavior.

And, using an FH-1 can I somehow map those CC values to a CV value out of one of the jacks ?
thelizard
mattsb wrote:
thelizard wrote:
jambirn wrote:
Jim

And, using an FH-1 can I somehow map those CC values to a CV value out of one of the jacks ?

I don't have an FH-1, so I couldn't tell you the exact steps... but yes, it's possible. The FH-1, Shuttle Control, Yarns, Ansible, and CV OCD can convert CC values to CV.
Paranormal Patroler
Don't listen to these people, join the dark side, get a CV-to-MIDI module (ADDAC221, ADDAC222, Doepfer a-192-1, Doepfer a-192-2, Ladik M218) and have your modular control the Digitakt! Darth Vader
thelizard
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Don't listen to these people, join the dark side, get a CV-to-MIDI module (ADDAC221, ADDAC222, Doepfer a-192-1, Doepfer a-192-2, Ladik M218) and have your modular control the Digitakt! Darth Vader

theflyingfridge
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

This is possible with the FH-1... at least clocking. The FH-1 can be clocked from a CV source in your modular and send it to its source. It can get pretty wild clocking the Octatrack with different divisions of a master clock. Sequencing gets bonkers, especially if you have wonky samples playing on the OT. Slow down, speed up, P-locks, sampling your modular through the OT and then resampling that.

The thing that I like about the FH-1 is that it has its own internal LFO's that you can drive with cc's. If you try to use the OT's LFO's with a cc to cv converter, you will likely hear some stepping.
latti
I use CV.OCD with my Digitakt and I have a 2-voice modular system. So I can set up track 9+10 with ch1&2 controlling my 2-voices. And the cool thing about this, at least according to me, is that you can set up track 11+12, 13+14, 15+16 with the same midi channels, setting up different patterns, and then you can mute/unmute between the different patterns. Allowing you to have multiple patterns, on the same pattern! Long sentence...

Really happy with this combination and it has opened up a lot of new possibilites for me smile
jtregoat
total hijack but related -

for those who want to integrate digitakt into your setup... i'm guessing you have a mixer and would like individual outs!

if you're a DIYer maybe you can help with a breakout box idea that I have:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185134&highlight=
shred
latti wrote:
I use CV.OCD with my Digitakt and I have a 2-voice modular system. So I can set up track 9+10 with ch1&2 controlling my 2-voices. And the cool thing about this, at least according to me, is that you can set up track 11+12, 13+14, 15+16 with the same midi channels, setting up different patterns, and then you can mute/unmute between the different patterns. Allowing you to have multiple patterns, on the same pattern! Long sentence...

Really happy with this combination and it has opened up a lot of new possibilites for me smile

wow great idea!
i keep thinking i want something in the rack but the cv.ocd is a lot of bang for buck
Funky40
thelizard wrote:
I picked up a CV OCD, which is a standalone $100 box that does midi-to-CV conversion:
https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/cvocd-a-super-flexible-midi- to-cv-box/

this box looks great. I was on the fence to get one.
.........just that it misses a Midi thru port. ( what a waist to not implement one )

i´ve used my FH-1 with the DT.
so far it "was" not possible to connect over DT USB out ( but Os sayed he will get a DT to look into this )(not shure if anything has changed allready)
used my FH-1 + 1x FH1-X so far only for test purposes to sequence some Drum modules. The conditional Triggs are awesome.

right now do i think i will get me a shuttle control vs. using my FH-1 "alone".
the FH-1 programming is not my thing, and *i think* it is quite limited in regards to do complex setups with running 2-3 expanders and "do everything in one".

so far i use my DT mainly with modular FX without any CV control
Thats also VERY great !

in fact is my DT sitting in a combined DT/Euro skiff. DT plus 6U Euro, octatrack width and a little (36cm)
tinkering right now another row euro on top of it to get 9U

thelizard
Funky40 wrote:
thelizard wrote:
I picked up a CV OCD, which is a standalone $100 box that does midi-to-CV conversion:

this box looks great. I was on the fence to get one.
.........just that it misses a Midi thru port. ( what a waist to not implement one )

Same seller has a $60 MIDI splitter/thru box:
https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/banana-split-6-way-midi-spli tterthru-box/

But yeah, then you have three boxes that need power!
suboptimal
A baby has interrupted my DT integration plans, but I'm going to control things via a Kilpatrick K1600. I've wired things up so a pair of aux sends on my main mixer will feed the DT inputs, so I can send whatever is worth sampling through that. Will probably also sometimes run the DT back to the modular (Intellijel Audio Interface) for processing. (Don't need an Analog Heat if you have a wall o' modular, right?)
InnnerSight
I sequence directly from my modular so I use the Erica Synth MIDI to Trigger module to provide a clock, or a funky clock if I want to output triggers from a midi track. Its simple but provides some cool sequence rhythms.
shellfritsch
looking for confirmation that folks have have success using DT midi usb out to a host module. i tried connecting it to a monome ansible module and an op-lab and neither would respond to incoming midi notes.

both of these hosts work fine with an op-1.

just to be sure i connected the DT to ableton via usb and midi was being transmitted.
thelizard
shellfritsch wrote:
looking for confirmation that folks have have success using DT midi usb out to a host module. i tried connecting it to a monome ansible module and an op-lab and neither would respond to incoming midi notes.

just to be sure i connected the DT to ableton via usb and midi was being transmitted.

Still waiting on mine to ship >_<

The only thing I could think of:
-Go to the Ports menu under Setup.
-Make sure OUTPUT TO is set to MIDI+USB (sounds like this is the case, though)
-Try turning off TURBO SPEED if it's on. My off-the-cuff guess it that it might confuse the Ansible when attempting to negotiate the Turbo request.
-Don't connect it to Ansible until those settings have been confirmed.

If that doesn't work, you could post on Lines and I'll bump it once I get mine.
shellfritsch
yeah i've tried all that with no luck. ansible responds fine to the op-1 so it must have something to do with the DT usb midi. i'll try routing midi din thru the op-lab for now
dmod
thelizard wrote:
I'm waiting for my Digitakt to ship. In the meantime, I picked up a CV OCD, which is a standalone $100 box that does midi-to-CV conversion:

I haven't used it yet, but it has extremely good feedback here in the General Gear section. Plus, it's low-cost and doesn't take up case space or power.
I like it! Thanks for the heads up on that unit.
d0ug6raham
I like the fh1 but it doesnt have the midi 5 pin, so i was looking into the befaco midi thing because it has a 5 pin in and is 6hp. Has anyone tested this module and set up?
behndy
thelizard wrote:
shellfritsch wrote:

Still waiting on mine to ship >_<

The only thing I could think of:
-Go to the Ports menu under Setup.
-Make sure OUTPUT TO is set to MIDI+USB (sounds like this is the case, though)
-Try turning off TURBO SPEED if it's on. My off-the-cuff guess it that it might confuse the Ansible when attempting to negotiate the Turbo request.
-Don't connect it to Ansible until those settings have been confirmed.

If that doesn't work, you could post on Lines and I'll bump it once I get mine.

i've only used my DT with a Shuttle Control, works flawlessly. sitting down today to work on more complex control thingers.
Multi Grooves
Sorry to piggy back this thread but I just want to ask:

Assuming you have a eurorack module that can take midi and derive a clk signal, so you're clocking from the digitakt.

And then say you have some tracks programmed on the Elektron box, am I right in guessing that unless you time the moment of pressing play, perfect, the modules being clocked (via midi) will be out of sync with the sounds programmed on the drum machine?

There is no way to force them to sync?
behndy
if you're playing samples with the top 8 pads then it's not going to send any MIDI, so no. won't sync with modular stuff. the bottom 8 send MIDI data.

but you could copy the pattern from whichever of the top 8 you're trying to sync to a MIDI pad abd then the modules should be receiving MIDI data at the same time the pad you copied from is triggering.

at least, i believe that would work.
novotnik
Multi Grooves wrote:

Assuming you have a eurorack module that can take midi and derive a clk signal, so you're clocking from the digitakt.

And then say you have some tracks programmed on the Elektron box, am I right in guessing that unless you time the moment of pressing play, perfect, the modules being clocked (via midi) will be out of sync with the sounds programmed on the drum machine?

i am not sure i understand the question, but : if you use one of digitakts midi tracks and send for example continuos 16th notes to your midi-to-cv module and take that as a master clock for your modular, then of course everything is in sync as long as the digitakt is running because midi and audio tracks on DT share the same timing of course...
neversleepforever
jambirn wrote:
Hi guys,
For those of you with the Digitakt, can you tell me how you've integrated it into your eurorack rig for performance purposes? I'd like to expand my drum palette with the Digitakt.
Thank you--
Jim

Currently hooked up a digitakt to yarns to metropolis to acid stepper, seems to be working fine.
Multi Grooves
novotnik wrote:
Multi Grooves wrote:

i am not sure i understand the question, but : if you use one of digitakts midi tracks and send for example continuos 16th notes to your midi-to-cv module and take that as a master clock for your modular, then of course everything is in sync as long as the digitakt is running because midi and audio tracks on DT share the same timing of course...

When I take the midi out from the Machine Drum, plug it into the ADDAC402 expander midi in, it generates a trigger out from the bpm on the Elektron. All good so far.
Problem arises when I press play on the Elektron; unless the timing is absolutely spot on, the sequenced beats there do not seem in time with trigger being generated on the ADDAC 402.

To make matters worse, the trigger [when plugged into a percussion sound] the tempo is fucked, like all over the place while the sequenced track on the machine drum is as expected. So there are two things: the seeming lack of sync and possibly ergo wonky trigger.

What I don't get, is assuming you had the digitakt with an internal bpm of 115 and you plugged it in to a midi to cv module [thus generating a trigger], BUT you had not pressed play on the transport control. If you then pressed play on the transport but out of sync with the generated trigger from the mdi to cv module, would the digital sound out of sync with the euro?

Hope this makes sense?
behndy
i sync by sending out the MIDI out from the Pam's New Workout expander into my DT. when i hit play on Pam's, my DT starts, stay in sync and on beat.
Tonemod
Digitakt USB out -> Endorphin.es Shuttle Control (host port)

Then I send a clock (PPQN) to Pam's New Workout and use the Digitakt transport controls.

With 16 configurable outs on the Shuttle Control and 8 on Pam's, the possibilities are thumbs up
bougie
got a little setup with the digitakt in a midi thru box into a pittsburgh midi2 and 0-coast, this gives me 3 CV-Gate channels to play with in eurorack + the 0-coast voice.

Wish it was a bit more focused (like using a single midi cable in a yarns/cv ocd) but it works for now.
behndy
Tonemod wrote:
Digitakt USB out -> Endorphin.es Shuttle Control (host port)

Then I send a clock (PPQN) to Pam's New Workout and use the Digitakt transport controls.

With 16 configurable outs on the Shuttle Control and 8 on Pam's, the possibilities are thumbs up

interessssting. i have them wired sort of the opposite, but same components? DT into Shuttle Control to send 16 cv outs, Pam's MIDI out into DT, hit play on Pam's and DT patterns start up.
Tonemod
behndy wrote:
interessssting. i have them wired sort of the opposite, but same components? DT into Shuttle Control to send 16 cv outs, Pam's MIDI out into DT, hit play on Pam's and DT patterns start up.

Yeah, I've thought about going that way too but I haven't added a Pexp-1 (not much room in my little case). Pam warns of an "unstable clock" depending on the shuttle firmware version. Pam might skip a beat here or there but I work around it.

I wonder if the din sync from digitakt to pam is more stable. Using one of the expert sleepers DJ-1200 (or homemade) cables is something I'd like to try.
teafela
Ive been using Digitakt w/ FH-1 as my core sequencer since the Digitakt came out (and the FH-1 firmware got sorted). Ive played a 2 shows with this rig so far...

I would definitely recommend this rig for sequencing percussion and most loopy house/techno things.

It is a programmer's machine. Expect to spend time arranging and preparing samples and kits beforehand. Internally, using anything new or changing things more significantly in a live situation can be quite challenging due to a lack of cue output and the lack of dedicated mixer controls.

If you happen to stray into live noodling/gridless territory, don't expect the digitakt to accurately record your midi performances. It is quite rigid. I find the pattern length limiting for melodic purposes. Trig conditions are fantastic, but I think your limited attention is better spent elsewhere when playing live. P-locking is great internaly, but I haven't had much success taking it into my modular.

Overall, The Digitakt is a fantastic drum sequencer and sampler. Its a fantastic value for the price and I consider it the most immediate of Elektron's workflows. Paired with an FH-1 it is a one stop shop for your drums.

Side note: This may be fixed soon but, the current firmware (1.04) often freezes and sometimes audibly clicks when Digitakt is a Midi slave (others have had this problem on the Digi fb group aswell). This has made me wary of using this machine in live situations.
Artaos
Has anyone considered getting a Polyend Poly midi-to-CV module to pair with their Digitakt? Since it offers 8 tracks of gate + 3 CVs per track, it could be the perfect module to bring the Digitakt 8-track MIDI sequencing into the modular. (It's not out yet as of now, however.)

http://polyend.com/poly/

[/list]
nihilicious
I don't know about pairing with the Digitakt, but I have the Poly -- it's been out for many months and is great.

Artaos wrote:
Has anyone considered getting a Polyend Poly midi-to-CV
module to pair with their Digitakt? Since it offers 8 tracks of gate + 3 CVs per track, it could be the perfect module to bring the Digitakt 8-track MIDI sequencing into the modular. (It's not out yet as of now, however.)

[/list]
Artaos
nihilicious wrote:
I don't know about pairing with the Digitakt, but I have the Poly -- it's been out for many months and is great.

Artaos wrote:
Has anyone considered getting a Polyend Poly midi-to-CV
module to pair with their Digitakt? Since it offers 8 tracks of gate + 3 CVs per track, it could be the perfect module to bring the Digitakt 8-track MIDI sequencing into the modular. (It's not out yet as of now, however.)

[/list]

Ah, that's good to know! I got confused because their website says it won't ship until next month. I guess they were out of stock for a while.
Funky40
Artaos wrote:
it could be the perfect module to bring the Digitakt 8-track MIDI sequencing into the modular.

]

from the description:
Quote:
or Notes C-G that are directed to corresponding CV voices.

this is a cool feature.
i found 4 CVs for drummodules sufficient for alots, but not everything.
Rings works great with 4 CVs. BI gladly eats up more......
But 4 such controlled modules do allready ALOTS. (who wants to control 8 ?)
beside that what i want to have, at first place, one or two voices to be fed with up to 8CVs...or more ! ( which is not as plenty as you might think when you p-lock from a Digitakt)

from the specs:
Quote:
8x Modulation (0-12V, selectable CC message 0-127 using DIP switch on the back panel)

DIP switches on the back to select my single choosable CC ?
dealbreaker for me. we have 2017. looks in the whole not thought out enough
Artaos
What are you all using to sync your modular to the Digitakt? I'm wondering if the Expert Sleepers FH1 would be a good choice for doing that.
Unifono0815
thelizard wrote:

Anyone knows if this box would also work nicely for midi lfo's?
Because I read lfo's work well via Shuttle control or FH1. But this standalone box would be great for me..
I assume not, because cv outputs only have 0-8V...
benadryl
Does anyone have any experience using digitakt to clock a eurorack system using the Doepfer A-190-8? I can't get my A-190-8 to receive a signal from my Digitakt and I believe that I have all of the settings correct. (Clock send is on and MIDI Thru port is set to DIN Sync 48)

I just got my digitakt and was really excited to use it in conjunction with my modular. I got the A-190-8 a while ago in anticipation of the digitakt too but I can't seem to get it working. very frustrating
benadryl
MIDI Settings are:

Clock Receive off, Clock send on, Prog CH recieve off, Prog CH Send on and Thru Port function is DIN48, which is the port I am trying to use to sync.
Artaos
benadryl wrote:
Does anyone have any experience using digitakt to clock a eurorack system using the Doepfer A-190-8? I can't get my A-190-8 to receive a signal from my Digitakt and I believe that I have all of the settings correct. (Clock send is on and MIDI Thru port is set to DIN Sync 48)

I just got my digitakt and was really excited to use it in conjunction with my modular. I got the A-190-8 a while ago in anticipation of the digitakt too but I can't seem to get it working. very frustrating

I believe you need to set the Digitakt's port to MIDI, not din sync, since you are trying to send the MIDI clock to the A-190-8. Din sync is different than MIDI.
LostForWords
I'm using MI Yarns and Befaco Midi Thing for the full 8 Digitakt MIDI channels into Eurorack smile

Yarns "outs" all MIDI channels it's not currently responding to so I have a permanent loop to the Midi Thing.

I use the Midi Thing for channels 1-4 as it's much easier to set the channels on the Yarns, which receives 5-8. (and they're labeled as such on the MT)

Midi Thing also has a dedicated Clock and Start/Stop CV output which is incredibly useful.

(btw these two midi->cv modules together cost nearly as much as the Digitakt but what can you do seriously, i just don't get it )

benadryl
Ah awesome! I hooked the cable up to MIDI out instead of Thru and set it to clock instead of DIN Sync and now it works fine!

Thanks for the help! we're not worthy
Brooks
limpmeat wrote:
I love the Vermona QMI with my OT.

4 voices of cv gate with 2 extra assignable cvs per voice. Also 3 different clock outs and a reset out.

I second this. Been using this same set up and am happy.
midirobot
using fh-1 with digitakt,great !!

first you can make custom setup for your needs,all out are configurable via the editor ( seems complicated but it's not at the end..) and also the great options to choose the voltage range of every out via jumpers,so handy.
having lfo on each direct cc out is wow ! you can have different lfo parameters (shape,clk div,offset,smoothing..) by pattern,so modulation pattern : )
also parameter locks cc is cool.i have to try the arp,'cause digitakt miss one.
Artaos
midirobot wrote:
using fh-1 with digitakt,great !!

first you can make custom setup for your needs,all out are configurable via the editor ( seems complicated but it's not at the end..) and also the great options to choose the voltage range of every out via jumpers,so handy.

That's good to hear! I ordered an FH-1 to pair with my Digitakt yesterday smile
Artaos
EDIT: for some reason it seems to be working now very frustrating

I just got the FH-1 and I can't seem to be able to sync it with the Digitakt.

Ideally I would like the FH-1 to send midi clock to the Digitakt (internal FH-1 clock or external clock sent to the FH-1's X input).

The settings I tried and which did not work:

- FH-1 send midi clock = 1
- Digitakt receive clock = true
- Digitakt send clock = false
- Digitakt input from = USB

What am I doing wrong? (using the FH-1 firmware v2.0)
mildheadwound
I would try it the other way; you are trying to set it up to send the clock to the digitakt while it sends midi data back. It should work if you use the digitakt as master clock.
itsritual
Euro-Mideco! Converts midi signal to 24 gate output. Might not be as effective with the Digitakts mono sequencer but still insanely useful.
Tumulishroomaroom
I'm just clocking the Digitakt with the Pamela's Workout Pexp 1 Expander and it is very tight. Perfect. I haven't felt the need to bring midi in my modular; I'd rather have separate instruments for now (in sync though !)
Catchthehare
Here is a little ambient jam with digitakt / euro. DT provides 2x sequences via CVOCD, granular pads, kicks, and some random samples. The rest is the rack doing it's thing. This the first patch I've tried with the DT, and have had it running the past week or so.. ready to pull the cables and really start something. Enjoy
mikmanner
I've been using the Digitakt with the Eurorack this weekend using the Expert Sleepers FH-1 module. Cheesy video I made for my mate (who hates that seismic charge sound):

My routing is:

Focusrite Midi out > Digitakt Midi in
Digitakt Midi A Out > Poly synth
Polysynth Midi Thru > Midi to USB box > FH-1
Digitakt Midi B Out > Drum Brute

I have one midi channel on the Digitakt sending a message every step which is going into a Pamela's New Workout to clock everything.

Finally everything I have is now sync'd to my DAW for easy editing. Now it's time to practice hard until I get something that sounds okay out of it haha.
Dogma
Hey guys - I just picked up a digitakt and I'm wondering which way to swing here....imwas about to pull the trigger (ahem) on the cv.ocd but 0-5v gates ain't gonna cut it
So FH-1 (which I need a iconnect midi thingy), the polyend http://polyend.com/poly/, or the endorphins unless someone else has a suggestion?
Dark Barn
I think the Endorphin.es SC gates are 0-5v also.
ipassenger
Dogma wrote:
Hey guys - I just picked up a digitakt and I'm wondering which way to swing here....imwas about to pull the trigger (ahem) on the cv.ocd but 0-5v gates ain't gonna cut it
So FH-1 (which I need a iconnect midi thingy), the polyend http://polyend.com/poly/, or the endorphins unless someone else has a suggestion?

Don't think you need iconnect, can just use a usb cable from digitakt to dh1... or so I have gathered, not got one yet but thinking about it.
Artaos
ipassenger wrote:
Dogma wrote:

Don't think you need iconnect, can just use a usb cable from digitakt to dh1... or so I have gathered, not got one yet but thinking about it.

Correct, no need for anything special, you can connect Digitakt to FH-1 using the USB cable that came with the DT. FH-1 + DT has been working great for me.
Dogma
itsritual wrote:
Euro-Mideco! Converts midi signal to 24 gate output. Might not be as effective with the Digitakts mono sequencer but still insanely useful.

Wow that's a love of cv for very little money....might check it out as a backup

Looks like the fh-1 might be the go here though the cv.ocd is still appealing (surprised they all seem to be 0-5v gates....)
loowfizzz
I have running 4 CV/Gate Pairs, different synchronized clock´s and LFO´s with the endorphines shuttle control. Just plug the USB-Cable from the DT to the shuttle control and it just works.
Tumulishroomaroom
I'm looking into this as well. I've been happy with sequencing the modular within the modular for quite a while now, but after a couple months with the Digitakt I can't help but wonder how this wonderful sequencer would do to sequence my two voices (only have a 6u).

Shuttle control seems like the most pain free module but it seems a bit overkill in my case. I have plenty of modulation available so I'm only planning on using 2 or 3 sets of CV/gate to sequence "techno loopy things" on my Loquelic and Cursus Iteritas. Also, my 6u is full, so any amount of hp in is the same amount of hp out. I can spare the Pamela expander (and maybe another bit&bob) so the Digitakt will now clock the modular instead of Pamela clocking the Digitakt like I have it set up now. In other words I need a module with clock out as well. I would have up to 8hp free.

Befaco midi thing seems my best best so far or maybe the Erica Black midi v2 but maybe this one is more aimed at keyboards than sequencers ?

Cv.OCD doesn't appeal to me that much, I'd rather not have another box on my tiny desk, so in rack is preferred.

Edit : I should add that I've stayed clear of anything midi (apart from simple clock) so far as it seemed quite a pain to set up and prone to sucking time otherwise spent making music; but I'm willing to try to get the most out of the Digitakt and my modular !
Artaos
I just bought a Doepfer A-192-1 (CV to MIDI module, not MIDI to CV) to control my Digitakt using CV and it seems very powerful so far. It provides 16 CV inputs and you can have gates triggering samples, pitch CV, CV control over sample slot and decay envelope, etc. This setup even allows CV control over the Digitakt's currently playing pattern! It's not the easiest thing to set up (needs custom configuration mapping), but I think it's going to be bonkers.
subLimb
Modular newbie here...What would be the disadvantage of 0-5v gates on the CV.OCD?
So I just picked up a Digitakt. If my goal was to just use the Digitakt midi channels as note sequencers only... which module should I be looking at that will convert the 8 midi channels to sequencer data in my modular? modulation and other stuff is covered already, so i really only need note and gate(note on/off) data. is there anything simple that can do this? i read over the manual for the shuttle control... hmmm.....

looks like the befaco midithing would be the way to go here for simplicity. could i get two of those and have channel 1-4 go to one, and channel 5-8 go to the other one?

midi is kinda like spanish for me. i know enough that if i got lost in mexico, i could probably find my way back to the us well enough, but holding an actual conversation with a native speaker isn't going to happen. i need a midi to cv converter 'for dummies' basically. smile
behndy
the Endorphin.es Shuttle Control is POWERFUL and simple as butts.

just plug into it, launch the Web App that is really well designed, assign what you want each CV to do.

and you can save a bunch of different profiles, so you can have a main one where the 16 outs are paired 8 gate/pitch outs, or get WEIRD with it, then pop back to the Old Reliable super easily.

love it.
drowld
behndy wrote:

just plug into it, launch the Web App that is really well designed, assign what you want each CV to do.

and you can save a bunch of different profiles, so you can have a main one where the 16 outs are paired 8 gate/pitch outs, or get WEIRD with it, then pop back to the Old Reliable super easily.

love it.

Can iuse it to be a 4 voice and 8 additional whatever i want so i can plock from digitakt ?
Wick
drowld wrote:
behndy wrote:

love it.

Can iuse it to be a 4 voice and 8 additional whatever i want so i can plock from digitakt ?

thats a good question i would like to know also
behndy
you can definitely set 4 or the outs to be different notes at a time, but it would take up a MIDI track per note if you want to do chords.

sorry if i'm misunderstanding the question.
drowld
Yes so i've looked a bit and apparently what i was asking is doable. I can have output 1-8 handling 4 channel of cv&gate and having 9-16 used for whatever cc i want to send with the digitakt to euro.

I'm buying one yeeehhh
Funky40
the shuttle control has 16 CV outs,
and ALL of them are totally freely to set what they should send out.
( within the reasons of the sowtware which allows for ALOTS )

To my knowledge is the shuttle control so far the only midi2Cv module that is totally free programmable.

The FH-1 is to my knowledge not.
exactly above asked scenario for example would not work on the FH-1 *to my knowledge*
Funky40
please, anybody interested in a bigger Shuttle Control,
send Andreas from endorphin.es a module request !!

can´t be it to buy two shuttle controls.
first the money, second the hassle with the connections, .....to Editor and also to DT/serquenzing box

i´d say, the market is here !
and who is the first to serve is the first to sell......
Wick
Funky40 wrote:
please, anybody interested in a bigger Shuttle Control,
send Andreas from endorphin.es a module request !!

can´t be it to buy two shuttle controls.
first the money, second the hassle with the connections, .....to Editor and also to DT/serquenzing box

i´d say, the market is here !
and who is the first to serve is the first to sell......

a bigger shuttle control would be a great idea. that way endorphines can eliminate the power supply side of the module
behndy
i believe they pop into this thread sometimes -

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137847

and i've chatted through IG and email, super friendly and helpful folks.
mattsb
drowld wrote:
I can have output 1-8 handling 4 channel of cv&gate and having 9-16 used for whatever cc i want to send with the digitakt to euro.

An FH-1 + Expander can do this no problem. Did it yesterday.
PM33AUD
2x FH-1 and 2x FHX-1 for us... for a dual OT rig. Of course MIDI is a really outdated, jittery, slow mess but we had sub 10ms overall latency between the two rigs with our 'worst-case' test running 16 MIDI tracks, a few Plock'd CCs for 'CV recorders', etc.

Also, for those interested, I have a guide for some scripting for the FH-1 that might be of use here The ES stuff is great but because they are extremely powerful units - pretty much all of his stuff is - there is a steep learning curve.

I think we've pushed how far you can realistically go with MIDI sequencing from the OT. It's doable, but you'll need to spend some time figuring out a decent clocking and MIDI routing scheme when you care about accurate (enough) clocking, jitter, or latency between your instrument events.

Also, keep in mind that the many internal LFOs of the FH-1 mean you don't have to send continuous LFO MIDI CCs out from the OT or DT which will save lots of MIDI messages from being sent. Same for PB (we just use legato glides). You then use the OT/DT parameter pages to 'set up' the FH-1's internal LFOs and glide times, etc. The FH-1 smoothing and ability to 'add' waveforms, random, etc. gives you a very powerful modulation source. It's rather powerful and this was the only way we could keep the latency down low enough. MIDI is SLOOOW. We were actually to the point we were using the CUE outputs as triggers for some of the drums to keep the MIDI timing errors within reason.
drowld
PM33AUD wrote:
2x FH-1 and 2x FHX-1 for us... for a dual OT rig. Of course MIDI is a really outdated, jittery, slow mess but we had sub 10ms overall latency between the two rigs with our 'worst-case' test running 16 MIDI tracks, a few Plock'd CCs for 'CV recorders', etc.

It's nice and 10ms is workable latency.
The shuttle control looks easier to handle with the desktop app and more output by default/more expensive but it's just not expandable and to my taste ugly. The fact that you can connect 2 source also is really nice

1xFH-1+1xFHX-1 gives 16 output its pretty neat and cheaper than shuttle control

I could get 2 and be set for 24 output which is a lot.

Btw it has nothing to do with the module directly but i'm using es-3/es-6 to control with Ableton and i think silent way kinda sucks.. But it's the daw environment which is hard to work with. But the plugins could be better laid out. It's just not that easy to control euro with the modules than it seems to be with the fh-1
Buttons ARE toys
latti wrote:

I thought I read somewhere a while back that the CV.OCD fits into a 1u rack space, but now I'm not finding that anywhere. Can you confirm if that's accurate?
Funky40
drowld wrote:

mattsb wrote:
drowld wrote:
I can have output 1-8 handling 4 channel of cv&gate and having 9-16 used for whatever cc i want to send with the digitakt to euro.

An FH-1 + Expander can do this no problem. Did it yesterday.

check the different phrasing. i had the above one in mind with my Re.

additional CC vs. additional whatever.
makes a difference that people should be aware.
*as far i understand* , and i would say that was IIRC stated this way by OS himself,
can´t you for example use the additional ones in aboves 4 (minimal-) voice szenario as drumtriggers, triggered from one midi channel by different notes.
( the FH-1 basic (IIRC) midi CH 12 szenario )
the FH-1 is NOT fully flexible. i have one myself and asked these things.......bevore i went ahead and bought a SC vs. more expanders for the FH-1.
*...but i could be wrong. So if anybody can prove or deny what i´m saying would it be very welcome.

not nitpicking here. but i know how hard it is to buy the wrong one respectivly to buy twice.
it was btw. OS who gave Endorhin.es a hand to make the SC work with the USB port on the digitakt ( by my request)
both are very Great Guys !
spinalbeatz
BUMP! I'm looking for some advice. Looking to pick up a MIDI module that will help me with my PNW, Digitakt & Ableton combo.

To start, I want Ableton transport to control the Digitakt since I use Ableton to record. Currently doing this by having the Digitakt hooked up to my computer via USB. So I assume this eliminates being able to use the ES FH1 confused

I'd like to run the Digitakt MIDI out into a module that will allow me to Clock/Run Pamela's New Workout AND give me multiple channels of CV.

Any recommendations? Befaco MIDI thing seems like the perfect option but I'm unable to build one myself and finding an assembled model seems to be expensive. I was looking at Yarns as well but if I wanted MIDI clock/run it looks like I'd only be able to use 2 MIDI/CV channels...
fjoesz
I'm using shuttle control with digitakt and protools
protools sends a clock or even midi to shutle control
shuttle control passes clock and start/stop through to digitakt
digitakt sends midi to shuttle control
all works fine
and then you have still one more usb left to charge your phone or something grin
budinis
maybe this gear/module is the perfect partner for digitakt integrating in modular?! --> http://www.edv-technik-ts.de/index.html

I don't own the MUC nor the Digitakt but thinking about getting both!!!
spinalbeatz
Can someone explain to me how the Expert Sleepers FH-1 connects to the Digitakt? Do I need some sort of USB / MIDI box or does the Digitakt go straight into the FH-1 via USB?
Artaos
spinalbeatz wrote:
Can someone explain to me how the Expert Sleepers FH-1 connects to the Digitakt? Do I need some sort of USB / MIDI box or does the Digitakt go straight into the FH-1 via USB?

You can use the USB cable that comes with the Digitakt. Just plug in the Digitakt to the FH-1 USB input and you are good to go.
Artaos
spinalbeatz wrote:
BUMP! I'm looking for some advice. Looking to pick up a MIDI module that will help me with my PNW, Digitakt & Ableton combo.

To start, I want Ableton transport to control the Digitakt since I use Ableton to record. Currently doing this by having the Digitakt hooked up to my computer via USB. So I assume this eliminates being able to use the ES FH1 confused

I'd like to run the Digitakt MIDI out into a module that will allow me to Clock/Run Pamela's New Workout AND give me multiple channels of CV.

Any recommendations? Befaco MIDI thing seems like the perfect option but I'm unable to build one myself and finding an assembled model seems to be expensive. I was looking at Yarns as well but if I wanted MIDI clock/run it looks like I'd only be able to use 2 MIDI/CV channels...

I have a Digitakt, which clocks Pamela's NW using Din Sync (just need a midi cable and a midi->din sync adapter cable), and which also connects to a Befaco Midi Thing for sequencing. (I don't use the clock outputs of the Midi Thing with this setup.)
Funky40
budinis wrote:
maybe this gear/module is the perfect partner for digitakt integrating in modular?! --> http://www.edv-technik-ts.de/index.html

I don't own the MUC nor the Digitakt but thinking about getting both!!!

i heard only good things about this device. though the older one.
the new unit is even more capable.

would be my choice right now for a unit for din-midi connection ( vs. USB )
nolongerhuman
I've worked a Digitakt into my set up and have it working pretty well via an Intellijel uMidi, but I am wondering how to handle the fact that the Digitakt always sends clock, even when stopped.

There doesn't seem to be a practical way to pause a patch or stop it without unpatching. It may be something I'm missing, I'm definitely not experienced with external sequencers.
p@@@nts
nolongerhuman wrote:
I've worked a Digitakt into my set up and have it working pretty well via an Intellijel uMidi, but I am wondering how to handle the fact that the Digitakt always sends clock, even when stopped.

There doesn't seem to be a practical way to pause a patch or stop it without unpatching. It may be something I'm missing, I'm definitely not experienced with external sequencers.

I think there’s a uMidi firmware update on the Intellijel website that fixes that issue.
nolongerhuman
p@@@nts wrote:

I think there’s a uMidi firmware update on the Intellijel website that fixes that issue.

I'll be damned, there is.

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed.
ablearcher
So I picked up a Digitakt to pair with my euro rig mostly because I wanted a flexible sequencer that could do rolls, triplets, etc which I saw that the Digitakt can do.

Turns out it can only do that (what it calls retrig) on internal audio tracks, not on midi tracks. Dead Banana

So yeah, if you are planning on sequencing a eurorack drum rig with a digitakt, just be aware it doesn't have that function. Once I searched for it it seems to be a common feature request so maybe it will get future implementation...... Dead Banana
Hezza11
ablearcher wrote:
So I picked up a Digitakt to pair with my euro rig mostly because I wanted a flexible sequencer that could do rolls, triplets, etc which I saw that the Digitakt can do.

Turns out it can only do that (what it calls retrig) on internal audio tracks, not on midi tracks. Dead Banana

So yeah, if you are planning on sequencing a eurorack drum rig with a digitakt, just be aware it doesn't have that function. Once I searched for it it seems to be a common feature request so maybe it will get future implementation...... Dead Banana

Yeah I was disappointed when I found this out. Email elektron for a feature request and cross your fingers
worra
Bump!

Just picked up a Yarns and I'm hating how the works w/ the Digitakt so far. I'm just trying to use the 1M setting on Yarns and it seems like Yarns doesn't want to output the clock from the DT unless the Yarns seq is running? I don't want to use the Yarns seq at all. Once I got that going, it seemed like pitch CV wasn't working while the seq was running because it was playing back the sequence (that I had programmed w/ all rests). Is there a way to get what I want here or should I just give up and get an Intellijel uMidi or Shuttle Control?

Yarns really feels more like it was made to work with keyboards, not sequencers....
midirobot
have a look if internal seq is still active,i think that the source of your problem
Jaypee
I need a solid machine for my drums. (Too pricey and would take too much space in eurorack format).

I send my modular system via an ES-3. Sending a clock and reset. Works great. Timing is perfect.

What is the best way to sync DT? Sending a clock from my DAW to the DT? Via USB? Or midi clock (not sure about this option though! smile )

Will youtube if anyone did a tutorial or something like this

Cheers!
Tumulishroomaroom
I clock mine from Pamela's workout midi expander and it is tight tight tight.
zanscath
FH-2 will probably be awesome for this.
docsample
Hi, for feeding the Eurorack output back to the Digitakt, I assume an output module is required to bring the levels down? Or can the Digitakt receive Eurorack audio levels?
docsample
bump
mattsb
i have recorded Rings, through a Mutamix, directly into the DT. No problems at all.
docsample
zanscath wrote:

the editor looks a lot more complex than shuttle control. more features, but more complex. will wait and see
Tonemod
docsample wrote:
zanscath wrote:

the editor looks a lot more complex than shuttle control. more features, but more complex. will wait and see

They're both pretty complex and have some distinct features.

I've spent a lot of time with SC + DT, and Pam's new workout. The SC's ability to do envelopes [CC 73 (attack) and CC 72 (decay)] and not just trigger/gates has become indespensible in my setup. The SC + DT combo replaces a lot of modues, but I might be overloading the MIDI stream because I get some clock instability when sending some MIDI parameters to SC.

The internal (CVable) clock, internal CC adjustable LFOs, and 0-10v capability on the FH-2 are very tempting. Not to mention the standard left to right signal flow...
spinalbeatz
Is anyone using the CV.OCD with a Digitakt that wouldn't mind sharing their Sysex configuration settings?
Sinamsis
I've been using 3 Shuttle Controls (crazy, I know) with my DT. However, for those who want to go ape shit with the SC and DT, I would mention that I experienced some dropped notes when flooding the SCs with MIDI data (even with two SCs, not 3). I talked to the good folks at Endorphin.es and they're working on it. By using a MIDI to USB converter cable, and using triggers instead of gates I was able to get rid of most if not all dropped notes. But not having gates is a little annoying.
SCOOBA_TANK
Hey y’all! I’m wondering if anyone has used the Hexinverter Mutant Brain with the DT yet? I got mine the other day and finally got it set up with my system. The only problem is that it continuously sends the DT clock whether the DT is running or not. Anyone know how I can get it to start and stop sending clock when I hit play and stop on the DT? Thanks!
mildheadwound
All the Elektron boxes spit midi clock, regardless if they are running or not. It's quite annoying, but it does reset/sync itself when you hit play again.

Also, for that other comment above a few, asking about triplets , etc, you can still add multipliers to tracks, as say 3x faster etc. Then just make the midi channel the same as you drum track, so you can bring it in and out as a 'fill'. You can even use the, 'fill', conditional trigs.
SCOOBA_TANK
mildheadwound wrote:
All the Elektron boxes spit midi clock, regardless if they are running or not. It's quite annoying, but it does reset/sync itself when you hit play again..

ahhh. gotcha. that would make sense to why I've got no idea how to figure this out. d'oh!

Ok. It looks like I may go down the Pam's clocks EVERYTHING route.
SCOOBA_TANK
ok. I feel like a total goon. I am having a heard time figuring out the signal chain from Pam's to the DT. Can anyone help? I am assuming that I'll need to buy the Pexp-1, but after that I'm a bit lost. I just want to make sure that I am purchasing the right stuff and understand how to set this up.

H E L P M E P L E A S E ! ! !

seriously, i just don't get it

Thanks in advance!
MossGarden
Just to chime in, I’m intergrating a digitone currently, i’m using pams as a master clock, sending midi clock to digitone via expander, then midi out of digitone to yarns in 4m mode. It’s been tight as hell and integrating 4 channels of FM goodness is great fun. Dead Banana
SCOOBA_TANK
MossGarden wrote:
Just to chime in, I’m intergrating a digitone currently, i’m using pams as a master clock, sending midi clock to digitone via expander, then midi out of digitone to yarns in 4m mode. It’s been tight as hell and integrating 4 channels of FM goodness is great fun. Dead Banana

That’s awesome! Which expander are you using?

I’ve got both the digitakt and digitone. So I’m hoping to have Pam’s clock those, while then sending midi out to mutant brain to control EVERYTHING!
Rafi
Check out BoBeats mutant brain video on youtube SCOOBA_TANK
SCOOBA_TANK
Rafi wrote:
Check out BoBeats mutant brain video on youtube SCOOBA_TANK

Yeah. I’ve watched that. It’s helpful in terms of understanding how the DT connects to the MB and what the MB does. I totally understand that. What I’m trying to sort through is how to get everything synced together and stopping and starting when I hit run. So far, the best solution is that Pam’s is the master clock and runs the show.
LongLostDonut
SCOOBA_TANK wrote:
ok. I feel like a total goon. I am having a heard time figuring out the signal chain from Pam's to the DT. Can anyone help? I am assuming that I'll need to buy the Pexp-1, but after that I'm a bit lost. I just want to make sure that I am purchasing the right stuff and understand how to set this up.

Thanks in advance!

If you are just looking to clock DT from PNW, then you just need to do the following:

1) Connect midi out from PNW breakout (I use the PEXP-2 but it will be the same for PEXP-1) to the Digitakt Midi In
2) Make sure Digitakt is set to receive Clock Receive (p.55 in the manual)
3) Press Start on PNW

I then have the midi out of Digitakt plugged into CVOCD to control modules with CV. I mostly use paired up outputs A-B and C-D used to send note & envelope cv to two diff modules. Note info is easy to output and to do envelopes:

1) Set digitakt midi track to the relevant midi channel
2) On Filter page, turn on at filter #1, but don't turn it up
3) On Source page, set #1 to the correct CV (mapped via CVOCD config tool)
4) On LFO page, set up the following:
- Dest: The CV Val 1
- Wave: Exponential
- SPH: 0
- Mode: HLF
- Dep: Max
- Spd & Mult: Whatever you want for your envelope time
SCOOBA_TANK
LongLostDonut wrote:
SCOOBA_TANK wrote:

Thanks in advance!

If you are just looking to clock DT from PNW, then you just need to do the following:

1) Connect midi out from PNW breakout (I use the PEXP-2 but it will be the same for PEXP-1) to the Digitakt Midi In
2) Make sure Digitakt is set to receive Clock Receive (p.55 in the manual)
3) Press Start on PNW

I then have the midi out of Digitakt plugged into CVOCD to control modules with CV. I mostly use paired up outputs A-B and C-D used to send note & envelope cv to two diff modules. Note info is easy to output and to do envelopes:

1) Set digitakt midi track to the relevant midi channel
2) On Filter page, turn on at filter #1, but don't turn it up
3) On Source page, set #1 to the correct CV (mapped via CVOCD config tool)
4) On LFO page, set up the following:
- Dest: The CV Val 1
- Wave: Exponential
- SPH: 0
- Mode: HLF
- Dep: Max
- Spd & Mult: Whatever you want for your envelope time

HOT DAMN!!!! THANK YOU!!! This is exactly what I needed.
LongLostDonut
SCOOBA_TANK wrote:

HOT DAMN!!!! THANK YOU!!! This is exactly what I needed.

No worries - someone else asked for the Sysex set up for CVOCD - attached is what I use in conjunction with the instructions above.

Setup:
- A & B mapped to midi channel 1, with B set to CC2
- C & D mapped to midi channel 2, with D set to CC2

- 1 & 2 are mapped to midi channel 1, set to send gate and trigger respectively. This is useful if you want to use a modular envelope instead of the Digitakt... or maybe want to send a crazy clock based on a programmed track.
- 3 & 4 the same as 1 & 2, except for midi channel 2

- 5-12 are all set to output clocks of various divisions. I find these aren't 100% stable when you are clocking PNW -> Digitakt -> CVOCD -> Modular but they're very handy to have around for non-essential clocking duties.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 5