MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

5u and creative selling..?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author 5u and creative selling..?
josaka
this is not aimed at anyone in particular.. just 5u generally...
the lack of any sort of imagery or imaginative advertising of any sort does 5u no favours in my eyes ..
5u manufacturers are complaining about lack of sales..
its a solid product but its easy to see why its tough... for me part of it is the lack of romancing.. pizazz.. imagination.. magic.. call it what you want..

its not like magazines or youtubers are banging the door down to review obscure 5u or even non obscure 5u.. 5u needs to create its own own buzz make it something people want ..

doesn't have to be mental.. just something.. demos of every module you make would be a good start.. amazing how many modules .. no demos at all.. just buy it blind then.?. get a sexy girl in a skimpy t shirt to demo it.. get someone funny..drive round in a car pointing at it making up random things ..do a cheap video of the thing flying through space.. put in a frying pan saying its tough... ANYTHING !
..get good photos done !!! get creative ! smile

relying on JLR or alternating bit etc(as good as the demos are!) is not a great business model... market your own shit ! smile

a module that has no demo no shop to try it in makes it pretty hard to pay £2-300 + for.. call me crazy .. smile

rantos over...
Eric the Red
But... but... Junkie XL will review it in one of his videos. With Social media, cheap photo/video editing software semi decent and quick marketing can be done while taking a shit in the morning.

Managing a Facebook page is pretty easy. Creating a pretty cool track should be easy, especially for the creator of the Module.

5U is a niche of a niche. But can you spare 30-45 min a day to advertise?
unrecordings
i think it's a chicken & egg situation - sure 5U does seem to rely on 'it does what it says on the tin' but if low sales are expected then there's going to be a reluctance to spend precious downtime and/or money marketing that will likely make little difference. Look at it like many similar small hobby enterprises - the joy is making the product, everything else is a chore.

That's my tuppence (for the moment)
Synthbuilder
Eric the Red wrote:
Creating a pretty cool track should be easy, especially for the creator of the Module.

Actually I find doing demos the hardest things to do. Consequently I don't do too many of them. Although most of my modules do have some sort of audio sample to listen to.

Josaka wrote:
5u manufacturers are complaining about lack of sales..

Actually I think that's just me. I have no idea how other folk are doing.

It's hard to see 5U having a big impact when compared to eurorack though. I'm currently building up a small euro system to hopefully do some demos showing what a mix of 5U and euro can do.

Tony
wiggy81
I thought 5U guys were ahead of the game, rumour has it that the latest viral marketing campaign from a major 5U player is going to be distributing one of these with every new customer order.

Dead Banana
DrReverendSeance
In three years I have yet to see a 5U owner with a ponytail. Not sure where the ponytail story started. Was this something from the 80's?

josaka makes an interesting point about promotion. Marketing is about knowing the target market, and appealing to them.

My guess is that for 5U, the target market is middle-aged hobbyist who enjoy building as much as playing the instrument, who like solid and traditional electronics, who enjoy searching for the right spec of capacitor, who are somewhat nit-picky, who are fairly well off (not a cheap hobby), well educated, who have larger hands and get frustrated by small knobs and cables...

I might be wrong on any of these, feel free to comment.

To grow the market: where do these people go, and what do they want?

I personally think the biggest barrier to 5U is the lack of panels. Synthcube has started introducing more panels for 5U which is a great start. More DIY kits would probably be good as well.

Sort of a long post, I'll put in a emoticon to lighten it up Dead Banana
DrReverendSeance
One more thought: the idea that 5U panels must always be black and "on the grid" does us no favours. I think the perception of 5U owners as traditional and somewhat Luddite puts people off.

More videos of people demoing their gear and trying new things on 5U would help.
Eric the Red
On the other hand, there are probably about 15-20 companies/makers/creators/business owners or (18-60) people running the 5U market, as opposed to 200-500 small companies in the Euro world.

On the plus side, ours are a lot more stable, where on the Euro side, someone might make 1-Module, have good intentions to keep going and then phase out after a year or so.
Ranxerox
That look of cosmo knobs on black/dark grey anodised panels with bare alu flanges is partly what drew me to MU; why the f**k would I want different colour options? And what is this millennial whining about 5U not being marketed better? As if a musician would care about such things...

hmmm.....

you kids get off my lawn
Flareless
Demo videos are cool but sometimes don't showcase a product enough. I've seen several demos where the description reads something like "here's a patch with a <insert module name>". The patches sound cool but it's tough to tell just what the <insert module name> is doing among the other modules in the patch.

I try to make videos that showcase the features of a single module. Often the patches in my videos are not as cool sounding as those with piles of modules connected together by my goal is to show the viewer what it is that the module in question is actually doing by itself. I try to make the sort of video I'd like to see when I'm researching a module.

Here are a few of those videos in case you missed them.

I agree with Josaka that marketing is very important. I'm still coming across vendors and builders that I've either not heard of or have glimpsed in passing and sort of forgot about because I don't see a lot of their presence. Case in point (for me at least) is RE:Synthesis, a company with some awesome products several of which I just ordered. I forgot about their product line until I saw a post by someone else mentioning them.

And now, because marketing one's own wares really IS critical to getting products out there I'd like to include this shameless promotion....

Lower West Side studio builds many different modules from a wide range of manufacturers including Cat Girl Synthesizers, Barton Musical Circuits, MFOS, Yusynth, Hexinverter and of course Oakley. There are a wide variety of these modules listed on our Products Page including several modules which are in stock and ready to ship.

Don't see a module that you're interested in?!?!? Simply ask and you'll receive a quote with the best possible build price at the fastest possible delivery time! New modules are being added to the lineup all the time.

Looking for panels? We've got panels available for all the modules on the Products Page. Don't see the one you want? Simply ask and we'll get the artwork ready and the panel screened at a very reasonable cost.

Best of all - ALL OUR PRODUCTS ARE PRICED IN CANADIAN DOLLARS. That's right! Our currency here is likely crap compared to your currency (unless of course you live here) so take advantage of the exchange rate. If you live here in Canada then take advantage of the par value prices and lower shipping costs.

So check out the Products Page and the Muff Wiggler BST link for details on some great additions you can make to your modular setup.

There.... a little marketing!
Ranxerox
My advice to all the amateur marketing gurus - if you see untapped potential in this 5U market, then do something about it! Be that change. Start a company and market its products in the way you think it should be done. (And then people like me can go online and criticise it - fwiw!)
Eric the Red
@Flareless - that video you made of the Barton Analog Drum inspired me to go ahead and buy a bunch of Barton boards. I think I have about 50 in various stages of production for myself.

I have a 157 space MU cabinet with 85 modules in different stages of DIY going.

3-cabinets, left is 3-rows of 17U, with a 1-u strip across the top, middle is 3-rows of 24U with a 1-u strip across the top, and the right is 2-rows of 17U with 2-rows for euro, I have no idea how many HP that is, once I finish building all the 5U the euro will slowly filter in. It's essentially 12 sequencers and a bunch of effects on weirdness.

With this wonky system, there will be plenty of demo videos and all sorts of crazy things coming out of it as soon as I figure out how to play it all together.
Jturbide
I'm not here to say who should do what or whatever but just search for ''5u modular'' and ''eurorack'' on youtube.. Last ''5u modular'' video is 5 months old. Eurorack has an entire page of videos uploaded the last two days... Yeah there might be videos that says MU or MOTM instead of 5U but..

I know, the eurorack community is a lot bigger than 5U, but it's true that eurorack is way more tempting when you see new videos everyday.
josaka
not one real attempt at image creation by anyone ! .. could that actually be one of the reasons that the target audience IS only old gits!! ?? smile and 5u is only a small market instead of a larger more youthful market ..?

no one has tried for at least twenty years ! the acceptance of " that's just the way it is" ...is typical 5u madness smile..

people talking about the costs ..this is the cheapest easiest time for marketing EVER !! so many options for video editors.. good cameras literally grow on trees these days smile 10 yr old kids are more creative on youtube..

the simple point is nobody thinks its important or even tries.. corsynth make videos at least and have an image on he web site and also a vibe.. C.O.T.K has a web but zero videos..

a guy on another thread just said "but I know what it does .. I don't need to hear it" .. which is really part of the attitude of the makers as well.. can you imagine any food store or any electronic company in the real world not create an image or create some aura around their product.?. its hard to fathom..

btw.. this is not a "dig" actually I'm trying to be positive and get people to have a little think at least.. often goes down like a lead turd around here smile..
Jturbide
josaka wrote:

C.O.T.K has a web but zero videos..

a guy on another thread just said "but I know what it does .. I don't need to hear it" .. which is really part of the attitude of the makers as well...

As a newb I don't always know exactly what the modules do. COTK is a good example, their modules look amazing but I had to ask on the forum to understand what the Extended 4 Channel Morph Controller does.

I like your positivity Hobbes
ualslosar
Buy the modules or the dog gets it...
boothnavy
I get it...

But i don't think most people understand how hard it is to wear all the hats of a company by yourself. Aside from Roger, I think almost every 5U manufacturer is one person. Sure marketing and advertising are important, but so is designing, procuring, manufacturing, fabricating, building, testing, shipping, and support... Something has to give...

I have a website, facebook, instagram... I take pictures. I post videos. I do what I can, but I also have other jobs, a family, and bills.

My modules are not on a grid, not always black, and not all based on the Moog Modular.

So I guess, maybe, my presence isn't big enough or it would have come up in searches? It didn't prevent all of my "rock star" customers from finding me, though...
josaka
ualslosar wrote:
Buy the modules or the dog gets it...

thats how easy it is.. not saying people should start running pet hijacking module campaigns .. but a little "humour" "fantasy" "aura" + "lying" goes a long way to sucking people in.. the precursor to "G.A.S" .. smile
josaka
boothnavy wrote:
I get it...

But i don't think most people understand how hard it is to wear all the hats of a company by yourself. Aside from Roger, I think almost every 5U manufacturer is one person. Sure marketing and advertising are important, but so is designing, procuring, manufacturing, fabricating, building, testing, shipping, and support... Something has to give...

I have a website, facebook, instagram... I take pictures. I post videos. I do what I can, but I also have other jobs, a family, and bills.

My modules are not on a grid, not always black, and not all based on the Moog Modular.

So I guess, maybe, my presence isn't big enough or it would have come up in searches? It didn't prevent all of my "rock star" customers from finding me, though...

you sell modules to creative types !.. use them..? smile
I like your "adventure" and module design ..very sleeek.. you could press that angle easily.. surely be fun and garner a bit attention.. smile

the whole modular thing is totally space retro.. not one company uses this fantastic well of imagery to sell..

an album on facebook of old ads...
https://www.facebook.com/jsaulkane/media_set?set=a.10155079398242594.1 073741836.745282593&type=3
Eric the Red
I hear of most new modules, or build shopping lists from here on Muffs, Synthtopia.com and a few synth themed Facebook groups.

I understand running a 1-man business is hard, and finding time to balance everything is hard, I recently just scaled back my life to where I now only have a full time job and a part time job. Got rid of the second part time job smile

I feel like th message that is trying to get across is take 10-minutes a day to promote yourself on Facebook, YouTube, twitter, etc... not every one every day because that is excessive, but that comes at a cost (time wise)

Devils advocate - as Boothnavy said, he is a 1-man operation. Even if a little marketing increased sales by 5% for completed modules and full kits, would these guys all be able to keep up, keep good customer service, and grow the business? Unfortunately, a small boost like 5-10% in sales wouldn't be enough to hire that extra set of hands that is desperately needed to help 5U grow.
laxlaxlax
The market square where people scream for my attention also has a little shed where a faint line of soldering smoke trickles out. And there is a honest, small-key man with a beard, bent over a circuit board, peering over his glasses at me. "What do you want?"

"I heard you sell 5U?"

The last months i've been chasing him down from rumors, heresay and old children tales. I had to sell everything i had for the journey. I've worn down three pair of boots.

"I might. What do you need?" he inquires.

"An oscillator." I lick my lips.

"You know. " He lets go of his tools. "There's only three people in the world that still makes those. "

"Yes."

"I've made two of those in my life."

"Yes?"

"One got fried in the big electric storm."

I nodded, I'd read the same in the big city library.

"Yes."

"The other. " He looks up at a shelf in the corner. "Is up there. "

I look at him straight in the eyes. "I'd like to buy it, sir."
laxlaxlax
This is how i feel when trying to find 5U.

( Please build a sampler someone. )
unrecordings
I was going to wax lyrical about something or other but I deleted it. I'm waiting to see what happens next...
Jturbide
laxlaxlax

omg hahaha! felt like reading a book thumbs up
leeski
Sssssshhhhhh!

5U it's a secret so don't tell.

!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 1 of 10