MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

E370 Quad VCO update
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author E370 Quad VCO update
paults
Sending out today for 2 prototype/SW development boards. Still on schedule to start shipping this fall.

Will have another WaveEdit video peek next week.

Pre-orders until August 15th here: Pre-Order Page

miles_macquarrie
Thank you for the update. Demos please when they are available.
dubonaire
Thanks for the update Paul.
paults
Doing the pc board design this weekend for the jack board.
paults
Blank PC boards arrived (3). 332 parts to solder per board. Time to get a move on.

dubonaire
That would drive me insane.
paults
First 90min, ~140 parts across the 3 boards. Mostly caps and varistors/ferrites. Moving to test the power supplies/reference voltages. 1044 total parts in the batch.

mbartkow
Out of curiosity, since you mentioned 20 varistors on the fb - are you using them for overvoltage protection on the inputs? And, if so, is it better/easier than the popular protection scheme with Schottky diodes?
loydb
Paul, I'm not sure if those boards will actually *fit* on the working area for it, but you might find a Voltera a timesaver for solder application.
paults
Quote:
Out of curiosity, since you mentioned 20 varistors on the fb - are you using them for overvoltage protection on the inputs? And, if so, is it better/easier than the popular protection scheme with Schottky diodes?

The varistors are ESD protection on the CV inputs.

Schottky diodes are on the power connector, to protect against reverse-voltage being applied. Shrouded headers and commercially-made ribbon cables would help in THAT area. very frustrating Dead Banana
Chickenbone
So is the E370 a quad E352?
JohnLRice
Chickenbone wrote:
No. There are many similarities but important differences too. Paul listed these in a thread somewhere . . here:

paults wrote:
Until we get the E370 prototype HW (in about 2 weeks) and start porting the code over, we can't say exactly what features from the E352 will be in the E370. I can say:

a) E370 has 4 pitch-independent audio streams. E352 has 1.
b) E370 has 2 CV-able parameters per voice. E352 has 3.
c) E370 has Chord Mode. E352 does not.
d) E370 has TZFM. E352 does not.

The E370 DSP runs 216MHz. The E352 runs at 158MHz. The E370 will draw around 90ma off +12V, the E352 75ma.
Chickenbone
×1000 thanks for this list JohnLRice
paults
BTW: the last day to pre-order a E370 is Monday. After that, all orders will be through dealers.

E370 Preorder Page
ianross
JohnLRice wrote:
Chickenbone wrote:
No. There are many similarities but important differences too. Paul listed these in a thread somewhere . . here:

paults wrote:
Until we get the E370 prototype HW (in about 2 weeks) and start porting the code over, we can't say exactly what features from the E352 will be in the E370. I can say:

a) E370 has 4 pitch-independent audio streams. E352 has 1.
b) E370 has 2 CV-able parameters per voice. E352 has 3.
c) E370 has Chord Mode. E352 does not.
d) E370 has TZFM. E352 does not.

The E370 DSP runs 216MHz. The E352 runs at 158MHz. The E370 will draw around 90ma off +12V, the E352 75ma.

I'm sure everyone knows this, but just in case. I played with a beta E352 at control and it has two operator FM which I'm assuming is internal thru-zero.

I just wanted to clarify for people wondering if you can do thru-zero FM with the E352 the answer is that you can internally right? You just can't thru-zero with an external oscillator I assume.
numan7
i'm under the impression that 2-op FM will be more or less a re-tread of what is currently on the E330 Multimode VCO:

synthesis technology wrote:
2-op fm is a 2 "operator" (to use yamaha's terminology) fm (frequency modulation) where a sine vco that is the 'pitch' (called the carrier) is fm'd by another sine vco (the modulator). these sine vcos are internally generated by the e330. out 1 has the pitched, fm'd result, and out 2 has the modulation sine wave. the modulation a panel/cv is the fm 'depth' or 'index' and varies from 0% (out a is a pure sine) to over 400% (4th harmonic overtones). the modulation b panel/cv is a 64-entry look-up table that sets the ratio of the moduation vco to the audio vco. the modulator can be lower in frequency, the same frequency, or higher in frequency. the steps begin at 0 (no modulation) to 7.375 in steps of 0.125 for example a ratio of 2.000:1 means the modulator is exactly 2x the frequency of the audio vco.

so you can modulate pitch (via 1 volt/oct), index (via mod a) and ratio (via mod b). it's sinewaves-only. and there does not appear to be any control for symmetry (or initial frequency) as one tends to find on a dedicated tzfm vco.

not sure what the fm input actually does in this mode (sorry i don't have a e330 at hand)... does it exponentially or linearly modulate the carrier, the modulator or both ... or neither (as in exponential fm of out1 / already fm'd carrier signal)?

cheers
paults
Quote:
it's sinewaves-only.

Ummmm....nope. Sine, tri, saw or wavetable. Both modulator and carrier. Rockin' Banana!
paults
1) Tuesday is the last day to pre-order a E370 in black or sliver. On the 16th, they are only available via a dealer, in silver only. Dealers will not have stock until Feb. 2018.

the shop is here: E370 Preorder page

b) We have 'alpha' firmware running on the hardware. Here is a shot of 4 independent outputs, each VCO is running a different algorithm, with a different wavetable.

[/img]
dubonaire
thumbs up
FatRocky
I´ve seen how beautiful the E352 looks with that black front panel,,, is it possible that i can get my E370 with black panel too? just curious

Thanks
thumbs up
paults
they are at www.synthtech.com/shop

today is last day to pre-order. I may have a few panels left over in the fall.
Funky40
paults wrote:
they are at www.synthtech.com/shop

today is last day to pre-order. .

thats for the E370 ?
until when can i order the black panel ? ( beeing in the kickstarter buyers group )
Jamnuska
This is from the email I received Aug 4

Posted by Paul Schreiber (Creator)
a) August 15th is the last day to pre-order a E370, in either black or silver. After the 15th, you will have to order at a retail dealer.
As far as ordering a black panel for an existing E370 order, that will be available until Oct 15th, then those are gone for good.
Funky40
Thanks, Jamnuska
Drakhe
soggybag wrote:
That's really cool, have designed a panel for this?

Offcourse, see here >>> for relevant Muff post <<<

or check the kickstarter (which is closed but still has all the info) >>> e370 on kickstarter <<<
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6