MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Coco players - Is My Cocoquantus 2 working OK?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Coco players - Is My Cocoquantus 2 working OK?
Tropic Al
Just picked up a used Cocoquantus 2 and am really enjoying it.
However it sounds very very crunchy/ noisy, and after watching again (and comparing the sound) of a whole bunch of Coco videos, I'm wondering if there is a problem with it?

Here's a video where I am playing my lap steel into it, you can hear me play the note (which is the sound of the input on the Coco) and then the recorded sound is played back. I think I had the speed control at around 12oclock.

Is this normal / usual sound, or is there a problem? I have just got it so still figuring it out so maybe theres a better technique I could use?

Thanks in advance!

Heres the link to the video:

https://instagram.com/p/BWK5znjAnU1/
clarte
Sounds like a gain staging issue, try attenuating the signal in.
Tropic Al
clarte wrote:
Sounds like a gain staging issue, try attenuating the signal in.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a shot!
Tropic Al
Just ran some tests and no matter what level I send into the Coco it still sounds like it does in the video above, if I set the level going in quieter then the noise overtakes the signal being sent in after its recorded.
It's much less noticable on drum sounds or loops but on guitar or patching the outputs of the oscillators in it is quite noticeable and sounds very crunchy.

Is this normal? I have tried a different power supply but it sounds exactly the same.
sensanalog
It seems like normal behavior to me. id say keep playing around with input/output levels until you get the right balance. Also, the longer delay times you use, the more hiss, especially out of the right output. Play around with your delay time and see if that helps.

Part of the magic in the coco is the 8-bit delays. They can add some wonderful character to sound sources once you get the levels just right.
Hainbach
Yep, utterly normal. 12 is already heavy degradation territory, two is better. Use the dolby switches and run the signal in really hot, close before distortion. Try the piezo in, too, for extra gain. EQ after the Coco helps, too.
Tropic Al
Thanks for your replies guys!

I have tried experimenting with different levels and the different inputs but my one seems to be extra distorted compared to others that I have seen.

For instance the one is this video seems a lot more smoother and way less distorted / noisy than mine and you can see that the pitch knobs at 12 oclock too.

Hainbach
This is the noise on mine, at about 2:

Oldstench
Both of mine get pretty noisy right around 12-o-clock.
Tropic Al
Hainbach wrote:
This is the noise on mine, at about 2:

Seems less noisy than mine, you get more of the clean signal and less distortion and noise!
Great video by the way!
Hainbach
Thx!
I hope you find out what's wrong. Sometime grounding can be an issue, too.
cityz3n
I was wondering in your example your using your finger and not a bar. (Steel)
I had the impression you were hitting the strings very hard.
Couldn't that be the start of the distorted signal?
What kind of pickup is in that lapsteel?

This interests me as well as I'm on the verge off ordering one.
Did you check this thread already?
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60986&sid=0cb88f35b9 e065a3d2a529bd9e2d2087

Good luck!
wednesdayayay
why not post some sounds so we can hear the difference for ourselves perhaps that would allow for some better troubleshooting This is fun!
knows
Clearing the coco delay buffers before starting helps. Also try making your loop with the feedback set to zero, to see if it sounds any different.
jimmie
Tropic Al wrote:

I have tried experimenting with different levels and the different inputs but my one seems to be extra distorted compared to others that I have seen.

For instance the one is this video seems a lot more smoother and way less distorted / noisy than mine and you can see that the pitch knobs at 12 oclock too.

That's my video hihi I too wondered how to get clean loops when I got my coco, so I think you'll get used to it! In the video I sampled ipod nano, if my memory serves the input gain must have been at about 11 to 12 o'clock(with ipod nano). That's the value I found to get the most less noisy on my coco. Sample speed(S) is at about 12 o'clock as well (it's also 12 when recording). Playback level(feedba) is also important, like in the video. Finally as said in post above start with the delay buffer cleared (input and playback CCW, speed about 12, hit rec button and record a few second). The length of recording buffer plays great deal with unexpected 'leftover' noise - it can get quite long then it'll take quite long to clear. Experiment a lot, you'll eventually find sweet spot SlayerBadger!
Tropic Al
Yes I have been starting with the buffers cleared, and after playing with it some more since recording the video above I have managed to record some cleaner sounds from my Easel and the internal oscillators.
Will experiment more with my guitar and see if I can get a cleaner sound.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1