MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Opinions of Model 15 clones
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Opinions of Model 15 clones
TheDegenerateElite
Anyone have any first hand experience with any of the Model 15 clones that are available? I'm specifically looking for something with 921s and the FFB.

CotK makes one, so does Mos Lab. I'm sure there is one I'm forgetting.

Are the Mos Lab cases fully finished with latches and lids? The CotK case looks to be an almost exact copy, even with the back panels.

Also the FFB from Mos has a few extra bands, being a 914, though I'm not sure that is a major deal.

The CP modules are all different, with the CotK being just a single long strip, but it has some nice extras on it.

Also related, sort of, but any opinions of Mos Lab vs Dotcom 960 sequencers?
johny_gtr
I have 16 modules from Mos-Lab (FFB and 960 included) and 901 voice from Synth-Werk. Both brands modules sound great, quality is top notch.

Mos-Lab FFB is good, but I mostly use it for EQuing drum machines sounds and poly-synths.

Mos-Lab 960 is also good, looks impressive. I use it mostly for fun. It always easier for me playing by hands than configuring analog sequencers.

Both Mos-Lab and Synth-Werk modules have black anodized panels not painted and silk screened. For me it's very important in terms of aesthetics.
JohnLRice
TheDegenerateElite wrote:
Anyone have any first hand experience with any of the Model 15 clones that are available? I'm specifically looking for something with 921s and the FFB.

CotK makes one, so does Mos Lab. I'm sure there is one I'm forgetting.
No first hand experience but Moon Modular recently started making powered P type cases with lids. You could load one of those up with a variety of modules from Synth-Werks, COTK and Mos-Lab etc?
http://www.lunar-experience.com/cases.html

Also related, sort of, but any opinions of Mos Lab vs Dotcom 960 sequencers?
Mos-Lab has some more advanced options you can get like a built in gate buss and quantizer. You can do this with additional external modules with the DotCom Q960 but the Mos-Lab will make for a more compact system.
Synthoholic
Seb is currently working on trying to get a manufacturer to make some portable cases with lids and latches, but I think they are 850 euros each.

I own quite a few Mos-Lab modules (by the end of the year will be a IIIp worth) but his 921 oscillators are very stable and have a more truer sync that found on the Moog 15 as well as a disconnect switch, making them very useful. His 921 is the only clone of the Moog that I know of that actually does the waveform clamping.

Gerhard's (Synth-Werk) inductor-based 914 is an absolute dream to own but it is 1800 Euros. He is having a 907 coming out at some point. Seb's 914 (I haven't tried it, but according to the youtube demos, it appears to have a more prounced resonant quality than the dotcom (I owned it, was a major disappointment so I sold it.) I never was able to get Kazike to care about selling me his inductor-based 907a but the inductors are absolutely the way to go.

Regarding the sequencer, Mos-Lab is going to have you a better panel and his extra features, depending on how much you spend, but they still run on the dotcom voltages. So you might be further ahead ordering the 960 suite from dotcom since you have to import it. Also, the problem with putting the sequencers in the 8u wide case is the need for the 962, which Seb will be making in the CP sized panel. Pictures of this have recently surfaced on his FB page. So if you like the look of the P style cabinets, that might be the way to go.
josaka
love to see a model 15 throwdown test.. moog/cotk/moslab/synthwerk(custom)
Leverkusen
Don't know really what to respond - I am owning a CotK Model 15 for 3 years (though I am actually offering it for sale due to financial needs) and I like the sound of it but never had an opportunity to directly compare it to something else.

I modified it and swapped the filterbank against the Polymoog Resonators, mainly because I wanted a third 921 in the main oscillator bank and found that for me the resonators are filter bank enough, plus the resonance. At some point I had the Blacet Time Machine installed instead of the resonators which was great too.

If I had not to sell ist now I might try to DIY an inductor based FFB and put in there.

So in the end my opinion is, yeah it's a great compact portable system. The case is very much as the original with tolex and hardware and a lid. Sounds and looks and works great...
TheDegenerateElite
Thanks for the responses everyone. Lots of info on these if you search around on Muffs, but no real direct comparisons.

I have been considering getting dotcom standalone 960 to use with my mini, in the larger case though with the extra space for the addons.

The Model 15 would be it's own thing, that I would patch in with other gear as needed.

Looks like case wise, the CotK wins out, and build quality wise the Mos Lab edges it out. From what I gather, sonically they are about the same in a mix.
synthnut
Just as a note of caution regarding CPs in these systems, the COTK CP height is different to everyone elses! The Moon, Mos-Lab and Synth-Werk are the same height and now the same hole pitch as each other and the same height as Moog. Moog's still have the odd spacing on the lower holes to match the piano hinge. Moon ones did as an option a while back but those will have been custom orders and the standard ones offered now all have holes that match top an bottom. The Mos-Lab system 15 has a single 8 module wide CP15 too by the way.
Sadly I can't comment on the sounds in person as I don't have those here to try.

TTFN
Ben
www.resynthesis.co.uk
TheDegenerateElite
synthnut wrote:
Just as a note of caution regarding CPs in these systems, the COTK CP height is different to everyone elses! The Moon, Mos-Lab and Synth-Werk are the same height and now the same hole pitch as each other and the same height as Moog. Moog's still have the odd spacing on the lower holes to match the piano hinge. Moon ones did as an option a while back but those will have been custom orders and the standard ones offered now all have holes that match top an bottom. The Mos-Lab system 15 has a single 8 module wide CP15 too by the way.
Sadly I can't comment on the sounds in person as I don't have those here to try.

TTFN
Ben
www.resynthesis.co.uk

Thanks for the extra info.

I would keep the model 15 as it's own separate instrument though and not move it in with any of my other gear.
josaka
...another late night ramble
Klangzaun
I recently got a club of the knobs model 15 and I like the sound. Unfortunately I can not compare it to the Moog original system. However I like the sound because of the depth and dynamic. I don't know if it a valuable statement, but soundwise it is closer to a model D than a Voyager is.
TheDegenerateElite
I think the CotK nails the sound close enough and certainly hits the look. How does everything look and feel to you in person; panel wise, jacks, switches? How do you like the filter bank? Any other observations so far?

One of the major draws for a 15, in my eyes, is the interface with the synth.

The sound is, of course, important, but i do have a Mini D already, plus a Rogue and M32.

A Moog would be great...but, well you all know the but.

Thanks for the info.
Klangzaun
How does everything look and feel to you in person; panel wise, jacks, switches? How do you like the filter bank? Any other observations so far?

I have the Model 15 since a few days and I am still overexcited, I guess. So please be carefully with my statements here. ;-)

I am exploring the system and find useful combinations with my other gear. The sound delivers more than I had expected initially. I like the look and all the switches, jacks and knobs look and feel trustworthy. I bought the system without the fixed filterbank, but I ordered it from Kazike together with the denominator, arpeggiator and delay modules. I could choose between the regular fixed filterbank (which comes normally with Model 15) or the version with inductors. I go for the less costy version.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1