MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is Make Noise B&G Shared System a good choice in 2017 ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Is Make Noise B&G Shared System a good choice in 2017 ?
Analog Music
Is Make Noise Black and Gold Shared System a good choice in 2017 ?

I've been saving and eying it for a while , it's a good complete system that others speak very highly of . I know that part of the fun in eurorack is building your own system from scratch
but I still like the idea of a complete system plus many eurorack users who have built there own systems complain that it never quite feels like a complete system to them after spending big bucks over the years .

My worry with the MakeNoise/SS is that as the modular world continues to advance with new and exciting modules is the MN/shared system going to feel outdated because it's been around for a few years now ?

Would hate to drop the much on a complete system that's old and outdated or maybe it's not like that and it's just as good today as anything else and will always be . I know this has come up before just wanted a 2017 perspective .
nolongerhuman
Its a nice, and appealing starting point for modular that can either be your one modular instrument, or part of a larger whole.

As for being outdated, I don't think it really matters all that much, modules still make the same sounds when new versions come out, so buy it if you like it now rather than worrying about the future (in my opinion)

However... the parts in the B&G system that are older (I think mainly the Phonogene, which now has the Morphogene kind of overshadowing it, and the Echophon which could use an update in my opinion) can always be swapped out with newer versions as you need when they are released rather than updating the whole system.

Overall, Eurorack moves *way* too fast to ever have the latest and greatest of everything.
uniquepersonno2
I'm not a huge Make Noise fan, so take this with a grain of salt, but I feel like building your own system (probably starting with a complete voice and building from there) will get you farther in the long run. That said, it looks like a pretty crazy powerful system so as long as you know EXACTLY what it does and like the sound/features you won't be disappointed. I don't think instruments (especially analog ones) will ever go out of date (people still spend $3k+ on 808s for some unbeknownst reason to me) so I don't think that should be a worry. I'd never want a system with all modules from one manufacturer, but if you like analog stuff and want a complete system I've never seen a better one.
coolshirtdotjpg
I honestly can't think of a eurorack module that goes out of date, other than the disting, but even then, I like having the MK1s around, that way I can keep the MK3 in the same bank all the time. Some people see the phonogene as being out of date, and so the price dropped by around $100 on the used market, but I get the feeling that those people were maybe not that interested in the Phonogene to begin with. Anyway, most of the make noise designs are based on Buchla and Serge designs that have been coveted for decades. If something is really great, it never really goes out of date. What should really matter is, do you think you will be able to make the sounds you want to with that system, and can you afford it, haha.
nectarios
Is an old Buchla system, outdated today?

At the cash the B&G goes for, I'd have them replace the Phonogene with the Morphagene.

Thing is, there will always be new modules and even similar modules that are improved versions of the ones you have.
That does not matter.
New and improved ways of making patches, is what matters...and that never goes out of date.
hawkfuzz
Yes, but a Cartesian is a better step in my opinion for simplicity in coomparison, but can get crazy as well.
starthief
It's not the exact combination of modules I would choose for myself, but that's my personal taste/working style rather than "it's 2017." It seems like a fine instrument in its own right.
khiner
I started a couple (few?) years back with a MN shared system. Well I had several other modules to start with, but that's what got me into the deep end.
I remember feeling like a kid on christmas when it came in the mail. It was so sexy and a great unit. A really great way to learn modular and still be able to go off the deep end.

That said, I've since replaced all but the Maths, the DPO and the Optomix (well,
sold and upgraded to the V2). I also added a couple pieces of MN gear -
Mysteron and an Erbe-verb. (Maybe that's included in the shared system now?) I also sold the case itself and my other suitcase in favor of a larger studio case. Nothing wrong with that, of course, and everybody's journey is unique. But I can't help thinking about all the money I could have saved had I gone the more utilitarian, one-thing-at-a-time approach, open to used gear, more like I think now. I mean it's pretty damn expensive to get all that stuff new (with a very small mark down to be fair).
luketeaford
I waited and learned as much as I could for years before deciding that a Shared System was what I wanted. It is an amazing, inspiring, and constantly fun instrument with 22-42hp to grow on. It feels like one instrument in the sense that all the voltages work together. This can be a bit of a pain with other manufacturers when, for example, a voltage isn't strong enough to address every stage of a sequencer by the same manufacturer.

The case itself is extremely nice -- input, output, and the CV bus make patching feel smooth and intuitive (even once you've been playing, the way the lights on the CV bus work are great for figuring out what is going on and seeing relationships among signals.

Versatility is the name of the game -- hell, you can even wring "regular" music out of it if you want to.

If you're not fussy about looks, you can get the mixed version a little cheaper.

Highly recommended from someone who has played it (almost) every day for over two years without feeling bored for a single second.
risome
A great system to start with even though it is complex it will grow with you.
Pros =quality sound, cv buss, simple to complex
Cons = none really, only you might be distracted by the pretty lights of other modules at some stage in which case swap out some MN for others. Miley Cyrus
ryangaston
I'm of the camp that a shared system is a solid choice regardless the year.

And FWIW, Make Noise does update the system as time goes on...despite the fact the "shared system" has been around a handful of years now, the system is different now than it was at the outset.

I think new B&G systems, for instance, now are shipping with Morphagene? I could be wrong.
loachhat
I did a counterintuitive thing this weekend and re-arranged my rack by brand & aesthetics instead of function and I have to say it cleared up a *ton* of brain-fog, even though there's more cable spaghetti. Personal issues, ha.

Sticking with a one-brand, nearly complete system then getting as far away as possible from forums/release announcements/etc. would probably be really productive and satisfying, and the B&G (I don't have one, just some of its modules) is most definitely not long in the tooth. I would swap the Phonogene w/ a Morphagene probs.
TommyGFunk
Perfect Circuit say they will have the B&G SS with Morphagene in about 12 weeks
Analog Music
TommyGFunk wrote:
Perfect Circuit say they will have the B&G SS with Morphagene in about 12 weeks

12 weeks , why so long don't see them in stock anywhere ?
neonmercury1
i dont think the Shared system will ever be out dated an if there are things you dont like just sell them and get others. Part of me thinks if i would have bought one instead of buying random things i would have a spent a little more time playing and a little less time gassing about what to buy next.

its a complete system and you can do an insane amount with it.

i mean has the music easel gone out of style? no its a classic.
not saying they are one in the same but they are both designed to be "complete instuments" (more so the easel)

buy it you wont regret it
baleen
I'm with everyone that says "get one you'll be fine." I wouldn't trade my 6u for it straight up, but I would still be deep in it if the B&G was my starter.
hermbot
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
I honestly can't think of a eurorack module that goes out of date, other than the disting, but even then, I like having the MK1s around, that way I can keep the MK3 in the same bank all the time. Some people see the phonogene as being out of date, and so the price dropped by around $100 on the used market, but I get the feeling that those people were maybe not that interested in the Phonogene to begin with. Anyway, most of the make noise designs are based on Buchla and Serge designs that have been coveted for decades. If something is really great, it never really goes out of date. What should really matter is, do you think you will be able to make the sounds you want to with that system, and can you afford it, haha.

I just wanted to point out that this was a well stated point. That's a very reasonable assessment of the state of "versioned" hardware.
Shledge
I owned a doepfer basic system for nearly 10 years before even thinking of expanding. I still have most of the modules are are useful to this today. Don't worry about it being "out of date".
geremyf
It's a great system but I'd still recommend the Cartesian for those just starting into Eurorack. It has taken me years to realize that my workflow and the type of music I want to craft just doesn't mesh with some types of modules, even though some of those modules are super enticing! I think if I had started with the shared system I'd be further behind than I am now (and I'm still pretty far off where I'd like to be!).
bradfromraleigh
The Shared System is just a great system, period. There are full albums cut with it. You can swap out modules or not - its not like the sounds they made were good yesterday and bad now. Sure, there are some more capable choices even in the MN biosphere but you shouldn't feel like you are starting "behind" for some reason.

I've almost completely built my own Shared System (mainly because I could never afford one all at once) but with the following changes:
* 4ms DLD instead of Echophone (not quite the same, I know)
* 2 PP with brains instead of PP + Rene
* Added Ornament + Crime
* Added Ansible for sequencing/modulation
* Using Clouds instead of Erbeverb but want to swap for Erbeverb when I have the funds to do so.
Acquadar
First of all are you based in US? Because if you are an European guy the B&G has an otrageous price. And even if you are based in US there are better options. Frap Tools Sapel instead of Wogglebug. 4ms DLD and no Echophon. Is better an outboard reverb then Erbeverb. Phonogene is 2 seconds mono sample time and Morphagene more than 80 seconds stereo. And you can live without both. DPO is only one complex osc. There are many others. The only modules you really need, and may be you need two of them, are Maths and Optomix. You need a used Pamela workout for clocking duty. Eloquencer sequencer has 8 cv and 8 gate outs. Need a cv bus? Frap Tools 333 is a 9 in 9 out buffered mult (three 3x3 sections) that can handle audio or cv and gates and has three 50% attenuator switches for less than 100 dollars. And if you need a powered case just have a look at the Nonomodular ones. Forget the Black and Gold. Only if you find a used one at less than 3000 dollars...
bradfromraleigh
Acquadar wrote:
First of all are you based in US? Because if you are an European guy the B&G has an otrageous price. And even if you are based in US there are better options. Frap Tools Sapel instead of Wogglebug. 4ms DLD and no Echophon. Is better an outboard reverb then Erbeverb. Phonogene is 2 seconds mono sample time and Morphagene more than 80 seconds stereo. And you can live without both. DPO is only one complex osc. There are many others. The only modules you really need, and may be you need two of them, are Maths and Optomix. You need a used Pamela workout for clocking duty. Eloquencer sequencer has 8 cv and 8 gate outs. Need a cv bus? Frap Tools 333 is a 9 in 9 out buffered mult (three 3x3 sections) that can handle audio or cv and gates and has three 50% attenuator switches for less than 100 dollars. And if you need a powered case just have a look at the Nonomodular ones. Forget the Black and Gold. Only if you find a used one at less than 3000 dollars...

At some point its not a Shared System anymore. I am one of the folks that believes that the overall design philosophy is more important than the system specs but I do agree that the Phonogene may be outmatched by its newest sibling - changing everything else, especially the DPO and the Erbeverb, take away from the vision of the system as I see it. Swap out Phonogene for a Morphagene and you are caught up. I use a DLD instead of the Echophone but that's just my preference.

Others may disagree, and that's fine.

If you like designs in the Buchla and Serge vein and don't want to spend hours debating over technical specs of modules or rearranging a case on modulargrid, the Shared System is the way to go. I would say its an excellent starting point but its not a bad way to end up either!
hermbot
bradfromraleigh wrote:
I would say its an excellent starting point but its not a bad way to end up either!

After 1.5 years of buying, trading, and experimenting, my "final form" has just naturally become a Shared System +- 1 or 2 modules.
nectarios
I have an Echophon and a 4ms DLD. They are quite different in what they do and how they sound. If I had to sell one...well...I wouldn't sell either to be honest but for me, the Echophon is still one of the most unique delay modules out there. Much more than an end of chain delay.
roya
Just FYI, bought a b&g shared system a few weeks ago and got the phonogene replaced with a morphagene for no extra money.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4