MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pedal tree
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Pedal tree
BTG

After getting frustrated with how spread out and unmanageable my pedals were for recording, think I finally found a solution. Can post details if anyone is interested.
lamouette/rck
That's interresting also for desktop synth, do you have a reference to share ?
BTG
Here's what I did.

First, I got a 4 arm monitor stand. These use standard VESA 75/100mm mounts. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BLTED70 -- $70)

Then I purchased some VESA-compatible keyboard/laptop stands. The square ones are laptop stands (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z1VBIE0) $20, the long skinny one is a keyboard stand (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CF5V29U) $20. These then just mount on the monitor stand.

The monitor stand is pretty sturdy and the arms can be raised/lowered/rotated, and tilt angle is adjustable. I chose this stand because it does NOT require clamping or a plunger type mount (but it does allow for it). I'm sure other stands are as good and might even be better (e.g. I could see someone wall mounting this!)

The keyboard tray has two minor issues. First, it's a little flimsy, so I wouldn't pound on the switches of pedals sitting on it. It won't break, but it does bend. The second issue, which is more annoying, is that the mounting holes are slightly too small to fit the brackets supplied with the monitor stand. Both manufacturers claim they're using standards, but in the end I just used a drill very slightly widen the mounting holes and it works fine.

The notebook platform's only issue is that the lip at the bottom doesn't run full length, so pedals may slide off. You could use velcro, put on some self-adhesive bumpers, or just rely on the audio cables to keep them on if they're tipped too far.

In the pic I have a Strymon Ojai powering most of the pedals, but I'm picking up a Strymon Zuma which has more outputs and also two dedicated 12/18V outputs that can be used to drive a couple of my 12V pedals (thus saving on outlets).

This does add up to being about $150, not including the bottom notebook platform that acts as the third tier, but that's way less expensive than any pedal on that board smile

It's about $150 maybe 1.5 hours of work to put together, most of which is just screwing things together and drilling out the holes in the keyboard trays.
BTG
Couple more things.

On the very bottom is a tilting laptop holder. That gives me a final bottom tier with some clearance underneath.

And yes, this would work fine for desktop synths. You can see a related setup in the background with Blofeld, Machinedrum, etc. Larger desktop synths (Modor NF-1) may not fit. The Cirklon is also on a notebook attachment for the K&M stand.

Oh, and the reason not to just have 4 keyboard stands -- they'll end up touching, limiting the degree to which you can angle them, and they'll also end up being about 5' total, which is more than I could spare. I have another keyboard surface coming in which will replace the notebook one on the top right, which is a nice compromise.
drowld
Funny i have the same setup but i splitted the arm 2x2 on each side of my desk.
I love the combo
stk
Oh that's a great solution, thanks!
I really dislike having my gear spread out around the room - I find I just don't use it unless it's within arms length, so I reckon I'll give this a try.
BTG
Stuff is spread out everywhere in my studio so I can't really get an optimal solution, but this solves a density issue (pedals on a single flat surface will sprawl), it's more ergonomic (higher up so less bending over), and since these are all tied into aux busses, I tend to get a track going and then walk over there and adjust the bits I care about to taste.
stk
Nice. I can imagine integrating a patchbay or matrix mixer would be great.
BTG
stk wrote:
Nice. I can imagine integrating a patchbay or matrix mixer would be great.

Not sure what you mean? I'm using a MOTU AVB setup which is the ultimate matrix mixer for the sheer # of effects I have in play. Between my 1248 and 16M I 12 stereo sends/returns, and if I need more I'll add another 16M. Routing via Web interface is a dream.

I decided against an SSL Matrix just because it didn't have enough expansion.

(And I hate patchbays, which is another reason I went this direction)
stk
I was really just thinking out loud regarding my own setup - I prefer hardware patchbays for quick patching of routing ideas away from the computer. Matrix mixer would be the ultimate for feedback routing etc smile
BTG
The iPad app makes it super easy, or a laptop. It's still otb in my book, I'm just using a digital interface to quickly patch and set sends, which is easier than walking to a console or pulling cables.
SPIKE the Percussionist
this is AWESOME!!!!

thanks for posting the details...i'm going to build two of these!
Futuresound
Very cool, I’ve been thinking of something similar, but your approach is much better. Is everything sturdy enough to allow you to toggle pedals that font have soft-touch stomp switches? Some of my pedals require pretty significant pressure to toggle on or off...
MindMachine
I like trees.

How is that Erica Fusion Box? I know they are new, but I have been lusting.
BTG
Futuresound wrote:
Very cool, I’ve been thinking of something similar, but your approach is much better. Is everything sturdy enough to allow you to toggle pedals that font have soft-touch stomp switches? Some of my pedals require pretty significant pressure to toggle on or off...

I grab the shelf and push with my thumb which works fine, I would absolutely not put too much weight on either side smile
BTG
MindMachine wrote:
I like trees.

How is that Erica Fusion Box? I know they are new, but I have been lusting.

Haven't had much time to play with it. It gets wild really fast and has a narrow sweet spot if you want subtle. I think advertising it as a chorus flange ensemble may lead to disappointment (e.g. Comparing to a cluster flux).
folpon
Woooooooooowww. This is an amazing idea! Feeling inspired...
SPIKE the Percussionist
just set mine up today!

i went with different keyboard shelves since you said the ones you got were a bit flimsy.

WAY more room for more noiz weapons.

thanks again for posting this!

BTG
Which shelf did you use?
Cat-A-Tonic
stk wrote:
I was really just thinking out loud regarding my own setup - I prefer hardware patchbays for quick patching of routing ideas away from the computer. Matrix mixer would be the ultimate for feedback routing etc smile

Perhaps a 4MS Bend Matrix might fit the bill.

Midi controlled routing of your pedals and other weird stuff.
stk
@Cat-A-Tonic I had forgotten about that one. I don't really, well, Euro any more, but I still have some of the infrastructure around so that could be a winner SlayerBadger!
Cat-A-Tonic
stk wrote:
@Cat-A-Tonic I had forgotten about that one. I don't really, well, Euro any more, but I still have some of the infrastructure around so that could be a winner SlayerBadger!

It's not Euro at all.
It's a stand-alone.
...with 1/4" and your choice of 3.5mm or bananas cool
xonetacular
SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
just set mine up today!

i went with different keyboard shelves since you said the ones you got were a bit flimsy.

link to which parts you used?
smetak
SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
just set mine up today!

Woe! This is really impressive!
realitycontrol
Aye, that looks ace. Would suit me perfectly. Have barely touched my pedals since completely running out of desk space, expanding vertically in this manner is the way!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2