DPO vs Double Helix: which one??

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

DPO vs Double Helix: which one??

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:42 pm

So I'm looking to get a complex analog oscillator soon, and I'm stuck between these two. Same HP, close enough in price... So which one is better? The DPO seems interesting but I'm not a huge Make Noise fan. The Double Helix looks well-featured but maybe missing some core features like sync. I'm looking for something that can make smooth to harsh leads to basses, basically as sonically broad as possible. Any thoughts from users of one or both? :yay:

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:30 pm

I'm a biased PGH fan. The Double Helix is unique. A wave folder, impulse filter, 3 OSCs, and a modulation matrix will get you just about any wave shape you want. I also thought the missing sync was odd but I have other VCOs to handle that job.

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:58 pm

strangegravity wrote:I'm a biased PGH fan. The Double Helix is unique. A wave folder, impulse filter, 3 OSCs, and a modulation matrix will get you just about any wave shape you want. I also thought the missing sync was odd but I have other VCOs to handle that job.
Makes sense. I had an SV-1 a while back and it sounded really nice so I understand your bias. It looks to be very powerful... thanks for the input!

TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by TemplarK » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:07 pm

I have a DPO and its pretty goddamn good i have to say. It excels as brassy sounds but also has really nice sines square and triangle and saw outs that can all be FM'd. The sync is great, the final output makes some serious noise in the best possible way, its defo a great module to have.

I haven't used the Double Helix but listening to the demo i just did i would say DPO all the way.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:08 pm

The DPO is my favorite oscillator and there are lots of great videos/soundcloud demos out there covering it thoroughly.

I think it definitely fits the bill for harsh, but smoothness is possible too. As one of Make Noise's signature modules, if you're not a fan you may not like it because it is very much something I identify with their sound and workflow -- really well thought out panel with useful normalizations and every parameter being perfectly scaled in my opinion. I don't gravitate toward sync sounds all that often on the DPO, and if PWM is something you need from a DPO you have to patch it up with Maths (no problem).

The Double Helix looks good and is probably a suitable complex oscillator in its own right. The matrix aspect of it very much appeals to me. I would like to see and hear more of it personally, but I'm not in the market for a new complex osc right now so not doing a lot of research.

Either way, I think you will end up with a serious task trying to learn all the timbres you can get out of them. :tu:

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:03 pm

This is the first patch I did. It's simple and doesn't show most of the features. I'm osculating the wave folder. This is a nice phaseresque bass patch.

[video][/video]

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:11 am

luketeaford wrote:The DPO is my favorite oscillator and there are lots of great videos/soundcloud demos out there covering it thoroughly.

I think it definitely fits the bill for harsh, but smoothness is possible too. As one of Make Noise's signature modules, if you're not a fan you may not like it because it is very much something I identify with their sound and workflow -- really well thought out panel with useful normalizations and every parameter being perfectly scaled in my opinion. I don't gravitate toward sync sounds all that often on the DPO, and if PWM is something you need from a DPO you have to patch it up with Maths (no problem).

The Double Helix looks good and is probably a suitable complex oscillator in its own right. The matrix aspect of it very much appeals to me. I would like to see and hear more of it personally, but I'm not in the market for a new complex osc right now so not doing a lot of research.

Either way, I think you will end up with a serious task trying to learn all the timbres you can get out of them. :tu:
I've only heard great things about the DPO. It looks really great, which is why I'm asking around... It's looking like no matter which I go for I'll have a great oscillator which is good though, kinda can't go wrong!

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:11 am

strangegravity wrote:This is the first patch I did. It's simple and doesn't show most of the features. I'm osculating the wave folder. This is a nice phaseresque bass patch.

[video][/video]
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing, it's great to hear it in action. Sounds very smooth. Nice performance too!

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:14 am

Here's a simple ditty showing a variety of tones from the DH

http://soundcloud.com/zymos/hubbledeelicks

cvtele
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cvtele » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:53 am

Wow these demos sound really nice. Makes me think twice. Must resist temptation.

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:05 pm

Zymos wrote:Here's a simple ditty showing a variety of tones from the DH

http://soundcloud.com/zymos/hubbledeelicks
This is great! Sounds like it's great for classic plucky sounds. Thanks for posting this!

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:18 pm

thanks!
Other than the lack of sync, the only other letdown is that the wavefolder and LPG cannot be disconnected from each other- they share a common output. You don't need to use both to use one or the other, but being able to use them separately on different sources would be a huge plus.

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:17 pm

Zymos wrote:thanks!
Other than the lack of sync, the only other letdown is that the wavefolder and LPG cannot be disconnected from each other- they share a common output. You don't need to use both to use one or the other, but being able to use them separately on different sources would be a huge plus.
Huh, that's strange... Seems like an obvious feature to include. I'm starting to lean more towards the DPO just because it seems a bit more versatile and well-rounded.

natureclubcassettes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by natureclubcassettes » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:36 pm

DPO no hesitation.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:16 pm

DPO is 150 bucks more though, that's a pretty big difference in price IMO. Though I wouldn't decide on that basis alone...

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:45 pm

uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Huh, that's strange... Seems like an obvious feature to include. I'm starting to lean more towards the DPO just because it seems a bit more versatile and well-rounded.
DPO doesn't even have an LPG an the input of the wavefolder is hardwired to VCO B sine. So this isn't really a pro DPO arguement. I think you should go for the one you like the sound better. Choosing one over the other because of some feature is like choosing a Strat over a Les Paul just because the Strat has three pickups and not only two.

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Zymos wrote:DPO is 150 bucks more though, that's a pretty big difference in price IMO. Though I wouldn't decide on that basis alone...
I'm okay with used, and the DPO is usually about $480 used from what I've seen, so nearish the same pricerange :yay:

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:51 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:
uniquepersonno2 wrote:
DPO doesn't even have an LPG an the input of the wavefolder is hardwired to VCO B sine. So this isn't really a pro DPO arguement. I think you should go for the one you like the sound better. Choosing one over the other because of some feature is like choosing a Strat over a Les Paul just because the Strat has three pickups and not only two.
Oh no, of course, that's why I'm leaning towards the DPO. The PGH seem to do plucky really well but that's the only sound I've heard out of it that I like. Since it's also missing sync I feel like I'd be able to get even less sounds that I like out of it. The DPO seems to offer a bit more variation and features that I like, and a sound that's a bit more appealing to me.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:00 pm

DPO is awesome. Can't speak for the DH. But I guess DPO won't disappoint you.

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:09 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:DPO is awesome. Can't speak for the DH. But I guess DPO won't disappoint you.
Yeah, I doubt it would, looks like I'd never get bored with it :bananaguitar:

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:29 pm

uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Zymos wrote:DPO is 150 bucks more though, that's a pretty big difference in price IMO. Though I wouldn't decide on that basis alone...
I'm okay with used, and the DPO is usually about $480 used from what I've seen, so nearish the same pricerange :yay:
Although.... I see this, $369....
https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/lif ... lator.html

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Zymos wrote:
uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Whoa... That's cheap. Didn't realise there'd be any used market given how recently it came out.

NoLegs
Veteran Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:45 pm

uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Zymos wrote:
uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Whoa... That's cheap. Didn't realise there'd be any used market given how recently it came out.
Probably from a display unit.

Samwell Clark
Common Wiggler

Post by Samwell Clark » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:54 pm

NoLegs wrote:
uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Zymos wrote:
uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Usually Perfect Circuit explicitly mentions whether something was a demo piece. This one just looks like it was used under normal circumstances.

For that price, you might even be able to snag a cheap standalone oscillator with sync to go with.

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:16 am

Samwell Clark wrote:
NoLegs wrote:
uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Zymos wrote:
uniquepersonno2 wrote:
Usually Perfect Circuit explicitly mentions whether something was a demo piece. This one just looks like it was used under normal circumstances.

For that price, you might even be able to snag a cheap standalone oscillator with sync to go with.
The used stuff from PC (demo or not) that I've seen has all been great condition. And yeah I'm thinking about other oscs as well.. Not sure if the DPO even would fit exactly what I want.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”