MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Post a pic of your small (22-space or less) 5U system!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Post a pic of your small (22-space or less) 5U system!
poorness
I apologize if there's already a thread for this, I searched and couldn't find one.

I got involved with Eurorack about a year and a half ago. I'm thinking of building a small 5U just to extend what I have. Most of the pics in this thread are of 66-space and larger systems. I thought it would be cool to have a thread of small systems.

I have always thought the small but powerful systems are the most fun to wiggle with. Big systems are great and allow you to do amazing things... but they can be daunting and confusing at times.

Got a small (22-space or smaller) 5U system? Post a pic! I'll post this stock photo to get us started. BTW, I think the TB11 looks awesome. grin

laxlaxlax
How do you make it sound without an osc?
poorness
The LFO++ modules can run at LFO or audio rates and track 1v/oct, just like the Q106.
laxlaxlax
That's clever! Seems like you got all you need but what do you imagine the two blanks could be filled with?

Thanks for explaining.
alternating.bit
Eric the Red
I'll post a picture when I get home to take a new one.. but I kind of have 2-different Systems:
1) 2x Box 11's (I think I have 9 spaces left). I only use this for keyboard modulation. I just have a really standard keyboard with no fun effects or anything, just MIDI Out.

2) DIY Super Sequencer Party - it is going to be a 157 space / 85 Module beast. It is all broken down and compartmentalized into 14 different sections. Each section will be separated by blank panels to help keep things straight.
JohnLRice
Here's my two newest small setups:

The right side of this is still in flux. The blank will be replaced with the new DotCom VCA++ but I'm not sure if I'll keep the C102 LFO in there or put the Q167++ LFO back in. (I need to spend some quality time and decide which works best for this system.) I may replace the COTK C1631 ring mod with a 1 MU VCO or maybe a quantizer. hmmm.....

This is mainly intended to be an external audio processor for my recording setup and for fun with external instruments.
poorness
Both of those are very well thought out. Thanks JLR. thumbs up

Quick question... how did you handle the power standards in those cases? Multiple bus boards? Other question... what type of case is the larger one?
coyoteous
Off-topic, but DAV and TK(?) make a nice background in jlr's pic.

I don't have pictures yet, but the way I have my Moog format modules arranged (or will, for one section), qualifies as about eight of these with two more MOTM to go (sections are 16 MU or 20 MOTM single-spaces).

I know that's cheating for this thread, but I worked hard to make each of those sections a system or subsystem of sorts.

I'll put the COTK (plus a little Moon) section, and the recycled* Synthesizers.com one up if and when I take a probably bad picture or two.

*100% at least secondhand (who knows how many times some of the modules have been traded or resold) spanning nearly every year they've been in business.
JohnLRice
poorness wrote:
Quick question... how did you handle the power standards in those cases? Multiple bus boards? Other question... what type of case is the larger one?
The larger case is a Synthesizers.com QCP22 - 22-Space Portable Cabinet, same as alternating.bit's nice setup. I modified mine by using different lower profile rubber feet, added rubber feet to the back, reinforced the way the handle was mounted and put power and sequencer I/O connectors into the side. For power I have two separate linear supplies, one for the +-12v Mos-Lab modules with a Mos-Lab distro and the other is for the other modules that need +-15 & +5v with an Analog Craftsman distro (wiring wasn't finished in this picture):

The small Grp case had it's own power supply with several DotCom style MTA-100 connectors and one proprietary MTA-156 connector so I just made adapter cables as needed for a couple of the models.
JohnLRice
coyoteous wrote:
Off-topic, but DAV and TK(?) make a nice background in jlr's pic.
hihi I think I made sure that stuff was in-frame just to show off. oops

The TK unit at top is the Tranceiver: http://tkaudio.se/portfolio-items/transceiver/
Dr Gris
Nice to see TK gear.
He's a friend of mine and I really like the stuff he makes.

//M
JohnLRice
Dr Gris wrote:
Nice to see TK gear.
He's a friend of mine and I really like the stuff he makes.

//M
thumbs up He makes great stuff! I also have the BC2-ME love http://tkaudio.se/portfolio-items/bc2-me/
poorness
Good stuff so far. Let's see some more. hyper
JohnLRice
This case started out like this, all MOTM plus a Future Retro sequencer, then went through many changes. It's currently full of eurorack plus a Korg MS2000R. (and the lid has folding legs in it so it can become its own table)

This started out half as half but eventually became all MU. (and a Mackie mixer and effects pedals in the lid) I'm currently thinking of not using it anymore, incorporating most of the modules into my main system and making a separate case for the mixer and pedals.
poorness
Oh wow... that bottom row would be an amazing synth on it's own. Not that the top row isn't awesome, but wow... super cool! BTW, awesome job on the power setup in the 22 space. thumbs up
Dave Peck
I have a 88 space 5U/MU system, but every once in a while I have considered downsizing to a 22 space portable (I don't think I'll ever actually do it, really). So I have spent some time thinking about how to cram the most funcionality into a Dotcom 22 portable cab that would offer a complete, self-contained east coast-ish modular for keyboard type tonal music. I wanted to come up with something that was about the size of an Arp 2600 and that had at least that much functionality. Turns our you can make a 5U/MU synth with WAY more functionality than a 2600....

Here's an example of what I came up with.
Top row:
- Three oscs, three different kinds (5U repaneled morphing terrarium wavetable osc, KRisp1/Oakly basic osc, SSL osc).
- Osc processing modules (wave folder & dual supersawtor)
- S&TG moog type mixer
- two filters (MOTM 440 - my favorite 24dB LPF, and a Oakley/Krisp1 multimode)
- Oakley/Krisp1 inverting multimix for combining filter outputs etc.

bottom row:
- Dotcom Instrument interface w/ Envelope Follower
- Oakley/Krisp1 Sample Slew, for portamento, S/H, & noise source
- SSL Quad LFO
- a couple of signal processors (S&TG triple attenuator/inverter and Dotcom signal processor)
- Multiple
- Oakley/Krisp1 phaser
- three ADSR envelopes (SSL with CV, two Oakley/Krisp1's with internal VCAs, all three with looping)
- Grove quad VCA/panner/mixer

... and since some modules in the top row are in the thinner 5U panel format, there would actually be enough room to put one more MU module in the top row. I would probably move the phaser to the top row far right and add another mixer module to the bottom row in the space where the phaser was.

One of the 2600's advantages are its plethora of mixers scattered throughout the various modules and these add a lot to the synth's verstaility. I might even want two more mixers, so maybe a custom single MU panel with two Dotcom mixers behind it, looking roughy like the S&TG mixer with six knobs.

Waddaya think?

poorness
Dave Peck wrote:
Waddaya think?

Sexy as heck! thumbs up
Dave Peck
... the one major function that a 2600 has which is missing from my idea above is a ring modulator. So I could stick a Ring Mod PCB from a dotcom RM module behind a custom multiples panel.

I have noticed that when I use a multiple, it's almost always as a 1-in-2-out, and sometimes as a 1-in-4-out, but rarely as a 1-in-3-out as is often found in various stock Multiples modules. So I could whip up a custom hi-density multiples module that has five 1-to-2 sections and a couple of 1-to-5 sections, with the ring mod in & out jacks at the bottom:

Ockeghem
I have a box11 with Sputnik modules.

Then I have a couple of portable 11 cases with odds and ends that wouldn't fit in the 88-space.

I should upload some better photos hihi Mr. Green
poorness
Great pics so far guys. Let's see some more. woah
spinach_pizza
Ockeghem wrote:
I have a box11 with Sputnik modules.

Then I have a couple of portable 11 cases with odds and ends that wouldn't fit in the 88-space.

I should upload some better photos hihi Mr. Green

Which of those cabinets is the one you hide under the bed? lol
Ockeghem
So shy am I oops (hides)
The Sputnik box11 is actually in plain sight (in a corner) hihi
The portable 11s are in the closet with old VST software boxes. Do you think I would put an expensive synth under the bed? eek!
Now if I could just unbox my new Mini this week...It's hiding under the table...
bwhittington
rkilman had a similar Sputnik Box11. Lovely concept, with a Q112 mixer built into the case. His photo, copied from elsewhere:

Ockeghem
bwhittington wrote:
rkilman had a similar Sputnik Box11. Lovely concept, with a Q112 mixer built into the case. His photo, copied from elsewhere:

Yes that is the functional equivalent of mine. Weird noises are its specialty!
I have a few more Sputnik modules in my 88 including his mixer matrix and another Function Generator.
now if I can somehow save up for Deckard's Dream...
but, where will I hide that? hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4