MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How many VCAs for a live setup?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author How many VCAs for a live setup?
Futuresound
Full disclosure, I'm not actually going to be playing in front of people. I want to create a small system separate from my other bigger rack, for capturing ideas or even full songs 'live'. My intent is to focus on beat-driven music with this case, aka 'techno'.

I have a Rytm that will be handling most drum duties, and a SEM for SEM duties. Effects will be provided by my pedals.

So I'm putting together a 6U system that can create gate patterns and melodies by itself, or with my input. It's set up as 2 voices, but with Basimilus providing a 3rd mostly-self-contained voice.

But I'm unsure how many VCAs I'll need. Is 2 from Double Andore mkII enough? Should I add 6 more from Linix?

Any thoughts on how you use VCAs live and how many you like to have would be greatly appreciated!

here's the current plan on modulargrid fwiw:

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_474658.jpg

memes_33
if it were me, i'd put a quad vca/mixer next to that quadra. intellijel, mutable blinds or veils, tangle quartet or something similar.

i tend to use my tangle as a mixer for audio stuff, then add modulation to the vcas to make things more interesting once a patch develops more.
noisejockey
For my performances with my 416hp case, I have 10 VCA channels (two ALM Tangle Quartets, great also for making submixes, and a µVCA), 2 low pass gates (Optomix), and eight channels of manual attenuation (twin quad attenuators). Sometimes I feel like I could use about 2-4 more VCAs, but they've gotten the job done.

I have one mostly-Mannequins case with only a quad attenuator, because Mangroves have their own VCAs, and in my 208hp Verbos-centric case I have six VCAs.
Futuresound
Okay, sounds like 8 channels of VCA are not overkill smile

I hadn't given much thought to in-the-case mixing, honestly. Are you guys doing your mixing all in the case? I'm planning on mixing on my outboard mixer, so that might reduce the need for mixing modules, letting me add extra attenuation and offset...
noisejockey
Futuresound wrote:
I hadn't given much thought to in-the-case mixing, honestly. Are you guys doing your mixing all in the case? I'm planning on mixing on my outboard mixer, so that might reduce the need for mixing modules, letting me add extra attenuation and offset...

Super smart question. I personally do all mixing in the modular, so your VCA mileage may vary.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1