[Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun!

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:39 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:I would dare say your initial design wasn't very well thought out John (I think you already know that). A well intended noble effort, yes. But you clearly left yourself no way of future access or changes. I'd venture to guess that many of us made (perhaps silly) mistakes in our first efforts ... I know I certainly have!
Well, to be clear it wasn't MY design, that was the way PAiA designed it and I just got the kit's and followed the instructions. :mrgreen:

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:55 am

You guys have given me a lot to think about! I think I’m going to go with th tool and make proper power cables.

I don’t know what my plans are for th Module 5-10-15 years from now, and I’d rather have more flexibility than less.
Abandon all hope, ye who wiggle.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:17 pm

Eric the Red wrote:You guys have given me a lot to think about! I think I’m going to go with th tool and make proper power cables.

I don’t know what my plans are for th Module 5-10-15 years from now, and I’d rather have more flexibility than less.
Sounds like a solid plan. Go for it. I'm glad my long winded bla bla helped you to make a clear choice one way or another. Modulars are all about choices.

:tu:
You mean this place has hot chicks, morning drinking, and free vomit? ... I'm all in!
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:06 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:I would dare say your initial design wasn't very well thought out John (I think you already know that). A well intended noble effort, yes. But you clearly left yourself no way of future access or changes. I'd venture to guess that many of us made (perhaps silly) mistakes in our first efforts ... I know I certainly have!
Well, to be clear it wasn't MY design, that was the way PAiA designed it and I just got the kit's and followed the instructions. :mrgreen:
Dang those guys! :youkids:

:lol:
You mean this place has hot chicks, morning drinking, and free vomit? ... I'm all in!
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:01 am

Slowly but surly chugging along. I started work on the super VCA Panel last weekend, and I plan on finishing it this weekend.

:vcas:

This is a bank of 10x BMC 015’s.. so 40 VCS’s. http://www.bartonmusicalcircuits.com/vcamix/

As of right now it seems excessive, and I might have to many, but I built it for possible future expansion. What started off as a 3-cabinet System has now grown into a 4th. Once I clean up the basement a bit, I’ll post a pic of the 4th cabinet, and some details around what will go in it.

Also, I fired up the old Iron and got to work on my pair of Oakley Croglins, and the Stroh Bit Station!

One step at a time.. I think I estimate it will take about 2-years to fully finish all 4 of my cabinets.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:32 pm

Just keep eatin' that elephant one bite at a time.

:driving: :headbang:

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:37 am

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:43 am

Don’t know why I couldn’t do this as one post, but oh well... here is the super panel. 10xBMC015, 4xVCA/Mix. Or 40 VCAS.. I think I have enough. I just have a little bit more work to do on the PCBs, and I need to buy 130 jacks... but this is the bottom row of the middle cabinet.

Every day I am inching closer.

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:05 am

Some of the PCBs for Cabinet 4 are on the way!
-BPM Generator
-2-4-6-8 Clock divider
-Prime number Clock divider
-3x buffered mults

These 6 modules are going to be built into a 3u strip and will function as the brain of the system. The master clock will shoot out of here, into the dividers, into the mults, and into the 14 different mini systems in the 3-main cabinets.

A few more modules from NLC will make up the est of this strip - a trio of triple sloths, and another Clock divider. Just need to wait for funds to order those.

And pictures - here is how Harald built these up, I’ll have them in my cream colored panels with orange knobs.

For those that haven’t seen his stuff: http://www.haraldswerk.de

Harald has been basing his Circuits off of the Elektor Formant modules. I also have his full Vocoder on the ToDo list.

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:21 pm

A tiny update... I am done buying PCBs. I am done buying PCBs... these things need to stop showing up at my house...

Anyway, I have created a master parts list of everything that I need for all of the PCBs that I have. I will soon be ordering 508 unique parts, and for all projects I will be soldering about 7835 components.

Between Mouser and Tayda, I’m going to have a lovely package coming :)

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Noobie wiring question... I’m about to start working my 10xBarton VCA/Mix super duper giant panel, and I need a l title bit of help.

The Switchcraft jack has 3-pins. Which one is the “tip” and which one is the “switch”. And what is the third one?

On the PCB, there is a “ground” in the top right corner - what do I wire that to? Is that what the third pin is on the jacks? Do they all get wired to this? Or do I send this to a chunk of metal in the corner of my case?

Thanks peeps!!

-Eric

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:20 pm

The connections are how they look inside, just insert a plug into the jack and it will all make sense! :tu: The sleeve is commonly called the ground lug. I would connect all of the ground lugs together with bare wire (buss wire, just thread it through all the ground lugs before soldering) and attach one wire from one of the ground lugs to the ground point on the PCB. Some manufacturers don't do this though and rely on the jacks touching the metal panel or something else. I've never built any Barton modules, I'm just assuming some things.

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Thanks John!

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Re: [Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun!

Post by Eric the Red » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:48 am

:yay: :yay: :yay:

I am back yall! It’s been about a year since my last update here, and progress on this beast has finally started up again. Picking up right where I left off last year, with these quad VCAs. Wiring started last night, and it is going to be a relaxing and slow process.

10 Quad VCAs, no panel mounted components... all flying wires. I got my feet wet last night, took a picture after I did the first wire, didn’t take any more..

I’ll see y’all later tonight with another update.

Also, I started planning a 4th and 5th cabinet, and haven’t even finished the first one yet... back to Zoom calls.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Mon May 04, 2020 11:32 pm

Inching forward one wire at a time... 4 modules done 6 to go..

Once I get the main wiring done for this half I’ll do the ground wires between jacks, flip it over and start the other half.

While working on this I broke my 3D printer like a dumb ass... waiting for parts to arrive, but once they do, more 3D printed parts will join this synth project.

-Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Tue May 05, 2020 4:20 am

wow that is pretty wild!!

Flareless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Flareless » Tue May 05, 2020 4:28 am

Nice! :tu:
Rich

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound - Neil Peart

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Thu May 07, 2020 1:16 am

Some panel designs I have been working on.
  • Klee Left/Right - These are going to be the top modules in the left cabinet. Instead of having the same panel design for both of them, I wanted them to mirror one another. This will also help to keep the patch cables out of the way as for both panels they will run down the middle of the cabinet. So far, this is the only panel that I have designed for this cabinet
  • Step Rhythm - This is going to be a fun panel to play once it is all put together. This is going to be the middle row in the middle cabinet, and there will be two of them. Each panel will have 2x Barton Rhythm Sequencers, which means there will be a total of 8 sequencers, with 8-steps each, an Analog Drum, FM Drum, (typo on the panel.. it says Analog Drum on top of both sets of knobs), and 4x Decaying Analog Noise.
  • Nonlinear Circuits Null A2 - This is an all-in-one Synth system in one panel. Some wild thing coming from Australia. Middle cabinet, top left.
  • QTLFO Panel - Right side cabinet, middle row. The QTLFO is an interesting Barton module, Quad Trapezoid LFO, and each LFO plays in order like a mini sequencer. Next to that there are 4 Quantizers,2-wave slicers, a router, and then another wave shaper
Panels left to design:
  • All the effects and other support panels that support the Klee (Left cabinet)
  • Bit Station and supporting modules (Middle cabinet, top right next to the Null A2)
  • Some random things in the right cabinet
  • Crazy Banana Random Vocoder, 6u of Eurorack...It's gonna be weird
Before getting these panels printed, I need to double check the alignment and spacing of some items.. but they are mostly good to go. I get them printed on a very durable vinyl sheet, and stick them to the aluminum. There is a photography studio that uses this to display large photos outside their studio. They have had them in place for about 10-years in weather that goes down to -20F - +110F, rain, snow, sleet, rainbows.. and it doesn't fade or wear down at all.

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Thu May 07, 2020 8:03 pm

Not related to my DIY Projrct, but here’s part of the reason for my 1year absence. About 2-years ago I decided to go back to school for an Educational Doctorate in Organizational Leadership... fast forward a bit, I was approached to write a short 20-page guide on Organizational Analysis. It was just put to print, and I received my copy of it today.

Only one year left in school until I’m Dr. Eric the Red

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Fri May 08, 2020 5:48 am

congrats!!

is the doc online anywhere? would be interesting to read

hsosdrum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Fri May 08, 2020 7:24 pm

Eric the Red wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:03 pm
Only one year left in school until I’m Dr. Eric the Red
"Eric the Red Doctor" rolls easier off the tongue. ;)

Congratulations! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat May 09, 2020 12:18 am

Sample chapter here. 6 page PDF 3 pages Authors text.
https://d22bbllmj4tvv8.cloudfront.net/c ... hapter.pdf

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Sat May 09, 2020 8:29 am

ah, thanks!

I've been in situations where there was no management training or support, could have used material like that

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Sat May 09, 2020 9:17 am

umma gumma wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:29 am
ah, thanks!

I've been in situations where there was no management training or support, could have used material like that
When I get to my computer in a bit later today, I’ll PM you one of the pre-published versions. Shhhh. Don’t tell anyone.

Return to “5U Format Modules”