MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author [Build Thread] 157 spaces of fun!
Eric the Red
It has taken about 1-year of planning, but my full DIY system has been planned out, and now I can dedicate more time to putting it all together. In total it will consist of 3-cabinets with a total of 157U available.

-Left - 17U x 3 rows
-Center - 24U x 3 rows
-Right - 17u x 3 rows. This cabinet also has space for 2-rows of euro for some of the weirdness available there, specifically Metasonix!

For the cabinets:
-I will be putting that LED Tape Light inside, and all of the yellow cells will be lite up from within, also light will shine through all of the unused jacks. Bonus points if I can get it to react to the music.

-Vertically mounted patch bays. I picked up two of these recently, and I was racking my brain on where to put them.. vertically mounted between TJ cabinets was the best idea and that is where they will live.

-Yellow cell strategic placement: in the middle cabinet, they were strategically placed between different Sequencer type "mini Systems"

As I build up the modules, I'll also be building up the cabinets and tables for everything to live on. Everything here is going to be DIY

For the modules, I have a wide array of boards from different designers:
-Barton Musical Circuits
-Chris Lee
-Horstronic (euro, but can run on +-15v)
-J3rk - super excited to build that bit station
-Klee!! Circle jerk fun will be had there
-Lord of the Wah Wah wah
-Melon Farmer - or _________ I forgot the name and who I got this from, but it looks exciting
-NonLinear Circuits Null A (euro, but can run on +- 15v), this is a sick ass Module and is like a Swiss army bag of swords.
-Oakley!!
-Yusynth

Are there some key modules that I need to put in this system? Yes - where are th multiples!!??

Do I need more VCAs? Are about 45 enough!!!

Stay tuned to see lots of detailed pictures and my thoughts along the way as I start building everything. I have a few things almost done, 10000 panels to design and make, and some new tools to finish building and buying!

I eagerly anticipate your feedback, encouragement and constructive criticism as I build this beast.

Stay tuned. And let's do this!![/img]
ualslosar
Leave some room for a little expansion...

Eric the Red
ualslosar - in the synth cockpit I'm building. The DIY will be in front, a mixer / rack gear will be on one side, and an 88-key keyboard with 2-box 11's wil be set up.

I still have 1 more side before I'm fully closed on, and I can easily expand to 10 more Box 11's... where is that credit card again??
AlanP
Eric the Red wrote:
For the cabinets:
-I will be putting that LED Tape Light inside, and all of the yellow cells will be lite up from within, also light will shine through all of the unused jacks. Bonus points if I can get it to react to the music.

Google "colour organ" -- they were huge, decades ago.
coyoteous
Eric the Red: Build on!

ualslosar: Wow...
cornutt
That's a pretty kick-ass setup. Looking forward to some construction photos. I'm hoping to start on a case of my own pretty soon.
Eric the Red
I took some photos last night, need to post my update soon.
-the two Barton drum Systems, I have the boards all populated - I just need to make panels
-I am currently building the 10 B!C-015's. Those are quad mixer VCA's. These will act as my main outputs to the entire system.

-Eric
JohnLRice
coyoteous wrote:
Eric the Red: Build on!

ualslosar: Wow...

+1 eek! screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! w00t love thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
Subbed .... thumbs up
DrReverendSeance
Quote:

Melon Farmer - or _________ I forgot the name and who I got this from, but it looks exciting

Melon Farmer is from fellow Wiggler Satindas, here is the thread for more info https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162519&highlight=
Eric the Red
Rex Coil 7 - Thanks!!

DrReverendSeance - Thanks! As I play around with the CNC Mill, I might engrave everyone's name on the side of the racks whom I purchased Boards from. Who knows!

Since I last posted:
-I ordered a crazy amount of components for a lot of the projects
-Starting up another shopping list for components I forgot to order and for another project - the NGF Vocoder
-Priced out a lot of aluminum for all of the front panels - shipped, it is $250. Not bad for 157U! That's $1.59 / U
--After drilling holes, I am going to do the paper/clear coat method panels.

Here is the status so far: mostly working on items in the middle cabinet first:

-The boards for the 2-Barton Drum systems are 99% done - there was 1-missing component on a few of the boards that arrived in my last shipment. Just need to solder it up, and create the panels.

-The boards for the 10 BMC-015,s are 85% done, just missing a few components and need to create the panels.

-Boards for 1-Klee has been fully populated. Just need to design the panel, and purchase enough wire for a small apartment...Also need to get that "Wire insertion tool". I find it crazy that I can't find one for under $30 for a molded piece of plastic with a funny tip..

-Currently working on the Barton BMC-016 - Quantizer. Well, 10 of them... don't know why I bought 10 boards. I got this before I found the Clee Quantizer. Oh well, I'll use the leftover 5 in my next 156U set of cabinets? Sounds crazy now, but when I am done building all of this, I know I am going to want to get more.. because More is better than lesss?

One of those fancy board holders/3rd hands was a recent purchase along with smaller tips for the iron, all in all, I am moving slow and steady. I think by December I'll probably have my first finished set of modules

I'm not working tomorrow, so I'll probably be hanging out with the soldering station all day.

-Eri
Rex Coil 7
I am WAY interested in your project here. In ways you and I have some things in common (mill, lathe, desire, passion, love of aluminum stuff and metalworking). However my shop is still 100% manual ... no CNC (yet!).

Without a doubt our two projects are on different planes. Mine is essentially seeing how far I can go with a roll of duct tape and bailing wire with "Home Depot" type hardware stores used as a primary source of materials, and your project is an exercise in precision and taste.

we're not worthy

I simply cannot wait to see what you put out!! I'm also hoping to learn from you along the way. I really love these ongoing construction journals!

I just wish I had your ambition!!!! thumbs up

Give it hell, Eric!
Eric the Red
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I am WAY interested in your project here. In ways you and I have some things in common (mill, lathe, desire, passion, love of aluminum stuff and metalworking). However my shop is still 100% manual ... no CNC (yet!).

Without a doubt our two projects are on different planes. Mine is essentially seeing how far I can go with a roll of duct tape and bailing wire with "Home Depot" type hardware stores used as a primary source of materials, and your project is an exercise in precision and taste.

we're not worthy

I simply cannot wait to see what you put out!! I'm also hoping to learn from you along the way. I really love these ongoing construction journals!

I just wish I had your ambition!!!! thumbs up

Give it hell, Eric!

I wish there were more of these type things here on Muffs. There are a few in the Euroland, but mostly "here is what I am buying and using...update in 2-months... sold everything and started fresh"

I got a nice payday bonus early in the summer with some freelance work and changed jobs - so I treated myself to a nice gift (CNC). This thing is a beast to build in itself - I got it from Inventables. It came in 7-boxes while I was at work, and my wife had the misfortune of bringing everything inside. That thing is harder to put together than DIY modules.

This has been something I have wanted to do since I first heard the Clockwork Orange soundtrack and saw how the music was made. At the Henry Ford museum here in Detroit, they have the first ever Moog prototype on display.

Rex Coil 7
Those patchbays ... will you be posting pics of those?

And I'm going to have to insist that you show some ambition here, this is such an easy project ....

meh Mr. Green eek!

Kidding of course. Just wow.

thumbs up

Glad to see you're acknowledging the need for at least some Euro. There's just some stuff in Euro that MU simply does not offer.

And your cabs ... full DIY or are you using some prefab cabs?

Also ... power system?
Eric the Red
Cabs: full DIY
Power: Dotcom - haven't even thought of the euro part yet, bull will probably
call up Mr. Hinton for that as everything in the euro world looks flimsy.

Pay day is Wednesday and Thursday this week - I am ordering aluminum for all the 5U panels.

Next Wednesday, I have the day off work so I'll be buying most of the wood needed to make up the cabs.

Other than that, my mom picket up another one of those component sorter drawer things for me as a gift so I need to reorganize the DIY area.
Flareless
Very ambitious and cool looking project Eric. Thanks for sharing and please keep us posted.

If I might make one suggestion; consider the Deep Equinoxe over the standard Oakley Equinoxe. The build is not much more difficult and doesn't require any extra rack space. The difference in sound quality is incredible.

I originally built myself a standard Equinoxe but after building a few Deep versions for others I converted mine and could not been more pleased with the upgrade.
Eric the Red
@Flareless - thanks for the tip! I should just build both and see which one I like more.

After I build this 157 space monster, I am probably going to want to do it again... who knows what kind of modules I'll have by then.

I feel like if I could start building as fast as you, I could have this thing done in about 3-months.
krisp14u
Eric the Red wrote:
@Flareless - thanks for the tip! I should just build both and see which one I like more.

No need to build both just build the Deep Equinoxe and switch to Norm for the Equinoxe and Deep for well the Deep Equionoxe hihi

Excellent looking project by the way
Flareless
krisp14u wrote:
No need to build both just build the Deep Equinoxe and switch to Norm for the Equinoxe and Deep for well the Deep Equionoxe

Excellent point!

I would just go for broke and go with the "Deep" right from the start. For one thing it will save you having to re-drill the panel (not to mention re-screen) to support the two toggle switches used by the Deep Equinoxe.

I'd also like to suggest replacing the jumper which selects Inverted versus normal LFO output with a toggle switch. If you decide mid-way through a patch that you'd like to invert the LFO output it is far easier to flip a switch than to remove the module, change a jumper and re-install the module in the rack.

Plus everything looks cooler with more switches It's peanut butter jelly time!
Rex Coil 7
Eric the Red wrote:
Cabs: full DIY
Power: Dotcom - haven't even thought of the euro part yet, bull will probably
call up Mr. Hinton for that as everything in the euro world looks flimsy.
Good call. thumbs up Everything in Euro seems substandard to me as well. I'm using "flimsy" stuff for the moment because I'm still working out what I want to end up with in my Euro cab. Once more or less settled on what's going in the controller/modulation cab (my Euro stuff) I'll commit to putting together a power distribution system that lives up to the rest of the setup. "Custom" ... all the way!

I'll also be uprating my Dot Com power distribution system as well, the rat's nest Dot Com QDH20 system is getting me by but it just seems so ... I don't know ... ~sufficient~ as opposed to ~optimal~.

Hmm .. that sounds bad, I'm not slamming Roger's offerings, it simply seems that since I've built my own cab, making my own normaling setup, and have given myself a lot of design flexibilty as far as mechanical engineering the whole lot goes that for me to NOT address cleaning up the power distribution setup feels lazy and somewhat "good enough" or "half assed".

If I wanted "good enough" I would have NEVER taken on designing and building my own take on a performance mono-synth and simply bought something prefabbed. With designing one's own modular system we as builders have the opportunity to employ the best options available. Not doing so seems sortof lazy or perhaps "uncommitted" to the project's potential.
Rex Coil 7
Oh man ... the Oakley Deep Equinox looks a treat! Heheh .... the ~Deepquinox~

http://www.oakleysound.com/deep.htm

Dumb noob question though .... does it have to go post-output VCA or does it process fully blown VCO "synth level" outputs? I couldn't work that out from the info on the module's web page.

I have owned a few Nord Modular (+variants) and I know that placing a phaser between slave/master VCOs in an FM configuration produces some really wild ass sounds in those units. I've often been curious about how that would work out in a hardware synth.

That said, I picture placing the Deep Equinox between two FM'd (aka; Cross Modulated?) VCOs, phase shifting the audio signal that goes in to the other VCO's FM input.

Seems like fun!
Eric the Red
Because I am a bit of a loon, I also want to make all of my own patch cables... because the cabinets, panels, and modules isn't enough for me... oy. I have issues.

Is this all that I need to make them:
--Cable: https://www.performanceaudio.com/item/canare-gs-6-guitar-keyboard-and- instrument-cable-orange/54940/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh5nKwtiB1gIVgTVpCh2-E AIsEAQYAiABEgK4O_D_BwE

Jack: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/REAN-Neutrik/NYS207/?qs=sGAEpiMZZM tUKTCHc2CNRMeXFvjPG6RF
**updated for Mono jacks.

Probably need some heat shrink as well...

Thanks in advance.

Eric
Rex Coil 7
Eric the Red wrote:
Because I am a bit of a loon, I also want to make all of my own patch cables... because the cabinets, panels, and modules isn't enough for me... oy. I have issues.

Is this all that I need to make them:
--Cable: https://www.performanceaudio.com/item/canare-gs-6-guitar-keyboard-and- instrument-cable-orange/54940/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh5nKwtiB1gIVgTVpCh2-E AIsEAQYAiABEgK4O_D_BwE

Jack: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/REAN-Neutrik/NYS208-U/?qs=sGAEpiMZ ZMv0W4pxf2HiVyu0UZNzwMHSnEazeNK4Q1c%3d

Probably need some heat shrink as well...

Thanks in advance.

Eric
I have a few of those Neutrik right angle plugs, I was concerned about their overall width (in other words can two or more ~fit~ in close quarters next to one another). With jack spacing of 0.750" they fit next to each other just fine. Your buck standard Q106 VCO has jack spacing of 0.750", so no problems there.

However if some other modules have jack spacing less than 0.750" you may run in to issues.

I just now took a set of dial calipers to both jacks, Switchcraft right angle plug measure at 0.500", the Neutrik plug measured at 0.600" ... a 10th of an inch difference in width.

I also just snapped a couple of images to illustrate the point. Here's a comparison between the "plain old" 1/4" Switchcraft #11 open frame TS (tip-sleeve) jack used on very early Dot Com modules before a decision was made to use different jacks .........

And the venerable Switchcraft #111PCX box frame 1/4" TS jack which is highly popular due to it's smooth operation and reduced rear panel real estate (this is the most commonly seen jack on later Dot Com modules) .....

Since the Switchcraft 111PCX is a bit less wide you may be tempted to crowd them together (tighter than 0.750" center to center) on a given DIY module to increase component density ... so be certain to check the clearance needed to adopt the Neutrik right angle jacks.

Lastly, the part number you provided is for a Tip/Ring/Sleeve (TRS .. aka "stereo") plug. That having been said, is there some reason you've elected to use those instead of Tip/Sleeve (TS .. aka "mono")? Just curious ... it makes me think you have some tricked out plan! cool

That is all. Transmission complete, RC7 out.

thumbs up
thresholdpeople
I made all my own cables for my studio, -- Amphenol makes real nice 1/4" connectors, the mid tier ones are like 1.20/ea, and assemble pretty easily, and are very nice.

I also personally like Mogami cable over Canare, and for less fancy stuff, Redco makes their own, good, cable too, appropraitely named The Good Stuff: https://www.redco.com/Redco-Instrument-Cable/.
DrReverendSeance
I've built cables using the Rean plugs you linked to, I didn't like them because the boot was not closed to dust.

I prefer these for 90 degree because of the better strain relief and boot: http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/px-series/np2rx

There are also different coloured boots available which is a nice touch. http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/plug-accessories/bpx

Any particular reason you want to go 90 degree? I've found 90 degrees cables get in the way while patching. Just MHO.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3