MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Multitracking? With clicktrack? Experiences?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Multitracking? With clicktrack? Experiences?
Dob
I've been on this spot before: I've got a modular with which I can do all kind of beautiful, crazy stuff. It's got all the modules I need. (Yeah right!)

Anyway... I tend to start to think: I need a drumbox next to it. And a sampler. And a sequencer maybe. Get a midi-to-cv module in my modular. But anytime I buy something to go "next to" it, I tend to sell the thing within a month. I really want to stay in the modular domain and mindset when doing music and sounds.

In some ways, I had to get used to the modular concept a long time, and thought things where pretty limited on the interface side... coming from midi. Now I'm always experiencing how limited anything non-modular is... how you mostly need to do what others have thought out for you beforehand.

Ok I'm sidetracking... the thing is, recently I was thinking about using the modular "with my modular" by multitracking it with a clicktrack. I don't have a multitracker yet, but I'm growing fond of the idea; recording a clicktrack that contains pulses, which I can playback during recording, so anything needing to be in sync can be, and using that to record multiple tracks from the modular. I.e. first a beat/rhythm/repeating thing, then a melody, then some odd sounds,... maybe some frozen loops with Clouds... heck maybe I'll even improvise on a kalimba... add some found sounds.
I've got a lot of modules that would be able to handle a static clicktrack, that's the main source of sync in most of my patches anyway; a fast trigger that goes into trigger dividers->trigger sequencers.

My modular is just not big enough to do everything at once, and I don't think it needs to be. Then it would need to grow 4 times as big.

Does anyone have experience doing it this way? I really never used multitracking before. I used to record everything in one go, pre-modular.
I can imagine it is hard to get everything in sync at track start?

And, also... what is a good quality multitrack device? Soundwise, build quality and easy-of-use? Of course, I need to be able to send out the clicktrack without hearing it... I guess I need 2 out busses? Or a main and a monitor out?
Tape would be cool... soundwise. Although maybe a little unpractical. Would a clicktrack recorded on tape be 'clean' enough to be used as trigger input back to the modular?

I see a lot of standalone, not-too-expensive harddisk-based devices on the secondhand market. Are these any good? I guess because DAW's have taken over... but I really want to steer clear of any DAWs. (As a software developer I use my share of keyboard/mouse/screen already at work, and mostly my inspiration dies when looking at a screen)
revtor
I think the Zoom R16 can send individual tracks out of the headphone out, so you could route that track to your modular and not hear it in the mix.
Sleipnir
Giorgio Moroder did it with tape just as you describe for 'I feel love'.
Click track as clock (with a good signal boost).
It's my understanding that nobody had done such a thing before.

As you said, will have to work on syncing the beginning. Probably best to work in some "pre roll".
If you're gonna go with tape, be sure to have the clock track next to another percussion track on the tape, to help mask any bleed.
big job head
If you just want to record, you really should think twice about DAW's.

I understand why you want to stay away from them to make music. As a sound editor/sound designer working on pro tools all day i also try to steer clear from DAW's not to kill inspiration.

But when it comes to multitracking you can't beat them. with a decent template you only have to look at the screen to arm your tracks and hit record. That's it.
On top of that most daw have very usefull tools like loop recording, overdubs, dedicated clic tracks, preroll, prerec, you name it.

And if you want to edit/mix your tracks, everything is much faster in a DAW.
flx
revtor wrote:
I think the Zoom R16 can send individual tracks out of the headphone out, so you could route that track to your modular and not hear it in the mix.

Yes! That's how I do it and it works really well thumbs up You don't even need to record a click track as you can route the built in metronome to the headphone out.
Dob
No... DAWs wil not be considered. I will more probably invest in stuff to accompany my modular to do things in one take after all.

I don't think a beepy metronome that's supposed to be followed by mere mortals will make modular clocks tick? I probably need a clean short pulse. I was thinking about recording a fast clock and divide it to whatever I need for the track at hand.

So nobody would actually recommend harddisk based multitrack systems?
These don't inspire as much as their tape based counterparts?
There are some minidisk based machines around?
revtor
Why hard disk over sd card / flash memory?? Minidisk, really? Why?

I'd recommend the unit with the fewest moving parts to fail, that fits your needs.
Dob
revtor wrote:
Why hard disk over sd card / flash memory?? Minidisk, really? Why?

I'd recommend the unit with the fewest moving parts to fail, that fits your needs.

I hear you. I just see the HD ones go for little money... I'm on a budget.
flx
Dob wrote:

I don't think a beepy metronome that's supposed to be followed by mere mortals will make modular clocks tick? I probably need a clean short pulse.

Well, my modular seems to do just fine with following the R16 metronome seriously, i just don't get it
Dob
cool cool
calaveras
aww fuck, my H4N just died. Now I either have to move the DAW to the modular, or move the modular to the DAW.
How does an SD card recorder just stop working?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1