MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

KarnEvil9 end sequence...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author KarnEvil9 end sequence...
noddyspuncture
Hi guys,

Here is the "live" version of ELP's KE9 end sequence I was messing with today...

ualslosar
Sounds like you nailed it...Great work.

- How did you do this with using only one sequencer? All the video I've seen use 2 sequencers in for this ending, no?

Regards
Larry
Eric the Red
I enjoyed this very much. Thanks. Can you post some details on how you did this?

Thanks!
Dave Peck
Sounds great! But I gotta nit pick - There was a lot less filter resonance in the original. Turn that down a bit and you've got it. Also I think the first note should actually be a half step higher, on the root, rather than on the major 7th, shouldn't it?
JohnLRice
w00t
noddyspuncture
I wasn't attempting to copy each and every nuance... Emo had quite a bit of 'noise' (which I left out) dialled in on the live version - the studio version is actually quite different in the melody - I was just messing with it really. Who knows how much resonance he might have had set on other gigs, not just the one on the "Welcome Back..." album? I assume it was probably slightly different every time..?
noddyspuncture
ualslosar wrote:
Sounds like you nailed it...Great work.

- How did you do this with using only one sequencer? All the video I've seen use 2 sequencers in for this ending, no?

Regards
Larry

It's a 24 step sequence... Keith once sent me his hand written notes for it... cool
Dave Peck
I always wondered how the sequencer rate was controlled live. Do you know if Keith used the ribbon to do this? Looks like fun!
noddyspuncture
Dave Peck wrote:
I always wondered how the sequencer rate was controlled live. Do you know if Keith used the ribbon to do this? Looks like fun!

Not sure... we never discussed it... another question I would have asked him, but unfortunately it's now too late... waah

I do know it was done remotely though and can ask others. I am friendly with ELP roadies from back then who might know.

The speed control is pretty easy as there is a voltage control input on the 960 for oscillator rate so any custom interface could have been knocked up..!
noddyspuncture
Dave Peck wrote:

Dave, I now have it on good authority that Keith did indeed use his ribbon controller to speed up the KE9 end sequence... I never knew that, it just seemed logical to grab the ribbon and patch it up...! cool

Cheerz,
Tom
toobdude
[quote="noddyspuncture"]Hi guys,

Here is the "live" version of ELP's KE9 end sequence I was messing with today...

You left out the explosion!
noddyspuncture
[quote="toobdude"]
noddyspuncture wrote:
Hi guys,

I also left out all the track leading up to it... I left it all to your imagination...smile
JohnLRice
toobdude wrote:
A friend said that when he saw ELP in '74 most of the explosion was simply the crew turning off all the power to the PA system, or something like that?
Gizmo
My recollection from c. 1974 concerts was a bright flash timed with the explosion sound. Smoke? - I think so, but this might be clouded memory. And I recall that the band including Keith were gone from the stage by that time. Because of that I had simply assumed that the sequencer rate was driven by an unattended increasing voltage (e.g., an EG or very slowly rising oscillator ramp, not the ribbon controller). FWIW.
dslocum
WHAT? No evil dragon wings?

Love this Mate. Thanks! One of my favorite albums of all time. You have done it justice!
umma gumma
that was pretty neat!!

thanks for posting

fascinating stuff

screaming goo yo
ualslosar
So how does one "patch" the sound of an explosion ? (think ELP's first album where the explosion occurs between "The Three Fates" & "Tank").

Thanks
Larry
Dave Peck
ualslosar wrote:
So how does one "patch" the sound of an explosion ? (think ELP's first album where the explosion occurs between "The Three Fates" & "Tank").

Thanks
Larry

Pink noise through some kind of overdrive/distortion works really well. And it doesn't really take much distortion. If you don't have a dedicated overdrive/distortion module, then sending the pink noise through a distorting filter with some filter feedback also works.
gregae
ualslosar wrote:

That one always sounded to me like someone knocked over a drum set (closely mic'd) and added some reverb. A real explosion doesn't sound much like that at all (at least by Mythbuster TV standards) you kids get off my lawn
ualslosar
The ending to Pink Floyd's "On The Run" also springs to mind a synthetic explosion, if I remember correctly...
JohnLRice
And the very end of this Kansas song has a synthetic explosion (at 11:47). It could be filtered white noise but I think it could be lots of reverb on a door slammed or something dropped in a warehouse and then slowed down to half speed?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1