MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone have a Monome?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Anyone have a Monome?
dkcg
How do you like using it with analog gear (through midi)?
I have an opportunity to get one, and was thinking about if anyone's using one with their modular.
pheops
if you can get one, don't hesitate!
i built one of the first custom monomes, a 8x16...and also have a 64. not only are they amazingly versatile instruments (tons of user-contributed apps), the maker operates the business with a sustainable model...results in low supply, but each monome is coming with a lot of intention, local manufacturing, walnut from close-by groves, etc etc...kind of like an electronic hang drum.

stretta's applications with midi out cover everything from standard step sequencing type midi messages, to much more chaotic and random sequencing techniques that really lend themselves to new creative inspiration. check out his videos:

http://www.vimeo.com/stretta

when my kenton gets here tomorrow, my monome is the first thing i'm hooking up to my modules, not a keyboard.

ok ok, i love my monome.
felix
sandy does I think. Someone on here does, I've seen pictures!

Stretta! Welcome to the board!
dkcg
pheops wrote:
if you can get one, don't hesitate!
i built one of the first custom monomes, a 8x16...and also have a 64. not only are they amazingly versatile instruments (tons of user-contributed apps), the maker operates the business with a sustainable model...results in low supply, but each monome is coming with a lot of intention, local manufacturing, walnut from close-by groves, etc etc...kind of like an electronic hang drum.

stretta's applications with midi out cover everything from standard step sequencing type midi messages, to much more chaotic and random sequencing techniques that really lend themselves to new creative inspiration. check out his videos:

http://www.vimeo.com/stretta

when my kenton gets here tomorrow, my monome is the first thing i'm hooking up to my modules, not a keyboard.

ok ok, i love my monome.

Well, looks like I can't pass it up since they are pretty limited, and even in more demand than any synth module. I signed up on a waiting list almost a year ago, forgot about it, and I have two days to decide if I want the 64 monome or not. I watched a few videos, got reminded how damn cool they are, and so much more usable than a tenori. I'll be placing the order tonight or tomorrow. If I don't like it, which I doubt since I am a Maxer, I can always sell it and probably get what I paid back easily.

Expect some Monome modular videos in the next few weeks people. SlayerBadger!
There goes my AFG... lol
dkcg
I just watched one of Stretta's monome videos. Holy shilznits! This thing looks like it could be a bridge between Max and the modular as well. Definitely getting it after watching more videos.
felix
Oh, you're on the waiting list?! Definitely get it!! Even if you don't want it, you'll have no trouble getting rid of it.

Buying a monome is practically like investing in gold right now.
dkcg
I just bought me some gold, placed an order, so only bad luck between me and a monome now. I didn't realize they were still the rage. I had forgotten how cool they are and resigned myself from getting one since I thought they were impossible to get. I thought I didn't make it in the list, I was expecting an order confirmation months ago, so this was a surprise. I've spend beyond what I planned on spending this month with this tho, top ramen and toast, here I come! But at least it's not gonna be worthless the moment I open the box. smile

This is gonna be fun...I was thinking about drum machines, I've been aching for a Jomox 888 or the Machinedrum, but I think my computer and the Monome is a good drum machine replacement for now, and even though the monome is east coast made, my synth rig will be even more west coasty. Howver, I can't really justify getting much more shit without making something at least half serious, like an EP or some finished songs. The monome will help me serious up so I can become a rockstar. SlayerBadger! lol
pheops
oh, i'm not stretta, just a stretta fan...
his apps make a monome worth having, they're all free, and there's always more coming.
sandyb
i have one - a 64

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1015

haven't got much further with it yet as i'm waiting for a MOTM 650 midi-cv unit

sandy
dougcl
I love the idea of a monome, but I think it is simply a computer I/O device consisting of switches and lights. I don't want a computer involved every time I want to use it. If it just had a midi out I would have been sold a long time ago. Perhaps I am mistaken about this though. It's enough to make me want to build a little device with midi and USB to act as go-between. Perhaps someone has done this already.
dkcg
dougcl wrote:
I love the idea of a monome, but I think it is simply a computer I/O device consisting of switches and lights. I don't want a computer involved every time I want to use it. If it just had a midi out I would have been sold a long time ago. Perhaps I am mistaken about this though. It's enough to make me want to build a little device with midi and USB to act as go-between. Perhaps someone has done this already.

If I had the money and didn't vow to buy computers I really don't NEED, i would love the Cynthia MacMini module to run the monome and Max w/o an outboard computer. lol

I think I've gone full circle from getting into modular to avoid the computer to soon needing the computer to do some things on the modular.

It's more than the box with the switches and blinky lights for me, it will be a way to make MaxMSP much more tactile and interactive than a mouse. All 11 of my fingers hitting the buttons. Only thing better would be a Lemur, as far as interface goes.
dkcg
sandyb wrote:
i have one - a 64

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1015

haven't got much further with it yet as i'm waiting for a MOTM 650 midi-cv unit

sandy

Nice! This thing is gonna suck up midi channels for the modular...
dougcl
dkcg wrote:
Cynthia MacMini module to run the monome and Max w/o an outboard computer.

Oh boy, that would do it, wouldn't it? Hmmm.
haricots
I just got mine this week! I've tried to purchase one a few times but never made it on time. I'm glad they went with a list this time.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the thing but so far I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm not terribly interested in the sample based patches but the sequencing ones are very cool. Can any monome users point me in the right direction for some nice sequencer patches for the monome?

(and the thing is a piece of art - so beautiful!)
22tape
haricots wrote:
Can any monome users point me in the right direction for some nice sequencer patches for the monome?

monome's website is the best place to pick up apps for it.

i miss mine. i had to sell it to get home from ireland waah

i'm on the waiting list for a 64 kit. can't wait!

if anyone is interested, allow me to shamelessly plug my Computer Music Journal reveiw of the monome!

http://204.151.38.11/cmj/reviews/31-3/dunne-monome.html
pheops
polygome
http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:polygome

and presscafe
http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:press_cafe

are great creative sequencing apps (runtime max/msp)
sandyb
also try flin

http://docs.monome.org/doku.php?id=app:flin

sandy
J.w.M.
I got to demo Polygome the other day. Man-- I'm really impressed. I'm kind of lusting after a monome now, and am looking at this CalArts-associated project (http://bricktable.wordpress.com/30/) as a way to cut the costs down a little bit.
parasitk
I'm making an Arduinome at some point. The enclosures from http://news.machinecollective.org/ are quite nice looking.
goiks
i'm new here (hello), but not to the monome community. i have a 128, and built a 40h kit. i have more ideas for apps than i have time to spend using and writing them. now for an osc to cv box... anyone?
dkcg
I get it next week sometime... SlayerBadger!
I was hoping to have it for the weekend, but I think I can wait one more week, considering I originally forgot I was even on the waiting list. lol
I can't wait to get it sequencing the modular! love
dkcg
goikem wrote:
i'm new here (hello), but not to the monome community. i have a 128, and built a 40h kit. i have more ideas for apps than i have time to spend using and writing them. now for an osc to cv box... anyone?

I'd be interested in an OSC to CV box. MIDI really needs to either go away or get a huge update, OSC seems the closest thing to a MIDI update.
I looked for any digital (mainly MaxMSP) to CV converter, gave up hope. The closest thing I've found is ending low frequencies directly out of a MOTU 828MK2 (which is technically faster than MIDI, but not the best resolution. That would be so awesome if someone made a CV interface. I'm sure they'd sell hundreds, maybe thousands. smile
parasitk
dkcg wrote:
goikem wrote:

I'd be interested in an OSC to CV box. MIDI really needs to either go away or get a huge update, OSC seems the closest thing to a MIDI update.
I looked for any digital (mainly MaxMSP) to CV converter, gave up hope. The closest thing I've found is ending low frequencies directly out of a MOTU 828MK2 (which is technically faster than MIDI, but not the best resolution. That would be so awesome if someone made a CV interface. I'm sure they'd sell hundreds, maybe thousands. smile

YES YES YES. OSC to CV would be so awesome. I don't understand why no one is jumping on this. MIDI sucks, let's move forward already!
sandyb
computer to CV: i have a friend who works for the arduino people. he reckons it is most certainly doable although not just with an arduino alone due to it only being able to handle 0-5V.
wetterberg
sandyb wrote:
computer to CV: i have a friend who works for the arduino people. he reckons it is most certainly doable although not just with an arduino alone due to it only being able to handle 0-5V.
yeah, that's what people are saying. The problem is a bit more complex than that, though: we want something fast and high resolution - at the very least 12-bit. and yeah, we'd need 10Vpp.

That makes the requirements a bit more like those of a reall really loud audio interface than of an arduino...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2