MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VCF-74 out of stock, but new MK2 version being manufactured
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author VCF-74 out of stock, but new MK2 version being manufactured
vintagesynthlab
Hello,

Individuals and dealers have both been inquiring about availability of our VCF-74 filter module. This module has been sold out (of the initial manufacturing contract / production run). We are moving on to a new version and calling it VCF-74 MK2 due to a number of changes, which are:

1. The faceplate will look exactly the same, except the addition of "MK2" nomenclature screen printed.

2. The audio signal path will have slightly lower frequency response as a result of component value changes.

3. The audio signal path will now use fewer coupling capacitors (reduced slewing in audio path).

4. Added additional buffer circuits at the input and final filter-to-output stage (which will improve performance)

5. Added calibration trim-pots for resonance control.

6. Revised "local" power supply filtering scheme to improve PSR for the discrete (Class-A) filter stages.

7. Added ESD protection (ESD suppressor diodes) to each front panel jack.

8. Changed power inlet header from 16P to 10P.

How different is the MK2 overall compared to the MK1?
Not so much as to disturb the original diode-ring filter topology's characteristics, but a remarkable improvement such that both William (of VSL) and I both noticed an improved attack (due to less slewing), and slightly lower, yet noticeable frequency response. Overall, not a huge departure from the MK1, as the MK1 has many audio/video examples of its wonderful sonic character documented on our YouTube channel, and of course with mylarmelodies (Alex) as a thorough and proper review.

When will the VCF-74 MK2 be available?
We are currently at the final "review" stages of manufacturing for this new design. So it will take some time to get these built. I don't have any solid dates yet, but my best guess is that modules will be shipping in late September or early October of this year.
esko997
Thanks for the heads up, have the VCF-74 on my 'must buy' list.

grin applause
MARK27
Okay, first - I just bought a VCF-74. Now there will be a new one?!

Doh!
d'oh!

But seriously - congratulations on a successful filter. As an owner, I love mine.

The one suggestion I might make is to consider offering silver AND black panel options. I think the silver panel people were bummed at how much black was on the design, while the black panel people were bummed that there was so much silver on an otherwise beautiful black panel.

I look forward to having to figure out whether or not to trade up!
Rockin' Banana!
lootacow
If anyone would like to sell their mk1 wink
vintagesynthlab
MARK27 wrote:
Okay, first - I just bought a VCF-74. Now there will be a new one?!

Doh!
d'oh!

I apologize for the MK2 revision just after your acquisition of an MK1. This was a discussion that we (at VSL) had that was not an easy one to decide on. However, I really wanted to dig deeper and tweak the circuit after having had them in my rack for so long.

MARK27 wrote:
But seriously - congratulations on a successful filter. As an owner, I love mine.

Thank you!

MARK27 wrote:
The one suggestion I might make is to consider offering silver AND black panel options. I think the silver panel people were bummed at how much black was on the design, while the black panel people were bummed that there was so much silver on an otherwise beautiful black panel.

This was a tough one for us. Personally, I would have preferred black against white (versus against natural aluminum). But you bring up a good point. I will talk with Will of VSL and our manufacturer to see if this is something that might be an option we want to pursue.

MARK27 wrote:
I look forward to having to figure out whether or not to trade up!
Rockin' Banana!

Hard to say, but I will suggest that the two are not radically different. But again, those subtle difference are still ....well, differences.
jujisolo
I can't wait to preorder smile
Klangzaun
Wow, I like the MK 1 already quite much...
MARK27
The one thing I think we would all like to see/hear, is some sort of demonstration of this "extended low frequency response."

At some point, it would be great if you could post a sound file, along with scope/meter/graph whatever that shows what the difference is.

I'm interested to know if the difference in low frequency response will, for instance, change how the filter works as a CV processor.

Also curious if there will be a difference in price, but it probably wouldn't affect my decision one way or another.

Thanks for all your work!

Mark
vintagesynthlab
MARK27 wrote:
The one thing I think we would all like to see/hear, is some sort of demonstration of this "extended low frequency response."

At some point, it would be great if you could post a sound file, along with scope/meter/graph whatever that shows what the difference is.

I'm interested to know if the difference in low frequency response will, for instance, change how the filter works as a CV processor.

Also curious if there will be a difference in price, but it probably wouldn't affect my decision one way or another.

Thanks for all your work!

Mark

Hi Mark,
Thanks.

Yes, I do have some preliminary documentation on incremental changes and experiments using SignalScope Pro, via my Quartet audio interface. But these are mostly evaluation of the power supply filter changes. As for the signal path (reduced number of capacitors, increased value of capacitance), there will be a lower frequency response and less slewing. I did also take some measurements with those changes, but would rather have a more thoroughly apples-to-apples comparison where all X and Y scales with time-based (oscilloscope), or frequency-based (FFT) are matched.

That said, I do plan on taking the final product of the new VCF-74 Mk2 (as manufactured by DarkPlace MFG), and an original, unmodified VCF-74 and take scope screen shots, FFTs, etc. I'd be happy to share that, but again, only when I have a production VCF-74 Mk2 on the test bench, not my prototype unit.

-Eric
vintagesynthlab
An update on progress with manufacturing:

Our manufacturer (here in Portland) told me that the VCF-74 Mk2 is likely to be in the final stages of hand assembly during the last week of August.

However, since things never go as planned (with any manufacturing process!), I would suggest that the new VCF-74 Mk2 would probably be shipping to dealers during the second week of September, assuming no problems occur.
vintagesynthlab
Update on progress with manufacturing: (5-Sept-2017)

The VCF-74 Mk2 modules are waiting for the faceplates (which are about two weeks late). This means that the first modules batch will likely be ready to ship to dealers around the 3rd week of September.
MARK27
You know we would all love to see some pictures of the new design!
whinger
I'm probably too late to weigh in on the faceplate, but I would love the option of a predominantly silver face with black accents.

I'm buying one regardless and am ridiculously excited to finally get one. Thanks!
matttech
vintagesynthlab wrote:
Update on progress with manufacturing: (5-Sept-2017)

The VCF-74 Mk2 modules are waiting for the faceplates (which are about two weeks late). This means that the first modules batch will likely be ready to ship to dealers around the 3rd week of September.

Good stuff! nanners
vintagesynthlab
MARK27 wrote:
You know we would all love to see some pictures of the new design!

Hi Mark, our graphics guy is working on coming up with an export from A.I., since faceplates are still being made and are running late in production, we don't have an actual faceplate in our hands.

I will post something when he gives me the appropriate image file.

As for PCB, I can certainly share the backside, but will need to take a photo of the latest prototype revision (since all I have are prototypes on hand). I'll post that within the next day or two.
vintagesynthlab
whinger wrote:
I'm probably too late to weigh in on the faceplate, but I would love the option of a predominantly silver face with black accents.

I'm buying one regardless and am ridiculously excited to finally get one. Thanks!

We haven't yet explored the possibility of issuing an inverse graphic scheme for an alternative to the current designed faceplate. I will visit this subject with the rest of VSL and see if we can come up with a solution. Not sure if it will be provided as a direct option, or if as an aftermarket faceplate swap (providing the original fab file, but with inversion for graphics as such).

We'll investigate this soon.
whinger
vintagesynthlab wrote:
We haven't yet explored the possibility of issuing an inverse graphic scheme for an alternative to the current designed faceplate. I will visit this subject with the rest of VSL and see if we can come up with a solution. Not sure if it will be provided as a direct option, or if as an aftermarket faceplate swap (providing the original fab file, but with inversion for graphics as such).

We'll investigate this soon.

That would be amazing, thank you!
Fingers crossed.
vintagesynthlab
Update: Great news! ...As of today (18-Oct-2017), we are officially shipping the VCF-74 MK2 to dealers

We appreciate your patience, but I'm sure that most of you probably know by now: even when your ducks are in a row, one or more get out of line!... i.e., the "predictable-unpredictability" of modern manufacturing and supply chain logistics!

ben_hex
vintagesynthlab great news!
MARK27
I'm curious to hear some kind of test or demo that showcases the new version's upgrades compared to the original version.

Congratulations on the new product!
dmod
MARK27 wrote:
I'm curious to hear some kind of test or demo that showcases the new version's upgrades compared to the original version.

Congratulations on the new product!
Me too!
matttech
Got these mk2s in stock finally Rockin' Banana!
nolongerhuman
Been waiting on this after the excellent videos online. Finally got an order in.
MARK27
There are videos online for the mk2?

Links, please!
nolongerhuman
Sorry, I should have been more concise, I watched the demos of the V1, which sold me on the design, and by the time I went to purchase one, V2 was in production and V1 was OOS, so, now I have a V2 arriving on Friday. Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4