MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cream ''serge or moog style'' knobs on 5U ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Cream ''serge or moog style'' knobs on 5U ?
Jturbide
Ok I know just reading the title might do this to you -> very frustrating

Please don't go crazy I'm just wondering if you ever saw any 5U module or system with white/cream serge-like knobs ? I might have said it a couple times but yeah I really like how serge modules look, and no I'm not trying to create a revolution here hihi I was just thinking, since I love serge looks and I'm pretty intrigued by the first picture we can see on grove audio product section :http://www.groveaudio.com/beta/products_index.html (I know these are white/cream moog style knobs) , that it might look really cool.. or not !? razz

Anybody has pictures of modules or system with that kind of knobs? (white/cream serge or moog style knobs)

Thanks
bwhittington
A litlte further down that same page gives you an idea of what that might look like (black euro here):

The one thing you might consider is what the panel graphics will look like with smaller knobs. On Dotcom modules, for example, the printing stops at the edge of what would be a 1" knob. With a small knob in the middle, it looks a little bit odd to my eye. On the other hand, you have do have even more room for your fingers, so there's that. Try it and find out!

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/fluted-miniature-pointe r-abs-colors-for-knurled-shaft/

Jturbide
Thanks bwhittington thumbs up

I think it might look fabulous with a mix of moog/serge knobs (all white). Like this!

......fuuuu Never maintain cash savings again
sduck
Jturbide
sduck : hehe your modules look awesome cool

Well.. I have ordered some knobs w00t
I went with lots of moog/dotcom style 1" , I think 4 of the same style but 3/4" (for my DUSG) and also 4 fluted miniature (also for my DUSG). All CREAM
I didn't find any colored rotary switch (like dotcom uses) so that's gonna stay black..

I'll let you guys know if it's cool or if I threw $50 by the window hihi
burdij
To help you visualize what the cream colored knobs in MU, that you are referring to, might look like:

The knobs are the 1 in., the 13/16 in., and the Davies 1900 clone which is 5/8 in.
Eric the Red
Jturbide
Check out this thread for other non traditional 5U modules - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156587&highlight=
Jturbide
Thanks Eric the Red I'll go check that out !

burdij : Yeah I love it, thanks for the info. I was wondering if you used white or cream, glad I went with cream grin
MindMachine
sduck wrote:

Like eating Skittles on acid! Yum.
Jturbide
sorry for crappy picture, I can't find my gf's camera... she probably brought it her to London d'oh! .. but yeah that's how it looks. Still trying to decide if I prefer it or not... could only swap 4 out of 6 knobs on my dusg because I don't have the right allen key sad banana (will be able to swap the two others next week).

I kinda like it but I'm not sure if I prefer it.. actually I think I do but I might not be able to continue that way if I get say.. a COTK Analog delay (those knobs are freaking huge ! :p ) or even when I get some more modules.. cost me $50 for around 25 knobs so... might be too expensive to continue that way

burdij
This may be an acquired taste but if we don't try new things, the state of the art isn't going to evolve.

I found another picture of a full rack of modules with the cream knobs:

I like to think of it as the "white tie" look. It certainly makes the modules easier to see in low light situations.
the bad producer
These look really nice Jturbide - forgive me if I'm being silly, but where did you get them from?

Jturbide wrote:
sorry for crappy picture, I can't find my gf's camera... she probably brought it her to London d'oh! .. but yeah that's how it looks. Still trying to decide if I prefer it or not... could only swap 4 out of 6 knobs on my dusg because I don't have the right allen key sad banana (will be able to swap the two others next week).

I kinda like it but I'm not sure if I prefer it.. actually I think I do but I might not be able to continue that way if I get say.. a COTK Analog delay (those knobs are freaking huge ! :p ) or even when I get some more modules.. cost me $50 for around 25 knobs so... might be too expensive to continue that way

Jturbide
burdij: that looks great!
Also, good point on the low light situation. I like it, I'm just kinda worried about the cost and the availability of bigger cream knobs (as I said before, for a COTK analog delay for example... not sure I can find big cream knobs like that)

the bad producer: Hey thanks! I've ordered them from http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/ . They are based in the U.S while I'm in canada, hence the kinda high cost... Oh and btw, I'm a big fan of your serge modules, they all look amazing! It's a shame that serge systems are that much expensive, I would probably have gone that way.
ranix
wow, that's cool. Something about it isn't for me though, I feel like my synthesizer would be insulted in some way if I tried to do this
DrReverendSeance
Jturbide You might try E-Sonic, I've found good prices for many components there and they are based in Montreal (all CAD prices). https://www.e-sonic.com

Their search sucks though.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1