MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Erica Synths SWAMP - the Wogglebug-inspired DIY module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Erica Synths SWAMP - the Wogglebug-inspired DIY module
Girts23
Dear colleagues,
as we are redesinging our DIY line, we felt, it's time to digg into some randomness. So, here's the SWAMP - a random CV and audio generator inspired by the famous Wiard Wogglebug module; it’s often the heart of self-generating patches and brings controllable randomness to your modular system. In the SWAMP module we introduced numerous modifications and improvements to extend potentiometer range, added an audio input, which, when connected, replaces the internal Tone oscillator, replaced the expensive dual vactrol, built S&H circuit around the made in Riga S&H IC AS1100CK2, added audio waveform selection switches, CV output configuration jumpers and much more.



And here's a great video by Synth DIY Guy.


DIY kits beginning from 51EUR are available from Erica Synths.

Have fun!
Synesthesia
Hey - good to see a new module, but i think a lot of people still would like some help with the Erica Wogglebug.

Overall i love your product and pricing but ...

With the wogglbug, there was BOM errors - and a lot of build issue - which seemed to be related to the pcb version, jumper needed, or simply not working modules.

you seem to haven't gone on the thread in a while - so here' s the link :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145344&start=100

before builders get blamed for poor build quality, you can see on this thread some extremelly experienced builders - who built multiple Erika Wogglebugs having issues.

Personally, i did build one, had issue which i fixed ( jumper needed etc ) - my left LED can be sometime eratic but my module work .

I did signaled the bom mistake back in 07/2016 - and they are still there. I mentioned at the time the cap placed between the 4046 as well - which, depending on your choice of cap and ic socket could be a problem - i don't think this was fixed.
Actually, i never got a reply. Same when i mentioned this thread by mail to Thonk and Erica again back in January.

This has created a lot of frustration.
flab
I think there at the headquarters of erica factories, have to go back through all your pcb revisions files and try to suggest solutions for every version of it. then check whats what with the bom and update it, and let us know.
tojpeters
That name is already in use for a very well known CGS/Serge panel.
Do a search.
Synesthesia
Quote:
That name is already in use for a very well known CGS/Serge panel.
Do a search.


opening the MacBeth Elements Vs Mutable Instrument Elements can of worm here wink
sduck
ordered!
electret
I'm in the process of building it but I think the kit I received is missing resetable fuses. What should I do about it?
FetidEye
contact Erica Synths about it?

mistakes can happen with kits. so much parts.

anyway, --

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
This is an awesome module. I have to save some money, but I'll put it on my " definitely want to build" list!!
electret
Yeah good point will do that! And yeah, can't wait to have it done smile
sduck
Don't know if this is on purpose or not, but the cluster knob works backwards - high amount of basically the same pitch/cv value at CCW, more randomization as you turn it up. Not really a big deal, but a little odd if you've used these before.
needspeed
sduck wrote:
Don't know if this is on purpose or not, but the cluster knob works backwards - high amount of basically the same pitch/cv value at CCW, more randomization as you turn it up. Not really a big deal, but a little odd if you've used these before.


Girts sent be a pre-production Swamp PCB set and panel and it worked first time with me sourcing my own parts.

I will have to put a scope on mine and see if it is doing the same behavior as yours.

I have been so distracted by a rapid accumulation of Cwejman panels, that I have not paid much attention to much else (I call it Cwejman Syndrome).

I do like the new Swamp design though. I also will compare it to my V1 Make Noise Wogglebug and see how they differ.

I must say that the square/triangle option really is nice to have.......Steve
sduck
You don't need a scope - just use any of the audio outs and twist the cluster knob. Counter clockwise is high clustering, I.E. a low amount of randomness; Clockwise is low clustering. The Make Noise version doesn't have this control. It's not really a big deal though, as I said. Just an interesting quirk.
needspeed
sduck wrote:
You don't need a scope - just use any of the audio outs and twist the cluster knob. Counter clockwise is high clustering, I.E. a low amount of randomness; Clockwise is low clustering. The Make Noise version doesn't have this control. It's not really a big deal though, as I said. Just an interesting quirk.


True I do not need a scope, but I find it fun to look at as I listen.

Fully CCW the tone does not hardly move at all after it has slowly risen to a high generally steady tone. Fully CW it does randomly cluster then gets rhythmic (based on clock setting) for a few or more random notes and then clusters again in an unpredictable manner.

On the MN WB V1 I thought that is what the Woggle knob is for so now I will play with that again.......Steve
sduck
Ack, I had misread the page - indeed the make noise version has a cluster control, it's called something else, and does seem to work the same as this one. I'm just used to my old Standard Wogglebug No. 3, which I've built a large number of. Again, not a big deal. I just noticed that the cluster knob seems to have a much better range on this version - at CCW the pitches stay almost constant - it never gets that un-random with my old ones.
needspeed
sduck wrote:
I just noticed that the cluster knob seems to have a much better range on this version - at CCW the pitches stay almost constant - it never gets that un-random with my old ones.


Yes this is what I am hearing and seeing also and I really like this version.

It is unfortunate that the last version was very spotty for many, including myself as to quality and consistency of the boards and ultimate behavior once built.......Steve
LeChaim
Hi, i recently build a swamp and it works as far as i can judge except for the range knob. the frequency of the tone output is stuck at a fixed value. also the cv in for rate does nothing. the corresponding LED lights up from time to time but does not refelct the actual frequency.
needspeed
LeChaim wrote:
Hi, i recently build a swamp and it works as far as i can judge except for the range knob. the frequency of the tone output is stuck at a fixed value. also the cv in for rate does nothing. the corresponding LED lights up from time to time but does not refelct the actual frequency.


I am not the expert that many are over here but I built a pre release Swamp and 3 Woggle bugs all working.

What helps are some hi-res photos of your PCs so folks can look at parts placement and solder joints as that is what I do to trouble shoot first. So what CVs work and What tones work. Also you have a Swamp Range and a Smooth Range. A little more detail please....Thanks....Steve
LeChaim
oh i mean the big rate knob, not range knobs.

i already checked for cold joints, bridges, wrong IC directions etc. but couldn't find anything. swamp output works fine with range, time, cluster influenced. also the sample and hold seems to work fine with external click (i am not sure about the click out since it wasn't able to trigger my befaco adsr) and audio ins, ring out also works fine. the whole thing is just stuck at a fixed frequency. i already tried the test points but dont really know what to look for. the testpoints for the vco have a nice beefy square out but the testpoints for the rate knob and rate cv in just have something i would interpret as noise on the scope since its lower then -20db.
LeChaim
ps: i can provide fotos a soon as i find a camera, since i don't own one myself grin and nooo i have no smartphone
needspeed
LeChaim wrote:
ps: i can provide fotos a soon as i find a camera, since i don't own one myself grin and nooo i have no smartphone


Photos would be helpful. I am going to look up the schematic when I have some time later......Steve
StudentsOfTheFuture
LeChaim wrote:
oh i mean the big rate knob, not range knobs.

i already checked for cold joints, bridges, wrong IC directions etc. but couldn't find anything. swamp output works fine with range, time, cluster influenced. also the sample and hold seems to work fine with external click (i am not sure about the click out since it wasn't able to trigger my befaco adsr) and audio ins, ring out also works fine. the whole thing is just stuck at a fixed frequency. i already tried the test points but dont really know what to look for. the testpoints for the vco have a nice beefy square out but the testpoints for the rate knob and rate cv in just have something i would interpret as noise on the scope since its lower then -20db.


I have a working one I finished recently, I can do some meter or scope readings for you if you'd like - just let me know what points.

Scope may be a bit as I have to move things around (I really need a dedicated workspace...) but I have some stuff to calibrate anyway.

Everything should basically work out of the box, without clock input. I was able to get triangle, square, and mixed tones on both outputs with the switch, and the Rate knob worked just fine. CVs as well.

I had to jumper the Stepped CV light to get it to work but I was still getting the correct CV output.

The lights are basically a transistor controlling flow to the LED in time with clock outputs, so if you have those working, you can tell sort of what kind of clock signal you're getting. Which might help find what's not working.
LeChaim
Thank you all for the help so far!

the screenshots of the scope show test point TP1 and TP2 with the rate knob and rate cv knob fully CCW, 50% and fully CW. no change at all. the only thing that happens is a slight bump in the offset if i turn the knob. i gues its caused by the vactrol nature... of the vactrols smile

also all scope outputs look pretty much the same caused by the fixed frequency issue i guess.

and before anyone asks i had to substitute the 7k5 with a 6k8 and a 680 cause it was missing in the kit.

here are the photos of the pcbs and scope output:











[/img]
StudentsOfTheFuture
My kit was also missing the 7.5k... interesting. (I grabbed a few after considering doing what you did)

Is that a solder bridge on the header just below it? Between the left and middle pins? (Could also be the light)

Mine works without anything on either side of that header.
LeChaim
got no jumper at hand so i did a solder bridge for 10V range. tried it also without but since i encountered the rate-knob issue i thought i give it a try.

i also ordered a 100 pack of the 7k5s now but wanted to finish the module smile
LeChaim
with the help from erica, you guys and especially our tech guy at work we could trace down the error. it lied between transistor VT1 and VT2 which were supposed to sum up the signal before going into the vactrols. it took some time because we were measuring everything from the rate knob down to this point with a multimeter to track the element that didn't seem to work. after switching the transistors without any signs of improvment i just soldered the transistor legs directly to each other et voila.... a sign of life.

heres a nice image of the two transistors now working arm in arm for a musical future.

thanks!

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group