MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

my modular pledge
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author my modular pledge
lisa
As some of you know I just got into the modular world after resisting it for 15 years. My worry has always been that I'll stop making music and just focus on buying (and selling) more modules. I've read many testimonies on this forum from folks in that specific situation.

To avoid this I've decided on two rules for myself:

1. I have to use my latest module in a track that I finalised and feel satisfied with before I get to buy another module
2. if I want to sell a module I can but I can't use the money to buy another module

I'm hoping that this will:

a) spur me to make more music
b) hinder me from buying at a faster pace than I can learn to use what I got
c) push me to make good, educated decisions on what to buy
d) rid me from any guilt about buying new modules (since I've sort of earned them)

What do you guys think, is this a good pledge to avoid the common "no music and no money" chestnut?
sduck
If it works for you. If you can stick to it.
GGW
I think that yours is a worthy pledge. It's good to set some rules for the ego self!

thumbs up
strangegravity
Don't forget:

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.
luketeaford
I think you're onto something, but I think life is short and you should do what makes you happy.

I am pretty meticulous in my researching before buying, but I don't find it useful to learn all of my modules inside and out before buying another one -- a practical example, I have a quantizer that I bought because I like the interface and I needed a simple, small HP quantizer. It has additional features that don't especially interest me that I will learn eventually, but it's probably not something I need to be able to do without a manual.

I think it's more important to think of a module's role in your system as it relates to the other modules.

My priorities in order are: to have fun, to learn, to record music, to have two of every module in the world. hihi
Doublecoolbossman
Godspeed sad banana
lisa
luketeaford wrote:

My priorities in order are: to have fun, to learn, to record music, to have two of every module in the world. hihi

Reasonable priorities. For me, it's more like this: to record music & to have fun, to not get too much gear. wink

sduck wrote:
If you can stick to it.

Oh, I will. smile
cornutt
In general, I make it a rule not to buy new modules until I have learned and understood the modules I have. But there are exceptions. Sometimes, in the modular world, there's a short window of availability for things, and you have to jump on it while the opportunity is there. Right now, I'm thinking about buying a used sequencer, even though at the moment I have no place to put it -- I'm in the process of building a new case.
MrTurboparrot
“Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.”
– Yoda

“When you look at the dark side, careful you must be. For the dark side looks back.”
– Yoda

“The fear of loss is a path to the Dark Side.”
– Yoda

“A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away… to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things.”
– Yoda
chamomileshark
MrTurboparrot wrote:
“Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.”
– Yoda

“When you look at the dark side, careful you must be. For the dark side looks back.”
– Yoda

“The fear of loss is a path to the Dark Side.”
– Yoda

“A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away… to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things.”
– Yoda

I really wouldn't take much notice of a 600 year old being who can't be bothered to learn how to structure a sentence properly in English - he's clearly an idiot.

I wish you luck with your plan. I've managed to keep my modular habit under control - so much that I have 3 empty spaces in the rack and it's been like that for the last 5 years. But then it does help if it's Frac not Euro.
MrTurboparrot
First - I must contest Camomileshark's claim that yoda is "clearly an idiot". Just because his speech structure is somewhat inconsistent, and essentially object–subject–verb word order - does not make it so.

Second - I do join Camomileshark in wishing luck with your plan. I have a very small (6U - Doepfer A-100LC6 Low-Cost-Suitcase 6HE) setup - and my mind still boggles at the infinite possibilities. It includes drums, 3 voices, utilities, clock dividers, sequencers, all manner of stuff. I have refused to expand.
lisa
MrTurboparrot wrote:
and my mind still boggles at the infinite possibilities.

So true. I've gotten myself two modules (plus a few mulis and mixers) and I already feel that the possibilities are quite a few.

Also, I just finished my first track using the modular so I have earned myself another module. It's peanut butter jelly time!
Futuresound
lisa wrote:

2. if I want to sell a module I can but I can't use the money to buy another module

I've been thinking about this a lot for some reason, and I don't understand this part. Why not 'recycle' money you've already spent? Assuming you have a single pool of funds you're using to buy modules it doesn't really matter if the money 'comes from' sale of a module or wages or whatever, unless I'm missing something.
addendum
Choosing a limited environment like chamomileshark said does help. I like rules and don't find yours boyscout-like at all. But I see the point in that joke and suggest it would be best to study how classic modular and semi-modular systems and some recent ones are designed, and wh,. What moduke assortment or rather what set of functions (make a list or table!) did the Buchla 100 have, the 200, the Arp 2600, the Digisound modular (first one with digital waveforms I think), and so on all.the way to Verbos, Malekko Wiard, Make Noise and Mutable. This may help you develop a vision of what you sympathize with and which direction you'd like to go. This means also knowing which things you WON'T buy even tho they're interesting by themselves... more efficient than just going "trial and error shopping". Unless that's what you enjoy of course...
Chartreuse-J
So Lisa...

Whats going to happen if you stray or resist. You realize that no one here will enforce the "Modular Force" within it's dark tunnel of insanity and self introspection. I highly recommend doing modular in a safe and friendly environment with possible parental supervision. Use only the safest modules that have no known side effects. And for the love of god don't buy Buchla, just look what happend to Morton Subotnick.
addendum
^ Wasting a lot of time to make fun of someone who came up with a mere two, arbitrary but well-reasoned rules?

Many good artists work based on rules that seem stifling or silly to outsiders...
Chartreuse-J
addendum wrote:
^ Wasting a lot of time to make fun of someone who came up with a mere two, arbitrary but well-reasoned rules?

Many good artists work based on rules that seem stifling or silly to outsiders...

applause

You got me pegged dude! You win at the internet!
Hovercraft
Rule #1 is probably good, but I don't understand rule #2. The point of modular is being able to put together a system that matches your needs and abilities. Sometimes you need to try a module before figuring out it isn't right. Spending the time properly learning a module is good, but so is trading out modules that aren't what you expected.
addendum
Hovercraft & Futuresound: it makes total sense in the context (!) of the first rule, only seems strange when isolated.

If you can't exchange modules and have to "earn" new ones instead, you are forced to work harder at EITHER getting something out of that modules to finish a new track, in which case you may even discover reasons to keep it, or work harder at finishing a new track without it/ with the rest of what you have, in which case you may discover you don't really need a new module right now even though you've worked for one; you can then buy your next module free of preconceptions and expectations that it should help you achieve anything (which is what one's core setup is for).
It prevents a cycle of always looking for something better, which is what many people are running in (not only on MW). It doesn't prevent acquiring new modules, only ensures that you place work over expectation.

Without even knowing for sure if this was the OP's actual train of thought, I gotta say this is one of the best posts I've read on the forum in years (in terms of inspiring/ challenging).
MrTurboparrot
addendum wrote:
Hovercraft & Futuresound: it makes total sense in the context (!) of the first rule, only seems strange when isolated.

If you can't exchange modules and have to "earn" new ones instead, you are forced to work harder at EITHER getting something out of that modules to finish a new track, in which case you may even discover reasons to keep it, or work harder at finishing a new track without it/ with the rest of what you have, in which case you may discover you don't really need a new module right now even though you've worked for one; you can then buy your next module free of preconceptions and expectations that it should help you achieve anything (which is what one's core setup is for).
It prevents a cycle of always looking for something better, which is what many people are running in (not only on MW). It doesn't prevent acquiring new modules, only ensures that you place work over expectation.

Without even knowing for sure if this was the OP's actual train of thought, I gotta say this is one of the best posts I've read on the forum in years (in terms of inspiring/ challenging).

Given that we are getting into rules, here is a reminder of a useful process that i'm sure has been quoted ad infinitum on this forum over the years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_Strategies
cptnal
WRT aim (a) - Depends what spurs you to create. I like to have at least one thing I don't know how to use properly. Once you think you've "mastered" something it's easy just keep doing the same thing. A bit of aimless wandering can be creative.
Futuresound
Well, rule #2 is pretty smart then!

I wish I'd have thought of that grin
gonkulator
lisa wrote:
As some of you know I just got into the modular world after resisting it for 15 years. My worry has always been that I'll stop making music and just focus on buying (and selling) more modules. I've read many testimonies on this forum from folks in that specific situation.

To avoid this I've decided on two rules for myself:

1. I have to use my latest module in a track that I finalised and feel satisfied with before I get to buy another module

I'm hoping that this will:

a) spur me to make more music
b) hinder me from buying at a faster pace than I can learn to use what I got
c) push me to make good, educated decisions on what to buy
d) rid me from any guilt about buying new modules (since I've sort of earned them)

What do you guys think, is this a good pledge to avoid the common "no music and no money" chestnut?

Sound foundation. Revisit them after a time to ascertain their usefulness.
rikardjh
Sounds like a healthy pledge. Though i will say this: with the modular market here and elsewhere I've often found it's worth buying a module to try it out and you can be fairly certain you get your money back if it wasn't what you expected. But yeah, take it slow and figure out what you need instead of jumping on every (ofter overhyped) module.
oliq
lisa wrote:

Sounds like a great pledge, particularly 1. I'm going to hold myself to that, although I'm finding what I have is inspiring a lot of ideas. Don't want to get in seeing it as reversed and that I can buy a new module for every new track I finish... =)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3