MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog vs Moog
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Moog vs Moog
anselmi
I have a Sub-37 wich I really like, but you know, a Model D is a Model D, and now that it´s discontinued I started to look at my Sub-37 as a pile of money instead of a synth

I don´t really use the memories and sequencer of the Sub-37...I wish it would be more inmediate, but even save a patch in this synth bored me...the sequencer is kinda convoluted too...I know, it´s not THAT hard to use, but not intuitive due to the 2nd function buttons that I always forget

So should I move to the Model D? it´s a big $$$ step, but maybe it´s worth the extra money...they sound different for sure, but what would I lost in the sound department?
Ockeghem
Is the Model D more immediate?
Once it is warmed up for twenty minutes or so!
Saving a patch? Snap a photo or write down the knob positions. The "save" button is missing. hihi
Nevertheless, I'm not sure what you would be giving up as I don't own the Sub 37.
I am a fan of the Minimoog sound since the early seventies. I had hoped to buy one in the 1980s but new ones were discontinued.
When they popped up again last year and got good reviews I decided to get one.
I thought, who knows when they will reappear?
Is it really better than my Moog LP Stage II or my soft synths? Or my Dotcom modular?
Too early to say, but nice to have choices. cool
ludotex
If you don't really care about :saving patches, getting less modulation options, duo mode, sequncer/arp, then get the model D. It sounds better and is one knob per function. You should go and try one to see the difference and see if you like its sound.
oblis
I had a Sub37 for a few months and sold it...I thought it sounded great, but just didn't gel with it as an instrument for some reason. I've had the Model D reissue for about a month. The thing for me is that, despite the limited modulation and routings (or because of them hmmm..... ), I feel like I'm able to coax a huge variety of usable sounds out of it much quicker than any other mono I've owned. Would you lose sound variety compared to the Sub37? IDK, probably...but you gain the sound of the Model Ds beating oscillators overdriven through the Moog filter Drunken Homer Simpson
calaveras
I'm probably in the minority. I find the new Model D doesn't really work like the old Mini I used to have. Certain patches I liked to do which involved injecting noise into the filter modulation just don't work.
estin
The only appeal the Model D would have for me over the Sub 37 is the high end fizz. I don't know why all the newer Moog's are so dark sounding. Let the filter open for that FIZZ!
Blairio
I guess for a sub37 to cover the minimoog's bases (bass's!) it would have to have the same voice architecture. Does it? I tried sub37 once, and it was a lovely instrument, but it doesn't have 3 VCOs. It has 2.

It sounded quite different from the minimoogs I have used and owned, but at the same time a very good instrument in its own right - beautifully made, nice to play, and the benefit of patch recall.

Minimoogs have a specific voice architecture and a mixer and a filter that behave in a pretty singular way. You can build a great minimoog in Eurorack for less than half the cost of the D series reissue. I have one, based around an AJH Minimod filter - and yet if money was no object I would love a reissue series D. The ergonomics are great and it is a design classic.
Klangzaun
It is not clear why you are not happy with the Sub37. If you are looking for the model D sound, go for the model D.

If need need some more modulation sources (and destinations) maybe a Voyager is worth a try.
anselmi
Blairio wrote:
You can build a great minimoog in Eurorack for less than half the cost of the D series reissue

I checked it before posting and the number for just the modules (no case) was $2150...add a case, a keyboard and MIDI, and you will be too close to the real thing. Of course you´d win modularity but lost the joy of a real Model D

Klangzaun wrote:
It is not clear why you are not happy with the Sub37.

I agree, it´s not clear...I´m trying to figure it out!

Quote:
If you are looking for the model D sound, go for the model D

I think I like both...can´t afford them though...this is the problem

Quote:
If need need some more modulation sources (and destinations) maybe a Voyager is worth a try.

I don´t "need" anything man! I got plenty of synths! this is pure lust! Mr. Green
nickster
Interestingly for a long while I sort of fell out of love with my LP Stage II feeling that the tones I was coaxing from it were either too metalic or at times too ballsy to sit well in my mixes. However recently I have had a review of it in context of playing it against other mono analogues I use in the studio. I think that the overdrive circuit is a lot to blame for my metalic patches as I would often over crank this together with near full volume on the oscillators running into it's mixer. As a new rule of thumb I now use very little overdrive and keep my osc levels to a max of 75%. As ever the subtler I try to be with this moog the more I get out of it.
Comparing other Moogs to the Minimoog I use at work feels a tad unfair as the Mini is one of only a few instruments that offers instant gratification. Other Moogs require a bit of work at times. But that extra time may well be a great thing. However I guess if one is wondering about buying a Minimoog the logical answer would be to grab one as soon as you can. It's peanut butter jelly time!
mmarsh
I use my MIDI-modified Werkstatt as my third VCO for my Sub37 - lovely.
mor4sso
Model D. Period.
Blairio
anselmi wrote:
Blairio wrote:
You can build a great minimoog in Eurorack for less than half the cost of the D series reissue

I checked it before posting and the number for just the modules (no case) was $2150...add a case, a keyboard and MIDI, and you will be too close to the real thing. Of course you´d win modularity but lost the joy

I used all Doepfer modules, but with The AJH Minimod Mixer / VCF. Cost including box was around £1150 GBP. You don't need moog modules to get that sound....

But I agree, the minimoog is an unusually good design.
umma gumma
well, they aren't making them anymore. at least for the time being. So better decide soon!

the prices for vintage D's around here were the same or higher than the RI. it was a no brainer as far as I'm concerned....MIDI, brand new parts that won't fail, extra LFO, a couple other cool features. And it appears to sound as good as the old ones

Moog modulars are even more expensive. I figured the D was the cheapest way to get into those legendary oscillators and filters

sub37's will always be fairly easy to find, IMO. D's maybe not.
Synth Con Meo
My Sub 37 was the gate drug into Synthesizers for me. I ran across it a couple years back at GC. But not really knowing anything about synthesizers let alone really how to play keyboards I kept telling myself I have no business in buying one. But it was a Moog! And pretty affordable at that. So finally I relented.

After that I started getting into Synthesizers and Eurorack (built all my own modules from kits) and getting more gear. So when Moog announced the New Minimoog Model D reissue I was all over it. Did the preorder thing and got mine a couple months later. I still don't know really how to play keyboards but I can't keep my hands off the Model D. I really do like my Sub 37 too, plus I do have a few more Keyboards but I find myself firing up the Model D more than anything. But that might just be me and maybe my lack of musical talent kind of keeps me from doing too much on the other Synths that has more features.

So if given what I currently have and if I had to choose in keeping one between the Sub 37 and Model D I would choose the Model D because I could sort of fill the Sub 37 hole with other things I have. Now if they were the only two I had then I would have to really think about it. But chances are I would probably still choose keeping the Model D.

That’s just my outlook from where I stand.
combathook
I don't have any experience with the Sub 37, but I have owned a Voyager for a long time and I've played a lot on the Model D.

I think the modern stuff sounds nice enough but it doesn't have a lot of character. The Model D and even the reissue, which I was skeptical of at first but really like now, are simple but they sound amazing. I'd rather make a track with just one synth with character than use 10 synths that simply look good on paper.

If I were you I'd pick up a Model D reissue and enjoy it as an "instrument" and later on buy more eurorack modules that will help you get more synthesis options that you can use to enjoy the programming side of things.
nickster
Probably a good idea to check out the forthcoming Behringer D synth which is a clone of the re-released moog model d. Currently the recent comparison to an original model d demo up on you tube makes this sound like a very interesting option if its the minimoog sound you are after.
graphixsounds
nickster wrote:
Probably a good idea to check out the forthcoming Behringer D synth which is a clone of the re-released moog model d. Currently the recent comparison to an original model d demo up on you tube makes this sound like a very interesting option if its the minimoog sound you are after.

the behringer model d sounds nearly identical to the vintage minimoog
anselmi
nickster wrote:

yes, but I don´t want to support this copycat brand
combathook
nickster wrote:

This may be slightly controversial, but I think there's more to a synth than just how it sounds. Not only does the mini sound great, but it's fun to play and operate too. Large front panel, well-spaced knobs with smooth pots, and beautiful design that invites you to sit down in front of it and play it like an instrument.

A clone may sound similar, but if it were me I think I'd miss the presence of the real thing. Budgeting for that kind of luxury is another matter though!
PISS.EXE
anselmi wrote:
nickster wrote:

Behringer made Midas affordable, put affordable gear in tons of our studios, makes analog synths and remaking 3320/3340! how can you not love them for that and all the other niches they've filled? you don't have to love their business practices because of it seriously, i just don't get it
anselmi
PISS.EXE wrote:
anselmi wrote:
nickster wrote:

Behringer made Midas affordable, put affordable gear in tons of our studios, makes analog synths and remaking 3320/3340! how can you not love them for that and all the other niches they've filled? you don't have to love their business practices because of it seriously, i just don't get it

An exhausted topic, I think...let's leave it as it is ... Dead Banana
calaveras
PISS.EXE wrote:
anselmi wrote:
nickster wrote:

Where Behnringer gets it's designs from is a topic for another day. Plenty of companies borrow liberally from predecessors.
I do not like Behringer stuff because my exposure to it has been that of mixers with no headroom, power supplies that break, and have non-standard connectors. And nothing that sounds good. Really too bad. When they first came on the scene their dynamics units were a great value and great sounding. Everything since then seems to be an exercise in razor thin margins.

As far as the Sub 37, that synth is interesting to me. But whenever I've tried it out I end up in a nasty place making not good sound. It just doesn't have that thing the Mini, Minit and Rogue have where most knob positions are good, and it's all very intuitive.
I do want to spend more time with one. I like that it allows so many modulation destinations and sources. And being a bassist myself. Duophonic is how I think.
shreddoggie
Time to buy a Voyager.
Prices are depressed due to recent frothing and shenanigans.
The brilliant yet misunderstood monster.
It is not a D.
It is MORE - much more...
FM
VCO Sync
2x LFO clock to midi
Memory
countless modulation options incl mappable touch pad
'pot mapping' e.g. velocity->cutoff etc
filter insert
fair amount of CV even without the expander thingie - tons with it...

People were so busy crying that it wasn't a D they completely missed Bob's brilliant accomplishment. Where the D is wool the 37 has fuzz but the Voyager is velvet. Never let mine go.
umma gumma
shreddoggie wrote:
Time to buy a Voyager.
Prices are depressed due to recent frothing and shenanigans.
The brilliant yet misunderstood monster.
It is not a D.
It is MORE - much more...
FM
VCO Sync
2x LFO clock to midi
Memory
countless modulation options incl mappable touch pad
'pot mapping' e.g. velocity->cutoff etc
filter insert
fair amount of CV even without the expander thingie - tons with it...

People were so busy crying that it wasn't a D they completely missed Bob's brilliant accomplishment. Where the D is wool the 37 has fuzz but the Voyager is velvet. Never let mine go.

yes....I, too, believe the Voyager is underappreciated

maybe they will be a highly desired collectable, in a few years?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3