MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

how would i l patch a Snare ? coming from white noise only
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author how would i l patch a Snare ? coming from white noise only
Funky40
i do a project in my digitakt:
make music just based on sampling the noise of the unconnected audio input.

i got allready quite astounding results, but what i miss is a Snare.
never had to care to patch me a Snare sound from nothing.

i spent two hours the other day, but patched me a hiHat, totally not aware that i just mixpuzzled the snare with the Hat in my mind MY ASS IS BLEEDING

i have noise samples.
i have percussion samples
i have metallic samples
i have a filter and amp envelope
i can pitch samples
i can make patterns just for the purpose to get a snare sound to resample,
for example layering sounds, up to 8

i just can´t get a picture into my mind how to sculpt a snare sound
( strange, as i used to play Drums over some years. *i* even had three snares in the friends set that i used to play on, hehe )

here btw. my first rough rec. from that project. (just a jam with one pattern )
https://soundcloud.com/punky-demos/dt-nos-124-techno-1
lacks a snare wink
GuyaGuy
Super basic: White noise into VCA and filter controlled by a snappy AD EG, decay to taste

More emulative: Sine and white noise into VCA and filter controlled by a snappy AD EG, decay to taste, attenuated pitch modulation of the sine by the same EG.

From there you can get more complex, e.g. multiple noise sources, separate EG for cutting off noise amount, etc.
mt3
Mysteron into Plague Bearer.

Snare is a hi-hat with a damped thudding kick drum layered underneath as well as a midrange tom also layered underneath. Mix together then run it through a distortion module for glue.
Funky40
GuyaGuy wrote:
Super basic: White noise into VCA and filter controlled by a snappy AD EG, decay to taste

thats where i started, indeed

also donne the multiple noise/filter/ env sound stacking.
strangly i changed then the route and went direction hihat in the meaning i´m still on the snare track lol

The envelopes on the Digitakt are not so good. release is not very musical.
thanks to point me back to the noise route,
had some more luck now with envelope shaping .just need to add me some percussion sounds under, as stated by mt3.

mt3, Digitakt only ! no samples ! only working my way up from the sampled noise of the unconnected audioinput wink
otherwise i´d just taken my BI hihi

Thanks
GuyaGuy
Happened to run across this:

mt3
Another reference vid for me:

Futuresound
Funky40

I love doing experiments like this, with strong limits!

If you allow yourself to re-sample the Digitakt back into itself, of course you can shape the noise into less-complex waveforms. That would be useful for layering under the noise. But maybe you don’t want to re-sample smile
calaveras
I like using a lowpass gate with white or pink noise for a snare.
Often I'll pipe that into a very short delay line with 30-50% feedback. To give it a less abrupt sound but also because I love that post punk/electro kind of snare sound.
Funky40
Futuresound wrote:

If you allow yourself to re-sample the Digitakt back into itself, of course you can shape the noise into less-complex waveforms. That would be useful for layering under the noise. But maybe you don’t want to re-sample smile

thats what i did ! i can resample internally.
finally this whole project/work IS based on resampling, shaping, resampling.
had me in the meantime also great snare hits by coinsidence, one sound overlapping the other respectivly cutting it.
.......but not reworked specific, better Snare samples. need to sit down again wink
( was a bit side tracked )

its a project that i definitly want to follow further.
felixer
without some tone you'll find it difficult to get a drum sound. it will likely sound more like a hihat Mr. Green
the skins and the shell produce a tone (dampened sine) so making a snare just from noise will not work ... could work with a resonating filter though ...
astrodislocate
^ I think with white noise, the line between snare and hi hat is usually made based on the length of the decay. the longer the white noise is there, the more snarey it is. Personally I usually don't even like oscillators in my more basic snares.
Funky40
yes, i was stuck betwen hats and the "snare woosh".
the envelope makes here a BIG differece for me.
the ENVs of the digitakt are unfortonately less than good.

felixer wrote:

the skins and the shell produce a tone (dampened sine) so making a snare just from noise will not work ... could work with a resonating filter though ...

i was not aware with the dampened sine. interesting.
a fundamental drum Boum is to get by filtering and enveloping the noise,
plus 1,2,3 times resampling.
resonating filter is a excellent tip. AFAIK can the digitakts Filter be pinged.
i never tryed.

at the end was/is it about to get there with the Digitakt-only.
so thats my main restriction ! the sampled "input noise" is just the "sample level" restriction

need to go back to this work, shitzy sidetrackings wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1