MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I accidentally a vintage Ampeg B15N
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author I accidentally a vintage Ampeg B15N
CursedFrogurt
Ran into Portaflex B12N [Correction: B15N] at my local guitar shop. It sounds wonderful with a bass running through it, and has some glorious crunch on guitar. Should be able to pick it up tomorrow (payday). I want it now! sad banana
Kent
Happens to me all of the time. I accidentally a B-12-XT once.

I get luckier than most since I work for the parent company of Ampeg and hear about all sorts of cool shizzle from time-to-time.
CursedFrogurt
Correction: B15N

Is nice!
bsmith
Awesome score. Ampeg B15N is my favorite bass rig to mic for studio use, easily. Would love to pick up one of the late 60s/early 70s ones someday.
Show us a picture and let us hear it when you get it!
MindMachine
For high school graduation my pops scored me a VT-22 dual 12" combo and a Sunn 18" PA cab. Not ideal for bass but I was quite happy. Still have them and actually play the bass through the combo amp stilll and have upgraded the speakers in both. The VT-22 is a window breaking ear splitter (literally w/ a 12 string guitar), but sounds great w/ bass too. Not ideal for a large venue.

Congrats on your score. Happy to see anyone score an Ampeg. They are great. Tubes are sooo nice!
Moog$FooL$
MindMachine wrote:
For high school graduation my pops scored me a VT-22 dual 12" combo and a Sunn 18" PA cab. Not ideal for bass but I was quite happy. Still have them and actually play the bass through the combo amp stilll and have upgraded the speakers in both. The VT-22 is a window breaking ear splitter (literally w/ a 12 string guitar), but sounds great w/ bass too. Not ideal for a large venue.

Congrats on your score. Happy to see anyone score an Ampeg. They are great. Tubes are sooo nice!

correct me if i'm wrong but the vt-22 is basically a v-4.... i think?? hmmm.....

nonetheless a great amp that depending on the user will honk for guitar & bass.

nice score for the other fella on the b-15n too!! thumbs up i just finished fixing one for a fella here in vancity...... Ampeg's are a favorite of mine but unfortunately a little tough to work on. d'oh!
Moog$FooL$
oh yeah!!!

the b-12xt that Mr. Kent once owned....... i lust that amp!!! screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo

if he comes back around i'm sure he'll tell us about it. simply beautiful vibrato & just about perfect for many guitar players.

i've only played through one of them, it was a truly fine experience!!!!
CursedFrogurt
Photoshoot of the amp that accidentally turned into a Bartleby cuteshoot.
I was instructed by the Greg, the guitar store owner, not to clean it, because it's covered in "Mojo Dirt." I'll obey. It's a 1965 model, 3x6SL7 Preamp tubes, 2x6L6GC Power tubes, 5AR4 Rectifier

When I got it home I unfortunately realized that it has a distinct buzz that goes along with certain notes (seem to be around the middle of the neck), as far as we can tell it's the speaker, so I'm gonna swap that out. Kind of a bummer, because it has the original Jensen in it, but at the very least I can crank it without fear of destroying a working 45 year old speaker once I get the new one in. I'll save it in case I want to sell the amp down the road, original speaker always helps resale value. Other than the buzz, it sounds frickin great, was serviced and recapped recently, and still has the original Sylvania/Ampeg branded preamp tubes, and GE Rectifier. New JJ Power tubes.

Any suggestions on a replacement speaker? Greg suggested a Jensen Mod, which I'm leaning towards because of the cheapness (figure I'll do a quick fix and if I want better tone down the road it won't be a big deal to replace again. Plus, from what I've read, the Mod series seem to get a lot of love.

Anyways, on to the pictures!

bsmith
Killer rig! Cute dog!
How about getting that original Jensen reconed?
Moog$FooL$
classic!!! thumbs up
nice score.

bsmith has a good idea..... see if you can get that original spkr. fixed up. i'd also agree the Mod series is another good option.
wyrtti
Ooohh! Such a nice amp! Ampegs do have nice tone and one of those elder ones would be so nice. I've played a bit with 70's V4 and own a newer V4BH and well, the old ones do rock... hihi

And your cat is really cool looking too! Mr. Green

thumbs up
CursedFrogurt
bsmith wrote:
Killer rig! Cute dog!
How about getting that original Jensen reconed?

Thought about that, but I think for now I'll swap out the speaker. It's cheap, and it leaves the original speaker in original condition. Even if I'm not using it, I wouldn't mind preserving the originality. I try to keep a "nothing is sacred" attitude about old gear, but at the same time, I try not to needlessly mess around with it. This is an easily reversible change, so it doesn't scare me as much as reconing. I guess I'd have to do a little research on the matter. I did think about it though. I'm getting the speaker for about a hundred bucks and Greg's putting it in for free, so I'll probably stick with plan A for now. Plus if it turns out the problem wasn't the speaker at all (although it DID go away when we plugged in an external cab), I can just put the old Jensen back in and get back to vintage rawkin.

ALSO, I saw the Jensen Mod 15's come in two flavors, the 120w, which has "Loose/Fat lows," and the 200w, which has "Tight" lows. I have no idea what the difference would sound like, not sure which I want to go with! My brain says Tight, but my guitar-stupid says Loose/Fat. My guitar-stupid is what told me to buy the amp, so . . . I'm leaning towards loose/fat. Bass players weigh in?
babysealclub
Yes the VT-22 is the 2 X 12 combo version of the V-4. I've had both. The VT-22 weighs about a million pounds. They also made a bass head version, the V-4B. The V-4B was the same amp except it didn't have reverb.

I love the Ampeg capacitor coupled reverb. If you have one, replace the reverb coupling caps with Angela/SCR Tin Foil signal Caps. Huge difference...

-TF
SPUDBOY WILSON
beautiful amp/speaker cab.

cool looking pup too

your color accessorizing for the pup, is perfect

look at the third picture note the complimentary color of the amp,
devine.
Klopfgeist
I scored a V4 last year after searching for a while. Insane volume Rockin' Banana!
CursedFrogurt
The first thing I've recorded from this bad boy (on a shitty radioshack mic). It does strange things to my bass tone.
http://soundcloud.com/artrythall/big-thumpa
machetemirage
This amp is glorious with a guitar. I love being able to watch the tubes flicker with my playing love
kaoss
bsmith wrote:
Awesome score. Ampeg B15N is my favorite bass rig to mic for studio use, easily.

ya, it's a classic!
avinopsv
So where is that reverb coming from?
CursedFrogurt
avinopsv wrote:
So where is that reverb coming from?

Oh, that was a modular patch through EHX Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai. It verbs the delays in the mode it was in. One of these days I'll actually record a stringed instrument through it meh
suitandtieguy
I wish I still had my M15. Some asshole called Uncle Albert's Amps in Indianapolis stole it from me.
avinopsv
Forgot to mention, also used on LCD Soundsystem's... well, everything.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1