MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Boutique SH-101?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author New Boutique SH-101?
computer controlled
I've not seen the thread on this yet... discuss.

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2017/07/new-roland-sh-101-boutique-in-works .html
PISS.EXE
Lol, I just got a control synthesis deep bass nine in the mail. I almost bought the JX boutique a lot of times, and still intend to get a tb03, but this would probably be my most likely purchase.
Muzone
Wow, another necro-synth just what we need seriously, i just don't get it

guess the punters will love it though.....
oisin
Muzone wrote:

hihi applause hihi
darenager
Muzone wrote:

Why not? The boutique range have been a success for Roland, they sound very good and they are inexpensive, and the classics upon which they are based are getting more expensive and sought after, so if you want a reasonable approximation of those then the boutique range are a fairly good compromise.

I'll get one for sure, and the 808 if they do that too, I have all the others and enjoy using them more than I expected given the modest price. TBH these reissues and the Aira range interest me a lot more than most modern Roland gear does.
mateo
Was inevitable. The big question is what the sequencer's going to be like, although a keystep can serve the purpose well.
Muzone
darenager wrote:
Muzone wrote:

Why not? The boutique range have been a success for Roland, they sound very good and they are inexpensive......

Yes, no harm in that, nostalgia sells big it seems - but personally I think it's all a bit of a fap-fest for synths that were never that great in the first place - "back in the day" we used them because they were cheap and available not for their musical quality and no way would I want to use those synths today up against the huge choice we now have.

But I guess some genres of music (and musician) seem to need "that sound" so yeah, get your wallet out and re-live the dream bro' - it's all good wink
Tumulishroomaroom
I'd rather buy an Atlantis I think.
ludotex
This would make sense. And I hope it will be more interesting sounding than the se02 and cheaper. But then again tiny sliders... hmmm.....
DMR
I don't think the details have been released, but it would have to sound good for a 1-oscillator digital monosynth with a tiny user interface to preferable over all the other great monosynths out right now...
ngarjuna
DMR wrote:
I don't think the details have been released, but it would have to sound good for a 1-oscillator digital monosynth with a tiny user interface to preferable over all the other great monosynths out right now...

It would have to sound pretty much like a 101. I don't have (and haven't demo'd) the System1 Plug-out for the SH-101 but it got pretty good reviews on GS (they are a picky crowd particularly when it has the word Roland on it). I'd be willing to bet the code is based on that. Whether that's "good enough" or not remains to be seen; the demos I've heard online were thoroughly convincing (but that's just some demos).

The 101 is like one giant sweet spot. I'm not sure there's another mono on the market currently that really competes with that particular aim. If they can pull that off in a boutique...hell I'll buy one.
CF3
I'm down for this.....IF.... they do it analog. If not, why bother? They've already got the whole "plug out" thing. Would love to see prices of the vintage units crash Dead Banana
anselmi
CF3 wrote:
I'm down for this.....IF.... they do it analog. If not, why bother? They've already got the whole "plug out" thing. Would love to see prices of the vintage units crash Dead Banana

they already got the 909 covered with the TR-8, and anyway they released the TR-09, so I´m 99% sure that this new boutique is digital to the bones
cake100
CF3 wrote:

I don't think the prices would crash. Non of the other mini digital version releases had an effect on the originals.
gentle_attack
ngarjuna wrote:
The 101 is like one giant sweet spot. I'm not sure there's another mono on the market currently that really competes with that particular aim. If they can pull that off in a boutique...hell I'll buy one.

I though that was bollocks until I got an mc-202 several years ago. Really any audible sound that thing can produce is juicy and creamy.

This -looks- like more of an mc-202 anyways, although I suppose if it doesn't have the jigsaw puzzle sequencer and does have noise (LFO delay?) I'm interested to hear more either way (as long as it's analog/hybrid not modeling)
anselmi
ngarjuna wrote:
The 101 is like one giant sweet spot. I'm not sure there's another mono on the market currently that really competes with that particular aim.

I think the SEM is another example of a mono that is hard or impossible to make sound bad
computer controlled
gentle_attack wrote:

This -looks- like more of an mc-202 anyways,

Not really. It's a 101. With the seq/arp buttons in same spot even. I HATED the 202 sequencer. But i had one over 20 years ago =o]

As for WHY? Because 101s are getting far too pricey now, and their 101 plug out was pretty much spot on. So why NOT port it into a small format with it's proper sequencer. I love the 101, and it's sequencer. So to have one super portable, i'm down with it. Hell, i'll buy all three flavors if available =o]
Chopper
I want to love this one. I really do. I love the original, and know it inside out (literally), but no keyboard means the seq will be annoying to program without anything plugged in, plus those tiny sliders...
I will get it anyway for sure...
mateo
For sure it's digital, it would be strange for them to deviate from that when the rest of the series is all modelling.
anselmi
mateo wrote:
For sure it's digital, it would be strange for them to deviate from that when the rest of the series is all modelling.

not the SE-02, wich is the last boutique released...but according with Roland it´s part of a collaboration series, so I think a 101ish synth would not fit in that category and it makes sense that it´s modelling-based as the rest of the boutiques
berfmurret
been jonesin for some 101 action in my rig for a while, now.. ready to trade out my microbrute.. w00t Miley Cyrus
CoreInside
SE02 has an inbuilt sequencer and will kick the ass of a digital 101. Send Roland a message and buy the se02 guys.
darenager
CEM3340 has been re-issued so SH-101 VCO is readily available, now if Roland remade the IR3109 in some manner then it could be analog, perhaps?

I'm not too worried either way, but it would be funny if Roland surprised everyone.
CF3
cake100 wrote:
CF3 wrote:

I don't think the prices would crash. Non of the other mini digital version releases had an effect on the originals.

Because they're not ANALOG 1-to-1 copies. Look at what happened to the MS-20. Pre-Mini prices were @$1800-$2000. The prices of SH-101's are way up there right now. They could easily take a 30% haircut. Imagine if that boutique mini 909 was real analog? Do you think vintage 909's would still be $3500+ right now? IMO, they would not (more like $2k-ish maybe).
xonetacular
If they go analog now then they have to admit their ACB tech of old roland gear isn't as perfect a substitute as they have been claiming.

I guess with the SE02 they could try justify it isn't a clone of a roland instrument, or something.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6