MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ableton control surface with motorized faders that works
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Ableton control surface with motorized faders that works
xonetacular
I looked into this years ago and there was nothing, looking now and still doesn't seem like much out there.

While there are many control surfaces they all seem to be lacking good ableton support

There is the presonus faderport 8 but I don't like the layout and would want more than 8 faders. At least 16 to start then maybe 24.

So that leaves me with Icon controllers mostly which look like good hardware and reasonably priced but I'm skeptical of ableton support and can't find much info about how the scripts are for the bigger ones.

I primarily want motorized faders, pan, mute, solos, but would be nice if the other stuff works properly.

on cheaper there is the platform m and expanders. but I know there are script issues as detailed below:

now maybe I can live with some of that but I don't have time to fix scripts

they make some very nice looking big controllers like qcon prox and proxs but I would like to know how the ableton integration is and im skeptical going by the support for the smaller ones

ersatzplanet
I traded mine away, but when I had it, my Mackie Control and Expander both worked perfectly with Ableton (and Reason too). I kept the Mackie C4 for Reason.

They often show up used at a reasonable price. They work with most DAWs too.
xonetacular
Hmm. I wish the Mackies weren't so ugly and I haven't had the best experience with the build quality of their other products so I'm a bit hesitant given the price. The new icon posted above certainly looks great and is similarly priced, just wish I had confirmation of how it worked with ableton.
XXXEsq
I was using a Mackie MCU + 2 extenders. Worked fine. Dumped them last year and bought a Slate Raven. Game over!
xonetacular
slate raven looks interesting but too big for me and never liked touch screens much

With the price of mackie controllers and others I'm thinking of maybe taking a chance on the cheaper icon platform m's despite their mapping shortcomings. I mostly just care about motorized faders, mute, solo, and pan controls and could skip the screens. if the first one works ok could get 2-3 extenders and have all the faders I want.
xonetacular
What about allen and heath qu16 as a control surface? I know it works with pro tools and some other daws. It says it works with ableton but I would like to see it in action.

http://www.allen-heath.com/media/DAW-Control-Setup-Notes-for-Qu-16.pdf

I wouldn't just get it as a control surface but would be nice to use standalone for live stuff and then be able to use it as a controller with ableton normally since I prefer mixing in ableton.
ersatzplanet
xonetacular wrote:
slate raven looks interesting but too big for me and never liked touch screens much

With the price of mackie controllers and others I'm thinking of maybe taking a chance on the cheaper icon platform m's despite their mapping shortcomings. I mostly just care about motorized faders, mute, solo, and pan controls and could skip the screens. if the first one works ok could get 2-3 extenders and have all the faders I want.

I just did a eBay search on the Mackie Control - Jesus, they are much more expensive than they were when I got mine. The guy I traded mine to got a great deal!
mt3
Tim Exile uses a pair of BCF2000s by Behringer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1