MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What kind of synthesis is this?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author What kind of synthesis is this?
Sugarfree
I patched an audio-range sine wave into a VCA CV Input
and a VCA Output to back to a VCA Input.
The result is a strange, beating waveform with a lot of wave shaping possibilities through VCA GAIN and CV LEVEL knobs.
It's heavily polarized, either above or below 0V.

I use Corsynth C107 Quad VCA/VC Mixer, but the same patching sounds very different in other VCA brands. Sometimes like a frequency divider.
What am I doing here?

kindredlost
Sugarfree wrote:
What am I doing here?

I ask myself that every day too.

Looks a bit like wave folding but I have a second grade EE education.
Jturbide
Sugarfree wrote:

What am I doing here?

having fun

... sorry I'm out Bananallama!
JohnLRice
Sugarfree wrote:

I belive that is the often thought of but seldom implemented FU wave form? hmmm..... hihi

ba1
JohnLRice wrote:
Sugarfree wrote:

I belive that is the often thought of but seldom implemented FU wave form? hmmm..... hihi

OMFG! Thanks John! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Poor guy prolly wanted a serious answer... sad banana
sloth713
Sugarfree I guess I would classify it at some kind of AM synthesis, though I am only a hobbyist and by no means an expert.

also that is hilarious JohnLRice lolspew
ranix
Sugarfree wrote:
I patched an audio-range sine wave into a VCA CV Input
and a VCA Output to back to a VCA Input.

you mean feedback? or sin->vca->vca? is the vca response lin or exp?
JohnLRice
ba1 wrote:
Poor guy prolly wanted a serious answer... sad banana
Indeed! d'oh! Sorry for playing around when you have a serious question that hasn't been answered yet, Sugarfree! oops
Sugarfree
yes, I mean feedback.

[VCO] Sin out -> [VCA1] CV In
[VCA1] Out -> [VCA1] In
[VCA1] Alternate Out -> Speakers

VCA response is linear.
Thalassa
Hi sugarfree , in my opinion the patch that you describe theoretically doesn't have sense.

In a perfect world a VCA has infinite CV rejection. That means that the CV signal is not present at all at the output. So if you make a feedback loop between the input and the output of the VCA doesn't matter that you have a CV signal , the output will be 0.

The problem is that in reality the VCAs have limited CV rejection and a small portion of the CV input is present at the output. . The C107 for example has more or less 80db CV rejection, the Q108 over 60db.
Using your patch you are creating a feedback loop that amplifies those residual signals and saturates the VCA.

The output signal is a really hot signal ( 30Vpp ) and as you can see in your first picture the output is clipping. When you say that it sounds sometimes like a frequency divider is because you clip so much the signal that it becomes a square wave.

I wouldn't recommend you to use this patch. You are forcing the VCA to work in a range really out of its specs and maybe in the long term that could damage the VCA.

Also the signal is so hot that you could damage your external equipment if you connect the VCA directly.
laxlaxlax
Thalassa wrote:

I wouldn't recommend you to use this patch. --/-- you could damage your external equipment if you connect the VCA directly.

So it IS the FU patch..
ranix
you can use something that can handle a hot input to bring it back down, like another VCA. feedback + clipping is fun w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1