MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Panel Teaser
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Panel Teaser
Flareless
I can't give a ton of details yet but I can tell you this; I've got a great new source for blank panels and soon these panels will be available to you too.

A local vendor has been working on MU panels. I have been fortunate enough to have some input in their design. I can't say who it is although I will say the company is well established in the Eurorack community.

The panels are aluminum and are direct replacements for Dotcom single and double space panels. Here's one next to a Dotcom panel

Like the old Coca Cola Challenge... you try to tell the difference hihi

The quality is outstanding and I'm looking forward to screening them tomorrow!

During the design phase a run of the panels came out with an incorrect tab near the bends in the top and bottom of the panels. I was given one of these panels painted entirely black. I think I'm going to use it on the next 1U module I make for myself. I think the totally black panel looks wicked awesome! I'd like to get some feedback on it. If there is enough demand perhaps they'll produce all black panels for sale as well.

I'm very excited this vendor is making and selling these panels. When they go on sale I'll post details here or more likely this company will.
EPTC
So I value the blank suspense you have on display ... but is the reveal here that they'll be unbelievably bargain busting cheap, too?

I mean dotcom's Q131 blank (love that it actual has a module number) is TWELVE BUCKS. And the quality is pretty damn perfect , right?

Maybe I'm looking at your post as me being a consumer of blank panels, not as a module maker. Do all 5U module makers buy their blanks from Roger?

Is this blank hype for module producers or blank purchasers?

All black looks nice and cool, though.
JohnLRice
Flareless wrote:
Looks nice. Are they painted or anodized? The exposed side margins on the standard one looks a little thin?
Eric the Red
Even though Dotcom blanks are cheap, I'm sure shipping from Texas to Canada isn't. I bet there's some big savings you get on that front.

-Eric
Klangzaun
How do they sound? lol

Seriously, I like it. Would fit to cotk system as well.
EPTC
Eric the Red wrote:
Even though Dotcom blanks are cheap, I'm sure shipping from Texas to Canada isn't.

Yeah, considering that I do see your point. (I'm here in Texas so I never even think of that with dotcom products) - Pardon that.

Was in a funny mood last night with the reply. It's a fun topic to make jokes, of course.

Don't look at me with those blank expressions!
Eric the Red
EPTC wrote:
Eric the Red wrote:
Even though Dotcom blanks are cheap, I'm sure shipping from Texas to Canada isn't.

Yeah, considering that I do see your point. (I'm here in Texas so I never even think of that with dotcom products) - Pardon that.

Was in a funny mood last night with the reply. It's a fun topic to make jokes, of course.

Don't look at me with those blank expressions!

Haha I'm in a funny mood 24/7 - sadly my wife is at the end of all my pranks. Apparently when I play sound clips from It and she hears Pennywise saying "we all float down here" coming up through the vents she doesn't find it as funny as I do.
Flareless
Hey guys. Thanks for all the replies from both myself and the vendor. He's trying to fit these new panels into the marketplace.

True Roger's panels are awesome and they are the standard by which others are judged. I've purchased over a hundred blanks over the past couple of years and never had issue with any of them.

That said, I've paid full pop for each one as no volume discounts are available and Eric is correct about getting them up here to Canada. By the time they land in my hand they're almost $25 for a single width panel.

For these panels I can simply drive through the countryside for under 15 minutes, pick them up and grab a coffee at Tim Horton's. Much nicer than waiting for the mail carrier to drop the box off 1 - 2 weeks after ordering them then paying her an additional penalty in taxes and government handling fees.

The panels, in answer to JLR's question, are painted. I really like the surface texture. They feel awesome and look great. We discussed the width of the paint versus the Dotcom panels. There looks to be maybe a millimetre difference. I'm going to see how it affects the screens I have when I silkscreen some panels this afternoon.

I haven't got a definitive market definition from the vendor. I'm guessing they're not expecting someone to order several modules from Dotcom and forego on blanks so they can order them elsewhere. I believe bulk pricing is in the works which is fantastic for folks like myself who buy in larger volumes.

We also discussed the black panels. The more I look at them the more I like them despite their deviation from the standardized MU look. I mean, I've got several Caleb Condit panels, a Re: Synthesis panel and an STG module which all differ from the Dotcom standard and of all those plus the jet black I really like the jet black best of all. I'm going to build myself a 1U module and use the black panel over the next week or so. I'll post pics when it's done. Probably an Oakley VC ADSR but I'm not sure yet.

Aside from single and double panels the vendor has mentioned quad panels and for the next run (drum roll please) triple space panels. The veritable unicorn of MU panels. I know some of the 4U modules I've built would happily sit in 3U.

So please keep those comments and thoughts coming. The vendor is watching the thread and will chime in when everything is set up and good to go. Thanks again!
boothnavy
I am also interested in peoples' thoughts on the "all black" panel. It is MUCH easier for the powder coater to not have to mask the raw blanks. I am about to fabricate a large quantity of them for our modules and just wonder if traditional Moog modular folks would scoff at then not having the glimpse of raw aluminum on the edges of the flanges...
Klangzaun
I prefer the ones with the silver rails.

Or more "crazy" stuff with some figures cut in the panels.
Leverkusen
This looks very interesting though I am just about to order a bulk of blinds from dotcom and don't know if it would be worth waiting. Oversea shipping from Texas seems a little cost intensive but I am not sure if it would make such a difference from Canada.

The black one looks very nice and vaderish - I'd love to see how more of them fit together before going that route... Darth Vader
Flareless
boothnavy wrote:
... It is MUCH easier for the powder coater to not have to mask the raw blanks. ...

This is what I was told too. A good part of the production cost is the time consuming process of masking the panels.

Your panels would look totally bitchin' with the orange on all black!

Speaking of colours. One of the other things we talked about this morning was the possibility of creating panels in single painted colours (e.g. all yellow, all green, all blue, etc...) Would anyone find these options interesting / useful / desirable?

When I used to skydive my colours were black, purple and neon green and the idea of a modular in these colours (or at least a row of my modular) seems kind of cool to me.

josaka
personally I would have gone all black ..no contest.. if there was an option ..

....your designs are great tony .. some of the consistently best in 5u world..!
Flareless
Leverkusen wrote:
The black one looks very nice and vaderish - I'd love to see how more of them fit together before going that route... Darth Vader

I'll ask my vendor for a few more so I can get a photo of them in a row.

It'd be like a stealth modular Mr. Green
kcd06
Quote:
wonder if traditional Moog modular folks would scoff at then not having the glimpse of raw aluminum on the edges of the flanges...

Well, if someone got really wound up over the lack of uncoated AL at the edges of their panels, its not something that cannot be remedied in about 30 seconds with a dremel and a flap wheel.
Eric the Red
I like the all black ones.
boothnavy -as much as I love your chrome modules, I think all flat black panels would look just as good. Could have a bit of a hot rod vibe to them with red knobs. Not orange, it would look too much like a jack-o-lantern.

Flareless - what's the drive like from Detroit/Windsor to you? If I needed some panels it might be easier to pop in than get them shipped.
Eric the Red
For other colors... where is that picture of the Purple Dotcom when we need it...
Flareless
Eric the Red wrote:
Flareless - what's the drive like from Detroit/Windsor to you? If I needed some panels it might be easier to pop in than get them shipped.

I'm about 3 hours from the border.

I want to clarify that when these panels become commercially available they will be sold by the manufacturer and not through Lower West Side Studio. I will merely be a humble client.

Presently this company sells globally with merchandise available through stores like the Moog Store across Canada. I think for panels though there will likely be direct sales, although please don't quote me on that as I don't represent nor speak for this company.

I just like their stuff!
JohnLRice
boothnavy wrote:
I am also interested in peoples' thoughts on the "all black" panel. It is MUCH easier for the powder coater to not have to mask the raw blanks. I am about to fabricate a large quantity of them for our modules and just wonder if traditional Moog modular folks would scoff at then not having the glimpse of raw aluminum on the edges of the flanges...
Back when MOTM was more of as happen' thing there were complaints and concern over the lack of definition between modules. Part of that was because of the 'grid' with most controls and jacks in the same relative positions from module to module but part of it was because the panels are solid black and people tried to do various things to create better module to module visual separation.

It wouldn't be quite as bad with all black DotCom style panels since the edges are curved and there are notches at top and bottom but it's something to keep in mind.
Sugarfree
I personally don't like the all black panels. It's easier on the eyes to see the silver boundaries between modules.
OTOH I'm not fond of Caleb Condit's panels either. Too much style over clarity.

To my eyes Moon Modular has the best balance of old and modern. Beautifully spaced controls without overcrowding or clutter.
JohnLRice
Eric the Red wrote:
boothnavy -as much as I love your chrome modules, I think all flat black panels would look just as good. Could have a bit of a hot rod vibe to them with red knobs. Not orange, it would look too much like a jack-o-lantern.
Oh my, a modular made up entirely of alternating chrome and solid black panels would look love fap fap fap... Lotsa Love fap fap fap... love
josaka
Eric the Red wrote:
boothnavy Could have a bit of a hot rod vibe to them with red knobs.

Flareless
^ NICE!!! thumbs up
ba1
The all black panels don't particularly excite me, but they wouldn't deter me either. I can imagine them looking nice. It wouldn't really matter since my system is so inconsistent looking already. I wouldn't be interested in the colored panels unless I were building a whole system, like the chrome-green Stroh modular system that popped up here a few years back. That thing was a beauty! There's a few FSFX panels in the Noisebug store that are all black, but they have these weird little tabs at the top and bottom. They look nice though. Perhaps Jason's trying to solve the same problem.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1