MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expanding Korg ms 20
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Expanding Korg ms 20
iJean
Hi!
Firstly I bought Arturia Minibrute, than I got vintage Korg Ms20. And Now I want to expand my sound. So maybe I could start building my system, using those two synths.

So, that is the idea:
I need some power supply for system, and maybe I could start with some oscilator. Because I can't use korg's keyboard (cv oct/volt -/- Hz/volt...), I should probably use Arturia (it also has velocity and aftertouch), so I need midi to CV. Than I need mixer, because VCO outputs are to hot, and I need volume potentiometer. Than i could connect: cv to VCO, wave to mix, mix to MS20 ext signal in, trigger to MS20 trig in. So now I could use korgs VCF and LFO.
Than: some wave from VCO to external signal processor, and I should get right CV for Korg. Than I could also use all MS 20 functionality.
And maybe, if I switch arturia to hold and plug output to Mix, I should get 4 osc synth.

Is it possible? hihi
addendum
This may help? https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-u-201-hz-v-to-v-oct-converter

But IMO the way to go is not aiming to use the MS 20 keyboard to control other synths, but to use a master controller with a MIDI2CV device that has both V/oct and Hz/V outs. For example Kenton have made several of these, they are now discontinued but you'll probably find some used ones if you post an ad in the WTB subforum.
Plattform
For the Midi to Cv, I have this one : https://www.thomann.de/fr/kenton_pro_solo_mkii.htm

The Kenton Pro Solo mk2 it has V/Oct and Hz/V and 3 different gate and trigger type. It works well for the ms 20!

Here you can find the manual to see what setings you will need for what kind of synth:
http://www.kentonuk.com/kmanualspdf/psolo2man.pdf
iJean
Thank you for fast answers! (I am new here)

I don't think I will need this converters, because I want to make (someday) stand alone system. Ms20 is only accessory for that time, when I don't have everything.
So I think, I won't need this, or?
addendum
Well you had mentioned MIDI2CV yourself. Not sure if I'm following. If you want to avoid any conversion though, maybe you can find some Hz/V modules to control from your MS 20 and process its output. I think Metasonix has a few such modules?
Huba-Swift
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but hopefully I do...
I own a MS-20, Minibrute, and a 5U modular. The Mini pairs quite well with the modular (just get some 1/4" to 3.5mm adaptor cables). I quite often use my Minibrute's sequencer to drive my modular since I don't have a dedicated sequencer. One thing to keep in mind about the Minibrute is that it does not send arp/seq data through the midi out, only through it's cv out, so I always use the cv outs on the Mini. About the patch you mentioned. I believe that the MS-20 also uses a different trigger. You could try this:
Mini's 1v/oct out -> 5Uosc 1v/oct in
5Uosc sine wave -> MS-20 External Signal Processor's Signal In
Same 5Uosc (other waveform) -> Mixer In
Minibrute Audio -> Mixer In
Mixer Out -> MS-20 Ext Signal In.
External Signal Processor CV out -> VCO1+2 CV In
All the pitches should track along with the Minibrute. I'm not 100% this will work, and it doesn't account for the Minibrute's gate signal, but I'll experiment with some patches myself and try to get back to you on what works.

Edit: I wasn't able to find a way to convert both the 1v/oct and the trigger type in one patch, so I resorted to using a 5U Envelope generator. I think the best use of the MS-20 in a 5U setup is just to use its Track & Hold, Modulation generator, and VCA, and Noise Generator. All of these work without any hitches in 5U. I suppose if you were to get
1x VCO
1x Filter
1x Envelope Generator
1x Multiple
and 1x Mixer, that would get you a good start with modular and it would allow you to take advantage of the MS-20s functions while using the Minibrute as a controller.
EPTC
iJean wrote:
I need some power supply for system, and maybe I could start with some oscilator. Because I can't use korg's keyboard (cv oct/volt -/- Hz/volt...)

But you -can- use the korg's keyboard, and then some. You just need conversion. In terms of 5U format size, what you're describing as being an interface/conduit between Korg and other devices is the Korg MS-02

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2015/04/korg-ms-02-interface-cvgate-convert er.html

This would allow you to play the keyboard to control other synth gear, and have other synth gear control your Korg. It's increasingly less and less cheap, though.

If you go Eurorack there's a perfect product that emulates this nicely, the English Tear: http://www.analoguehaven.com/theharvestman/englishtear/

I recently spent a few months looking at the best product to just change Volts to Hz (not the other way around, to control a Metasonix R55) and got the Acidlab MS2, which is based on the same circuit as that one component of the Korg MS-02. It's lovely but they're tricky to find, but only manages half of what you're looking to achieve (v-Hz).

Seems like the English Tear will do what you're describing. You can get a small doepfer beauty case to power it, but then you'd be at $400 or so - So maybe looking to find a proper MS-02 would be more appropriate.

BTW, Arturia's minibrute is an excellent cv/gate keyboard. Sends out a nice hot 10v-12v gate for stubborn synths, even. If you get a converter for the korg and the brute, you'll have a really nice control station. (Though be mindful of attenuating that gate if the input only calls for 0-5v)

Edit to add:

iJean wrote:
I don't think I will need this converters, because I want to make (someday) stand alone system. Ms20 is only accessory for that time, when I don't have everything.

Just saw that. Well, ha, you might find a lot of use in the MS20 if you get it interfacing with other modular. Converters can be used with everything else, too. Cheers.
EPTC
EPTC
addendum wrote:
This may help? https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-u-201-hz-v-to-v-oct-converter

Wow, addendum, I thought I'd seen all the hz/v converters - Hadn't seen the Ladik one - Thanks for the link!

Pardon the triple post here, too. I went to reply with this postscript and inadvertently posted this reply twice.
iJean
Huba-Swift wrote:
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but hopefully I do...
I own a MS-20, Minibrute, and a 5U modular. The Mini pairs quite well with the modular (just get some 1/4" to 3.5mm adaptor cables). I quite often use my Minibrute's sequencer to drive my modular since I don't have a dedicated sequencer. One thing to keep in mind about the Minibrute is that it does not send arp/seq data through the midi out, only through it's cv out, so I always use the cv outs on the Mini. About the patch you mentioned. I believe that the MS-20 also uses a different trigger. You could try this:
Mini's 1v/oct out -> 5Uosc 1v/oct in
5Uosc sine wave -> MS-20 External Signal Processor's Signal In
Same 5Uosc (other waveform) -> Mixer In
Minibrute Audio -> Mixer In
Mixer Out -> MS-20 Ext Signal In.
External Signal Processor CV out -> VCO1+2 CV In
All the pitches should track along with the Minibrute. I'm not 100% this will work, and it doesn't account for the Minibrute's gate signal, but I'll experiment with some patches myself and try to get back to you on what works.

Edit: I wasn't able to find a way to convert both the 1v/oct and the trigger type in one patch, so I resorted to using a 5U Envelope generator. I think the best use of the MS-20 in a 5U setup is just to use its Track & Hold, Modulation generator, and VCA, and Noise Generator. All of these work without any hitches in 5U. I suppose if you were to get
1x VCO
1x Filter
1x Envelope Generator
1x Multiple
and 1x Mixer, that would get you a good start with modular and it would allow you to take advantage of the MS-20s functions while using the Minibrute as a controller.

That is really usefull, thanks! It would be great, if you could try some patches! hihi
I think trigger works ok - I accidently connect (didn't know about different CVs), and it was ok (except the pitch d'oh! )

EPTC wrote:
But you -can- use the korg's keyboard, and then some. You just need conversion. In terms of 5U format size, what you're describing as being an interface/conduit between Korg and other devices is the Korg MS-02

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2015/04/korg-ms-02-interface-cvgate-convert er.html

This would allow you to play the keyboard to control other synth gear, and have other synth gear control your Korg. It's increasingly less and less cheap, though.

If you go Eurorack there's a perfect product that emulates this nicely, the English Tear: http://www.analoguehaven.com/theharvestman/englishtear/

I recently spent a few months looking at the best product to just change Volts to Hz (not the other way around, to control a Metasonix R55) and got the Acidlab MS2, which is based on the same circuit as that one component of the Korg MS-02. It's lovely but they're tricky to find, but only manages half of what you're looking to achieve (v-Hz).

Seems like the English Tear will do what you're describing. You can get a small doepfer beauty case to power it, but then you'd be at $400 or so - So maybe looking to find a proper MS-02 would be more appropriate.

Yeah, this is also an option. But Arturias keyboard have velocity and aftertouch (and just two octaves...). I saw dotcom MIDI controller and I could do something with that. You know, some vibrato on aftertouch, and filter modulation on velocity. But I don't know how.. Possible?

But if we are talking about the converters:
Where can I get MS-02?
Isn't there any cheaper way? (its a f***ing converter)

And just silly question:
I am from Europe. Where can I buy things? USA (synthesyzers.com etc.) or is there any better option?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1