MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Volca Kick vs euro BD modules w/similar price tags
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Volca Kick vs euro BD modules w/similar price tags
Zvark
Greetings!

I have a Volca Kick and if you've used one you know it's a beast. However, I'm finally getting into eurorack and want something with similar sound/features, but with cv inputs, for a similar price. Does this exist?

Since I already own the Kick I already have the voice (and sequencer), so would it just be cheaper to have someone add cv mods to it (and maybe rack it?) rather than selling it for a fraction of what I paid (retail) and buying a whole new expensive module? Having the built in sequencer isn't a deal breaker, I can just use my BSP.

Thanks!
c0nsumer
Check out the Delptronics Little Drummer Boy + Expansion. I've got one triggered from my BSP and it's pretty neat. Not the best, but a great way to get a bunch of discretely triggerable drum sounds.
DMR
TipTop 909 BD, Hexinverter Mutant Bass Drum, Hexinverter BD9, Bastl Tea Kick, among others. Buying a bass drum module will always be more expensive / less functionality than the Volca though.
Zvark
DMR wrote:
Buying a bass drum module will always be more expensive / less functionality than the Volca though.

So maybe just have someone mod it to add some cv control. I have no idea how much something like that would cost, but I do know a few people to ask.

If I were to buy an expensive BD module though, wouldn't the SSF Entity or Audio Damage BoomTschak be a better option rather than Hexinverter BD9? Or is that just a matter of more $ = more knobs/controls & cv jacks?
c0nsumer
My suggestion is not to chase getting more value out of what you've already bought. Compare what you want (eurorack / CV drum) minus what you can sell the Beats for against the cost of having it modded / racked. And don't forget all the HP that something like a Volca Beats will take up.

I imagine the price would be non-trivial, as it'd involve adding a bunch of new functionality to the module.
TheRosskonian
c0nsumer wrote:
My suggestion is not to chase getting more value out of what you've already bought.

I would agree with this, stick with what you have got. Do not forget, you can always trigger the Volca by setting the sequence length to 1 step and using the sync in to trigger it. Unless you had some specific bass drum module you like or want to get really crazy with CV modulation (which I think you can do over MIDI with the Beatstep), I would work with what you have. Maybe invest in a line-in module so you can route the Volca (or other gear) through your modular, if you already have some other module you want to run it through.
Zvark
TheRosskonian wrote:
you can always trigger the Volca by setting the sequence length to 1 step and using the sync in to trigger it.

d'oh! I hadn't thought about doing it that way! thumbs up
crm114
Hexinverter Bassdrum module is amazing. You can find one used for a little more than what you would get a volca for.
budinis
TheRosskonian wrote:
Do not forget, you can always trigger the Volca by setting the sequence length to 1 step and using the sync in to trigger it.

thanks for this tipp also from my side! really good idea thumbs up
chachi
i got a ladik m-215 for cheap and have been having a lot of fun triggering the volca beats from it. for $70 you can have the m-216 with all the updated features and have the Kick as a triggerable outboard module.
void23
chachi wrote:
i got a ladik m-215 for cheap and have been having a lot of fun triggering the volca beats from it. for $70 you can have the m-216 with all the updated features and have the Kick as a triggerable outboard module.

I little fancier, but that's how I run my Analog Rytm from my rack. Those Ladik modules are just so cheap for such a great way of integrating your MIDI-based percussion into your system.
The Grump
TheRosskonian wrote:
Do not forget, you can always trigger the Volca by setting the sequence length to 1 step and using the sync in to trigger it.

Oh hell yeah!! One could also arrange a small sequence of hits with the Touch FX, etc., no spaces, and use sync to trigger the sequence. Seems like a fantastic opportunity for Euclidean stuff.
kay_k
I had a Volca kick and found it produced huge kicks but I always found the two oscillators would be phasing a little bit too much and I'd rather wanted a single sine kick so I went the route you want to head. I find most X0X style clones do not give you the versatile range of the volca. (people suggesting that, never heard a kick from the Volca on a big system)

It is almost impossible to achieve that within the same price range (even if you take the original price tag of the volca not second hand prices)!
But anyway here is what I do:

Ladik C-041 dual env (ca. 60€) channel 1 (in AD setting) into a

LPZW.modules WK2 (came free for some weird reason, but you can take any other attenuator) attenuated signal into

PMF uVCO V/oct input (DIY, ca. 50€) then sine out (or square if you want rough) into

Ripples (DIY dunno maybe 50€ too - new its 170€) so I can shave of some high end and also get the VCA controlled by the C-041 second channel in AR mode (gate time controls the hold)

I find it important to have a different env for the VCA than the pitch env, so I can have only a wee bit of blip in the attack but a long decay overall.
Also I love to use a little attack time in the VCA when I want the kick not to stand out in the mids and highs.

Also one selling point for my the WK2 here: the free second channel comes with an offset, since the pitch env is normaled to the second channel you can invert it and add a full scale offset and already have the sidechain envelope for other drums. wink

You can also get a TipTop One and mix in some sampled attack clicks before the ripples (also something I do sometimes)
You can also use two ripples which gives you a simple two operator FM setup in self resonance (little FM in the attack is crazy cool).

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/804525

I addition to that:
Consider a Michigan Synthworks SY0.5 - bloody brilliant kicks outta that module.
kay_k
-- very frustrating
Nino
TheRosskonian wrote:

I had this quote in mind for years now. I tried this but the result is chaos. SOmetimes no kick drum would play, sometimes two in a row. I used different trigger lenghts but the result is still not usable.

Yes, it plays nicely when receiving a steady rate, like 4 to the floor is no problem. But trying to trigger some patterns with Metron was not possible and created hickup crazyness.

Also tried different settings with the SYNC in, rising edge falling edge of pulse...

Any ideas?
TheRosskonian
Nino wrote:
TheRosskonian wrote:

I had this quote in mind for years now. I tried this but the result is chaos. SOmetimes no kick drum would play, sometimes two in a row. I used different trigger lenghts but the result is still not usable.

Yes, it plays nicely when receiving a steady rate, like 4 to the floor is no problem. But trying to trigger some patterns with Metron was not possible and created hickup crazyness.

Also tried different settings with the SYNC in, rising edge falling edge of pulse...

Any ideas?

I think this is a limitation of the Volca Kick itself where it will skip steps. I do not remember the exact workaround, but I think it won't trigger if the decay is longer than the next step/trigger.
Nino
Interesting point. I will try that (though i'm sceptic oops).
And of course it'll feel a bit limited to be able to use it that way only.
Rex Coil 7
kay_k wrote:
I had a Volca kick and found it produced huge kicks but I always found the two oscillators would be phasing a little bit too much and I'd rather wanted a single sine kick so I went the route you want to head.

I thought the Volca Kick used a version 1 Korg MS-20 filter as it's "oscillator"? There aren't "two oscillators" in it, just the MS-20 filter which is used as a sine wave oscillator to produce it's sound.

hmmm.....
kwaidan
Here’s info on how to convert a Volca into a Eurorack module:

Volca to Euro
Nino

I mean this doesn't look like it's only moving when it receives a trigger, more like syncing to a clock, predicting the next pulses and doing its thing.

:(
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1