Qu-Bit Nebulae v2

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Neb2 firmware, danish06

Post by danishchairs » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:00 am

Here’s an updated version of my alternative firmware for the Neb2: danish06

This version includes all the enhancements from the previous version, plus the following:
  • Allows PD instruments to be loaded and run without crashing.
    Robustifies the code.
    Correctly sets default/startup speed and pitch settings.
All the instruments I’ve tested work fine with this version of the firmware.

------------------------------
I think the software described in this post works well, but recognize that software is like speech - sometimes we express things that are not exactly what we meant or intended. Please use these alternative versions at your own risk. (It is recommended that you keep a copy of the official firmware file from Qu-Bit, in case you need to reinstall an official version to your module.)

Sound precedes music | Instruments for Neb2 module

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:27 pm

Always a good idea to robustify your code

Fedor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fedor » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:48 pm

I too have the rebooting problem now, so how do you make it work again? Thanks!

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:03 pm

Fedor wrote:I too have the rebooting problem now, so how do you make it work again? Thanks!
From one page back in this thread:

One version of firmware from Qu-Bit is available on their GitHub repository.

This version of the firmware DOES fix the source switching glitch.

Note that the GitHub version of the firmware also has updated code in their default granular looper instrument. (I don't know any changes in the instrument code would produce different results than you might expect after using the older code, but be aware that they are not identical.)

If you are using (or going to use) instruments from the user bank (this would be any instruments that you write yourself or download and then install on your module), and if you want to use an official version of the firmware, then you'll want to be using firmware from Qu-Bit's GitHub repository (at least until they update the version on their company website).

---------------------
NOTE - you can also use the alternative firmware that I developed. It was built on the GitHub version and includes the fix.

Fedor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fedor » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:15 pm

danishchairs
Thanks man, I just didn't get that updating the firmware was in fact the solution to make it work again. 8-)

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:45 am

Fedor wrote:danishchairs
Thanks man, I just didn't get that updating the firmware was in fact the solution to make it work again. 8-)
:doh: Sorry - it would have been good to include that bit of information!

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:51 am

I MUCH Thanky You danishchairs !

got to load and play the new one last night :love: (DC 06).
well, maybe i was playing the 05 reverse one ?( file selection on the window knob :love: ) since i added this .instr file to the usb flash drive

:party:

goes now and looks if he can load the "clouds" thingding. (never tryed this so far)

:sb:
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

Cortega
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cortega » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:24 pm

is there a overview somewhere about all changes are made to the danishchairs danish06 Firmware against the Factory Firmware ?

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:04 pm

I don't understand the loading of files one bit, it seems completely random when a file will load and not from a USB stick (I'm using the one that came with the module) - but when a file does load, and when the magic gets going with this thing - oh boy. By far the most interesting of the granular modules out there that I've tried. I reckon I should just start using the live input and record from that instead ...

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:06 pm

Cortega wrote:is there a overview somewhere about all changes are made to the danishchairs danish06 Firmware against the Factory Firmware ?
I’m not sure what you mean by an “overview,” but the change log on the danish06 page should get you started.

migrations
Common Wiggler

using as a live processor

Post by migrations » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:30 pm

So, please bear with me, but I feel as though I'm missing something when it comes to using this module to process incoming audio. As far as I can tell there isnt a way to pass audio through this module and effect it as you would with say, a reverb, or filter, but rather it must be recorded into the buffer first? I seem to have an issue when doing this where if i want to process audio i have to place the blend knob in the middle, record the input, then move the knob either clockwise or counter clockwise to hear the effected signal through either the phase vocoded processing or through the granular processing... I see how that works, the problem comes from when i want to continuously resample from the input. because the buffer only records what is happening at the output, it seems as though every time i want to resample whats occuring at the input (IE, the signal that I want to process) I have to move the blend knob back into the middle so the module can "hear" what to record. This makes for a somewhat awkward experience, especially when sending a gate to the record input to process something rhythmically. It seems to just want to rerecord what i'm already processing unless the knob is directly in the middle. Is this how this is supposed to work? it seems very clunky, and I dont know that I would consider this a way to "process live audio" as it needs to constantly be rerecorded into the buffer, and to do so it requires the signal to constantly be returned to "dry". I feel like i have to be missing something here. Am I incorrect? Is there another, more intuitive way to go about processing the sound coming into the input? IE have the processing buffer listen to the input, before the blend knob, rather than after?

thanks!

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:24 pm

+1
you´re not the only one ;)
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:15 pm

Can you change the code to only record the dry signal regardless of blend knob? I'm looking but it's....kind of a lot going on.

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:40 pm

Would love to only record the live input as well. Havent gotten around to looking at code but started to build a similar thing in PD. Need to finish it
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

migrations
Common Wiggler

Post by migrations » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Funky40 wrote:+1
OK, glad im not crazy. I thought for sure that I must be missing something because TBH I think that in every other way this module is brilliantly designed. I just assumed I was missing some important step in the process. Even trying it recording in circular recording mode still doesnt really achieve what I expected, though it does seem to come closer. Also, when sending triggers to the record input, to try to get a semblance of live input processing, I notice that it tends to make it glitch out. It will just start dropping audio until I turn it off, or switch the source to read from disk...

muffmuffmuff
Learning to Wiggle

Post by muffmuffmuff » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:52 pm

migrations wrote:
OK, glad im not crazy. I thought for sure that I must be missing something because TBH I think that in every other way this module is brilliantly designed. I just assumed I was missing some important step in the process. Even trying it recording in circular recording mode still doesnt really achieve what I expected, though it does seem to come closer. Also, when sending triggers to the record input, to try to get a semblance of live input processing, I notice that it tends to make it glitch out. It will just start dropping audio until I turn it off, or switch the source to read from disk...
This little change in the code worked for me:
viewtopic.php?p=3001250#3001250

:tu:

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:33 pm

For those following closely, a correction:

One page back, I talked about the two different versions of official Qu-Bit firmware (one on their website (v 2.1.1) and the other on GitHub (v 2.1.2)).

At the time, I said that v 2.1.1 didn't fix the "source switching" glitch. That was wrong - v 2.1.1 has fixed the "source switching" glitch. (I had forgotten about this particular glitch.)

I should have said that v 2.1.1 does not fix the "user instrument power-off" glitch.

To fix the "user instrument power-off" glitch at this time, you'll need the v 2.1.2 firmware, or my alternative firmware.

-------------------------

Software versions and glitch descriptions benefit from precise numbers and names. Sorry for the confusion. I edited my post from June 26th with this updated information.
This post was edited for clarity.

migrations
Common Wiggler

Post by migrations » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:04 pm

muffmuffmuff wrote:
migrations wrote:
This little change in the code worked for me:
viewtopic.php?p=3001250#3001250

:tu:
gave this a shot - didnt seem to work. I changed the code as the poster stated to, however the lines that they said the code appeared on were totally different. maybe due to a firmware revision since then? Either way when recording, it wouldnt capture anything in the buffer unless the blend was in the center. Oh well, no big deal. In addition to this, when recording I often get a really nasty chopping almost like a square wave tremolo sound on the recording. just cutting in and out in a really unpleasant way, which then gets recorded into the buffer. anyone else hear this?

happy to use this module as a sampler as thats where it really seems to shine. all the rest is just a cool add on but as a sample mangler it really is incredible so I dont really care if it cant do anything else

ddoyen
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ddoyen » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:51 pm

is a little bit of lag when shifting pitch using the 1 volt per octave normal?

For example if I make a really tiny sample size so it sounds like an oscillator tone, and send a sequencer to the 1 volt per octave, if i run the nebulae through a vca, when the envelope opens the vca, i can hear a tiny bit of the previous note of the sequence.

ddoyen
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ddoyen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:34 pm

Any help? :despair:

danishchairs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by danishchairs » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:14 am

ddoyen wrote:is a little bit of lag when shifting pitch using the 1 volt per octave normal?

For example if I make a really tiny sample size so it sounds like an oscillator tone, and send a sequencer to the 1 volt per octave, if i run the nebulae through a vca, when the envelope opens the vca, i can hear a tiny bit of the previous note of the sequence.
There was some discussion earlier in this thread about latency and processing time. Perhaps that will help.

muffmuffmuff
Learning to Wiggle

Post by muffmuffmuff » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:59 pm

ddoyen wrote:is a little bit of lag when shifting pitch using the 1 volt per octave normal?

I tried your patch and I have the same behaviour.

hemeroscopium
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hemeroscopium » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:40 am

I'm just gonna ask here because its hard to see any video of that kind of use:

I wanna do "Steve Reich's phasing" with 2 nebs, will that work ?

1. Use manual latch to start recording on both Nebs simultaneously
2. Record same audio to both Nebs
3. Just slightly move the speed knob down on one Neb
4. Achieve phasing?

Or is there any simpler way to do it Q.Q
An allusion to a place that exists only in our mind, in our senses, that is ever-changing and mutable, but is nonetheless real. It is delimited by the references of the horizon, by the physical limits, defined by light, and it happens in time.

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Gyroscope » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:58 am

hemeroscopium wrote:I'm just gonna ask here because its hard to see any video of that kind of use:

4. Achieve phasing?

I ignore if there's a simpler way to do this but what you describe will let you get the result you want.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:04 am

hemeroscopium wrote:I'm just gonna ask here because its hard to see any video of that kind of use:

4. Achieve phasing?

Yes, though there’s been some talk about real-time recording behaviour on this thread to check out.

But, and I say this as a happy Nebulae v2 owner, if you haven’t bought your two Nebs yet, this is one of the things an Octatrack (ok, not Euro) does well, and a mk1 is considerably cheaper than two Nebulae v2.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”