MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Qu-Bit Nebulae v2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46  Next [all]
Author Qu-Bit Nebulae v2
danishchairs
scragz wrote:
The OEM firmware is good! You don't have to install any of the third party open source developed firmware. The one on Github is 100% written by Qubit, I don't think they have merged in a single line of community written code.

Qu-Bit deserves a lot of credit for their firmware, but it does contain a little community-written code, including the fix for the bug that prevents the module from rebooting correctly after powering off with a user bank instrument loaded. (More details are available on GitHub, as well as throughout this thread.)
Zymos
Totally misguided to diss this module because you somehow got the idea that the firmware is half baked due to being open source.
I can't speak for any of the additional instruments, but the basic granular sampler has been totally solid for me during months of use.
scragz
danishchairs wrote:
scragz wrote:
The OEM firmware is good! You don't have to install any of the third party open source developed firmware. The one on Github is 100% written by Qubit, I don't think they have merged in a single line of community written code.

Qu-Bit deserves a lot of credit for their firmware, but it does contain a little community-written code, including the fix for the bug that prevents the module from rebooting correctly after powering off with a user bank instrument loaded. (More details are available on GitHub, as well as throughout this thread.)

Oh! Yeah, sorry I was kind of exaggerating but I didn't realize that fix came from the community. This thread is so long!

What I mostly meant was what 909one was saying about it being mostly cobbled together from community developed like an OSS project wasn't quite correct.
ersatzplanet
I really don't want to derail this thread any so answer via PM or email, but this thread seems to have a lot of folks in it that know the inner workings of the modules, and programming of them, that I don't. It is about the Nebulae v1 though. I still have a pair of them and love one feature not readily available on the pair of v2 ones I also have - the MIDI input. I would love to be able to re-program them so that they respond to only one MIDI channel instead of the default omni mode they currently reside in. I don't need to change this all the time, I would dedicate them to a separate channel each and leave them to it. If there is an easy way to change the main program on them, and one of you folk can figure out an easy way of doing it, PM me with any info you can. Thanks!
909one
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried this on the Neb at all?

https://patchstorage.com/quclouds/
yrn1
909one wrote:

Yes, i’ve run it for a couple of performances. Did map the controls differently though. Sound quality seemed better than on the real clouds, though that’s of course subjective.
909one
yrn1 wrote:
909one wrote:

Yes, i’ve run it for a couple of performances. Did map the controls differently though. Sound quality seemed better than on the real clouds, though that’s of course subjective.

Is installation indeed as simple as putting the 'clouds~.pd_linux' on the SD Card and then loading the 'qclouds.pd' onto the USB stick?

Also, that was my big gripe with Clouds, I thought it sounded kinda bad. It would be cool to have a better version of that.
yrn1
909one wrote:

Is installation indeed as simple as putting the 'clouds~.pd_linux' on the SD Card and then loading the 'qclouds.pd' onto the USB stick?

Also, that was my big gripe with Clouds, I thought it sounded kinda bad. It would be cool to have a better version of that.

I ssh’ed into the module to put the pd_linux on the card, but essentially, yes, it was that simple. At first I thought it didn’t work, but after pressing some buttons, it did. I can’t remember which ones I needed to press, because I changed the mapping of the knobs and buttons to something that suited me better.

I’m currently trying to create a PD patch that behaves like clouds, but is native to the nebulae (so without clouds~.pd_linux). That sounds even better. But it’s far from finished. I’ll share it when done...
danishchairs
Here’s an updated version of my alternative firmware for the Neb2: danish06

This version includes all the enhancements from the previous version, plus the following:
    Allows PD instruments to be loaded and run without crashing.
    Robustifies the code.
    Correctly sets default/startup speed and pitch settings.
All the instruments I’ve tested work fine with this version of the firmware.

------------------------------
I think the software described in this post works well, but recognize that software is like speech - sometimes we express things that are not exactly what we meant or intended. Please use these alternative versions at your own risk. (It is recommended that you keep a copy of the official firmware file from Qu-Bit, in case you need to reinstall an official version to your module.)
scragz
Always a good idea to robustify your code
Fedor
I too have the rebooting problem now, so how do you make it work again? Thanks!
danishchairs
Fedor wrote:
I too have the rebooting problem now, so how do you make it work again? Thanks!

From one page back in this thread:

One version of firmware from Qu-Bit is available on their GitHub repository.

This version of the firmware DOES fix the source switching glitch.

Note that the GitHub version of the firmware also has updated code in their default granular looper instrument. (I don't know any changes in the instrument code would produce different results than you might expect after using the older code, but be aware that they are not identical.)

If you are using (or going to use) instruments from the user bank (this would be any instruments that you write yourself or download and then install on your module), and if you want to use an official version of the firmware, then you'll want to be using firmware from Qu-Bit's GitHub repository (at least until they update the version on their company website).

---------------------
NOTE - you can also use the alternative firmware that I developed. It was built on the GitHub version and includes the fix.
Fedor
danishchairs
Thanks man, I just didn't get that updating the firmware was in fact the solution to make it work again. cool
danishchairs
Fedor wrote:
danishchairs
Thanks man, I just didn't get that updating the firmware was in fact the solution to make it work again. cool

d'oh! Sorry - it would have been good to include that bit of information!
Funky40
I MUCH Thanky You danishchairs !

got to load and play the new one last night love (DC 06).
well, maybe i was playing the 05 reverse one ?( file selection on the window knob love ) since i added this .instr file to the usb flash drive

w00t

goes now and looks if he can load the "clouds" thingding. (never tryed this so far)

SlayerBadger!
Cortega
is there a overview somewhere about all changes are made to the danishchairs danish06 Firmware against the Factory Firmware ?
Daisuk
I don't understand the loading of files one bit, it seems completely random when a file will load and not from a USB stick (I'm using the one that came with the module) - but when a file does load, and when the magic gets going with this thing - oh boy. By far the most interesting of the granular modules out there that I've tried. I reckon I should just start using the live input and record from that instead ...
danishchairs
Cortega wrote:
is there a overview somewhere about all changes are made to the danishchairs danish06 Firmware against the Factory Firmware ?

I’m not sure what you mean by an “overview,” but the change log on the danish06 page should get you started.
migrations
So, please bear with me, but I feel as though I'm missing something when it comes to using this module to process incoming audio. As far as I can tell there isnt a way to pass audio through this module and effect it as you would with say, a reverb, or filter, but rather it must be recorded into the buffer first? I seem to have an issue when doing this where if i want to process audio i have to place the blend knob in the middle, record the input, then move the knob either clockwise or counter clockwise to hear the effected signal through either the phase vocoded processing or through the granular processing... I see how that works, the problem comes from when i want to continuously resample from the input. because the buffer only records what is happening at the output, it seems as though every time i want to resample whats occuring at the input (IE, the signal that I want to process) I have to move the blend knob back into the middle so the module can "hear" what to record. This makes for a somewhat awkward experience, especially when sending a gate to the record input to process something rhythmically. It seems to just want to rerecord what i'm already processing unless the knob is directly in the middle. Is this how this is supposed to work? it seems very clunky, and I dont know that I would consider this a way to "process live audio" as it needs to constantly be rerecorded into the buffer, and to do so it requires the signal to constantly be returned to "dry". I feel like i have to be missing something here. Am I incorrect? Is there another, more intuitive way to go about processing the sound coming into the input? IE have the processing buffer listen to the input, before the blend knob, rather than after?

thanks!
Funky40
+1
you´re not the only one wink
scragz
Can you change the code to only record the dry signal regardless of blend knob? I'm looking but it's....kind of a lot going on.
Hi5
Would love to only record the live input as well. Havent gotten around to looking at code but started to build a similar thing in PD. Need to finish it
migrations
Funky40 wrote:
+1

OK, glad im not crazy. I thought for sure that I must be missing something because TBH I think that in every other way this module is brilliantly designed. I just assumed I was missing some important step in the process. Even trying it recording in circular recording mode still doesnt really achieve what I expected, though it does seem to come closer. Also, when sending triggers to the record input, to try to get a semblance of live input processing, I notice that it tends to make it glitch out. It will just start dropping audio until I turn it off, or switch the source to read from disk...
muffmuffmuff
migrations wrote:
Funky40 wrote:
+1

OK, glad im not crazy. I thought for sure that I must be missing something because TBH I think that in every other way this module is brilliantly designed. I just assumed I was missing some important step in the process. Even trying it recording in circular recording mode still doesnt really achieve what I expected, though it does seem to come closer. Also, when sending triggers to the record input, to try to get a semblance of live input processing, I notice that it tends to make it glitch out. It will just start dropping audio until I turn it off, or switch the source to read from disk...

This little change in the code worked for me:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3001250#3001250

thumbs up
danishchairs
For those following closely, a correction:

One page back, I talked about the two different versions of official Qu-Bit firmware (one on their website (v 2.1.1) and the other on GitHub (v 2.1.2)).

At the time, I said that v 2.1.1 didn't fix the "source switching" glitch. That was wrong - v 2.1.1 has fixed the "source switching" glitch. (I had forgotten about this particular glitch.)

I should have said that v 2.1.1 does not fix the "user instrument power-off" glitch.

To fix the "user instrument power-off" glitch at this time, you'll need the v 2.1.2 firmware, or my alternative firmware.

-------------------------

Software versions and glitch descriptions benefit from precise numbers and names. Sorry for the confusion. I edited my post from June 26th with this updated information.
This post was edited for clarity.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46  Next [all]
Page 44 of 46